Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

ASR 135i vs GTR ???

Sorry to bring up an old discussion/video but does anyone have answers on this... ASR seems incredibly sketchy with this video and nothing about it makes sense... They claim 540 WHP on a 135i like 3 years ago??

2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ASR is sketchy about everything they've ever done. With that said, on a HIGH reading dynojet i see 540whp possible, but then again it's no faster than one that makes 500whp on an "average" dynojet.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    GTR has no hardware mods, just a boost increase. So, these cars should be very similar in their power and performance. The video makes sense. ASR turbos are good for >500whp no problem.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    ASR is sketchy about everything they've ever done. With that said, on a HIGH reading dynojet i see 540whp possible, but then again it's no faster than one that makes 500whp on an "average" dynojet.
    So I say sketchy because in one of their videos they claim to be pulling on a 540 AWHP GTR... This is BS because;

1. I highly doubt they had a 540 WHP 135i 3 years ago.
    2. That is not a 540 AWHP GTR or;
    3. Both cars have considerably less power or the GTR is dogging the car.

Being this is ASR... there is no way to verify or discuss any of this; so I was wondering if anyone had any insight on them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    So I say sketchy because in one of their videos they claim to be pulling on a 540 AWHP GTR... This is BS because;

1. I highly doubt they had a 540 WHP 135i 3 years ago.
    2. That is not a 540 AWHP GTR or;
    3. Both cars have considerably less power or the GTR is dogging the car.

Being this is ASR... there is no way to verify or discuss any of this; so I was wondering if anyone had any insight on them.
    I remember a dyno of 511whp for the GTR and an optimistic 540whp dyno for 135i. The latter was more optimistic, so powerwise they whould be close.

N54 has been at 500+ whp for two and a half years now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here is our 135i racing a GTR back when it had stock turbos (~450whp).

Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    I remember a dyno of 511whp for the GTR and an optimistic 540whp dyno for 135i. The latter was more optimistic, so powerwise they whould be close.

N54 has been at 500+ whp for two and a half years now.
    Assuming equivalent power 135i with GTR... I highly doubt the GTR would lose. It has the gearing and tranny advantage which is huge. This allows it to even pull on much stronger cars as has been witnessed... I don't know all of these videos seem sketchy to me; then you take Shift Sector into play and how none of those videos make any sense and it makes you question what's real...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Here is our 135i racing a GTR back when it had stock turbos (~450whp).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1m3KvPjCjc
    You outlaunched a GTR at the dragstrip lol? Yeah, he was sleeping...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    GTR 60-130 stock isn't that impressive, and even with some light mods they are still in the 7.x and 8.x range, 135i with upgraded turbos is right in that mix as well. If you're talking about a 2009 GTR, stock they were in the high 9.x and low 10.x 60-130, 2010 wasn't much better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You outlaunched a GTR at the dragstrip lol? Yeah, he was sleeping...
    Warren was driving. But I think he went 11.2 and the GTR 11.1. But that was with only 450rw on the 135. Throw in larger turbos and 500rw+ and there is plenty of potential to pick off a mildly tuned GTR.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    @Q4P Remember what you posted in the OP, a 3 year old video. The GTR has evolved a small bit since then, but gained considerable speed. The 335i hasn't (LCI upgrade, N55, that's about it). The car made that power on the dyno. It was undoubtedly a glory run, it had to be here in Miami (where ASR is). These videos are real. Every car featured (there is a series: the 135, a GTR and a P-car) is an ASR upgraded car and were all driven by people who met up afterward, people who knew each other. You can tell from the exhausts no one is sandbagging... please.. or as you state: dogging. As for the cars, the 135 is the only one with upgraded turbos (upgraded CHRA's). Every car has some sort of bolt-ons (probably in info on each youtube video).
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    @Q4P Remember what you posted in the OP, a 3 year old video. The GTR has evolved a small bit since then, but gained considerable speed. The 335i hasn't (LCI upgrade, N55, that's about it). The car made that power on the dyno. It was undoubtedly a glory run, it had to be here in Miami (where ASR is). These videos are real. Every car featured (there is a series: the 135, a GTR and a P-car) is an ASR upgraded car and were all driven by people who met up afterward, people who knew each other. You can tell from the exhausts no one is sandbagging... please.. or as you state: dogging. As for the cars, the 135 is the only one with upgraded turbos (upgraded CHRA's). Every car has some sort of bolt-ons (probably in info on each youtube video).
    I completely understand; the difficult time that I have understanding is their numbers and how they dont add up. LM had the fastest N54 around and that was about 3 years ago, he barely dynod 540 WHP and things then were very much at the limit... ASR never showcased any of this on the track except showing a video that they beat an equally powered GTR which I guarantee is near impossible if the numbers add up and in addition out of nowhere they make a 540 WHP claim when everyone was struggling to make this. Maybe it happened, maybe it didn't... all I am saying is there wasn't much evidence provided on this and when I asked around before I never got an answer. Then came out the sketchiness with that M5 and you can see why I am questioning here...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Assuming equivalent power 135i with GTR... I highly doubt the GTR would lose. It has the gearing and tranny advantage which is huge. This allows it to even pull on much stronger cars as has been witnessed... I don't know all of these videos seem sketchy to me; then you take Shift Sector into play and how none of those videos make any sense and it makes you question what's real...
    Assuming equally powered cars 135i should win simply based on weighing over 500lbs less. There is no drivetrain advantage for GT-R that could take that away. With upgraded turbos N54 has so fat&flat power curve that it doesn't even need to shift much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ed-as-a-vendor

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Assuming equally powered cars 135i should win simply based on weighing over 500lbs less. There is no drivetrain advantage for GT-R that could take that away. With upgraded turbos N54 has so fat&flat power curve that it doesn't even need to shift much.
    really? The GTR seems to have no trouble with a 458 according to motor trend... That is at least 400-500 lb difference as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    really? The GTR seems to have no trouble with a 458 according to motor trend... That is at least 400-500 lb difference as well.
    458 has been measured to be a lot heavier than its official weight and heavier than 135i. Also the 458's power delivery is very peaky, so the average power of 458 under acceleration is a lot less than its peak power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe it happened, maybe it didn't... all I am saying is there wasn't much evidence provided on this and when I asked around before I never got an answer. Then came out the sketchiness with that M5 and you can see why I am questioning here...
    No doubt. ASR has always been extremely secretive with their figures/data. They claim everything as proprietary. Unless they film something or post it themselves. And yeah, you should question it, without inquiry, people would get away with a lot more. In this case though (your question about the power figure) there is nothing that seems out of place. The asr 1 ran 179-180mph in the standing mile (a while ago, same (stage 1 at this point) turbos, same v3 procede): I'd say that's a good comparison of power/weight.

As for the discussion about the whole M5 scandal that's for another thread, which was created and never finished. Either the case is still on-going or they settled out of court with no update.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    that was an ASR employee's gtr as well.. its been discussed already and all but admitted, that it was "for promotional purposes only"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    that was an ASR employee's gtr as well.. its been discussed already and all but admitted, that it was "for promotional purposes only"
    You sure? What is your source for this info? ASR has two employees. Abid, the owner and engineer and Chris, his mechanic. Chris was not driving the GTR. The GTR and P-Car in the series were driven by customers. The video could be claimed as made for 'promotional purposes' because they wanted to 'showcase' what a x35i with upgraded CHRA's could compete with.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by amclint Click here to enlarge
    GTR 60-130 stock isn't that impressive, and even with some light mods they are still in the 7.x and 8.x range, 135i with upgraded turbos is right in that mix as well. If you're talking about a 2009 GTR, stock they were in the high 9.x and low 10.x 60-130, 2010 wasn't much better.
    +1..I ran a few GTR's (stock) when I had my FBO 335i..they really arent all that fast until you start modding them, but after that..watch out..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe they were able to sell more GTR tunes because of the video. Hopefully more than N54 turbos at least since I bet the total number of turbo upgrades sold is very small.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oddjob knows the ASR guys well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ya its only a 2 man show. no idea why they don't hire more people because in my opinion its to much workload for 2 people. they at least need another mechanic and someone to answer the phone. not sure why people dont talk about them because ive seen them ship out a bunch of kits and install a couple on local cars
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    is asr even still around... i had 3 sets of their turbos take a $#@! on me... and was never able to get a hold of them. i said forget it and just went back to stock turbos..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    they are and that's too bad. they have a limited warranty on the turbos as you were able to get a set back at some point? they certainly do have a problem with answering/response as shown in the forums and such. it's really too bad. the product he produces is really high grade but when it comes to customer service he lacks extremely.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast