Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

7 out of 7 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

My Dakar Yellow E36 M3

I have just joined the ranks of E36 M3 ownership. I recently embarked on a quest to select a weekend spirited driving and occasional track car that I could enjoy during the summers. I had initially had my heart set on an E46 M3. That quickly changed when I stumbled on an absolutely flawless 1998 Dakar Yellow E36 M3.

I responded to the sales advertisement on a bit of a hunch. The advertisement only had one exterior picture of the car and went into very little detail on the specifics of the vehicle itself. I love Dakar Yellow so I decided to tempt fate and contact the seller thinking it was likely a beat up, track thrashed car with little promise due to the lack of pictures or information. Well, I am happy to report that I was dead wrong.

The car was local to me, about 80 kms away, so I met up with the owner at his house. I pull up to his house and I immediately notice that he has 5 garages, I began to think I may have hit the jackpot. The gentlemen is in his late 50ís early 60ís and is an absolute car fanatic. I am sworn to secrecy about what I saw, but imagine some of the most epic vintage Italian race bred machines.

He was the original owner of this car, ordered in 1998, sale price of $64,385 before taxes. He shows me the invoice for the purchase of the car. I read it over and sure enough it is an individual M3 in Dakar Yellow with M-Cross stitched alcantra seats, on board computer, 6 disc CD changer in the trunk and spoiler delete.

I try to contain my excitement and maintain my composure, itís difficult because the car is immaculate. The owner starts walking me around the car as we begin the inspection process. The car has 175,000 kms on the clock, the car had been stored for the last 2 years. In the spring of 2011 the owner had executed the following repair/replacements to the vehicle before it was stored:

• Remove and replace radiator with new OEM radiator
    • Front Left and right lower control arm replacement with new OEM
    • Front Left and right strut replacement with new OEM
    • Replacement of both front and rear shock absorbers with new OEM
    • Replacement of rear upper shock mounts with new OEM
    • Replacement of lower outer rear control arm bushings with new OEM
    • New Michelin Pilot Super Sport Rubber 245/40/17 rears, 225/45/17 fronts
    • Four wheel computerize alignment and dynamic tire balancing
    • Replacement of AC belt, idler pulley and tensioner with new OEM
    • Replacement of Water pump with new OEM
    • Replacement of Thermostat with new OEM
    • Replacement of expansion tank with new OEM
    • Replacement of all brake pads with new OEM

He had put in about $9,000 into the car thinking he was going to give it to his son. That never materialized so the car was then stored and had not seen any seat time since the repairs.
    He hands me a file folder with all the documentation from the inception of the vehicle including all maintenance records and all of the invoices substantiating the work listed above. Needless to say, this car was cared for like you would care for your loved ones.

I was literally stunned by the meticulous nature with which this vehicle was maintained. The documentation was extremely comprehensive, I knew I had found an absolute diamond in the rough. After about 30 mins of inspecting the car, and very quick spirited drive I was sold. This M does not have break neck power that I was used to from my old 135i but it was just a treat in the turns. It felt like a proper driverís car. It owned the road, I was flat out stoked to be in a proper driverís car.

Fast forward two days later, I get the green light from the wife and I deliver a certified cheque for $11,800 and the car is mine!

I have a plan for this vehicle which will be executed over a couple of season as I am on a budget and I need to control my modification urges. I have really thought a lot about what I want in this car, I do want a solid track machine with a balance of good power and exceptional handling. I do not need or want to be the king of the drag strip but I do want to see this car get up and go when I want it. That said, following is my current game plan in this order:

1. Performance driving and track instruction, I am signing up with Raven Performance in Toronto to take lessons from their track drivers who specialize in E36 M3 racing
    2. Floor mats, they old ones are worn and need replacement
    3. Suspension, likely KW v3 coilovers but would appreciate anyoneís feeback regarding what would be the best choice for the E36 M3
    4. Chassis stiffening, xbrace, struts, RTAB, and potentially half cage
    5. Big Brake Kit, to be determined and would appreciate recommendations here as well
    6. Race seats, I want to strip more weight off this already light vehicle
    7. Power mods: could potentially go engine swap but I am also looking at boost options, we will see when the time comes

I look forward to learning about the vehicle, caring for it and slowly transforming it to suit my wants and desires. I will update this thread as I progress but I do apologize in advance as this will likely be a slow and calculated process. I am excited to be a part of the E36 community and look forward to learning from the experience that this community possesses.

Now, on to pictures, apologies for quality as I am no expert with a camera:

Full Length Shot
    Click here to enlarge

Rear Shot
    Click here to enlarge

Front Shot
    Click here to enlarge

Side Angle
    Click here to enlarge

Interior
    Click here to enlarge

Engine Bay
    Click here to enlarge
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Beautiful car man.
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    Beautiful car man.
    Thanks Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    I looked at the thread, S54 swap is definitely something I am considering. I had also thought about an LS swap but I cant for the life of me settle on sticking a domestic motor into an M. I wonder if you can recycle the stock M3 tranny with the S54 or will the tranny need to be swapped as well. A 5 speed S54 would be kind of cool.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    I looked at the thread, S54 swap is definitely something I am considering. I had also thought about an LS swap but I cant for the life of me settle on sticking a domestic motor into an M. I wonder if you can recycle the stock M3 tranny with the S54 or will the tranny need to be swapped as well. A 5 speed S54 would be kind of cool.
    You can install a 5 speed with the S54.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    looks like fun!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    looks like fun!
    Ya looking forward to going through the process, the S52 seems to be a pretty stout motor.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's a clean ass E36!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am going to make some serious adjustments with my plan. I can't for the life of me do anything to the interior of the car at the moment, it pains me to think about tearing up such a rare interior. That said, plans for a cage and seat swaps have been dropped for now. I am going to have the interior professionally cleaned and livened up in the meantime.

I also just had the car on a lift today at Columbus Automotive (Ivo is the man) to conduct a detailed inspection of the frame and I could not be more pleased with the result. The previous owner had the car coated and rust protected, not a spec of rust on the frame. Great news for sure.

Ivo and I also inspected the suspension and can confirm that all brand new OEM parts have been installed including control arms, bushings and shocks. Plans for coilovers are now also dropped.

I am now going to advance my plans for the following:

• Satin Black Apex Arc 8 Rims (still deciding on 17 or 18") with square tire setup
    • Vorshlag camber plates to pick up some front camber (-2.5 degrees) for optimal square setup performance
    • H&R OE Sport Springs for a slight drop that wont compromise suspension
    • Xbrace and sway bars

Would appreciate anyone's advice on 17s or 18s for the rims. Also, the motor is in fatastic condition so boost could very well be in the not so distant future. Motor swap is also out of the question.

Hopefully next update will have pictures with the Apex ARCs and small drop.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you plan on installing bigger brakes in the future you should go with an 18" wheel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very nice pick up
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I love your car, I've always wanted a Dakar e36 m3. I'm anxious to see what you do with it. There are a lot of sources you can find via the internet when it comes to modding the e36 m3... Good luck with the car!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dakar is a classic, period.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome find. S54 junky but I still remember my first M love. Rep for you sir.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Now leaning back toward an LS3 swap. Also may try an S62 or even an S65 swap if we can find a wrecked M3. I don't want to have an FI track car. Anyway, decision will be made after the summer season and I beat on the S52 for a while.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What a find! Congratulations on a great example of a classic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Now leaning back toward an LS3 swap. Also may try an S62 or even an S65 swap if we can find a wrecked M3. I don't want to have an FI track car. Anyway, decision will be made after the summer season and I beat on the S52 for a while.
    LS3 will be more cost effective.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks more and more like I will be doing an S54 swap now. Doing some more research but this appears to be a really incredible option. Just can't bring myself to drop a GM motor into this beauty.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks more and more like I will be doing an S54 swap now. Doing some more research but this appears to be a really incredible option. Just can't bring myself to drop a GM motor into this beauty.
    An S54 swap is a sick choice and way better than a GM Swap IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very nice, Congrats. S54 swap all the way.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    90% S54 10% S62. LS1 is out of the question now. I have found a shop that can do the wiring for me which was my biggest concern. Now its time to start sourcing the motor. Will poke around for an S62 for fun because it would be just ridiculous having that motor in the car.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    S54 over S62 any day. S65 ultimately...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    S54 over S62 any day. S65 ultimately...
    Yes S54 it is no 100%. In speaking with a number of local shops the S62 would double or triple the cost of this project and the gains are not worth it. So, the sourcing begins. I will also be going down to path of getting a full custom exhaust fabbed for it. Anyway, project should begin late fall timeline.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes S54 it is no 100%. In speaking with a number of local shops the S62 would double or triple the cost of this project and the gains are not worth it. So, the sourcing begins. I will also be going down to path of getting a full custom exhaust fabbed for it. Anyway, project should begin late fall timeline.
    Sounds awesome. Looking forward to it.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great choice! S54 E36's feel awesome on the street!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast