Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Anyone running catted downpipes with Dinan tune?

I have a 2012 X5 50i with Dinan Stage 2. I am looking to do some more mods and I was considering catted downpipes with the stock exhaust. (This is a daily driver, so it needs to be quiet enough for the kids.) I am ok with experimenting with moving the O2 sensors out of the exhaust stream if needed to deal with a check engine light.

Does anyone have a similar set up on the N63? Were there worthwhile gains?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If they are catted I think you will be ok. A CEL can also be deleted but with catted pipes it *shouldn't* become an issue.

Nobody I know is running catted pipes with the Dinan tune. I think one person who ran catless got a CEL.

You won't get huge gains with catted and catless really won't be too loud. I'd consider it if I were you and you want some serious gains. Also a more aggressive tune...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    If they are catted I think you will be ok. A CEL can also be deleted but with catted pipes it *shouldn't* become an issue.

Nobody I know is running catted pipes with the Dinan tune. I think one person who ran catless got a CEL.

You won't get huge gains with catted and catless really won't be too loud. I'd consider it if I were you and you want some serious gains. Also a more aggressive tune...

Someone really needs to come up with a solution for the cel. A standalone o2 sim would be great, so you can use regardless of tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
    Someone really needs to come up with a solution for the cel. A standalone o2 sim would be great, so you can use regardless of tune.
    The CEL can be turned off by some tuners now...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Until the truck is out of warranty, I will be staying with the Dinan tune. In the future, I may change my tune based on what is available. I was looking at the catted DP's to avoid the CEL. For some reason, it drives me crazy to see CEL light on in a modern car.

For me, quietness is key. So I need it to stay close to stock. I know that there will be HP to be gained by going catless; but, the chance of a CEL and noise are my two main concerns.

Thanks for the replies.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brian425 Click here to enlarge
    Until the truck is out of warranty, I will be staying with the Dinan tune. In the future, I may change my tune based on what is available. I was looking at the catted DP's to avoid the CEL. For some reason, it drives me crazy to see CEL light on in a modern car.

For me, quietness is key. So I need it to stay close to stock. I know that there will be HP to be gained by going catless; but, the chance of a CEL and noise are my two main concerns.

Thanks for the replies.
    Well downpipes aren't going to really increase the sound all too much considering you still have all your other stock parts in the exhaust system. No matter what downpipes are going to change the sound somewhat.

I'd ask Dinan if they can disable the CEL if I were you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I already checked with Dinan. They said no.

I am no rush to heavily mod the truck. It is the family daily driver, so quiet and reliability are key. I will be doing the intercoolers and intake (when available). Just want to make some mods to make the grocery getter a little more fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The CEL can be turned off by some tuners now...
    As a standalone option, or only with their tune? Any idea if you can still pass emissions tests?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know that you can use spacers or isolators to take the O2 sensors out of the exhaust stream. Effectively, this simply exposes the O2 sensor less gasses and therefore less O2. That has always been my first attempt at curing a O2 sensor related CEL. It is not ideal; but, it can work effectively.

In the past, I have used spark plug non-foulers and drilled out the tip to the size of the O2 sensor. You can experiment with how far out of the stream you want the O2 sensor. At $5 or so each, it is not very expensive to experiment.

I am new to BMW's; but, have played a bit in the DSM and super charged mustang world. The theory should be the same, it is just finding a way to safely execute.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
    As a standalone option, or only with their tune? Any idea if you can still pass emissions tests?
    With their tune. Emissions shouldn't be an issue for these cars for quite a while. Plus emission testing in areas is going OBD-II as I understand it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brian425 Click here to enlarge
    I already checked with Dinan. They said no.

I am no rush to heavily mod the truck. It is the family daily driver, so quiet and reliability are key. I will be doing the intercoolers and intake (when available). Just want to make some mods to make the grocery getter a little more fun.
    I understand, the power is addicting. You have a lot more to gain there... Click here to enlarge