Close

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Getting pretty hard to keep up with all this.
    You need to setup an RSS feed for the forums for your phone/tablet. Makes it easier to keep track.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    You need to setup an RSS feed for the forums for your phone/tablet. Makes it easier to keep track.
    Exists.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Exists.
    Nice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 Click here to enlarge
    He can always get another one.
    Good point. I wasn't thinking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    WTF! I couldn't even beat the faster local cars with 500whp.. 650whp and you can call the car "fast"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    That's what happens when:
    • It doesn't actually work
    • It limits your tune options
    • Its overpriced
    • It completely alters the N54 driving characteristics

I think people love the low-end TQ punch of the N54 (which you'll only get with the twins), and when they got the ST-conversion they were let down that they got a high HP EVO driving feel (laggy & small usable on-boost powerband)
    I don't think this is entirely accurate. I believe you are comparing ST to the upgraded twins that were just tested by Tony? I might have missed some posts, but I believe there are a few customers that are happy with their singles and driving around with them. Regarding the limited tuning choices, I believe there is no reason Terry could not tune singles, and in fact he tunes them, as far as I know? Do you mean that Cobb couldn't tune STs? It could be a challenge for them, or maybe not, but you can still have more tunes for a single than what you can drive at a time Click here to enlarge . By completely altering N54 driving characteristics you are probably referring to the lag, but this depends totally on the size of the turbo. For example, ST has less lag than the 63r's which you can guess even without comparing the dynos, since 2 x 63r flow more. Also the ST is cheaper. However, it doesn't change the fact though that in my opinion it is still overpriced - at least on paper, as I don't know at what prices they actually sell them currently.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Thoughts?
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Do it up
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    If I see this plate on I-10 I'm gonna rev on you just to see you take off. It would be epic acceleration for the whole 20 yards to traffic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've got mine reserved now I think

**EDIT** Until I register it lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

so the gt25 is about he current stage 2 size and power, the gt28 is an extra 100 horses but the 28rs is another extra 100 horses for 100 bux so gt28rs is prob best option for the AT crew = quick spool and 500 RWHP on pump gas. .....big questions is the GTX, since they are more efficient, wonder if the gtx2863 spools as fast as the 28rs? with extra 150 horses?????? anyone?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mr.Squeeze Click here to enlarge
    I have gt30's on my car but have driven a 370 z with the gt28rs they spool pretty quick .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    63R is supposed to spool a bit faster than a 71R while making a bit more power. So no, I don't think the 63R will spool as quickly as the 28RS, but I think the 60R is a better comparison

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Digging it man. If we go to the next TX2K meet, I'm parking next to you Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i was about to ask the same thing?? how do the smaller stg3 options compare to stg2 in terms of power and spool?
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I heard that 71is a bit laggy, almost like a single turbo. for the price of the 60 = most will likely go for the VTT - VTT28RS Garrett GT28RS + cost of install. will there be any other parts needed for the install?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    i was about to ask the same thing?? how do the smaller stg3 options compare to stg2 in terms of power and spool?
    The tiny exhaust sides on the hybrid turbos (RBs too) will move more air at lower rpms. But they will not and cannot be as efficient in higher rpms and will get outflowed pretty quickly. If you compare the prelim dynos of the 63Rs to the stock turbos, you'll find the 63Rs are making more power at 3500rpms already. Tony has repeatedly stated that due to the tiny exhaust housings that he and Rob are limited to for their hybrid turbos, that pushing them beyond 500hp is working the turbos pretty hard. If you've ever held these turbos in your hands, you'd agree. The exhaust sides are very tiny.

I too was unsure whether I should go with a GTX or GT solution. But it's not a huge price difference, and you're already spending the money. Might as well go for it; there's plenty of benefits. I said to myself that if it really bothers me that much, just go work some overtime to make up the difference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The tiny exhaust sides on the hybrid turbos (RBs too) will move more air at lower rpms. But they will not and cannot be as efficient in higher rpms and will get outflowed pretty quickly. If you compare the prelim dynos of the 63Rs to the stock turbos, you'll find the 63Rs are making more power at 3500rpms already. Tony has repeatedly stated that due to the tiny exhaust housings that he and Rob are limited to for their hybrid turbos, that pushing them beyond 500hp is working the turbos pretty hard. If you've ever held these turbos in your hands, you'd agree. The exhaust sides are very tiny.

I too was unsure whether I should go with a GTX or GT solution. But it's not a huge price difference, and you're already spending the money. Might as well go for it; there's plenty of benefits. I said to myself that if it really bothers me that much, just go work some overtime to make up the difference.
    Thanks, now is the question of how much the auto can handle... it has a tough time on rbs
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

What are the comparable whp figures at 3500rpm for FBO stock turbos vs FBO stg3 turbos? The dyno graph doesn't show the RPM for the latter...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

You guys have no idea how nice it is to see discussions about what non-hybrid turbos to go with on this platform Click here to enlarge been a long time and a dream come true...size them right for your "goals"..next we just need to open up the HPFP and then finally have a good enough reason to build motors for more power with more fuel from the DI injectors and the fuel tank!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    You guys have no idea how nice it is to see discussions about what non-hybrid turbos to go with on this platform Click here to enlarge been a long time and a dream come true...size them right for your "goals"
    Can you break down what goals people should look at when considering the different GTX sizes?

Found this here:

The GTX2860 kit will suport ~850hp (~750 All Wheel HP) and lightning fast spool with the .48A/R Exhaust housing
    The GTX2863 kit will suport ~900hp (~800 All Wheel HP) with very little lag with the .48 A/R Exhaust housing
    The GTX2867 kit will suport nearly 1000hp (~900+ to the Wheels) still with very good spool for the power they suport with the .63 A/R Exhaust housing
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    What are the comparable whp figures at 3500rpm for FBO stock turbos vs FBO stg3 turbos? The dyno graph doesn't show the RPM for the latter...
    Check page 2 or 3 in the dyno announcement on this forum. He posted one with an RPM axis. And if you're comparing results, make sure you compare comparable fuels too. A lot of FBO cars I find are running E85.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    Thanks, now is the question of how much the auto can handle... it has a tough time on rbs
    Well it really depends on what's killing the autos. Is it RPM? Is it the torque output? Driveline shock? This makes a big difference. The peak torque on the 63R kit doesn't appear to be all that much higher than RBs, it just maintains it much farther out. Flatter torque curves (which you don't get with hybrid turbos that are usually maxed out over the entire powerband) also will be less stressful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here's a comparison of the GT2860 vs GTX2860 from 3000GT forums:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here's a comparison to the GT28RS and the GTX2863R
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nafoo, is that graph right? I seems like the 63R is running more boost and the 60R is pointless. Does that motor have a headflow problem?

It also does illustrate how much more advanced the N54 is vs an old motor like that 3kgt motor. Same displacement, remarkably different powerbands.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast