Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

S65 or wait for S55

I wonder about the new lighter M3, vs. the current one. Light weight does so much for handling and braking not to mention acceleration. One reason I am keeping the S54/z4M-R, at 3200 lbs.
    I am torn about turbos and the associated complexity and potential to be further disconnected (the F30 is being ripped by Road & Track for being numb). Of course the M3 always remedies the current main 3 series ills with a race bred car.
    I want to belly up for an S65 but... reading about crank/bedplate, oiling and other issues makes me wonder about the long term potential for issues (I hold onto cars long after they're paid for) that will rear their ugly head. I realize every series has some issue, but I feel I may have to wait to see what the new M3 is about, and then settle for a lightly used e9x if that's the obvious (better) choice.
    I just can't bring myself to buy it blind. Something tells me to wait. Click here to enlarge
    Thoughts?
    Anyone else in this dilemma?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i feel your pain, and I have an S65 M3..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think you should wait and is the new motor really going to be S55?

The new M3 won't be much if any lighter not sure where you are getting that from. M's are getting way heavy.

I'm sure the new M3 will be nice but I prefer the S65 V8 and I'll take my S65 V8 thank you very much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I personally would wait and see what the new M3 brings about.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    talking to friends at the CCA and various sites, they are said to be targeting the weight of the E46 M3, with an underhood pic of the engine. S55 looks complicated/ lots of plumbing and with the liquid cooled intercooler.
    (had to debadge the pic, eh, Sticky)
    Last edited by 330indy; 04-02-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 330indy Click here to enlarge
    talking to friends at the CCA and various sites, they are said to be targeting the weight of the E46 M3, with an underhood pic of the engine. S55 looks complicated/ lots of plumbing and with the liquid cooled intercooler.
    Let me help you:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't know how they will hit E46 M3 weight.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I traded my 335i for a M3 a few months ago, I love the look & sound of the E92 M3 - it really doesn't get much better than that. But in terms of straight line performance, I question my choice of 'upgrade' every day. Maybe the new turbo'd M3 would have been a better fit for me - maybe I'll trade up again in it's second year production run; that's if I like the look of it (I'm not feeling the new generation BMWs).
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    I traded my 335i for a M3 a few months ago, I love the look & sound of the E92 M3 - it really doesn't get much better than that. But in terms of straight line performance, I question my choice of 'upgrade' every day. Maybe the new turbo'd M3 would have been a better fit for me - maybe I'll trade up again in it's second year production run; that's if I like the look of it (I'm not feeling the new generation BMWs).
    Just tune it or supercharge it. The car runs mid 12's stock how fast do you want to go?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    that's how I felt about the e9x models (have an e46 still).
    but the pics I've seen make the new M out to look quite menacing.
    not sure if that's good or bad.
    Usually if I like something right away it's not always good for the long haul. the opposite is also true.
    I am quite interested in how they dial out turbo lag.
    A friend at a dealer said there are rumors about a third electric turbo that keeps the exhaust driven turbos up at all times
    ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Just tune it or supercharge it. The car runs mid 12's stock how fast do you want to go?
    Supercharging too rich for me right now, but I'm likely getting an Evolve tune & Gintani exhaust very soon.

My altitude hurts the M3's performance quite a bit; so I need to play catch-up with my old car.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    Supercharging too rich for me right now, but I'm likely getting an Evolve tune & Gintani exhaust very soon.

My altitude hurts the M3's performance quite a bit; so I need to play catch-up with my old car.
    A tune and exhaust change the car big time.

Superchargers have dropped quite a bit... that tune + exhaust money might get you an entry level setup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OP -- It depends how you like your M honestly. If you want a high revving screamer that has one of the best sounding exhaust notes I've heard, get the E9x/S65 powered M3. If you would rather have low end TQ & are a sucker for the new tech toys, wait until the new F3x M3/M4 comes out.

While both cars will wear the M3 badges, the changes made between the E9x & F3x are going to be the most substantial & "revolutionary" when compared against previous models
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My bet is that the S55 will rev to 8000 also, knowing the M fanatical engineers....
    i too enjoy the S65's v8 sound

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My bet is that the S55 will rev to 8000 also, knowing the M fanatical engineers....
    Loving your blind optimistic faith so far.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    If they design it to flow like the S54, why is that so hard to fathom? You are being dogmatic and so biased about s65 it is a bit annoying

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If they design it to flow like the S54, why is that so hard to fathom? You are being dogmatic and so biased about s65 it is a bit annoying
    No I'm based in reality. You seem to think the new M3 will be a turbo E46.

The photos of the interior so far have shown a redline of about 7k. None of the new turbo M motors are high revving. None of the new turbo motors have torque curves like the old M motors.

So I'm not being biased I'm being realistic. You are being biased toward the new M3 without having anything grounded in reality. You're basically dreaming.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We will see.
    we will see

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i too enjoy the S65's v8 sound
    No shot it'll rev into the 8s, prob redline somewhere closer to 7k like all the other high power, twin turbo 6-cylinder cars (GTR, the 997.1 & 997.2 Turbo Porsches). Especially considering the S63 Tu redlines in the 7k area (losing ~1.5k RPMs from the S85), the next gen M3/M4 will prob follow a very similar path.

BUT in all honesty it really sounds like you made you've already made up your mind & that you're gonna wait for the next gen M3/M4.

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You probably wouldn't want to get a first year model anyway; it'll likely have it's issues. Get the S65 now, enjoy the sounds, and if you're at sea-level, you'll have around 45hp more than me stock for stock Click here to enlarge

My biz partner has a 997.1 Turbo, and it sounds very humble compared to the M3... which is good, because that's about the only thing I can outgun him on right now (maybe looks, but that's subjective).
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    BUT in all honesty it really sounds like you made you've already made up your mind & that you're gonna wait for the next gen M3/M4.
    Ya exactly...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd get the S65 for sure

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The new M3 won't be much if any lighter not sure where you are getting that from. M's are getting way heavy.
    Just rumors put out by the other forum by their so-called insider.

Getting peoples hopes up for no reason.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I still have doubts FI is good for weekend track warriors. I have seen what blazing hot summer track days do to FI powered cars, they can be a real pain in the ass.

It will be a nice car for the majority of BMW owners, which most are fairly new to the brand. A quick street car with good torque for daily driver.

I am getting the feeling a move to porsche will be needed to get a true no nonsense trackable car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    I still have doubts FI is good for weekend track warriors. I have seen what blazing hot summer track days do to FI powered cars, they can be a real pain in the ass.
    If you're gonna regularly track your E9x M3, you're better off getting a stroker motor -- Whether it's Dinan, RD Sport or VAC. It'll be a properly built motor & def withstand the track "abuse" a lot better than a stock motor with a a blower bolted on.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast