Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My main concern would be maintaining spool. Think lighten a lightened flywheel's momentum. This is of course, if the compressor blades are made of plastic as well. If its just the housing, the only real benefit I can see here would be less reliance on metal materials. I'd think that there may be some other things plastics can do that metals cannot.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @klipseracer
    I don't think there's any flywheel effect in play on compressor wheels Click here to enlarge

*benefit, rather.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    only from $#@!ing bmw this kinda $#@! could come. Plastic? really?
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by zeenon53 Click here to enlarge
    well...if you can make guns out of plastic, why not turbo's? Someone needs to get one and upload a CAD file for 3D printing!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    all friction items on poly made guns are still stainless ie barrel /trigger/and tabs on slide .and I predict that 20 years from now we will all have 3d or 4d printers for that matter and what we will be doing when purchacing certain items is just getting a cad file from the web and hit print.and out comes your polymer turbo lol .absolutely going to change everything .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mat Morkin Click here to enlarge
    The best material in the world at transferring heat is gold, then iron btw...,
    Iron isn't so accurate for sure... But gold transfering heat amazingly? It's used for all kindsa heat wrapping because it reflects heat well lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Compressor wheel too? Come on.
    Why not?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Little birdie told me the Stage3 test car is running a DMF. Just sayin.
    Ummm no?

99% sure the proto car is smfw and stg 2 clutch or somethig?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    Iron isn't so accurate for sure... But gold transfering heat amazingly? It's used for all kindsa heat wrapping because it reflects heat well lol
    I don't know why there is even an argument to be had on this subject. Thermal conductivity is a material property that can simply be looked up in a reference book and compared... For example, the thermal conductivities of the materials I have seen mentioned are (keep in mind higher numbers mean it is a better conductor of heat)

Silver: 419 W/m-K
    Copper: 385 W/m-K
    Gold: 301 W/m-K
    Cast Iron: 11.3 - 53.3 W/m-K

Also, keep in mind these values are at room temperature and this is a temperature dependant property so to see the full picture ideally you would plot it vs temperature OR instead consider the values at whatever your operating temperature would be.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JC335xi Click here to enlarge
    I don't know why there is even an argument to be had on this subject. Thermal conductivity is a material property that can simply be looked up in a reference book and compared... For example, the thermal conductivities of the materials I have seen mentioned are (keep in mind higher numbers mean it is a better conductor of heat)

Silver: 419 W/m-K
    Copper: 385 W/m-K
    Gold: 301 W/m-K
    Cast Iron: 11.3 - 53.3 W/m-K

Also, keep in mind these values are at room temperature and this is a temperature dependant property so to see the full picture ideally you would plot it vs temperature OR instead consider the values at whatever your operating temperature would be.
    That's true

I probably should have checked wikipedia, in fact there's an article(s) dedicated to specific properties like this

i should have clarified: gold (foil, all shiny) is an excellent radiant heat reflector, rather than conducting it well... Though silver can do better still, as with most things.. Except for the tarnish resistance

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    My main concern would be maintaining spool. Think lighten a lightened flywheel's momentum. This is of course, if the compressor blades are made of plastic as well. If its just the housing, the only real benefit I can see here would be less reliance on metal materials. I'd think that there may be some other things plastics can do that metals cannot.
    the loss of flywheel effect is made up in response

you will see far far more benefit from a lighter wheel than a heavier wheel, period

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    That's true

I probably should have checked wikipedia, in fact there's an article(s) dedicated to specific properties like this

i should have clarified: gold (foil, all shiny) is an excellent radiant heat reflector, rather than conducting it well... Though silver can do better still, as with most things.. Except for the tarnish resistance

FYI... this is a prety good website for looking up material properties

http://www.matweb.com/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    "Convection is the way heat is transferred from one area to another when there is a "bulk movement of matter." It is the movement of huge amounts of material, taking the heat from one area and placing it in another....When scientists studied good thermal radiators, they discovered that good thermal conductors are also good at conducting electricity. So when you think of a good thermal conductor, think about copper, silver, gold, and platinum."

http://www.physics4kids.com/files/thermo_transfer.html

If you complain about my link, it's as good as Wikipedia Click here to enlarge. I was wrong, silver is good at convection as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The best material in the world at transferring heat is gold, then iron btw...that was an overall conversation point...not pointed at you. Injection molding is expensive to start, but depending on the type of plastic it could take a part from $100 to cast (not machine or finish) to $10, so it depends on numbers.

However, foundries probably pollute more than a injection mold shop because the air set sand contains polyurethane and when it gets wet it seeps into the ground, that's bad news. Lost Wax and Foam are pretty clean though. That is why it is rare that a new foundry opens up, most of them that I know of are so old they are grandfathered in to decades old environmental laws.Click here to enlarge-That's an old foundry, get it?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AltecBX Click here to enlarge
    Pure silver and cooper has better thermal conductivity than gold.
    Not to get in a pissing contest, but conductivity of a medium and convection of a medium are different. I was not speaking of their ability as conductors of heat/energy. I was referring to their abilities of convection of heat/energy because heat & energy moves through the medium relatively slow and even, which is good because it is predictable and has a low chance of warping. That is why you see hot sides of turbos made from iron or sometimes stainless steel. Copper, silver & even aluminum are good at conduction. However, they move heat/energy rapidly. Which is why aluminum is great for making intercoolers because it can be heated a cooled relatively fast, & why my grandmas' corn bread cooks so well in a iron skillet.
    "Convection is the way heat is transferred from one area to another when there is a "bulk movement of matter." It is the movement of huge amounts of material, taking the heat from one area and placing it in another....When scientists studied good thermal radiators, they discovered that good thermal conductors are also good at conducting electricity. So when you think of a good thermal conductor, think about copper, silver, gold, and platinum."

http://www.physics4kids.com/files/thermo_transfer.html

If you complain about my link, it's as good as Wikipedia Click here to enlarge. I was wrong, silver is good at convection as well.
    I'm glad you agree
    335xi Sedan 6AT || Weather(45-60°F)
    -PROcede Rev. 2.5 ~ v5 (3/17 maps) / JB4 (8/21 maps) / COBB (Stg2+FMIC LT Agressive maps)
    †Procede Map2(UT 45 - IGN 40) Aggression Target 2.0 (93 Octane) || 0-60 in 4.0sec
    †Cobb E30 LT (35% Ethanol/65% 93 Octane) || 0-60 in 3.9sec
    AR Design Catless DP || BMS DCI + OCC || ETS 5 FMIC || Alpina B3 Trans Flash || 235/265 19" Michelin PSS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's how I feel.
    I thought the world already ended when BMW started putting turbos on everything Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreamspeed Click here to enlarge
    I thought the world already ended when BMW started putting turbos on everything Click here to enlarge
    It did.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wedge1967 Click here to enlarge
    Well, it was a simple question with no hidden agenda, you know him or you don't. It's easy to read about someone and pass judgement trying to be popular with the majority and a lot of people do just that. Although Shiv hasn't done a good job of picking his battles which hasn't made him the most popular person throughout the forums, he has pushed the platform to new levels and we all know a little competition is good for development. It's a Win-Win for everyone. And yes, I know Shiv. I've also had the pleasure of meeting Terry.

With regard to throwing money at your gearbox, we are all in the same boat. It doesn't matter what tune or what turbo upgrade you go with, eventually you're going to run into the Pay-4-Play monster. So I'm not sure if you're insinuating that if you go with a ST that you also need to pay big money to upgrade your transmission in reality if you go with any upgraded turbo with any tune you'll eventually have to pay big money to upgrade your AT transmission or replace your DMF with a SMF on your MT cars. DCT guys are just SOL. Click here to enlarge

Don't worry, I actually got a laugh out of this also. It would be interesting and comical to see FFTEC using a big plastic turbo to make 700 whp... So my apologies if you thought I was being a prick. It was just a long day... It's also still early today so I haven't had enough coffee to break threw my dry sense of humor... Click here to enlarge

I know you from E90 and would never judge you on any post, as i said, it was a "cheap" shot but, one that at the time i thought was funny!
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sparky68 Click here to enlarge
    I know you from E90 and would never judge you on any post, as i said, it was a "cheap" shot but, one that at the time i thought was funny!
    No worries Sparky. I was just in a mood. I'm having a mid life crisis and need a big turbo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You really would rather have a plastic factory turbo than metal? How much will you gain before you melt the stupid thing?
    It is a thermosetting plastic polymer resin not a thermoplastic resin, it can not melt after the initial injection molding process, it would burn before it melted. Depending on what type of fillers they use(talc, ceramic, glass, carbon) it could disapate heat faster than any alloy or even titanium. They have made engine blocks out of it. my concern would be tolerances, plastics, all plastic expand when heated, most things expand when hot however plastics expand mor than most alloys, so although they disapate heat faster, when heat does become a factor it is affects plastics more dramatically than the same part made out of a metal alloy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by partlowr Click here to enlarge
    It is a thermosetting plastic polymer resin not a thermoplastic resin, it can not melt after the initial injection molding process, it would burn before it melted. Depending on what type of fillers they use(talc, ceramic, glass, carbon) it could disapate heat faster than any alloy or even titanium. They have made engine blocks out of it. my concern would be tolerances, plastics, all plastic expand when heated, most things expand when hot however plastics expand mor than most alloys, so although they disapate heat faster, when heat does become a factor it is affects plastics more dramatically than the same part made out of a metal alloy.
    Burning would be melting wouldn't it?

You guys are acting like this crap is indestructible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Burning would be melting wouldn't it?

You guys are acting like this crap is indestructible.
    In order to produce the kind of heat needed to destruct a thermosetting polymer all of the other rubber hoses, plastic coated wire and plastic under the hood would melt first. This stuff cures at 350-400 degrees F.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by partlowr Click here to enlarge
    In order to produce the kind of heat needed to destruct a thermosetting polymer all of the other rubber hoses, plastic coated wire and plastic under the hood would melt first. This stuff cures at 350-400 degrees F.
    Ok convinced I guess but what about the strength?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a degree in Plastic Technologies and Polymers Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok convinced I guess but what about the strength?
    Without knowing the exact polymer and filler I could not say for sure. Some of this stuff is crazy strong. Some has great torsional strength but terrible impact stregth, meaning it could support a ton of weight or pressure but if you struck it with a hammer you could easily chip or crack it. It would all depend on exact polymer and filler.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast