Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VRSF intercooler/radiater "gap"

benzy89 is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

WELL I got $#@!ed at for saying this on the other forum, but I originally had the VRSF DPs and they went in like $#@!. Only making things worse, they rotated and every time I turned left (full lock) the DPs would rub against each other or the subframe. After a week I went insane, emailed back & forth with Tiago (who outright blamed the BMW Mechanic that did the install) and found somebody who bought them for ~3/4s what I paid.

Luckily, HP Autowerks was selling their Akrapovic N54 DP display set for 1/2 off. I jumped on those so fast just because I know that everything Akra goes in with OEM-fitment. Only complaint is I didn't go Akra from the start. All I learned was that the cost appeal of the VRSF's proved that "it was too good to be true" with the $#@! fitment.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    420 WHP on 93 Octane | 460 WHP on E85
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

2. #ADS

Sticky is offline Regular User

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    emailed back & forth with Tiago (who outright blamed the BMW Mechanic that did the install) and found somebody who bought them for ~3/4s what I paid.
    I see you were already at the stage this gentleman is currently at.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3
    You look like a retarded teenager discovering internet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Tiago's logic is completely flawed. Almost as flawed as his products. I've had the same experience with their downpipes that benzy mentioned. Didn't go in nearly as smoothly as the quality downpipes do, rim where they meet up with the turbos was too thick so it was difficult to get the clamp on, and they required several adjustments of the downpipes and stock exhaust itself to eliminate most of the rubbing.

Didn't tell you or sell you on a completely flush fitment? That's some BS right there. I've made intercoolers fit better using zip ties and homemade piping.

He seems to enjoy blaming the install or pretending like your expectations were unrealistic. I get that it's a cheaper alternative intercooler but one would still think it should fit reasonably well. That is a gap I would notice and bother myself about every time I saw it.

/rant
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Also, leave a little review right here:

http://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-7-front...2-e90-e92.html

Click the review tab and let him know what you think. Bet you it never makes it on there.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Tiago = Shiv of Bolt-Ons. Has anyone taken data logs of consecutive hard pulls to see how effective the VRSF FMIC is at IAT Suppression/Avoiding Heatsoak? Very interested to see how it compares to the more established / proven alternatives.

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    Also, leave a little review right here:

http://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-7-front...2-e90-e92.html

Click the review tab and let him know what you think. Bet you it never makes it on there.
    Leaving review on vendor websites that are not 5 start positive will never stay up. It's just another marketing tool to prey on the weak-minded who see 5-stars and go, "oh wow people love." Never questioning the source where it originates. If it didn't work they wouldn't use it.

Regardless, I see no photos there of the fitment. I see no comments on the fitment. It's a value intercooler and it is what it is.

Lovely website design I must say.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)

Guessing a BimmerBoost link won't make it into the reviews eh?

rader1 is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

@rader1 -- I'm ~98% sure you have a 135, what brand FMIC are you using & how does it line up? Think you could provide a pic for comparisons sake?
    Yep, i have a 1. I have the ETS 5" FMIC. It lines up very well but I left all my plastic mesh in the front bumper so it's a little hard to see. I'll grab a pic in a couple hours when I get off work. I just started on 3rd shift so my schedule is a little topsy turvy right now lol

I will say that my buddy has a 5" VRSF FMIC on his car and it fits really well without any odd gaps anywhere. He hasn't had a chance to grab any logs yet though, so I can't comment on it's ability to manage CATs.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

rader1 is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Okay, total brain fart on my end. The car is at the shop getting the turbos swapped out so i can't get a current pic. However, i did find this pic from the day the IC was installed.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

ajm8127 is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wescuddles Click here to enlarge
    The tabs on this intercooler and the relative height of the core are identical to the OEM intercooler.

Tiago Vieira

aim: vrsf tiago
    e: sales@vr-speed.com
    url: http://www.vr-speed.com

@Wescuddles

Can you confirm this is true?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I wouldn't try to use threats though to get what you want necessarily or say you will use the forums against him. I mean call each other up and solve this.

There is a gap, he didn't have pictures showing it on 135's. You aren't the only one with gap. This can be resolved but I understand why you are unhappy.

