Close

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by redlineryder Click here to enlarge
    I can't believe this made 6 pages
    For real. I just ordered a Vrsf FMIC and plan to keep the cover on to hide the gap. To me for the price of the FMIC you can't complain.

I didn't have any issues installing the DPs either.
    JB4 G5 ISO+BMS DCI+VRSF DPs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by treadlol Click here to enlarge
    For real. I just ordered a Vrsf FMIC and plan to keep the cover on to hide the gap. To me for the price of the FMIC you can't complain.

I didn't have any issues installing the DPs either.
    is everyone complaining about the gap between the radiator and the intercooler, or are they complaining about the low placement of the intercooler in the grill opening?

Honestly, there's no way you can even really make out the ic radiator gap, because it's dark behind it.

I assume everyone is $#@!ing about the low placement in the opening.

In which case, the intercooler fits like stock. The OEM cooler sits low, so it stands to reason any aftermarket cooler that fits like stock will as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by str8shot Click here to enlarge
    is everyone complaining about the gap between the radiator and the intercooler, or are they complaining about the low placement of the intercooler in the grill opening?

Honestly, there's no way you can even really make out the ic radiator gap, because it's dark behind it.

I assume everyone is $#@!ing about the low placement in the opening.

In which case, the intercooler fits like stock. The OEM cooler sits low, so it stands to reason any aftermarket cooler that fits like stock will as well.
    Maybe false claims of identical to stock fitment are complaining to you, but yea the issue is the top of the intercooler not keeping the same gap as stock. My VRSF intercooler sits 3/8" lower then the stock IC and requires modification to sit where it's advertised to. Yes it's a cheap option yes it's made in china and maybe I should have expected issues before purchasing. The purpose of this thread is to try to shed some light on the obvious fitment issues before potential customers read all the bull$#@! 10/10 reviews.

This is kind of a dead issue - most people don't care about a gap because they use the grill. For those that do care the solution is shaving the tabs. Take it for what it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Timeout - there are no oblivious fitment issues or customer BS approval. The stock one has a gap the aftermarket one has gap. The gap varies on the stock units the gap varies on the aftermarket units. The stock one unbolts the aftermarket bolts in hooks up with no alteration to the car.

I am not supporting this FMIC because I did not like the weld quality & would not think based on that the core is top quality but I donít see any attempt by anyone to mislead on how it fits.

You had a plan in your minds eye that did not work out now you are pissed at the world. For whatever reason you wanted to run around with the screen off & the FMIC hanging out for the world to see. When it did not fit tight to the radiator you went a bit overboard on your criticism. Nowhere does anyone's adds say their FMIC will fit tight to the radiator.

Secondly when I responded to your request for measurements I had to lay down on the ground to do it, otherwise its very hard if not impossible to see where they come together. With the screen in place it all but disappears.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory Click here to enlarge
    Timeout - there are no oblivious fitment issues or customer BS approval. The stock one has a gap the aftermarket one has gap. The gap varies on the stock units the gap varies on the aftermarket units. The stock one unbolts the aftermarket bolts in hooks up with no alteration to the car.

I am not supporting this FMIC because I did not like the weld quality & would not think based on that the core is top quality but I don’t see any attempt by anyone to mislead on how it fits.

You had a plan in your minds eye that did not work out now you are pissed at the world. For whatever reason you wanted to run around with the screen off & the FMIC hanging out for the world to see. When it did not fit tight to the radiator you went a bit overboard on your criticism. Nowhere does anyone's adds say their FMIC will fit tight to the radiator.

Secondly when I responded to your request for measurements I had to lay down on the ground to do it, otherwise its very hard if not impossible to see where they come together. With the screen in place it all but disappears.
    Did you not read the email I posted here from Tiago stating his IC fits identical to the stock IC? If not go ahead and do so now. This would be a fitment issue.
    BSM 2008 135i N54
    -VRSF 7" IC -VRSF DP's -n55 mids -BERK race -ER CP -TIAL BOV -BMS DCI -JB4 G5 ISO -ST coils -STOPTECH slotted rotors & pads -SLeK lip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by redlineryder Click here to enlarge
    I can't believe this made 6 pages
    You mean 7.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So do those T-shirts come with the nice rack installed or is that extra?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sold separately I believe. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    So do those T-shirts come with the nice rack installed or is that extra?
    Would cost a hell of a lot more than $20
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Would cost a hell of a lot more than $20
    Yeah funny how that works.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wescuddles Click here to enlarge
    The IC isn't actually much heavier than stock maybe a few lbs that's it.
    This sounded a bit weird to me, I had the cp-e dmic and it weight alot more than the oem one, like at least twice as much?
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wescuddles Click here to enlarge
    This is kind of a dead issue - most people don't care about a gap because they use the grill. For those that do care the solution is shaving the tabs. Take it for what it is.
    I still don't get this - you can't see the gap even with the grill off.

Are you talking about the low placement of the intercooler in the grill opening?

I just can't see how 3/8" (which is less than one centimeter) can make any noticeable difference.

Personally - I think you should pull the IC, and measure from the top of the mounting tab to the top of the intercooler. Do the same on the stock unit. I'd be curious to see how much of a difference there is.

Regardless, 3/8" is so small, all you have to do is throw a piece of weather stripping between them. Foam or rubber, there's lots of options.

If anyone has a stock intercooler laying around and wants to measure from the tab to the top of the IC, I'll go do the same for my uninstalled VRSF.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    This sounded a bit weird to me, I had the cp-e dmic and it weight alot more than the oem one, like at least twice as much?
    It sounds weird because it is not true. The VRSF 7" intercooler is much heavier than stock. Maybe twice as heavy. The core of the VRSF is much larger, and the end tanks are Al instead of PP or whatever plastic is used. I held each in my hands this weekend. I can assure you the VRSF is considerably heavier than the stock FMIC.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

I still don't get this - you can't see the gap even with the grill off.

Are you talking about the low placement of the intercooler in the grill opening?

I just can't see how 3/8" (which is less than one centimeter) can make any noticeable difference.

Personally - I think you should pull the IC, and measure from the top of the mounting tab to the top of the intercooler. Do the same on the stock unit. I'd be curious to see how much of a difference there is.

Regardless, 3/8" is so small, all you have to do is throw a piece of weather stripping between them. Foam or rubber, there's lots of options.

If anyone has a stock intercooler laying around and wants to measure from the tab to the top of the IC, I'll go do the same for my uninstalled VRSF.
    3.75 inches for the stock one. Measured this weekend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    It sounds weird because it is not true. The VRSF 7" intercooler is much heavier than stock. Maybe twice as heavy. The core of the VRSF is much larger, and the end tanks are Al instead of PP or whatever plastic is used. I held each in my hands this weekend. I can assure you the VRSF is considerably heavier than the stock FMIC.
    thanks my OCD is back on normal now Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    3.75 inches for the stock one. Measured this weekend.
    Just measured my uninstalled vrsf. 3.75"s. Should fit identical to stock less the required trimming.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Just measured my uninstalled vrsf. 3.75"s. Should fit identical to stock less the required trimming.
    I didn't measure mine. Likely it's different as the general position of the IC is lower than the stock IC. Oh well like I said ill be shaving the tabs soon.
    BSM 2008 135i N54
    -VRSF 7" IC -VRSF DP's -n55 mids -BERK race -ER CP -TIAL BOV -BMS DCI -JB4 G5 ISO -ST coils -STOPTECH slotted rotors & pads -SLeK lip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I *think* I have a boost leak somewhere so I'll pull the drip tray and while I'm down there will measure the 7" VSRF and compare to the OEM sitting on the side of my garage. Maybe this weekend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820195

dont think the 135i is the only one with this issue!!!!! Here is a thread with a pre lci e92 with the same fitment issue!!!! I want to purchase a fmic also, but will have to go stepped.....This gap is horrible!!!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1373736801

and another example! This one says it all!! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

and this is why i'm much happier getting a giant FMIC haha

some of those gaps o_o
    boop

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I saw and posted on a similar thread on 1a. I have a VRSF 7" and it fits just like stock. There is a small piece of weather strip between the radiator and the intercooler, maybe 1/4 to 3/8" thick, from the factory that covers the small gap.

I'm unsure why it would differ from IC to IC. The mounting tabs are cast right into the endtanks so they should really vary, and the pictures I've seen showing a gap just seem to be missing the weatherstrip that is present on my car and have the same spacing. It looks like it would be easy to knock if off when removing the factory IC or adding the aftermarket one. Might be something to consider when you do your install.

bme30: I can't see anything in those pics but the IC and a dark hole. The radiator is too dark and set back to be able to see it. I'm not sure what that really proves.

Here is my picture. You can actually clearly see the IC, the Radiator, and the little piece of foam between them. Along with that wicked dead bug. The foam is set farther back, so without the really good lighting and macro mode shot it's hard to spot.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I forgot to update this thread. I measured the before/after gaps, as well as compared the height of the VRSF to OEM. They were the same. I have an '07 e90.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

why not just remove it, measure cut the tabs that mount to the car and move them down an inch? simple cut and weld will take care of it
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567