Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Question: vrsf intercooler/downpipes and st coilover install

I've looked at all the DIYs for all three I'm just curious if there's anything I should look out for or any hardware I should have extra of? Use a lot of anti-seize?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if this is wrong section.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I don't think the VSRF IC requires cutting, but may want to have a dremel handy.

Downpipes, replace midpipe gaskets, and maybe turbo to DP gaskets if you want. My turbo to DP gaskets were fine the first few times I did it, but after the 3rd or so time they began to compress and leak. Not necessarily an issue if its your first time. One of my V-band clamps gave out on the 3rd or so install too.

Depending on your milage, and people will argue with me here, but I'd replace the top hats, top nuts, spring seats, maybe the nuts holding the top hats to the strut, any any other easily accessible. IMO, I'd only want to do suspension once.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

The 7" VRSF intercooler requires cutting. It's massive compared to the stock on in both volume and weight. Don't use those two small torx screws to pull it into position. Position it with a jack or something, then put the screws in.

I am going to do this and downpipes soon myself. I plan on replacing the turbine housing to down pipe gasket for good measure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Right on thanks for the input guys. I did purchase the 7" core but already plan on removing the bumper for cutting and just ease of install. Ill try to get some mid pipe gaskets today or tomorrow. As for the front springs do I need a heavy duty compressor? Or will my dinky little one work ok? TIA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Ps. Second post here was this thread and already you guys at BB have helped me more then the morons over at e90post. You guys rock!!Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I have a thread about my VRSF stuff here somewhere.

FMIC: I would recommend pulling the fan during install, really easy removal and it opened up a ton of space. Cutting SUCKS but it is by far the hardest part, the rest is a joke. Like @ajm8127 said, jack the FMIC into place. Also, make sure you have the longer screws. I didn't install them and have had no ill effects but I plan on getting some and putting them in soon.

DPs: Make sure you take note of the clocking on the Vbands and re-install them identically. My O2s were tough to get out so I removed them at the connector when still on the DP. I took the DP/O2 out and removed the O2 on the ground, away from the car. Take extra time making sure the DPs aren't toughing eachother or the frame so they don't rattle when you are done.

Can't think of much else.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    I have a thread about my VRSF stuff here somewhere.

FMIC: I would recommend pulling the fan during install, really easy removal and it opened up a ton of space. Cutting SUCKS but it is by far the hardest part, the rest is a joke. Like @ajm8127 said, jack the FMIC into place. Also, make sure you have the longer screws. I didn't install them and have had no ill effects but I plan on getting some and putting them in soon.

DPs: Make sure you take note of the clocking on the Vbands and re-install them identically. My O2s were tough to get out so I removed them at the connector when still on the DP. I took the DP/O2 out and removed the O2 on the ground, away from the car. Take extra time making sure the DPs aren't toughing eachother or the frame so they don't rattle when you are done.

Can't think of much else.
    Thanks a bunch for the info! it'll help me largely during install this Saturday.