Close

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    and ya wonder why developers in the begning shrugged off the N54 community and why it is soo behind...the irony

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
    and ya wonder why developers in the begning shrugged off the N54 community and why it is soo behind...the irony
    I wouldn't say it's 'behind' it's not like the obvious performers like M-cars and GT-R's and s/rs/AMG's - they get first development because they're guaranteed to sell performance parts.. it took the best part of a decade to get the 4g63, RB, jz etc. motors to AFFORDABLY perform at the level's we're soon going to be seeing out of the n54..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    I wouldn't say it's 'behind' it's not like the obvious performers like M-cars and GT-R's and s/rs/AMG's - they get first development because they're guaranteed to sell performance parts.. it took the best part of a decade to get the 4g63, RB, jz etc. motors to AFFORDABLY perform at the level's we're soon going to be seeing out of the n54..
    Its really because bmw owners, especially the n54 crowd, a majority of them are absurdly cheap. This speculation is worse than the stock exchange. As stated in the weistec thread, they can charge whatever they want to recoup costs. Considering many people will not spend $3500, they will try to get their R&D back as fast as possible. All this $#@!ing and moaning will just drive the price up, cuse why would i want to sell my product to a bunch of whiners? I would be afraid to sell even one set of cams because all it takes is to take the hit, buy one set and send it to taiwan to have it copied. Since i now spent nothing on r&d I can sell em for $800 a pair, make a killing and not give a $#@!...capitalism yes but you people forget one thing...customer service. Not to mention you think I want chinese knockoff cams in my motor? $#@! no.

This is the price of what you get thats made with quality materials and tons and tons of R&D that go into them...it will be a low volume item so expect it to be expensive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The 335 guys might be cheap, or a lot of kids with not much money to spend, while the entry price into an M3 or GTR would suggest that group has more cash on hand to spend so it’s a good marketing decision. Willing to add parts & money to buy them.

As for copying them that is a non-issue about China. Plenty of cam grinding machines in cam manufactures production facilities & performance machine shops all over the US that can copy a cam profile.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Its really because bmw owners, especially the n54 crowd, a majority of them are absurdly cheap. This speculation is worse than the stock exchange. As stated in the weistec thread, they can charge whatever they want to recoup costs. Considering many people will not spend $3500, they will try to get their R&D back as fast as possible. All this $#@!ing and moaning will just drive the price up, cuse why would i want to sell my product to a bunch of whiners? I would be afraid to sell even one set of cams because all it takes is to take the hit, buy one set and send it to taiwan to have it copied. Since i now spent nothing on r&d I can sell em for $800 a pair, make a killing and not give a $#@!...capitalism yes but you people forget one thing...customer service. Not to mention you think I want chinese knockoff cams in my motor? $#@! no. This is the price of what you get thats made with quality materials and tons and tons of R&D that go into them...it will be a low volume item so expect it to be expensive.
    Price it reasonably and you will sell a ton more. Lower profit margin but more sales = potentially bigger profits.And it's an opportunity to further introduce Renntech into the N54/BMW market and gain attention for their other products.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hell I just want to see these released. Then at least there is an option- whether cheap, expensive, or in between. See some hardware and some data, make my decision from there.
    Last edited by ra2289; 03-17-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bump for more info.
    -'09 135i MT - Custom 6466 ST - 680whp Click here to enlarge
    -'08 135i AT - 6466 ST - dead
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Xearom3 Click here to enlarge
    Bump for more info.
    Call RENNtech directly, they don't seem to be very active on the forum -- @mark@renntech or @lenny@renntech
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Neither am I. I just think it's way to early in the N54's aftermarket development to get excited about cams. To parallel, the S54 has gone from basic stock motor turbo kits to heavily built, fully forged motors and are now JUST starting to investigate turbo cams for it now. The N54 really needs to get over its fueling system short comings (in addition to high power DI tuning), investigate a higher flow intake manifold with better TB placement and preparing for built motors & determining what's the best CR for turbo upgrades like the Vargas Stage 3s or a proper Single Turbo.
    You can't draw that parallel because the S54 stock cam profile lends itself much better to aftermarket forced induction anyway due to needing to keep the curve as flat as possible for peak power at 8000 rpm. So cams can come way later for the S54 thanks to its better breathing top end and cam profile anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the flow forming is for weight, rather than power production?, much less weight in them when they're entirely hollow by filling tubes with high pressure water?

it's not like they're a component which sees incredible stress levels, as long as they're balanced and light weight?
    All I know is it complicates things hardware and software wise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yeah but V8's have a slight bump requiring 4 cams rather than two, and even at $450-$500, they're approaching upper end of pricing
    Wut the LS is single cam.

genuinely curious, how is it more complex than VVTI, which is noted to be VERY simlar to vanos? and entirely tuneable
    BMW doesn't have a monopoly on variable valve timing but their ecu and software makes it harder than other with variable valve timing. It's always BMW's electronic bull$#@! that ruins it all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Call RENNtech directly, they don't seem to be very active on the forum -- @mark@renntech or @lenny@renntech
    @m54b25

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge

BMW doesn't have a monopoly on variable valve timing but their ecu and software makes it harder than other with variable valve timing. It's always BMW's electronic bull$#@! that ruins it all.
    An LS is OHV cam-in-block arrangement(chevy did do a DOHC V8 LT-5 in the late 80s-90s.) I think he is talking more about the Fords using 4 cams. Mach 1s, terminators, coyotes etc...

In this particular case i'm not sure the electronics should be an issue. As long as they start with blanks that use OEM VANOS contol setup it should all go pretty smoothly. The only things that needs to be changed is lift, duration, LSA, and I/E centerlines(which the last two can be tweaked through tables VANOS.) No need to re-invent the entire wheel when only the tread needs some tweaking
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    An LS is OHV cam-in-block arrangement(chevy did do a DOHC V8 LT-5 in the late 80s-90s.) I think he is talking more about the Fords using 4 cams. Mach 1s, terminators, coyotes etc...
    Ya old school pushrod setup with hydraulic lifters for the camshaft but there aren't 4 camshafts it's considered single cam is it not? Sorry not overhead it's late. The modular Ford motors, yes, 4, but it's a DOHC setup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ya old school pushrod setup with hydraulic lifters for the camshaft but there aren't 4 camshafts it's considered single cam is it not? Sorry not overhead it's late. The modular Ford motors, yes, 4, but it's a DOHC setup.
    Yeah, the SOHC thing was just what i was pointing out. I know you knew the difference but i figured there would be a few that didn't. The 4.6 mod motors in the Mustang GTs were SOHC... but no-one gives two $#@!s about them lol
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, the SOHC thing was just what i was pointing out. I know you knew the difference but i figured there would be a few that didn't. The 4.6 mod motors in the Mustang GTs were SOHC... but no-one gives two $#@!s about them lol
    How would you have a SOHC on a v8? Is there one cam per head, but they just still call it a SOHC since the intake and exhaust aren't separate cams?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    How would you have a SOHC on a v8? Is there one cam per head, but they just still call it a SOHC since the intake and exhaust aren't separate cams?
    It's been done actually and Ford did it back in the day too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How would you have a SOHC on a v8?
    A cam in each head. Each camshaft has both intake and exhaust lobes. In 'murica this whole "DOHC" thing is breaking news lol
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A cam in each head. Each camshaft has both intake and exhaust lobes.
    http://www.therangerstation.com/Maga...4_6_engine.JPG
    Okay, that's what I figured. The Single in SOHC had me confused.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Okay, that's what I figured. The Single in SOHC had me confused.
    LOL the valvetrain nomenclature system is kind of weird. For instance, a GM LS engine is refered to an Over Head Valve(OHV) setup. SOHC and DOHC engines still have an overhead valve setup, but since the cams are now in the head they are "OHC".

WAYYYYY back in the day you had "flat heads" which had side valving.
    Click here to enlarge

There are still a bunch of valvetrain setups out there. It's actually A REALLY interesting topic to look into if you ever get bored.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All I know is it complicates things hardware and software wise.
    fair enough

i'd really love to know what someday ><

yeah, but other non-LS V8's?

true, but if you can have full vanos control in tuning (say with cobb) then controlling it it with some new cams would be the same/similar process?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yeah, but other non-LS V8's?
    But this is my point. Since nobody else is going to use GM's seemingly outdated cam setup you will never approach domestic pricing with other makes. It just isn't possible.

And that's not even counting the volume or cost for the GM product to begin with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Bump for more information. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 Click here to enlarge
    Bump for more information. Click here to enlarge
    i second this motion
    @BuraQ@renntech
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    apparently they aren't active on these forums (as mentioned above), so someone will need to call i guess? Either way, interested.
    -'09 135i MT - Custom 6466 ST - 680whp Click here to enlarge
    -'08 135i AT - 6466 ST - dead
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast