Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigjae1976 Click here to enlarge
    VAC's systems are being hacked by the Chinese. Then China will copy VAC to make a gov't sponsored BMW tuning company called VAChina.
    I crack myself up sometimes...now I'll grow up.

In case you didn't get it...rhymes with VAGina.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
    We have sold 10s of thousands of bearings for all BMW engines. Most clients are track/race only so these really stand the test of time. Plenty run them in street cars too.
    Exhibit A: 24k 2009 S65
    http://www.germanboost.com/images/im...acs65rb4-1.jpg
    Considering how many sets of bearings are claimed to be sold.. can you share pictures of a used set of VAC coated bearings? I'm very curious how the wear would look after the same mileage, 50K, 100K, etc.. When I was doing research on bearings I couldn't find any of this info and it honestly didn't seem like there was any substantial evidence showing the benefit of coating/treating the bearings.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I replaced my bearings @ 120K. The car is a 2004 M3 that is heavily tracked but is well maintained. Stock motor and the only engine modification is a set of headers. I replaced them with new OEM bearings/bolts and followed the TIS install instructions for rod bolt torquing. I now have ~5,000 additional miles on the car and ~4-5 track days since the bearing replacement, car is still running well. Unless there are some further reports showing the benefits of coated/treated bearings I plan to replace the bearings with another OEM set at 100K intervals.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, tried to get off easy and replace the bearings. Cyl #3 had .006 of clearance and OEM spec is .003 - .007. Still knocked so the motor is now pulled and apart. Going to turn the crank and fit oversized bearings.

Question. It is really worth it to replace the rods and/or pistons?

The goal is to keep this OEM which just makes life easier down the road. My mod and track budget will be almost zero after this rebuild. I'd love to build the head and install some cams but just can't risk spending the funds...is it really an emergency? Lol...to me? Yes. My wife? No.

But...I will risk the funds for forged rods and pistons IF 100k mile old OEM rods and pistons that otherwise seem fine have a good chance of failing. I've seen OEM M54 rods break but I do believe that S54 rods are much stronger.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dan avoN7 Click here to enlarge
    I replaced my bearings @ 120K. The car is a 2004 M3 that is heavily tracked but is well maintained. Stock motor and the only engine modification is a set of headers. I replaced them with new OEM bearings/bolts and followed the TIS install instructions for rod bolt torquing. I now have ~5,000 additional miles on the car and ~4-5 track days since the bearing replacement, car is still running well. Unless there are some further reports showing the benefits of coated/treated bearings I plan to replace the bearings with another OEM set at 100K intervals.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...earings1-1.jpg
    What works for you may not work for everyone else but you do your OEM stuff.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Question. It is really worth it to replace the rods and/or pistons?
    Not if you aren't going for big power. The stock rods are pretty strong and the stock pistons are cast although pretty strong as well and coated for extra strength although how much that helps I do not know. With stock motors going over 700 whp I'd say quite a bit.

But...I will risk the funds for forged rods and pistons IF 100k mile old OEM rods and pistons that otherwise seem fine have a good chance of failing. I've seen OEM M54 rods break but I do believe that S54 rods are much stronger.
    If at 100k I just would if I had the opportunity for peace of mind. Especially if I drove the car hard. Which in my case the answer would be yes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Oval'd a rod so ended up putting in forged rods. Had to straighten and turn the crank. Installed oversized VAC coated main and rod bearings. Pistons, rings and everything else looked really good. Had a little issue with the thrust or something when he test fit the bottom end. I guess the main bearings need to be filed down or something? Either way, got the mystery solved so its all going back together.

So when its all running...what kind of break in does the car need? The guy who is rebuilding my engine is the shop foreman so he's giving the standard answer of 1200 miles. I think that's overkill...more like 200 miles, change the oil and then go.

Thoughts? Maybe @Mike@VAC could chime in?

MY 100TH POST!Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oval'd a rod so ended up putting in forged rods. Had to straighten and turn the crank. Installed oversized VAC coated main and rod bearings. Pistons, rings and everything else looked really good. Had a little issue with the thrust or something when he test fit the bottom end. I guess the main bearings need to be filed down or something? Either way, got the mystery solved so its all going back together.

So when its all running...what kind of break in does the car need? The guy who is rebuilding my engine is the shop foreman so he's giving the standard answer of 1200 miles. I think that's overkill...more like 200 miles, change the oil and then go.

Thoughts? Maybe @Mike@VAC could chime in?

MY 100TH POST!Click here to enlarge
    VAC should be able to advise best regarding this @Mike@VAC

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I called. Basically 100-200 miles under 5500 RPM. The change the oil. Go for broke.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It's alive! Thanks @Mike@VAC!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    NIICE!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Running hard... very nice!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
    NIICE!
    Mike...told you that you'd get a sale! Not sure if it was you but thanks for the speedy help! My engine guy ran into an issue which your tech dept quickly worked through with my guy. If that didn't happen...I wouldn't have been able to make that video.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Running hard... very nice!
    Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mike...told you that you'd get a sale! Not sure if it was you but thanks for the speedy help! My engine guy ran into an issue which your tech dept quickly worked through with my guy. If that didn't happen...I wouldn't have been able to make that video.
    Great news man. M3 belongs on the track ;O

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Thanks!
    Wht was the cost for the rebuild?
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12