Close

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Totally makes sense they went with two pumps Click here to enlarge
    be good if we could get two on the N54, instant solve of all fuelling issues forever lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Yes, but INPA shows you per cylinder knock adaptations...
    The DME knows the position of each piston and what stroke each piston is currently on, so with the knock microphones it could figure out which cylinder the knock it just heard came from as long as it is fast enough. It could use this information for per cylinder knock correction and logging.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

BMW should be discounting these new injectors seeing all the BS they have put N54 owners through with their fueling system nightmares....<slap> oh, wait, ummm, yeah, I'm awake....dreaming...just nodded off...sorry
    Click here to enlarge
    '07 E90 335i AW 6MT Sport & Comfort Pkgs
    MODS: |COBB AP | CP-e | ER | Forge | DCI | KW V1 | M3 Sways | BBS CH | M3 Body Parts| MTech | CF Wrap Trim

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Getting new injectors as we speak. Found it interesting that RealOEM shows that the 071 injector does not require the decoupling element.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    I think it's been stated here a few times. People get confused (including me the first time I heard about it) when they're told their car can feel knock on all 6 fingers (with the spark/coils) and hear knock with the knock ears (don't they have multiple knock sensors too?).

I have an injector going bad (long cranks intermittently), would the dealer warranty all 6 due to this new part?
    I also have intermittent long cranks. What makes you point the finger at injectors?
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JStang Click here to enlarge
    I also have intermittent long cranks. What makes you point the finger at injectors?
    If an injector is leaking (common method of failing on our cars), the HPFP system can depressurize. It won't happen all of the time, but it takes a few engine spins to get the pressure back up and the engine started. For me it's about three seconds of cranking about 10% of the time. Bad injectors can also cause misfires although to a lesser extent than bad plugs.

It's a common problem for these cars, I have an '07 that just hit 50k miles which has never had the injectors or hpfp replaced, so it's really just a matter of time, and the symptoms have finally started to show on occasion. Regardless, I want the newer style of injectors anyway to prevent future issues while I still have the extended warranty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Sound exactly like my cold start issue. I thought it was due to running an E45 blend but even going back to pump gas I am still getting long cranks. No codes thrown and the car feels fine once it gets going.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I mean no disrespect at all - and this is a serious question. It really seems like these cars have a LOT of issues (albeit minor) - is this only when they are tuned, or even if it's stock? It seems like it would make sense to stay away from this platform for autocross/track duty just for these reasons. Unless I am missing something?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    I mean no disrespect at all - and this is a serious question. It really seems like these cars have a LOT of issues (albeit minor) - is this only when they are tuned, or even if it's stock? It seems like it would make sense to stay away from this platform for autocross/track duty just for these reasons. Unless I am missing something?
    I really think it is hit or miss. My car had a few issues when I first bought it used with about 28k miles on it. Once I changed injectors, spark plugs, coils, boost solenoids, and lpfp sensor (along with the e85 walbro diy), it has been running like a champ ever since without any issues. *knocks on wood*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JStang Click here to enlarge
    Sound exactly like my cold start issue. I thought it was due to running an E45 blend but even going back to pump gas I am still getting long cranks. No codes thrown and the car feels fine once it gets going.
    Mine does it regardless of E85 or pump. It has been getting progressively worse ever since it first occurred, and I just got my second misfire from it yesterday. Am I 100% positive it's the injector? No, but I'm very confident. It's the most common cause of the minor issues I've been having.

and InlineS54- these issues are common to the platform, not tuning related. With DI and any new engine, you have to take the bad with the good. If you want to avoid the bad, get the newer revision of the engine (N55). The only downside to that is less tuning options and a smaller turbo so less max power stock, and a couple N55 specific problems (factory chargepipe is weaker). Honestly, the common issues of injectors, hpfp, electric water pump and wastegate rattle/solenoid leaks are all not major problems and are more minor headaches IMO and most are warrantied for 7 years/84k miles or 10 years/135k miles or something crazy like that.
    Last edited by V8Bait; 04-08-2013 at 11:05 AM. Reason: fixed second part

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    HPFP/LPFP, Injectors (now on 3rd version), Wastegate Rattle (vacuum actuated = poor choice), Water Pump -- It's all an N54 problem, and when you consider how many N54's were produced that are having the same problem it's a fairly decent percentage (especially for BMW to extend the Warranty out an additional 2-6 years beyond OEM Warranty).
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    HPFP/LPFP, Injectors (now on 3rd version), Wastegate Rattle (vacuum actuated = poor choice), Water Pump -- It's all an N54 problem, and when you consider how many N54's were produced that are having the same problem it's a fairly decent percentage (especially for BMW to extend the Warranty out an additional 2-6 years beyond OEM Warranty).
    Good to know... So it's basically hit or miss... I keep thinking it's an aging platform, but it really has just started to grow. I guess problems are bound to be - especially when you are at double stock power levels. I am more than certain my "maintenance schedule" would more than double if I threw a blower on my M. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    and InlineS54- these issues are common to the platform, not tuning related. With DI and any new engine, you have to take the bad with the good. If you want to avoid the bad, get the newer revision of the engine (N55). The only downside to that is less tuning options and a smaller turbo so less max power stock, and a couple N55 specific problems (factory chargepipe is weaker). Honestly, the common issues of injectors, hpfp, electric water pump and wastegate rattle/solenoid leaks are all not major problems and are more minor headaches IMO and most are warrantied for 7 years/84k miles or 10 years/135k miles or something crazy like that.
    Yeah, DI seems to be the main culprit - carbon buildup and HPF pump issues... What happens when an electric water pump dies? Does the engine shut down to protect itself? Always wondered how that worked.

Thanks for the replies +1ed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

What happens when an electric water pump dies? Does the engine shut down to protect itself? Always wondered how that worked.
    Eventually a Limp Mode will get triggered when the coolant temp goes above the DME safe operating limit.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That's just dumb if it is not interchangeable...Click here to enlarge There's no aftermarket injectors out there is it because u can't code them?
    08 535i 6MT - JB4 G5 ISO - Luke performance flash - E40 & BMS 100% Meth - AR design catless DP - ETS 5" intercooler - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - ER chargepipe - HKS BOV - K-sport coilovers - UUC evo SSK - CDV deleted - ACS spoiler - Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

I changed plugs 3-4 times, injectors 2x i think- 1 full set and 1or 2 as needed, 1 steering angle sensor, and the waterpump was on its way out., 2nd hpfp for the car, never went out on me though. and thats all for non performance caused issues

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

3rd HPFP, transmission gasket leaked twice, several coils, 3rd set of turbos (upgraded to RBs now), power steering pump... Yeahhh not really a reliable car... Only the waterpump is missing in my list. Knock on wood...
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Maybe I'm lucky, 2007, 51k miles, 35k tuned, have had one set of plugs, one coil, and one dsc pump. I replaced my brakes because I hated the dust.

I guess the fact it needs an injector has been overdue. So does anybody know what's new with these by chance? Worth replacing them all since I need one+?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    I changed plugs 3-4 times, injectors 2x i think- 1 full set and 1or 2 as needed, 1 steering angle sensor, and the waterpump was on its way out., 2nd hpfp for the car, never went out on me though. and thats all for non performance caused issues
    You know what? I lied... I completely forgot that my M3's steering angle sensor went out. I upgraded my brakes - and when they put the stainless lines on, they screwed something up (I have no idea still how one has to do with another/where the sensor is) - but that was the only issue I have ever had with the car.

I am looking at a second car (it's either this - or sell my M3 and buy a 991/911) - the 1/335i is on my list of maybes. I found a 2002 M3 with 180k miles on it though - and now am tempted to buy it, hand it over to VAC, and be done with it. Basically, can't make up my damn mind.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

2nd set of turbos, water pump, thermostat, 6 coils, 6 injectors, 3rd hpfp, front and rear subframe, motor mounts, power steering pump, serpentine belt, pulley, control arms.... I'm sure there is more I'm forgeting it'll be 2 years in mayClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Had 5 of 6 injectors replaced(along with a bunch of other $#@!) this week by the dealer. Weird that they would only replace 5 and not all 6 of they are not compatible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    Had 5 of 6 injectors replaced(along with a bunch of other $#@!) this week by the dealer. Weird that they would only replace 5 and not all 6 of they are not compatible.

How do you know they gave you the new Gen 2 injectors? They could have easily installed 5 of the 261 injectors and called it a day since BMW will most likely use those up till stock runs out.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    How do you know they gave you the new Gen 2 injectors? They could have easily installed 5 of the 261 injectors and called it a day since BMW will most likely use those up till stock runs out.
    Those $#@!ers could have easily done that.Paperwork shows the updated part #.
    Gonna have to look into that.

edit: any way to check with out having to pull the injector?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice I wondered why all 6 of my injectors got replaced last month when they said that 2 were bad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Booyaazaa Click here to enlarge
    Nice I wondered why all 6 of my injectors got replaced last month when they said that 2 were bad.
    Damn it!
    Sounds like they probably gave me the 261 injectors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    edit: any way to check with out having to pull the injector?
    Look at your paperwork. All part numbers should be listed there. If not, then look at the injectors themselves. You don't have to pull them out. The part number is clearly visible at the top of the injector.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast