Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

JB3 in dash code readout programming. Opinions welcome!

Hey guys,

Playing around with an in dash code display option for the JB3, something that can be used without connecting a laptop if the need arises.

Here is the sequence:

Code read is initiated by some dash button, like holding DTC and flashers down at the same time.

JB3 blinks flashers and turns on CEL to let you know its in code read out mode.

Displays 2 to indicate there are 2 codes stored.

Blinks flahsers to indicate it will start displaying codes.

Codes are displayed in the speedo in HEX format, like you would read from a BT, on a scale of 0-150mph = 0-15 = 0-F. 10=A, 11=B, 12=C, 13=D, 14=E, 15=F. 1.5 seconds between each number (may extend that to 2-3 seconds). So for example in the video the two codes stored are 2F6C and 2AAF.

Blinks flashers to indicate code read out is done and turns off CEL. There is another dash sequence to delete all codes or just do nothing and they stay in there.

Thoughts? Too complicated to be useful? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

i love the idea of being able to know what codes were thrown w/o hookin up the laptop for times when i dont have one with me (rare). The sequence is a bit confusing though, at least to me. it may just be a case of need to get used to it.

Perfect idea, might need to be tweaked in implementation. just my opinion though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

dash integration using the middle display for stuff like this would be wicked, can one create a new "category" similar to the normal bmw messages for low washer fluid, low tire pressure etc? Would be uber cool to chose a "jb3" category and under that be able to browse error codes or show boost in clear text etc

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

That is pretty cool I'm sure the sequence would just take getting used to and would be easy once familiar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Neat, I guess. I wouldn't ever use this. You have to write down the numbers, then convert, then have to figure out what it means. If you don't throw an obvious code, you'll have to be looking that up also. If we are scanning for codes, we'll have the BT tool with us.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

No conversion is really needed as the codes are spit out in HEX, and we're used to reading the HEX codes from the BT, but for anyone with a laptop handy that would be much easier.

We're also developing a stand alone OBDII module for JB+ and flash owners to give them basic CAN functionality (auto deleting certain codes, dash logging, etc) so developed this primarily for that product. But figured I'd throw it out there for JB3 owners opinions. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I think this is a great idea Terry but i seriously think finding codes like tuner codes this way is useless because in the end you will still need the BT to delete the codes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I like the idea. Might take some getting use to in order to read the codes but i'm sure it'll come in handy when there's no laptop around.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by justohigh Click here to enlarge
    I think this is a great idea Terry but i seriously think finding codes like tuner codes this way is useless because in the end you will still need the BT to delete the codes.
    No this deletes them also.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it takes away from you developing more useful feature, then I say drop it! Click here to enlarge I'd prefer sticking with a BT. Are you considering this as a cost adding option?
    2010 LeMans Blue M Sport 335i: JB3 2.0, BMS DCI, BMS TT/BG, 19" VM V714, JB Kidneys, Painted Ref, Debadged, UR CL DP's, TEIN S-Tech Springs

Old Ride: 2007 Montego 335i 6MT 12.34@111

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    No this deletes them also.
    If this is true then I think this would be great to have, but like mentioned earlier you should somehow make it more user friendly so that its easy to read the codes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wizzle335 Click here to enlarge
    If it takes away from you developing more useful feature, then I say drop it! Click here to enlarge I'd prefer sticking with a BT. Are you considering this as a cost adding option?
    With the new board it will be free. But we have the immediate need for a cheap code reading/deleting tool to package with the JB+/JB3, something simpler and less expensive than the BT but still able to get the job done, so this will be recycled in to that and called our CAN tool. The CAN tool also includes in dash gauges, a shift light, auto-clearing of DP codes, etc. We have a few in testing just for code reading/deleting and customers are finding it stupid simple to use. Just plug in and press the button. If you want to delete codes hold it down 2 seconds. And you either get a listing of the codes or confirmation they were deleted. Easy. Click here to enlarge For flash tune owners this is going to pretty handy too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like the idea, but it seems like it would be way more effective and efficient to read the out on the info screen between the speedos.
    Ian.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    With the new board it will be free. But we have the immediate need for a cheap code reading/deleting tool to package with the JB+/JB3, something simpler and less expensive than the BT but still able to get the job done, so this will be recycled in to that and called our CAN tool. The CAN tool also includes in dash gauges, a shift light, auto-clearing of DP codes, etc. We have a few in testing just for code reading/deleting and customers are finding it stupid simple to use. Just plug in and press the button. If you want to delete codes hold it down 2 seconds. And you either get a listing of the codes or confirmation they were deleted. Easy. Click here to enlarge For flash tune owners this is going to pretty handy too.
    The more you explain the more I'm liking the idea. I'm not sure how much I'd use the shift light feature, but I guess I will wait to see how it functions/agrees with my taste. The biggest appeal is worst case scenario car issue and no BT. Any way to display on the nav screen for those of us with it? That would be amazing if you could use the idrive wheel to look through and clear codes! Does this new board work with our BMS tuning tool/boost gauges? Click here to enlarge
    2010 LeMans Blue M Sport 335i: JB3 2.0, BMS DCI, BMS TT/BG, 19" VM V714, JB Kidneys, Painted Ref, Debadged, UR CL DP's, TEIN S-Tech Springs

Old Ride: 2007 Montego 335i 6MT 12.34@111

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

I would love to display stuff in the center of the console or nav, and I think its technically possible, but right now I'm just going for the low hanging fruit on this one. Showing codes via the speedo took just an hour or two to figure out copying commands from the BT dash commands. To sort out how to change text in the dash display or nav would take much much more work than I'm willing to commit to it right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They implement this technique on motorcycles. I dont think it would be difficult to do it if you are in need and have instructions right in front of u.
    Click here to enlarge