If he was honest about knowing he can't guarantee flush fitment why show pics with better fitment though? He has some culpability here.
    The issue is he originally stated the gap didnt look normal in another thread. Now he's certain the gap is normal... I'm simply saying I'm going to publish my experience so other e8x owners don't encounter this same problem with poor fitment.

im not taking his offer because I already spent $550 with shipping to get the intercooler home. It's going to cost me $200 to get my refund back. I'd rather sell it privately ill save more money.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

WELL I got $#@!ed at for saying this on the other forum, but I originally had the VRSF DPs and they went in like $#@!. Only making things worse, they rotated and every time I turned left (full lock) the DPs would rub against each other or the subframe. After a week I went insane, emailed back & forth with Tiago (who outright blamed the BMW Mechanic that did the install) and found somebody who bought them for ~3/4s what I paid.

Luckily, HP Autowerks was selling their Akrapovic N54 DP display set for 1/2 off. I jumped on those so fast just because I know that everything Akra goes in with OEM-fitment. Only complaint is I didn't go Akra from the start. All I learned was that the cost appeal of the VRSF's proved that "it was too good to be true" with the $#@! fitment.
    im had the exact issues with the clamps on my dps and have had to adjust them 3 times since install last Saturday.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    Tiago's logic is completely flawed. Almost as flawed as his products. I've had the same experience with their downpipes that benzy mentioned. Didn't go in nearly as smoothly as the quality downpipes do, rim where they meet up with the turbos was too thick so it was difficult to get the clamp on, and they required several adjustments of the downpipes and stock exhaust itself to eliminate most of the rubbing.

Didn't tell you or sell you on a completely flush fitment? That's some BS right there. I've made intercoolers fit better using zip ties and homemade piping.

He seems to enjoy blaming the install or pretending like your expectations were unrealistic. I get that it's a cheaper alternative intercooler but one would still think it should fit reasonably well. That is a gap I would notice and bother myself about every time I saw it.

/rant
    Yep same issues with clamps on turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    @Wescuddles

Can you confirm this is true?
    I can confirm it doesn't sit as high as the stock intercooler that's for sure. Definitely no where near advertised.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    While I agree that VRSF should have fit pictures on all vehicles that they claim this IC fits on, I don't see the overall issue. I get that you don't like the fit of the IC on a 135, but unfortunately, you were the unlucky one to notice it. Happens.

Also, I don't understand how anyone can claim that all "good" reviews on VRSF products come from people that got some sort of discout in return. Making blanket statements here is quite off base. I never got any money for the "review" I wrote on here and I had a fine experience installing their products. I didn't have any of the issues posted above with the flanges and V-band and I don't have this gap. With that being said, I have never had a chance to install, or even look at, other products for the N54 so I cannot comment on the install differences just that everything worked out for me. As a side note, when problems crop up on the other site Tiago does seem to do a good job of handling them, keyword is seem as no one really knows what happens in the background.

Also, @benzy89, comparing Tiago to Shiv seems like an extreme stretch. What are you basing this on? The fact that he didn't post a 135 picture on his website? Or because he has not provided IAT numbers? For whoever asked about IATs, they have been posted on the other site.

@Wescuddles, I feel bad that your situation didn't work out the way you wanted it to but unfortunately this happens sometimes. I thought Tiago made a good gesture on some reimbursement but it seems you have decided to sell the IC anyways. I wish you luck with your next choice.

I can feel my first neg reps coming lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    Also, benzy89 , comparing Tiago to Shiv seems like an extreme stretch. What are you basing this on? The fact that he didn't post a 135 picture on his website? Or because he has not provided IAT numbers? For whoever asked about IATs, they have been posted on the other site.
    Like I said, I personally dealt with him with my VRSF DPs & got similar treatment -- The install had to be wrong & the product was flawless. Big surprise, the DPs were not built to spec & Tiago had to ship me a brand new replacement DP so I could part them out.

It's a questionable business tactic to immediately blame the install & not even acknowledge the possibility that there was a flaw during the build (especially when the parts are built in China under super stringent quality control Click here to enlarge). I haven't seen any VRSF FMIC data so if you know where it is, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I have a friend with a 335xi who has their Xi DPs + 5" FMIC, he's switching to COBB so I'm sure we'll take some data + see how it compares to my Helix.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Just for you benzy:

Click here to enlarge

Full Disclosure, this is not my data. This comes from FirstBMWLA on the other site. He posted these caveats as well:

Log Compare
    ***PLEASE READ****
    I know the log I have is far from ideal for a comparison but it was the only stock log I had to compare the VRSF to.
    Same day logs would've been nice but on the day I installed it weather wasn't fitting to high speed driving and I was anxious to install. So anyway, some data at least.
    Important details on the log:
    1. Ambient temps were within ~5deg of each other but humidity was much higher on the VRSF log as it was done recently vs the stock log which was done before desert monsoon season
    2. The VRSF log was the 3rd of 3 runs vs the stock being the 1st run. Log failed to start on the first 2 runs. So I know the car was getting hotter on subsequent runs.
    3. I shortshifted on the stock log for some reason. To match up the data I cutoff the log from the VRSF around the same point. From the graph it is clear to me the delta in temps would have only increased further had the stocker been ran out further towards redline.
    4. I believe #1-3 made the situation much WORSE for the VRSF yet it still shows to be clearly superior

Click here to enlarge
    Most impressive to me from the log was how long the IAT curve stayed relatively flat with the VRSF vs the near immediate rise with the stocker.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

^^Thanks, that def looks par for the course on a stepped 5" FMIC, so you're def getting your money's worth with the 7" core

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I just posted what I remembered seeing. I seem to remember someone else posting a log somewhere but I don't have the time to dig for it right now.

I have the DPs and 7" FMIC with Cobb. I didn't get a chance to log last year but I will see if I have an opportunity to this year. Seems to be harder for me to find Mexico than it is for other people.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

While I agree that VRSF should have fit pictures on all vehicles that they claim this IC fits on, I don't see the overall issue. I get that you don't like the fit of the IC on a 135, but unfortunately, you were the unlucky one to notice it. Happens.

Also, I don't understand how anyone can claim that all "good" reviews on VRSF products come from people that got some sort of discout in return. Making blanket statements here is quite off base. I never got any money for the "review" I wrote on here and I had a fine experience installing their products. I didn't have any of the issues posted above with the flanges and V-band and I don't have this gap. With that being said, I have never had a chance to install, or even look at, other products for the N54 so I cannot comment on the install differences just that everything worked out for me. As a side note, when problems crop up on the other site Tiago does seem to do a good job of handling them, keyword is seem as no one really knows what happens in the background.

Also, @benzy89 , comparing Tiago to Shiv seems like an extreme stretch. What are you basing this on? The fact that he didn't post a 135 picture on his website? Or because he has not provided IAT numbers? For whoever asked about IATs, they have been posted on the other site.

@Wescuddles , I feel bad that your situation didn't work out the way you wanted it to but unfortunately this happens sometimes. I thought Tiago made a good gesture on some reimbursement but it seems you have decided to sell the IC anyways. I wish you luck with your next choice.

I can feel my first neg reps coming lol.
    Thanks for the kind words and unbiased opinion even owning his products. His reimbursement for a product that doesn't fit as advertise puts me out $300 in shipping. I'm not going to lose $300.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Like I said, I personally dealt with him with my VRSF DPs & got similar treatment -- The install had to be wrong & the product was flawless. Big surprise, the DPs were not built to spec & Tiago had to ship me a brand new replacement DP so I could part them out.
    To be fair, do you know many suppliers that would automatically blame their product? I'm not you so I don't know how long the back and forth took prior to you getting a new set but I don't think suspecting the install is out of the ordinary for any supplier.

I cherry picked your statement so I apologize if you think I pulled it out of context.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wescuddles Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the kind words and unbiased opinion even owning his products. His reimbursement for a product that doesn't fit as advertise puts me out $300 in shipping. I'm not going to lose $300.
    Yea, can't say I would want to eat that either.

Side question, you said that you spent $2k on one order. I am guessing that included DPs and Exhaust? Any luck getting those in? Thoughts on the exhaust?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

I cherry picked your statement so I apologize if you think I pulled it out of context.
    It's all good, part of a good debate lol -- There were a small novel of emails & emails before an agreement was reached. The whole experience with the products & dealing with Tiago just left a really bad taste in my mouth and I've decided I won't do any business with VRSF in the future.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

It's all good, part of a good debate lol -- There were a small novel of emails & emails before an agreement was reached. The whole experience with the products & dealing with Tiago just left a really bad taste in my mouth and I've decided I won't do any business with VRSF in the future.
    Fair enough, everyone has their own experiences and opinions. I had a different experience and that is why I have debated getting their exhaust.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

How does it cost $150 to ship an intercooler?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast