Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Upgraded HPFP coming...

To some in the know, this might be old news, but for those of us who aren't, I took the liberty of reaching out to hpfpupgrade.com and asking whether or not they had any intention of developing an n54/55 HPFP. Here's the answer I got...

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by John@hpfpupgrade.com
    We have upgraded fuel pumps in development. Should have pumps available around summer time.

Thanks,

John

There you have it. Upgraded HPFPs are coming. Hopefully in time for guys to be getting S3s. Summer is going to be awfully interesting!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nice
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    When I talked with them I thought they meant summer 2011, but I guess they meant summer 2015 already back then? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DefactoM6 Click here to enlarge
    To some in the know, this might be old news, but for those of us who aren't, I took the liberty of reaching out to hpfpupgrade.com and asking whether or not they had any intention of developing an n54/55 HPFP. Here's the answer I got...

There you have it. Upgraded HPFPs are coming. Hopefully in time for guys to be getting S3s. Summer is going to be awfully interesting!
    I do not mean to burst your bubble, but they have been saying this for about 2 years. I spoke with John as well about 2 months ago, he assured me they had finally nailed down an upgrade and figured it out after a couple years of testing, and if I sent him a pump he would upgrade it 2-3 days and return it so we could test it on the Stage 3 car. I promptly sent him a pump that day, fast forward a month later, no emails are returned, calls returned. I finally got an email back from his wife informing me they were so busy they had not touched my pump, let alone upgraded it. I said just send it back, I received the pump back in the same box I had sent it in and it looked like it had not even been opened. Since then I have spoken with a few people and this is not uncommon for these guys. I can say with certainty I will have an upgraded pump option on the market long before they do, as once I got it back I decided to just figure it out myself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I do not mean to burst your bubble, but they have been saying this for about 2 years. I spoke with John as well about 2 months ago, he assured me they had finally nailed down an upgrade and figured it out after a couple years of testing, and if I sent him a pump he would upgrade it 2-3 days and return it so we could test it on the Stage 3 car. I promptly sent him a pump that day, fast forward a month later, no emails are returned, calls returned. I finally got an email back from his wife informing me they were so busy they had not touched my pump, let alone upgraded it. I said just send it back, I received the pump back in the same box I had sent it in and it looked like it had not even been opened. Since then I have spoken with a few people and this is not uncommon for these guys. I can say with certainty I will have an upgraded pump option on the market long before they do, as once I got it back I decided to just figure it out myself.
    Tony, if there is going to be an upgraded pump option that actually works, and will be on the market soon, no bubbles shall be burst. Click here to enlarge. I just want to see this thing put to bed!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    im still waiting on a few guys to give me some info from 2-3 years ago.. i cant recall exactly which guy it was not, but was big with the dodge caliber or whatever it was.. i think someone is just gonna have to bite the bullet and pay a premium for one of the places toactually do something about it.. what newer DI cars does bmw have? something has to transfer over..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hopefully Tony's upgrade works out. If it doesn't then the next step is probably for someone to get in touch with another HPFP company(autotech, APR etc...) and to actually offer a blank check and donate a HPFP to get things rolling(rather than just make inquries if one is being worked on.) Nothing gets a company moving like money being thrown their way.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    im still waiting on a few guys to give me some info from 2-3 years ago.. i cant recall exactly which guy it was not, but was big with the dodge caliber or whatever it was.. i think someone is just gonna have to bite the bullet and pay a premium for one of the places toactually do something about it.. what newer DI cars does bmw have? something has to transfer over..
    Are the the new turbo V8s DI?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Are the the new turbo V8s DI?
    Pretty much everything in the current lineup is DI and turbo... n54, n20, n63, n55 u name it
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    X5 M, X6 M, M5 etc all have two HPFPs. None of them has higher capacity. Looking forward to M3 / M4...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    X5 M, X6 M, M5 etc all have two HPFPs. None of them has higher capacity. Looking forward to M3 / M4...
    Interesting....does each hpfp feed one bank? So we could possibly run 2 hpfp's that each feed 3 injectors?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    Interesting....does each hpfp feed one bank? So we could possibly run 2 hpfp's that each feed 3 injectors?
    One HPFP per bank!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    One HPFP per bank!!
    Nice! So I wonder if there is a Y coming off the lpfp or are there two lpfp's as well each feeding a hpfp?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Hopefully Tony's upgrade works out. If it doesn't then the next step is probably for someone to get in touch with another HPFP company(autotech, APR etc...) and to actually offer a blank check and donate a HPFP to get things rolling(rather than just make inquries if one is being worked on.) Nothing gets a company moving like money being thrown their way.
    That was my first effort, I went to these companies and told them I had funds and the market is there, they showed ZERO, read ZERO interest in touching the pump. One said flat out, were not interested, the other said they would pass it on "to the right people" never heard back. I have a local place I had some high hopes in, they pretty much told me to stuff that weird pump up my ass after seeing it. No one wants to mess with it, so I am ruining 1-2 possibly 3 pumps to see if I can make something work. Just read a little deeper, dual pumps are in the bank as a possibility, this is old hat in the diesel world and we have been installing dual HPFP's in duramax's for a long time to get the fuel they need. We are not going down that road until I exhaust options with a single pump.
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 04-02-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol w/e happened to the single turbo and manifold from hpf?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interested in the double pump action. With that being said, does anything have to happen with the in-tank pump to aid the two hpfp. Or am I lost.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    That was my first effort, I went to these companies and told them I had funds and the market is there, they showed ZERO, read ZERO interest in touching the pump. One said flat out, were not interested, the other said they would pass it on "to the right people" never heard back. I have a local place I had some high hopes in, they pretty much told me to stuff that weird pump up my ass after seeing it. No one wants to mess with it, so I am ruining 1-2 possibly 3 pumps to see if I can make something work. Just read a little deeper, dual pumps are in the bank as a possibility, this is old hat in the diesel world and we have been installing dual HPFP's in duramax's for a long time to get the fuel they need. We are not going down that road until I exhaust options with a single pump.
    I was thinking about this today. I guess you would need some sort of adapter on the back on the vacuum pump and then a belt or gears or something to couple the shaft on the rear of the vacuum pump to the two fuel pumps. The thing I was having trouble with is how the DME would handle this. The pumps are controlled directly by the DME, so if you request x volume of fuel and end up with 2x, I imagine the DME would protest.

It almost seems to me like there would need to be a fuel pump piggyback, if you will, that would talk directly to the DME, then it would cut the requested fuel in half, and issue the same command to each pump. The two pumps at half of the requested value would deliver the requested amount of fuel.

Is the HPFP on the CAN bus, or does it just get a signal to produce some percentage of maximum output based on the high pressure sensor and mapping internal to the DME? Is there any communication from the pump back to the DME?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I was thinking about this today. I guess you would need some sort of adapter on the back on the vacuum pump and then a belt or gears or something to couple the shaft on the rear of the vacuum pump to the two fuel pumps. The thing I was having trouble with is how the DME would handle this. The pumps are controlled directly by the DME, so if you request x volume of fuel and end up with 2x, I imagine the DME would protest.

It almost seems to me like there would need to be a fuel pump piggyback, if you will, that would talk directly to the DME, then it would cut the requested fuel in half, and issue the same command to each pump. The two pumps at half of the requested value would deliver the requested amount of fuel.

Is the HPFP on the CAN bus, or does it just get a signal to produce some percentage of maximum output based on the high pressure sensor and mapping internal to the DME? Is there any communication from the pump back to the DME?
    Pump would not be run off the original pump, IF and thats' a huge IF we go this route it will be a completely different location. Once you get that whole HPFP, Vacuum pump, whack-a-mole chain sprocket debacle apart your head immediately starts hurting. Nothing is mounting in that location, Dieder made sure to get a good laugh out of making it harder to hack the HPFP then the DME.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can understand why the whole metal diaphragm and energy transferring oil thing really discourages people when approached about upgrading this pump.

I just read the DME controls the HPFP with PWM, so no CAN here. Makes the dual pump solution a little easier.

Either way, I'll be interested to see what you come up with, Tony. One thing I've figured out in life is when you rely on other people, you usually end up disappointed. If you want to do something right, do it yourself. This is why I do all of my own work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Since we are on this, I have done a little reading but haven't found it yet. Anyone know or can point me where to look on what oil to put back in these things after I crack them apart to mess with them?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

You don't happen to have a sample that you can have analyzed, do you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You don't happen to have a sample that you can have analyzed, do you?
    Ive only pulled one apart and that was a long time ago, didn't save any. I really do not want to ruin anymore then the 2 I already have apart and modified if I don't have to. I imagine it is some kind of single weight synthetic oil. I doubt there would be any information on what this oil is on the web.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was thinking the same thing, a single weight synthetic, probably pretty thin I would think. I was wondering how ATF would work. ATF is designed to be resilient, resist oxidation, and to transfer force hydrostatically.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just ran across this, 4 years and I'm over here hacking up pumps trying to figure it out...HPFP timeline ->Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge..

Click here to enlarge AMS to release Upgraded HPFP's for our cars !! - 09-16-2009, 10:21 AM
    Copied from e90post.com

Well as many of you know we have been working diligently with the boys at CP-E on a fix for this HPFP issue. Well it looks like we have this figured out. This is going to result in two options.

1. An improved OEM pump that flows at OEM spec but carries a liftetime warranty..... Retail should be in the $400 range with your core being sent in.

2. A high Volume HPFP designed for those looking to put bigger turbos on your car (also carrying a lifetime warranty)....Retail should be $800-$1000 with a core being sent in.
    Parts are being produced so this IS going to happen. I just want to see how many of your would be willing to purchase this piece so we can have the right amount of cores ready to be improved.

Eric

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was thinking the same thing, a single weight synthetic, probably pretty thin I would think. I was wondering how ATF would work. ATF is designed to be resilient, resist oxidation, and to transfer force hydrostatically.
    Click here to enlarge I might have already filled one up with synthetic ATF, but I was hoping to find the exact oil it uses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast