Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shift Sector 4/6

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

4 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Another update: single turbos did well today. Captain Insano's 62mm single turbo ran a fairly ridiculous 163.6mph. Faster than all the other e9x BMWs including Drew's fully built engined supercharged M3. Qualified for the BMW shootout and lost out to a 1000hp turbocharged e46 m3 in the semi finals. But not by much as we expected! Would have loved to meet some of you guys.

cheers,
    shiv

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another update: single turbos did well today. Captain Insano's 62mm single turbo ran a fairly ridiculous 163.6mph. Faster than all the other e9x BMWs including Drew's fully built engined supercharged M3. Qualified for the BMW shootout and lost out to a 1000hp turbocharged e46 m3 in the semi finals. But not by much as we expected! Would have loved to meet some of you guys.

cheers,
    shiv
    Wow. 163.6 is moving. Congrats

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hkninja Click here to enlarge
    How much WHP will the stock 6MT clutch hold? btw, good luck with the build Terry.
    Mine slipped when it got to 470wtq on a mustang dyno. Didn't slip before in the low 400's.
    E92 - Enhanced by BMS, Cobb, Helix, Wavetrac, e85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    Mine slipped when it got to 470wtq on a mustang dyno. Didn't slip before in the low 400's.

Stock clutch should be ok for FBO right? Which clutch did you upgrade to?
    08 535i 6MT - JB4 G5 ISO - Luke performance flash - E40 & BMS 100% Meth - AR design catless DP - ETS 5" intercooler - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - ER chargepipe - HKS BOV - K-sport coilovers - UUC evo SSK - CDV deleted - ACS spoiler -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hkninja Click here to enlarge
    Stock clutch should be ok for FBO right? Which clutch did you upgrade to?
    Like anything, it depends how aggressively you're driving the car (repeated launches are gonna kill your clutch) & you're setup FBO (FBO on Pump, FBO + Meth, FBO on E85, etc). For most people, after you upgrade over the OEM snails, it's a matter of time until the OEM clutch gives up.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    I'm still not sure yet. I would really like to build the tranny as the price I would pay to build it will be almost the same as tax on trading my car for an MT plus a clutch/flywheel. But if no legitimate AT upgrade surfaces before stage 3s start shipping then its looking more like ill be trading her in for an MT. The other problem is if I do trade for an MT I would rather get a 135 but we won't know if it will fit until terry gets his kit installed.

Before Terry's unfortunate motor issue he had at shift sector I was okay with running the stock at till it blew up but I don't want to pay for a built trans AND a built motor.

What are your plans?
    I was planning on just running low boost until a legit tranny upgrade came along. Obviously we know the 517 option ain't gonna work now. Level 10 still sounds like a risk IMO. Your idea of trading it in for a 6mt sounds like the best choice so that I wouldn't have to worry about running it on low boost and worrying about the tranny, then I would just be able to let the stage 3's shine. I would really like to see Terry's choice on the 6at rebuild though...
    E92 FBO Cobb stage 2+

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Like anything, it depends how aggressively you're driving the car (repeated launches are gonna kill your clutch) & you're setup FBO (FBO on Pump, FBO + Meth, FBO on E85, etc). For most people, after you upgrade over the OEM snails, it's a matter of time until the OEM clutch gives up.

To be honest...I never launches my car. I only do 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear pulls.
    08 535i 6MT - JB4 G5 ISO - Luke performance flash - E40 & BMS 100% Meth - AR design catless DP - ETS 5" intercooler - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - ER chargepipe - HKS BOV - K-sport coilovers - UUC evo SSK - CDV deleted - ACS spoiler -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)

Sikh's trans didn't last? Major bummer. Well I'm still grateful he is testing the option out. Saved me $5k and a lot of labor. I guess the search continues for a viable option.

How did Shiv's car run? Would love to see a video of him and Drew going side by side. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 04-07-2013 at 11:09 PM.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    6MT conversions ftw
    if the AT AND motor weren't trashed (thereby dropping the cars value by maaaany thousand(s!) ) it would be cheaper just to get another 135i and swap it all over hah

a 6MT swap excluding labour would be pretty pricey lol ED: on second thoughts.. the 6AT builds are like $4k+ no? yeah well the tranny itself is $1k or so... $3k for the rest of it could be feasible?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    a 6MT swap excluding labour would be pretty pricey lol
    If you can source a 6MT cheaply, it's not gonna be that much more than a 6AT "upgrade". This all depends on where you get the swap done.

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I actually contacted a couple tranny builders I know. No one wanted to touch it, I gave up. Too many other things on my plate.
    'hey guys, so, i've got a few customers that are going to be making HUGE power, and are guaranteed to be needing to buy upgrades for their transmissions, so, you'll be set to make $10k+ pretty easily in the SHORT TERM.. not to mention people unrelated to me in exactly the same boat, and there's no one else reliable in the market what do you think about that?'

'.... nah mate, nah'

apparently people don't like easy money.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

wouldn't you need your DME flashed? Who is capable to doing that? Because youd no longer have a TCU... youd need an engine wire harness, tranny, DME flash? Pedals , etc
    2009 FBO RB'd mtech e92 6AT - 11.3@126
    2008 FBO CR e82 6M - 12.0@120 - Sold

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    If you can source a 6MT cheaply, it's not gonna be that much more than a 6AT "upgrade". This all depends on where you get the swap done.
    yeah i just read it's more like $8k?

i got my 6MT for $750~ plus shipping (UK>Australia), and i spoke to a few wreckers in the states that quoted around the $1000-$1100 mark.. so you could get the transmission itself for cheap.. labour, pedals, trim, shifter, shift linkage, clutch+flywheel.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    wouldn't you need your DME flashed? Who is capable to doing that? Because youd no longer have a TCU... youd need an engine wire harness, tranny, DME flash? Pedals , etc
    for a 6MT swap? the coding is super easy, you pretty much turn the 'has auto' option to off and the CEL goes away... harness doesn't need changing as such.. DME doesn't need a 'flash' just connected to and coded.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    How did Shiv's car run? Would love to see a video of him and Drew going side by side. Click here to enlarge
    So Shiv and Drew actually ran each other?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Wow. 163.6 is moving. Congrats
    Crazy part is a GTR ran 203. Those things are just insane.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

163.6 doesn't sound too impressive to me?

they do the standing 1/4 in what... 130+ now? easily? these are 40mph roll on's (40 correct)? in HALF a mile.. double the distance, +40mph starting speed, and a +30mph speed at the end

what's happening that they're ending so (comparatively) slow compared to the 1/4?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you understand the compounding factor of wind resistance once you get over lets say 100mph? Much more hp is needed to break every mph at high speeds than every mph at low speed.

Look at it this way, even if these were from a standstill 1/2 mile event, many of these cars would still be running their same top mph most likely or very close, that 0-40mph is nothing. It is just pointless for cars at these hp levels and no need to put that launch strain when that isn't the point of this event.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

For the E9x platform, that is moving.

It simply isn't ever going to complete with the big boys out there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

they do the standing 1/4 in what... 130+ now? easily? these are 40mph roll on's (40 correct)? in HALF a mile.. double the distance, +40mph starting speed, and a +30mph speed at the end

what's happening that they're ending so (comparatively) slow compared to the 1/4?
    Well apparently you need to go back to school. I trap 120 in the quarter but only 147 at shift sector. So considering you weren't there and you have no clue as to what you're talking about, if you don't believe me, ask @Sick335.. He trapped low 150s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

If you figure an average of 145mph over that last quarter mile, they'll only be accelerating for about 6 additional seconds. Not much time to keep accelerating. 163 seems pretty damn good to me.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)

163mph is fast. The trap also depends on your start speed. For example at NoFlyZone I was hitting 159mph on the VBOX starting at 40mph. But different track, different day, etc. I raced one of the GTRs at SS on my last run and he did the cheater start where they floor the car at 20mph and fly by you at the cones @ 50mph, lol. So whether you play by the rules and floor it at the cone or before can also effect the net trap.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Like everyone said, the car is hauling ass to be trapping 160s. You need to keep in perspective the power/weight ratio, gearing & aerodynamics of the 3 series vs. other cars you see posting more impressive results, like this one:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge

cheers,
    shiv
    Thats moving man, I wish I would have went today instead of yesterday to watch. Good to hear the cars are running well.
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    N55 World Record: 477WHP / 509WTQ, 11.4 ET / 123MPH
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 645WHP / 654WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record, Stock Motor: 573WHP / 537WTQ
    Website - Email

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wedge1967 Click here to enlarge
    Well apparently you need to go back to school. I trap 120 in the quarter but only 147 at shift sector. So considering you weren't there and you have no clue as to what you're talking about, if you don't believe me, ask @Sick335 .. He trapped low 150s.
    You trap 120's in the 1/4? Welll it's pretty well documented te fastest traps are over 130...

but 120-147 is a decent jump

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    If you figure an average of 145mph over that last quarter mile, they'll only be accelerating for about 6 additional seconds. Not much time to keep accelerating. 163 seems pretty damn good to me.

-Rich

ah that perspective makes it a bit different, 6 seconds is a bit shorter lol

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    For the E9x platform, that is moving.

It simply isn't ever going to complete with the big boys out there.
    Well a gt-r (as far as i can gather) has a cd of 2.7... An e9x is 2.8?

and an e9x would generally have shorter gearing than just about any of the other cars there? (Assuming 3.08?)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wedge1967 Click here to enlarge
    Well apparently you need to go back to school. I trap 120 in the quarter but only 147 at shift sector. So considering you weren't there and you have no clue as to what you're talking about, if you don't believe me, ask @Sick335 .. He trapped low 150s.
    147 is fast as hell for stock turbos and you know it. The laws of nature push back pretty hard.
    pt6466 FFTEC 355i
    gtx3076r FFTEC Evo IX
    Beat up 240sx

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast