Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

S54 intake plenum and runner shape and design.

As more and more options become available, designs change. Anyone care to explain some theory regarding why plenum and runner design/shape/size vary to the almost unrecognizeable? Here are some of the designs... Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Generally a tapered log style with internal velocity stacks is the best for even distribution of air per cylinder from my understanding.

http://horsepowercalculators.net/int...anifold-design

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I really love the way the HPF manifold looks, I just hate that hks blow off valve they use! lol

If they could slap a tial on there instead that would be great. Does anyone make an adapter ?
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

yes the HPF one has both good pressure recovery (gradual diversion of the walls from the inlet) and presents a good chance for equal distribution to each cylinder which is harder on an I6 than most other configurations

The technica one looks poor in regard to both these characteristics.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    I really love the way the HPF manifold looks, I just hate that hks blow off valve they use! lol

If they could slap a tial on there instead that would be great. Does anyone make an adapter ?
    The initial BOV's used waaaaaay back were Tials

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks! Nice article! Click here to enlarge but then, why do people go other routes if that is less efficient? There is a given space to use. What i get from this is that maybe the shape of the plenum do not have as much affect on performance as one would think... ? Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Generally a tapered log style with internal velocity stacks is the best for even distribution of air per cylinder from my understanding.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Petrolhead Click here to enlarge
    What i get from this is that maybe the shape of the plenum do not have as much affect on performance as one would think... ? Click here to enlarge
    Just the opposite.

The issue is that most people have no reference point to compare to...

It is a widely accepted truth in the racing industry that whomever has a bigger pile of stuff that was tried, and didn't work, is likely to be making the most gains. What they are usually talking about Pro-Stock or Pro-Mod drag racing for example, is intake manifolds...

I personally built an intake manifold that I thought was going to work a certain way, and it looked the business, but I ended up losing a ton of torque in the midrange.

All of the S54 intake manifolds we are seeing built out of aluminum are for FI applications, so there is a second component to the total engine VE that usually complicates the results. (It's not so clear how the intake actually works)

What I think most people miss is that flow velocity with FI changes minimally; the difference in mass flow going through the engine is from a change in flow density. All of the principles of flow that apply to an N/A engine are still in play....
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge

Fantastic article.

This is pretty telling:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Just the opposite.

The issue is that most people have no reference point to compare to...

It is a widely accepted truth in the racing industry that whomever has a bigger pile of stuff that was tried, and didn't work, is likely to be making the most gains. What they are usually talking about Pro-Stock or Pro-Mod drag racing for example, is intake manifolds...

I personally built an intake manifold that I thought was going to work a certain way, and it looked the business, but I ended up losing a ton of torque in the midrange.

All of the S54 intake manifolds we are seeing built out of aluminum are for FI applications, so there is a second component to the total engine VE that usually complicates the results. (It's not so clear how the intake actually works)

What I think most people miss is that flow velocity with FI changes minimally; the difference in mass flow going through the engine is from a change in flow density. All of the principles of flow that apply to an N/A engine are still in play....
    Thanks! But then i ask myself: why do the design vary to the extreme between different manufacturers, when they perform so differently?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge

Curious to see what would happen if you boost a CSL CF box :p