Close

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    Yea, can't say I would want to eat that either.

Side question, you said that you spent $2k on one order. I am guessing that included DPs and Exhaust? Any luck getting those in? Thoughts on the exhaust?

I bought the intercooler, dps and st coils.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DallasBoosted Click here to enlarge
    How does it cost $150 to ship an intercooler?
    Call USPS and ask? I don't know that's what it costs to go coast to coast canada to USA.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why doesn't it have the black screen on it. Don't think you would notice the gap with it on.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory Click here to enlarge
    Why doesn't it have the black screen on it. Don't think you would notice the gap with it on.
    I removed it for personal preference. Even if I hide it it's going to bother me...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Understand. I like the sleeper look so anything I have extra does not show much.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory Click here to enlarge
    Understand. I like the sleeper look so anything I have extra does not show much.
    Well looks like ill be going with the sleeper look anyways lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It doesn't. I could ship a whole pallet of intercoolers from east to west coast for $155.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Canada

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You could probably fab up a better ic mounting solution than stock anyways, doesn't the VRSF ic come with those bars that assist the stock mounting points? When I installed my helix (which fits perfect) I was really surprised at the flimsy-ness of the oem ic mount (just a self tapping screw into plastic). I thought any FMIC heavier than stock would stress the $#@! out of it. This is just me spitballing an idea but could you shave the tabs that mount the VRSF to the oem location and only use the secondary mount with a couple spacers? I think that those plus the FMIC hoses should hold it very secure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Derk1127 Click here to enlarge
    You could probably fab up a better ic mounting solution than stock anyways, doesn't the VRSF ic come with those bars that assist the stock mounting points? When I installed my helix (which fits perfect) I was really surprised at the flimsy-ness of the oem ic mount (just a self tapping screw into plastic). I thought any FMIC heavier than stock would stress the $#@! out of it. This is just me spitballing an idea but could you shave the tabs that mount the VRSF to the oem location and only use the secondary mount with a couple spacers? I think that those plus the FMIC hoses should hold it very secure.
    While he may not have the brackets that bolt to the current sway bar locations, this should technically work. I have the "secondary" mounting pieces and the silicone couplers holding my 7" FMIC. I never got the longer screws and just recently learned about them so I am not even using the tabs on the end tanks. 8 months and no issues so far. No, with that being said, I do plan to get longer screws and use them to attach the IC to the stock mounts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great idea. What ill need to do is cut the side mounts off and lower them minimum 1/2" and it should flush up the IC nicely. One thing ill need to modify is the mounts on the back of the IC that "clip" into the radiator. If I relocate the side mounts then ill also need to modify the back mounts to accompany this extra 1/2" difference.

edit: the back mounts clip into the fan not the radiator.
    Last edited by Wescuddles; 04-10-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    While he may not have the brackets that bolt to the current sway bar locations, this should technically work. I have the "secondary" mounting pieces and the silicone couplers holding my 7" FMIC. I never got the longer screws and just recently learned about them so I am not even using the tabs on the end tanks. 8 months and no issues so far. No, with that being said, I do plan to get longer screws and use them to attach the IC to the stock mounts.
    Interesting. I guess the piping is enough to hold it in place. I never got the mounting brackets as they quit supplying them about a month ago. I've had no issues with it staying in place.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OT but are there any comparisons between the 7'' and the Big Tom? I still think the big tom ic makes the most sense. frontal area is more important than depth of so I have read/been told.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wescuddles Click here to enlarge
    Interesting. I guess the piping is enough to hold it in place. I never got the mounting brackets as they quit supplying them about a month ago. I've had no issues with it staying in place.
    Yea, I read that they decided they didn't need them. Really though, between the silicone couplers and the under tray, the IC isn't going anywhere. The front is even slightly supported by the front bumper. I bet you could get away with never using the tabs on the end tanks. Like I said above though, I plan to stick with the brackets and add longer screws for the stock mounts. Just simply observing that one probably could get away with no brackets or tabs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great idea. What ill need to do is cut the side mounts off and lower them minimum 1/2" and it should flush up the IC nicely. One thing ill need to modify is the mounts on the back of the IC that "clip" into the radiator. If I relocate the side mounts then ill also need to modify the back mounts to accompany this extra 1/2" difference.

edit: the back mounts clip into the fan not the radiator.
    The fan clips are really not that big of a deal in my opinion. The helix doesn't have them and its not like there is really any weather stripping or foam on the fan shroud to really seal it up. I actually cut the tabs off the oem ic and double stick taped them to the bottom of my helix to keep the fan snug but I doubt it's still holding. If you find someone to weld onto aluminum then you might as well get it done but if you want to go diy, I'd just shave the side tabs and ic tabs and leave it be. I doubt it will affect performance in any noticible way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OP, this gap would not bother me much. I would be more than a lot bothered if I had paid 1200 for a 7" IC that fit w/o a gap and then found out later I could have got one for 400 with a small gap (that I could fix easy or just put the grill back and hide) that performed just as well.

I bought some Xi DP's from VRSF. The fit & workmanship was good but not other-worldly. The price was fantastic. They work just fine no better or worse than DP's costing 2-3 times as much. DP's are hard to install no matter what esp on an Xi. I also bought some OBX eBay DP's. The workmanship was awful I spent 2 hrs with a dremel, the flow looked bad too, and decided not to install.

I for one am glad to have lower cost well-made though maybe only 99% perfect options which avoid most of the absurd BMW tax some vendors try to pawn off on us. If it saves me 60-75% and works just as well, $#@! yeah. Would like to see some turbo upgrade kits like that but I might be waiting a while.

Take the money you saved and buy your hot GF some more tats. This is not worth getting too upset over IMHO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The fan clips are really not that big of a deal in my opinion. The helix doesn't have them and its not like there is really any weather stripping or foam on the fan shroud to really seal it up. I actually cut the tabs off the oem ic and double stick taped them to the bottom of my helix to keep the fan snug but I doubt it's still holding. If you find someone to weld onto aluminum then you might as well get it done but if you want to go diy, I'd just shave the side tabs and ic tabs and leave it be. I doubt it will affect performance in any noticible way.
    So you mean shave the tabs on the intercooler and also shave the mounting point on the car? The plastic area that you screw into? I think I could get maybe 1/8-1/4" out of the tabs IIRC they were only about 1/2" thick to begin with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    OP, this gap would not bother me much. I would be more than a lot bothered if I had paid 1200 for a 7" IC that fit w/o a gap and then found out later I could have got one for 400 with a small gap (that I could fix easy or just put the grill back and hide) that performed just as well.

I bought some Xi DP's from VRSF. The fit & workmanship was good but not other-worldly. The price was fantastic. They work just fine no better or worse than DP's costing 2-3 times as much. DP's are hard to install no matter what esp on an Xi. I also bought some OBX eBay DP's. The workmanship was awful I spent 2 hrs with a dremel, the flow looked bad too, and decided not to install.

I for one am glad to have lower cost well-made though maybe only 99% perfect options which avoid most of the absurd BMW tax some vendors try to pawn off on us. If it saves me 60-75% and works just as well, $#@! yeah. Would like to see some turbo upgrade kits like that but I might be waiting a while.

Take the money you saved and buy your hot GF some more tats. This is not worth getting too upset over IMHO.
    I just don't have a lot of time to play with the car due to work - hell I put on maybe 4000 miles per year! I expected an IC that installed as advertised.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry I didn't make the explanation clear. I took the little plastic tabs that held the fan snug on the oem ic, modified them with a dremel so they were just shaped like an "L" then double stick taped them to the bottom of the ic. I personally think this is unnecessary though. What I would do if the space bugs you, which I totally understand, is shave the brackets on the VRSF FMIC that attach it to the oem mounting position, use the secondary brackets that mount it to the swaybar area with spacers to get the height where you want them, and tighten the ic hoses (I'm assuming you don't have the stock connectors), if you have the stock connectors the shifting upwards might complicate the connection. Again I don't have a VRSF so I might not have it totally correct, good luck

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry I didn't make the explanation clear. I took the little plastic tabs that held the fan snug on the oem ic, modified them with a dremel so they were just shaped like an "L" then double stick taped them to the bottom of the ic. I personally think this is unnecessary though. What I would do if the space bugs you, which I totally understand, is shave the brackets on the VRSF FMIC that attach it to the oem mounting position, use the secondary brackets that mount it to the swaybar area with spacers to get the height where you want them, and tighten the ic hoses (I'm assuming you don't have the stock connectors), if you have the stock connectors the shifting upwards might complicate the connection. Again I don't have a VRSF so I might not have it totally correct, good luck
    I get what you're saying. Unfortunately I do have stock connectors and never got the secondary brackets as VRSF phased them out because they essentially did nothing. I think ill just have to modify the end tank tabs as best I can or just remove and relocate them lower on the IC.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There's probably enough flex in the stock hoses to move it up. I'd ask VRSF for the brackets, get a little money back and see if that does it. I would def use the secondary brackets with the 7" FMIC cause it looks really heavy, much heavier than oem. And if it doesn't work, you can get the tabs rewelded, or maybe I have it all wrong and your FMIC doesn't have the threaded holes for the secondary bracket?

I get what you're saying. Unfortunately I do have stock connectors and never got the secondary brackets as VRSF phased them out because they essentially did nothing. I think ill just have to modify the end tank tabs as best I can or just remove and relocate them lower on the IC.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There's probably enough flex in the stock hoses to move it up. I'd ask VRSF for the brackets, get a little money back and see if that does it. I would def use the secondary brackets with the 7" FMIC cause it looks really heavy, much heavier than oem. And if it doesn't work, you can get the tabs rewelded, or maybe I have it all wrong and your FMIC doesn't have the threaded holes for the secondary bracket?
    The IC isn't actually much heavier than stock maybe a few lbs that's it. I have the connection point for the brackets but he doesn't stock them as far as I know. Ill see if I can get my buddy to help me this weekend and remove everything again and modify the tabs the best I can.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The IC isn't actually much heavier than stock maybe a few lbs that's it. I have the connection point for the brackets but he doesn't stock them as far as I know. Ill see if I can get my buddy to help me this weekend and remove everything again and modify the tabs the best I can.
    Really? I have the 7" ETS and that thing probably weighed at least 20lbs more than the stock IC.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interesting, my helix was pretty heavy and it's nowhere near as thick as the VRSF, HPF, or ETS. A weight comparison would be interesting, considering the mass of the FMIC probably is a factor in its heat capacity.

Anyways if VRSF doesn't have the brackets, they look easy enough to fab up from metal at Home Depot, or you can call HPF to see if they'll sell just the bracket from their FMIC since they look identical to the VRSF in secondary mounting design.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I didn't weigh it but it didnt seem much heavier to me. I will look for brackets a bit later today good idea thanks!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast