Close

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't mean to criticize I'm happy to see someone working on this who already has some initial results. But if you don't come to market at some point, somebody else will. And at that point, R&D expenses turn into a much greater loss.

Every company has lots of priorities of course, but all projects really need roadmaps IMO, so that they don't just sit (because inevitably they will). I guess I'm biased because my dad is a big project manager so I've grown up with these rants, but it's really true. Set a roadmap and stick to it (takes passion and sometimes overtime after doing the things that make money), make some updates here, and price them fair. Not cheap, just fair. R&D only gets you so far in that equation. Anyone on the cutting edge of any industry doesn't get to work 40 hour work weeks with vacation time, unless there is no competition.

Lucky for you guys, there isn't any competition yet. But it would be foolish to squander that competitive advantage when the opportunity to set the bar is within reach.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    I don't mean to criticize I'm happy to see someone working on this who already has some initial results. But if you don't come to market at some point, somebody else will. And at that point, R&D expenses turn into a much greater loss.

Every company has lots of priorities of course, but all projects really need roadmaps IMO, so that they don't just sit (because inevitably they will). I guess I'm biased because my dad is a big project manager so I've grown up with these rants, but it's really true. Set a roadmap and stick to it (takes passion and sometimes overtime after doing the things that make money), make some updates here, and price them fair. Not cheap, just fair. R&D only gets you so far in that equation. Anyone on the cutting edge of any industry doesn't get to work 40 hour work weeks with vacation time, unless there is no competition.

Lucky for you guys, there isn't any competition yet. But it would be foolish to squander that competitive advantage when the opportunity to set the bar is within reach.
    I think you don't really understand their focus or how big they are in the MB market. They are busy pumping out turbos for 63 AMG's. If the N54 cam market was as big to their bottomline don't you think it would be a priority?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think you don't really understand their focus or how big they are in the MB market. They are busy pumping out turbos for 63 AMG's. If the N54 cam market was as big to their bottomline don't you think it would be a priority?
    totally agree

but you can't say there wouldn't be at least 10 sales upfront or close to upfront as soon as it was announced for sale?

once it's up for sale it would just trickle along bringing them in money... the longer it's on sale for the sooner RnD costs are recouped.

if they're too busy with their merc stuff (likely) so be it, excellent for them stay in business!! Click here to enlarge

i just really want some cams to go straight in with the headwork i'm doing haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm just surprised more guys here don't know Renntech and what they do. Feels like N54boost a lot of the time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Oh I understand their priorities are not n54 and I like they have us in their mind. I just think it's odd when I see companies commit time and resources to projects just to let them sit. And especially one this far along. It seems like a successful company that understands market demand but is smaller than they should be in a way, or else they are only working on the n54 as a hobby, but that's not very effective from a money standpoint.

If they see more money in the MB area that's great, but their foray into n54 has already cost them money so imo their best interests would be either A) set a roadmap, to prioritize the MB stuff yet finish the cams, or B) focus on MB fully to exploit that market and just drop the cams until later. Half development (no deadlines) takes 4 times longer and is much more expensive, and they risk greater loss if after a year of tinkering someone else comes to market versus if they just stopped now until they can devote the time to draw up a plan.

Either way I'm in for results, they are a great company so I hope they are willing to finish these.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh I understand their priorities are not n54 and I like they have us in their mind. I just think it's odd when I see companies commit time and resources to projects just to let them sit. And especially one this far along. It seems like a successful company that understands market demand but is smaller than they should be in a way, or else they are only working on the n54 as a hobby, but that's not very effective from a money standpoint.

If they see more money in the MB area that's great, but their foray into n54 has already cost them money so imo their best interests would be either A) set a roadmap, to prioritize the MB stuff yet finish the cams, or B) focus on MB fully to exploit that market and just drop the cams until later. Half development (no deadlines) takes 4 times longer and is much more expensive, and they risk greater loss if after a year of tinkering someone else comes to market versus if they just stopped now until they can devote the time to draw up a plan.

Either way I'm in for results, they are a great company so I hope they are willing to finish these.
    +1

and i understand the whole RnD process takes TIME and lots of it

however i assume the items in the OP are actually THE n54 camshafts... now i don't know of any company that takes a full 12+ month process to release some performance cams after they're prototyped? so after the initial massive RnD to get the shape/tooling in the first place... time to install, dyno, see gains, rough tune to see more gains if applicable... then uninstall and modify/produce a new set is practically insignificant in comparison?.. find the 'streetable' limit of specs and go nuts on the tuning, then they have room for 'race' cams production later for the crazies.

i entirely agree with the second paragraph even more, do it or drop it to a point, but make it clear. would rather know theyre dedicating their resources to another platform and not hal assed-ly playing around with another, than hope and wish for a long time and get nothing or dribs and drabs..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

communicating with schrick is like pulling teeth

N52 or N55?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's a Valvetronic setup, N54 doesn't have that...it could be an N55 but I doubt they'd have that modified already..maybe N52
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

communicating with schrick is like pulling teeth

N52 or N55?
    It smells like N52 setup at AVL Click here to enlarge I see no direct injection provision next to the Spark plug provision!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'm just surprised more guys here don't know Renntech and what they do. Feels like N54boost a lot of the time.
    Was that my cue? I feel like that was my cue.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great find InconspicuousClick here to enlarge Too bad I was still in High School when Mr. HF was making this AMG Hammer conversions. It's funny to see the Hp from that Era compared to today's engines technology. It would be nice to Twinturbo those M119 6.0 & upgrade them to current generation injection system per HF.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Inconspicuous Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    That's a Valvetronic setup, N54 doesn't have that...it could be an N55 but I doubt they'd have that modified already..maybe N52
    yeah i told them that so they just sent me pictures as the best form of communication lol.

be strange to have N55 cams before N54

still really strange to make N52 cams? who would want N52 cams more than N54.. not even sure they'd be legal for 130i cup style racing lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    It smells like N52 setup at AVL Click here to enlarge I see no direct injection provision next to the Spark plug provision!
    ahhh yeah the lack of DI should have given it away!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    Great find InconspicuousClick here to enlarge Too bad I was still in High School when Mr. HF was making this AMG Hammer conversions. It's funny to see the Hp from that Era compared to today's engines technology. It would be nice to Twinturbo those M119 6.0 & upgrade them to current generation injection system per HF.
    wow i was like 'damn a $50k engine i bet that' ridiculously beastly. almost doubled the price in mods!!'.... 60hp. wo..ah.... pretty sure in the years that car was released that was still a pretty small increase for the money (forced induction DID exist lol)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wow i was like 'damn a $50k engine i bet that' ridiculously beastly. almost doubled the price in mods!!'.... 60hp. wo..ah.... pretty sure in the years that car was released that was still a pretty small increase for the money (forced induction DID exist lol)
    That $178,000 sticker in 1992 would run you an eye-watering $287,000 today. Food for thought.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That $178,000 sticker in 1992 would run you an eye-watering $287,000 today. Food for thought.
    note they said $35,600 down and $3177/mo for 5yr... that's $226,200 with that maths o_o so about.. $365,000 in todays money counting interest in the lease repayments?

the extensive list of exotic's that fall under that value these days >_<

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    still really strange to make N52 cams? who would want N52 cams more than N54.. not even sure they'd be legal for 130i cup style racing lol
    The same reason why the 328 Coupes came with sport suspension automatically installed, they're naturally going to appeal as a modern, low-cost track cars. N52 = N/A = Less things go wrong/to worry about.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Too many guys on forums who think they are experts.

You need to understand PAW was working on this originally. Lenny from Renntech worked with them before moving to Renntech and PAW was a vendor here but never really got their N54 stuff going.

So, this project wasn't really a huge Renntech investment or anything it was originally started by someone else. Hope this clears it up for you. Renntech is essentially saying they may finish it when they have time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    So sick for back in the day.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

You need to understand PAW was working on this originally. Lenny from Renntech worked with them before moving to Renntech and PAW was a vendor here but never really got their N54 stuff going.

So, this project wasn't really a huge Renntech investment or anything it was originally started by someone else. Hope this clears it up for you. Renntech is essentially saying they may finish it when they have time.
    ahh that's disappointing haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    The same reason why the 328 Coupes came with sport suspension automatically installed, they're naturally going to appeal as a modern, low-cost track cars. N52 = N/A = Less things go wrong/to worry about.
    except the reality being dollar for dollar the N52 powered cars are far less capable on the track. much more (and more expensive) modification required

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Never claimed to be an expert, but that does clear it up some. You're saying it's more of a single person effort than actual company goal at this stage of development. Well, in Lenny we trust.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    except the reality being dollar for dollar the N52 powered cars are far less capable on the track. much more (and more expensive) modification required
    How so? You don't have to buy an aftermarket:
    • Tune
    • Intercooler
    • Catless Downpipes
    • Additional Oil Cooler (necessary for tracking)
    • Be concerned with WG Rattle or Turbo Replacement
    • Be concerned with Overheating/Limp Mode

Out of the box, the 328/N52 is a better road/track racing car than the N54. If all you wanna do is go fast, then yes the N54 is better, but if you're going to build a dedicated weekend warrior, the 328 is the smarter and less expensive, non-M 3 series.

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    How so? You don't have to buy an aftermarket:
    • Tune
    • Intercooler
    • Catless Downpipes
    • Additional Oil Cooler (necessary for tracking)
    • Be concerned with WG Rattle or Turbo Replacement
    • Be concerned with Overheating/Limp Mode

Out of the box, the 328/N52 is a better road/track racing car than the N54. If all you wanna do is go fast, then yes the N54 is better, but if you're going to build a dedicated weekend warrior, the 328 is the smarter and less expensive, non-M 3 series.
    people DO buy tunes, expensive headers, cat-back, intake.. for their N52 powered car. and it's less value for money

then there's some super extreme people who've gone for full standalone EMS with custom ITB's, or a 3.2 stroker. in which case they're significantly more expensive than just about anything you an do to an N54... heck even good headers are $1600 (supersprint) and tunes are $1k+

sure if all you want is something you can go out and have a putt around a track or compete in very specific classes (bathurst 12hr here has a class that 130i's dominate lol)

if you have a stock 328i on a track next to a stock 335i, the 335i shouldn't overheat (being it's not tuned) and would be quicker.

hence i'm swapping the N52 for the N54.. yeah it's cheaper from the factory.. but the N54 is cheaper to buy, swap in, and mod to make more power.. than the N52 for way less.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the 335i shouldn't overheat (being it's not tuned) and would be quicker.
    There's a "Limp Mode on the Track" thread over on E90Post & it's longer than Sticky DCT build thread. Even with the additional cooling the 335is & 1M have for the N54, those cars are still limping because of the significantly higher temps an FI car experiences (especially turbos​). IF you're gonna track, NA is the way to go.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast