Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 37 of 37
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,425
    Rep Points
    32,105.3
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
    The factory quasi dry sump doesn't hurt either Click here to enlarge
    A good point.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19
    Rep Points
    112.9
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Okay Mike, you asked for it!

    On M5board, we are seeing more and more rod bearing failures and as the cars fall more into the hands of DIY guys, I think you'll be getting a lot more customers. There has been a lot of concern for us over there and many of us are looking into rod bearing swaps in-car as a preventive maintenance item.

    I can tell you, there is probably an emerging market for packs of 10 vice 8 on the coated bearings. We have had a few members mention your bearings specifically and I'll be contacting you soon for my own as I approach 66k miles.

    I'm honestly not convinced the quasi-dry sump did a damn thing for us. I do think there could be something to Evolve's comment on another thread here about a customers disdain for the exclusive use of TWS.

    And for the record, we old men have every right to gripe about E60 cup holders. Have you ever tried to retrieve a 20oz Coke bottle from one of those things? Click here to enlarge

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,425
    Rep Points
    32,105.3
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by siado Click here to enlarge
    Okay Mike, you asked for it!

    On M5board, we are seeing more and more rod bearing failures and as the cars fall more into the hands of DIY guys, I think you'll be getting a lot more customers. There has been a lot of concern for us over there and many of us are looking into rod bearing swaps in-car as a preventive maintenance item.

    I can tell you, there is probably an emerging market for packs of 10 vice 8 on the coated bearings. We have had a few members mention your bearings specifically and I'll be contacting you soon for my own as I approach 66k miles.

    I'm honestly not convinced the quasi-dry sump did a damn thing for us. I do think there could be something to Evolve's comment on another thread here about a customers disdain for the exclusive use of TWS.

    And for the record, we old men have every right to gripe about E60 cup holders. Have you ever tried to retrieve a 20oz Coke bottle from one of those things? Click here to enlarge
    @Mike@VAC will your S65 bearings not support the S85?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15
    Rep Points
    43.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    How long does the coating last? It does decrease the clearance so is it safe to assume that, over time, the bearing will eventually end up just as worn as an uncoated one?

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,425
    Rep Points
    32,105.3
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evacheung Click here to enlarge
    How long does the coating last? It does decrease the clearance so is it safe to assume that, over time, the bearing will eventually end up just as worn as an uncoated one?
    @Mike@VAC

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,852
    Rep Points
    3,642.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37


    Yes Reputation No
    They will still wear, just not as fast, but who knows really...people need to run them and check them. I'm pretty disappointed the s65 has these rod bearing issues
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,425
    Rep Points
    32,105.3
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    They will still wear, just not as fast, but who knows really...people need to run them and check them. I'm pretty disappointed the s65 has these rod bearing issues
    People were disappointed with the S54 too. It's just BMW being cheap.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,852
    Rep Points
    3,642.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    People were disappointed with the S54 too. It's just BMW being cheap.
    It really would make me think twice about buying one of these cars with those engines. It's not just the rod bearing material it's also the oiling system.....
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,425
    Rep Points
    32,105.3
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    It really would make me think twice about buying one of these cars with those engines. It's not just the rod bearing material it's also the oiling system.....
    Yes that as well. Hence why I have upgraded pumps. Ideally I would dry sump it. Ideally BMW would have already done that.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,852
    Rep Points
    3,642.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37


    Yes Reputation No
    Looks like I'll be getting a 911 lol
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Victoria Canada
    Posts
    70
    Rep Points
    319.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    I'm starting to think the rod bolts are a big part of this problem we are seeing with the bearings. Stock bolts are like a wet noodle

  12. #37
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Louisville ky
    Posts
    716
    Rep Points
    551.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    do you have any thing for the s54 IE vanos hub "upgrade" @Mike@VAC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •