Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    656 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

trans flash comparison

Hey guys,

Finally had time to grab a 60-130 run on the new trans software. I used a different road in Mexico for the runs with a similar overall slope. In addition to the trans flash previously the car was on race gas. This time around it was on E50. The car is around 40# heavier this time around. And I ran it at 650' instead of -75'. The car also holds a bit more advance post shift in its current trim.

Anyway, net/net, there was basically no noticeable performance increase with the trans flash. But it will definitely help the trans live longer under these power levels. And in combination with the BMS flash changes seems to have resolved the 5th gear issues. So for the price it's a must do. Click here to enlarge

In other news it looks like I'm going to be stuck in the low 7s on RBs. Not a bad place to be, but, I'm starting to get boost envy. Click here to enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I'm starting to get boost envy. Click here to enlarge
    You know what to do. Vargas Stage 3. Do it.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Think your transmission will survive if you get Vargas Stage 3 kit?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    656 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No but, we can build it stronger! Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

6 out of 6 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    No but, we can build it stronger! Click here to enlarge
    How dare you make an unsubstantiated claim like that and even go as far as putting a smiley at the end! Blasphemy LOL

I need the following:

1) How much it'll cost?
    2) Install costs?
    3) Will my installer know what to do when he gets my upgraded transmission?
    4) What "exactly" do you mean by "stronger"?
    5) How does it compare to the Level 10 upgrade?
    6) Is it really all about the washers?
    7) When can we see some numbers?

and lastly,

8) Will it void my warranty?

We'd all appreciate some transparency here...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see what you did there...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @terry - would you mind sharing that road in mexico you use? I think its really ideal design, immediate drop and taper at the end when it matter a little less. (please don't take this a knock on your testing, it is NOT!).

I love driving in mexico, its tequila-tastic! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    656 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cupertinosteve Click here to enlarge
    @terry - would you mind sharing that road in mexico you use? I think its really ideal design, immediate drop and taper at the end when it matter a little less. (please don't take this a knock on your testing, it is NOT!).

I love driving in mexico, its tequila-tastic! Click here to enlarge
    Sure thing, just email me for the coordinates.

I've been talking with pencil-geek about adding a slope correction to his very nice web app. So that all posted 60-130 times would all be corrected to a 0 slope. And in having that discussion I've had to ponder over what effect the slope has exactly on 60-130 performance. For example, where the overall slope is say 2%, does more slope early and less slope at higher speed result in a quicker time? Or is it the other way around? Or does it make no difference at all how the slope is distributed? If gravity is assisting at 9.8m/s^2 * slope does that boost help "more" when the car is under less drag? Or under "more" drag? Or make no difference?
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry I am surprised by your findings and with your logs it does show this, but my butt calibrations feel otherwise! lol Either way I wouldnt have my car without this flash as its so much smoother and refined to drive..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    656 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    Terry I am surprised by your findings and with your logs it does show this, but my butt calibrations feel otherwise! lol Either way I wouldnt have my car without this flash as its so much smoother and refined to drive..
    Without the flash I'd be spending 5k for a new trans right now so it's a great mod. Just wanted to quantify the performance end of it. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So, I understand you tested this 60-130 which you're just getting out of 4th gear. How does the flash effect your 5th/6th gear pulls at higher speeds for like a 1/2 mile rolling event? I would think that performance increase would be easier to see over a longer distance with more shifts considering each shift could be the difference between winning or loosing. Not to mention no timing drops in 5th/6th gear. Thoughts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm starting to get boost envy.
    VTT ST3 it is!
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    656 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wedge1967 Click here to enlarge
    So, I understand you tested this 60-130 which you're just getting out of 4th gear. How does the flash effect your 5th/6th gear pulls at higher speeds for like a 1/2 mile rolling event? I would think that performance increase would be easier to see over a longer distance with more shifts considering each shift could be the difference between winning or loosing. Not to mention no timing drops in 5th/6th gear. Thoughts?
    Previously, in 5th gear the trans would often completely disengage. And since adding the flash (and some DME flash changes) at the last runway event it held strong in each of 7 runs. So in that regard the flash added a "whole lot" of performance. Click here to enlarge I have not noticed any timing differences related to the flash though. I did do some VBOX 1/4 mile times and the MPH was very close to preflash numbers. 130-131mph on the VBOX on the same road.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 03-18-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    How dare you make an unsubstantiated claim like that and even go as far as putting a smiley at the end! Blasphemy LOL

I need the following:

1) How much it'll cost?
    2) Install costs?
    3) Will my installer know what to do when he gets my upgraded transmission?
    4) What "exactly" do you mean by "stronger"?
    5) How does it compare to the Level 10 upgrade?
    6) Is it really all about the washers?
    7) When can we see some numbers?

and lastly,

8) Will it void my warranty?

We'd all appreciate some transparency here...
    Dammit, I choked on my beer a little bit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The car also holds a bit more advance post shift in its current trim. Anyway, net/net, there was basically no noticeable performance increase with the trans flash. But it will definitely help the trans live longer under these power levels.
    No surprises on the peformance differences. However good news about the timing advance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Conditions permitting, the ideal method would be to do back to back 60-130' runs in opposite directions, and average the two. This is how high speed records must be performed to count for anything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Like I said earlier I can live with or without the flash. Nice features it adds, but I couldn't feel any benefit in terms of shift speed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    NYC has its own road to Mexico too. Has an ideal 2.x slope in one direction and a 3.5 slope in the other direction depending on where on the decline you start. The road to mexico also has a stretch of one mile with 0.1 slope (1 ft elevation variance)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Like I said earlier I can live with or without the flash. Nice features it adds, but I couldn't feel any benefit in terms of shift speed.

So let me flash you back to stock and see how much you like the rough shiftsClick here to enlarge. I for one could not go back to stock software regardless. I still think the data is not 100% ideal to really log the difference.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry, it's Alpina trans flash, or you own ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    NYC has its own road to Mexico too. Has an ideal 2.x slope in one direction and a 3.5 slope in the other direction depending on where on the decline you start. The road to mexico also has a stretch of one mile with 0.1 slope (1 ft elevation variance)
    What can i put in my gps to get to this town in mexico??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    So let me flash you back to stock and see how much you like the rough shiftsClick here to enlarge. I for one could not go back to stock software regardless. I still think the data is not 100% ideal to really log the difference.
    Eh one day ill do it. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    656 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ncat10 Click here to enlarge
    Terry, it's Alpina trans flash
    No I would never ever ever run pirated software on any BMS related car. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You should try the 60-130 with FTW purple e85 to see if their are any performance gains as compared to the dyno. The road in Mexico your running is perfect for this since it has lots of slope up front to limit wheel spin then tapers off. Wedge thinks the FTW is going it have great track gains.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyway, net/net, there was basically no noticeable performance increase with the trans flash. But it will definitely help the trans live longer under these power levels. And in combination with the BMS flash changes seems to have resolved the 5th gear issues. So for the price it's a must do.
    No difference? So why are guys reporting it feels faster or shifts faster? Is it just smoother changes or the tranny reacting better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast