Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Gun Printing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

3D Gun Printing

Here is a great video from Vice about the guy that has been most successful with 3D printing of an AR-15 lower. This is a total game-changer.

Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cliffs? Don't have 20 min to spare right now.

How can you print a gun?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge This is old as $#@!, and sticky they didn't print the gun. The printed the extended mag. Which are illegal. But 3D printing a gun is not too far IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge This is old as $#@!, and sticky they didn't print the gun. The printed the extended mag. Which are illegal. But 3D printing a gun is not too far IMO.
    I'm stating to understand, watching it.

It's fine if this is old I haven't seen it.

I thought they meant a whole gun they just doing the lower part out of plastic. I see.

I really like this, I like how Americans aren't just accepting the government's curbing of their 2nd amendment rights.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Did you even watch the video? He's printing an AR-15 lower. You know, the only part tracked by the BATF, and the only part which requires an FFL transfer? Yes, he is printing standard capacity mags as well. Look to the end of the video and you will see that they just last week printed a lower that is capable of firing 600 rounds before failing. The first attempts failed after 3-4 rounds due to the recoil forces.

the lower is the hardest part to print. Obviously they can print stocks, fore grips, handles, etc. as well. The only things that can't realistically be printed are the barrel, receiver, bolt assy., and gas tube.
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    you will see that they just last week printed a lower that is capable of firing 600 rounds before failing. The first attempts failed after 3-4 rounds due to the recoil forces.
    Wait so I can just print this out and need no approval or waiting period or anything and legally have my own AR-15?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Wait so I can just print this out and need no approval or waiting period or anything and legally have my own AR-15?
    As the law stands right now, yes. The Feds don't restrict anyone from making their own lower. You just can't transfer it to anyone else. All other parts of an AR aren't serialized or tracked. So you could buy a dozen uppers print a dozen lowers, and nobody would have any record.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think it is illegal to manufacture an AR-15 or any other type of gun in the US. $#@! knowing our crazy laws it probably has a mandatory sentence or something equally $#@!ed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As the law stands right now, yes. The Feds don't restrict anyone from making their own lower. You just can't transfer it to anyone else. All other parts of an AR aren't serialized or tracked. So you could buy a dozen uppers print a dozen lowers, and nobody would have any record.
    So then why would I even care about the laws? Awesome. I can just order the parts and print out the lower and tell them to go $#@! themselves right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So then why would I even care about the laws? Awesome. I can just order the parts and print out the lower and tell them to go $#@! themselves right?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    I think it is illegal to manufacture an AR-15 or any other type of gun in the US. $#@! knowing our crazy laws it probably has a mandatory sentence or something equally $#@!ed.
    It isn't illegal apparently to make your own parts. It shouldn't be. They probably will update the laws or try to but for now you can get away with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The problem I see is the cost of the 3d printer capable of printing out the lower. You can't just buy printed lowers as that counts as a transfer I would guess.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wait can a citizen with no permits legally build/manufacture guns? What happens when you use your home made gun in self defense?

So I can legally make a handgun if I machine the parts myself? What about artillery?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The problem I see is the cost of the 3d printer capable of printing out the lower. You can't just buy printed lowers as that counts as a transfer I would guess.
    Makes sense. The price of 3d printers has come down a HUGE amount but they are still expensive...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Makes sense. The price of 3d printers has come down a HUGE amount but they are still expensive...
    Wait. Technically couldn't you just rent time on a printer and then make the part?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wait can a citizen with no permits legally build/manufacture guns? What happens when you use your home made gun in self defense?

So I can legally make a handgun if I machine the parts myself? What about artillery?
    There we go! Making your own artillery. Now we're thinking.

I want an F22. I'm going to need a pretty sophisticated printer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh damn I want to print a battleship. I'm going to take over some small island nation with it. Hah, our printers are better than yours.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

For semi-autos, yes. If you make a gun that's banned under the FFA (eg full-auto machine guns) you're at risk. As it applies to an AR-15, the only restricted item is the lower, and that only has to do with taking it to full auto. As the guy states in the video, you could always machine your own lower as long as you don't transfer it. Now it's a matter of access to the printer rather than a block of aluminum and a water jet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What is an AR-15 made up of? Why is only the lower regulated? As that controls if it is auto or semi?

I mean feasibly one could print out an auto lower right and just hide it? Only to be used in emergencies? And then dissolved in a bathtub should they try to get it? It is plastic after all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

$30-$50 worth of plastic...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Honestly, thank God this circumvents the laws. These Americans are totally in spirit of freedom and liberty and I love that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Honestly, thank God this circumvents the laws. These Americans are totally in spirit of freedom and liberty and I love that.
    +1 That RT vid that Torgus linked is funny... The girl seemed to be scared about the whole idea. "It's terrifying!!" Calm down and print a gun so you can protect yourself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1 That RT vid that Torgus linked is funny... The girl seemed to be scared about the whole idea. "It's terrifying!!" Calm down and print a gun so you can protect yourself.
    What's terrifying to me is her thought process. But she's a woman to be expected.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    But she's a woman to be expected.
    emerging markets for 3D printer CAD files...

men: guns, car parts, sporting goods
    Women: shoes, dildos, kitchenware

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    emerging markets for 3D printer CAD files...

men: guns, car parts, sporting goods
    Women: shoes, dildos, kitchenware
    LOL

Good call on the kitchenware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast