Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

JB4 Flash via Cobb Accessport

Hey everyone,

Im new to the BMW community and have been doing research on tuning a 2009 135i. I ran into the JB4 Flash via Cobb accessport while on BMS. Just wondering if anyone has purchased this and was it worth the purchase? The combination of simplicity of the AP and quality of JB4 tunes seems like a winner to me...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Plenty of people running this combo, but only becomes necessary with high concentrations of E85, or upgraded turbos. Do some searches and read around a bit, tons of info out there on this topic.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lots of info, details & benefits of the BMS flash on here & N54Tech that you can read about.

Next time try a simple Google search, you might find out that your question already has an answer posted.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Next time try a simple Google search, you might find out that your question already has an answer posted.
    +1

To search a specific site using Google, you can use the "site" keyword. For instance to search bimmerboost.com for information specific to the BMS flash using the Cobb, and the stacking the JB4 on top of it your search string would be "site:bimmerboost.com BMS flash cobb jb4", without the quotes. Interestingly enough, using that search string, the first result is this very thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

If I make a custom map6 on the JB with my own user configs does it then become a PTF piggyback? LOL
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 03-27-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    If I make a custom map6 on the JB with my own user configs does it then become a PTF piggyback? LOL
    It's just the nomenclature that is used by BMS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

OP, If you haven't done any tuning and you want something stealth that can quickly be removed, buy the COBB AP and forget about everything else. If you plan on going meth, buy the HFS-4 Aquamist. I'm currently running the Vishnu PROcede and have PWM Meth and Flex Fuel with Vishnu Flash, but if I had it to do all over again I think I would just go with the COBB AP and Aquamist. I have a few friends who recently switched from JB & PROcede to COBB. Nothing but great reviews.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wedge1967 Click here to enlarge
    if I had it to do all over again I think I would just go with the COBB AP and Aquamist.
    It's never too late to make changes Click here to enlarge

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wedge1967 Click here to enlarge
    OP, If you haven't done any tuning and you want something stealth that can quickly be removed, buy the COBB AP and forget about everything else. If you plan on going meth, buy the HFS-4 Aquamist. I'm currently running the Vishnu PROcede and have PWM Meth and Flex Fuel with Vishnu Flash, but if I had it to do all over again I think I would just go with the COBB AP and Aquamist. I have a few friends who recently switched from JB & PROcede to COBB. Nothing but great reviews.
    Buddy, I'm telling you the Stage3s are calling for you! get a used COBB AP, and switch to Aquamist. Very easy switch Click here to enlarge You know it's the right move! Plus you can practice better your tuning skills with ATR at that point Click here to enlarge
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @avolt1234 , JB4 is a great product but I don;t see why you would stack. One of the two is fine. I would go with COBB having been through both. It's the right move.
    If you are not convinced and you still want to stack, get COBB first and try it out. If you still feel the need to stack, get the JB4...
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The BMS flash is something we developed to augment the JB4 in cases where we need extra fueling or more advance than the factory flash can allow. Generally for cars running greater than 50% E85 mixtures and/or larger than factory turbos. It's just a flash tune. You still need the JB4 in place to do the majority of the tuning. If you run the BMS flash alone then it will only make around 260whp on a dynojet. Less than stock. Click here to enlarge

Currently the only way to load the BMS flash is using a Cobb AP so we stock those as a convenience for customers and match any price on them. The AP we sell is the same one you'd buy anywhere so you can always run their off the shelf maps if you prefer, or do a custom map. But won't have the same features and functionality you get using a JB4.

Plus getting a JB4 on top of the flash tune is better than paying for a flash only custom map. The JB4 is a physical thing that has resale value, comes with custom tuning support, all the in dash features, absolute boost targeting, better meth control/safety, NLS, etc, etc. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 03-27-2013 at 12:39 PM.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LOL In that case we have a PTF Flash and just use the Cobb Accessport to load it and we also have a PTF Piggyback that we load using the JB4 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

You can call what you sell whatever you want. But I would call it a PTF flash map. We wrote the flash map so we call it a BMS flash map. To differentiate between a flash map that Cobb might write, or that some other tuner might write. The Cobb AP is just the device most are using to load/implement flash maps.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    You can call what you sell whatever you want. But I would call it a PTF flash map. We wrote the flash map so we call it a BMS flash map. To differentiate between a flash map that Cobb might write, or that some other tuner might write. The Cobb AP is just the device most are using to load/implement flash maps.
    BMS Flash is simply misleading advertising IMHO Click here to enlarge Just because a map is done to work with an external device in a way that it suits that external device doesn't make it something other than just another Cobb AP map.

Guess I can go buy a couple JB4s and have a PTF piggyback now too yay! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

The JB4 isn't open source so you don't have access to the firmware to write actual maps. But if you did sure it could be called a PTF map. I load flash maps all the time using a non-Cobb interface. What should we call those? Does anyone care?
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

1 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Only thing is the BMS Flash is loaded with a Cobb AP hence a Cobb map Click here to enlarge You see nothing misleading calling it a BMS Flash seriously? Take the BMS Flash settings and apply them to your open source tables on your RB car and run an all out setup on E85. Let me know what happens with fuel Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You guys are being dumb.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BMS PROtune would be more accurate then BMS Flash. It's not like it's anything fancy or special, it's just a map made in ATP/ATR to achieve the higher fueling/timing needs.

It's prob a step in the right direction, but I've never been a fan of generic release products & feel that a PROtune would be much better money spent (custom tune > generic tune), especially if you're now spending money on a JB4 & a COBB AP.

End of the day, run whatever tune/setup you want on your car. If your car runs like $#@! and breaks something OR if it goes and breaks some records, you have nobody but yourself to hold responsible for the decisions you made.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

3 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    On the site it's called "BMS JB4 flash via Cobb AP". I think it's pretty clear, but even OP here was confused. I wanted customers to get from the name that:

1) It's in addition to the JB4 and only really benefits those running lots of E85 or larger turbos
    2) For the purchase price they also get a fully functional Cobb AP unit
    3) It's a special BMS designed flash map that we tailor as needed for their car/needs
    4) We sell the Cobb AP device and will beat any price on it

The JB4 is inherently a "pro tune". It adjusts wastegate base duty cycle, fuel scaling, boost levels, etc, on its own. Even timing if you want to use CPS. All things you'd have a "pro tuner" do manually for you.

When you buy the Cobb from us to add the BMS flash map included in that is us reviewing your maps and making any tweaks that need to be made. Which is the same service PTF offers only they charge $250 for it. It just so happens that the JB4 is so good at learning things that rarely does much need to be changed other than adding or removing a degree of timing here and there, or adjusting flash map fuel scaling. Like I said I don't really understand why someone who has already paid for a Cobb unit would spend $250 more for just a map that has no resale value when you can get a JB4, everything it offers, and its custom tuning support for only $500. Other than the flash only nazis. But different strokes for different folks. There is plenty of business for everyone. Even Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 03-27-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

6 out of 9 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    LOL In that case we have a PTF Flash and just use the Cobb Accessport to load it and we also have a PTF Piggyback that we load using the JB4 Click here to enlarge
    Grow up DZ. Your attacks on BMS make you look real cheap and desperate. Your still only a student when it comes to the N54. So you learnt a little from Shiv then Terry then COBB and now your a "PROtuner"....Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dirty Dog Click here to enlarge
    Grow up DZ. Your attacks on BMS make you look real cheap and desperate. Your still only a student when it comes to the N54. So you learnt a little from Shiv then Terry then COBB and now your a "PROtuner"....Click here to enlarge
    Sure that's one way to look at it I guess.

To be more correct with your analogy though Shiv would be the professor, Terry and I his students Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sure that's one way to look at it I guess.

To be more correct with your analogy though Shiv would be the professor, Terry and I his students Click here to enlarge
    If Shiv's a professor we're all F$&KED then. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dirty Dog Click here to enlarge
    If Shiv's a professor we're all F$&KED then. Click here to enlarge
    I tend to disagree. Shiv is a great tuner, no doubt about that, although an even better sales man. As long as you do your own research and gather your own data it doesn't really matter who your professor or peers are. At least that's what I've tried to do the last 6 years with this platform.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Are we seriously arguing about naming again? Whenever you load some software onto a flash based memory, it's called flashing. Be it obd1, obd2, a phone, a router, a computer bios, a bmw dme, it doesn't matter. You can use the cobb or a bmw actual tool, or a rig you hack together if you know what you're doing. On other devices you can use a usb cable. It's just flashing memory sectors with your info. Cobb makes ots flashes they load with the ap. Ptf writes custom flashes they load with the ap. If they loaded it with a legit tool not something hacked it would still be a flash. Bms makes a binary they flash from the ap. It's not like they are calling it the bms access port. It's a fancy cable that can access the memory in the dme, it's a tool. The maps are flashes.

If you write a custom map 6 that is not a flash, since no binary is ever flashed. It would be a ptf map, however.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast