Close

Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AltecBX Click here to enlarge
    Well that's the obvious.
    By cleaning them, will you prevent the codes pre-maturely?
    some people clean them with good results. I just wanted new ones so I didn't have to worry at all
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    I would very much like for that to happen, however, i feel like this is a service to the whole community and politics shouldn't get involved.

Bimmerboost will definitely be the first place to see any and all updates however Click here to enlarge
    It better be,

or else you will suffer

FOREVER
    My n54 e90 is totaled Click here to enlarge looking for a replacement Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

jp, how did josh setup your cobb to work w the procede? any details?
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    jp, how did josh setup your cobb to work w the procede? any details?
    +1 I'm now stacking and would like some insight into your starting point.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    +1 I'm now stacking and would like some insight into your starting point.
    I really don't understand this, why would you stack Cobb with Procede ? Cobb can do everything that Procede or other piggyback does and much more, much better and with far less problems. Why would you intentionally shoot yourself in the foot Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

much easier to run different boost levels between fillups, ride to work in traffic, etc... and control of meth is the two main reasons many prob choose to do so... Along with the gauge hijacking and IMO jb4 in my case has easier logging, not ness better per say but easier to read and understand.

Also the AT trannies have shown great impovements in post shift timing in all gears, im sure cobb can do this too but I think atleast till this day JB4 stack cars may be better off in post shift timing than flash counterparts...

we need more FBO Protuned cobb cars to run stacked cars on video to see first hand the different.. Or more trap speeds outta protune and stacked cars.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    I really don't understand this, why would you stack Cobb with Procede ? Cobb can do everything that Procede or other piggyback does and much more, much better and with far less problems. Why would you intentionally shoot yourself in the foot Click here to enlarge
    I get the feeling that some people are under the impression that Cobb boost control is inherently flawed or nearly impossible to master. It has been my experience(and yours also) that neither is the case. In fact there is some really cool things that can be done with boost/tuning when it comes to ATR that can't be done by running Cobb for fueling/timing and a piggy for boost.

Just my 2
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Let's see, how many do you know who can actually really master ATR?
    Not being able to do something but still trying, would be shooting yourself in the foot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I get the feeling that some people are under the impression that Cobb boost control is inherently flawed or nearly impossible to master. It has been my experience(and yours also) that neither is the case. In fact there is some really cool things that can be done with boost/tuning when it comes to ATR that can't be done by running Cobb for fueling/timing and a piggy for boost.

Just my 2
    My car is currently being pro-tuned currently with RBs. I can tell you it's a long and tedious process, and it's defnitely NOT easy to achieve proper boost control. I've had a Procede for years when I was on stock turbos and whilst there were some things I disliked (no steering wheel controls despite getting promised FOREVER, never stayed connected to my laptop for logging), boost control was definitely not one of them. Throttle response clearly felt better. But I am confident this will be improved further as the pro-tuning gets finalised.

So I can fully understand when people stack a piggy over a Cobb flash for fueling especially when they run meth.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Let's see, how many do you know who can actually really master ATR?
    Not being able to do something but still trying, would be shooting yourself in the foot.
    Sell the Procede and pay for a pro-tune with the money.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I was under the impression that a proper protune is all you need with rb's / vtt stg2, what's the deal? Is anyone running a non stacked setup?
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Jip, are all your results going to be on meth or you going to get some numbers without? Reason I ask there are alot folks out there that shy away from meth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Just my 2
    Can the Cobb do boost by gear?
    Can the Cobb user change the boost level on the fly without a flash? (like when someone decides to run 93 instead of an E85 mix or a significant other is driving and doesn't need the extra power to come on by 'accident'?)

No.
    The boost by gear ALONE is worth it IMO. Being able to switch maps on the fly is another plus. The Gauge-hijacking is another huge one.

As for posting results:
    My Stage 3 writeup/install/dyno/videos will be posted in two places, BB and SF. Nazipost can just link one of those forums if they want.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Just got my car back. Just to recap: new vanos solenoids, RB upgraded PCV valve, and a new low pressure fuel sensor. The car has never felt better. idle is buttery smooth and boost response feels even better. after all this work + turbos + etc etc etc.... my car basically feels brand new. time to really make some power!

First off, aside from a lack of solid fueling with upgraded turbos - I have had ZERO problems in almost 95,000 hard driven miles - all with a procede. Fueling is now fixed with my Cobb flash. That's why I got it, and it's working beautifully for that.

Cobb does not do everything the procede does. For one it can't control meth. I would not trust anything else as a meth controller on my car. The failsafe it provides is second to none. Yes you can run an hsf-4 with their failsafe but I personally much prefer the 2-map-transition-based approach. If for some reason I run out of meth and forget or there is a meth system issue (of which i haven't had one), i don't have to worry about then babying the car or pulling over to switch maps. It just works, and it works well.

On the fly map switching is also fantastic as others have said. I also very much enjoy command center to reset specific adaptions etc.

Secondly I love the procede's boost control. It's clear that with many hours of ATR tuning you can get boost control down for your car with Cobb, but it doesn't matter to me because the procede has been perfect all these years in that sense. I have no reason to ditch that kind of control.

Like chuck said, i also very much like gauge hijacking. I don't use it all the time, but it definitely comes in handy.

Cobb is great - obviously since I now run it. But to each their own. In my case I will not be ditching the boost control + meth control that the procede gives me (along with all the other benefits). My car has never felt better, i have NO reason to run only a Cobb tune
    Last edited by jpsimon; 04-12-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I was under the impression that a proper protune is all you need with rb's / vtt stg2, what's the deal? Is anyone running a non stacked setup?
    Read my thoughts two posts above.

I'll write a full review once the pro-tune is finalised. So far it's too early to draw definite conclusions. But I can tell you that it takes a lot of work/testing to adapt the Cobb flash to the stiffness of the RB wastegates, to prevent tune-induced limp modes.
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    But I can tell you that it takes a lot of work/testing to adapt the Cobb flash to the stiffness of the RB wastegates, to prevent tune-induced limp modes.
    I have RBs and tuned the boost control myself with ATR, it was not hard at all. Here is a sample of the precision I obtained, which you can't ever get with JB4 or Procede:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...633#post413633

I have also posted my WGDC (Base) table in that thread, and I verified on another RB car that in general the tables are the same (Rob@RB adjusts all turbos identically - the difference is mostly made by intercooler pressure drop, intake type, etc).

But there are some tricks that Protuners have access to and ATR users do not. However a good tune can be done with ATR only.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I have RBs and tuned the boost control myself with ATR, it was not hard at all. Here is a sample of the precision I obtained, which you can't ever get with JB4 or Procede:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...633#post413633

I have also posted my WGDC (Base) table in that thread, and I verified on another RB car that in general the tables are the same (Rob@RB adjusts all turbos identically - the difference is mostly made by intercooler pressure drop, intake type, etc).

But there are some tricks that Protuners have access to and ATR users do not. However a good tune can be done with ATR only.
    It surely CAN be done, but I won't claim to understand how ATR works. I fully trust Dzenno on that front.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Sell the Procede and pay for a pro-tune with the money.
    I asked how many you know who master ATR and your reply merely decreases the number of people who will master ATR. The problem with a pro-tune is that you learn nothing, and know nothing what was done to your car - if anything at all, other than sending the same pro-tune as for anyone else with your mods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

@Autobahn335i , we've done 3 map revisions (after the starter map) on your car so far. You don't have the Alpina TCU flash yet as your car is an older build where it is not supported so we went with a different approach to tuning, a lot more custom, than we typically do with RB cars. Weather has also played into it and as you know your pump octane was less than 98 RON quality so tuning for power on that level of octane even with RBs is a feat on its own. We typically do about 5-7 map revisions on average before we finalize our tuning these days. For fully custom setups where users pick apart on things or get very custom calibrations it can take longer depending on what it is they're requesting.

Time wise we can finish a complete tune in about 2.5-3 hours if a customer is willing to arrange a tuning session with us. They'd take a laptop with them in the car, tether on the internet and provide us with logs where we provide maps back to them. Its worked out well for many but there are also cases where people prefer doing their tuning on a dyno and for those local to us we can do that as well. For those remote to us there are plenty other custom N54 tuners out there that'll certainly cost significantly more than us (in Europe I think its around a 1000 euros or something obnoxious like that) but should be able to do a decent job tuning as well. Problem is once you're done with a session with them most will just tell you to pay more or politely ask you to leave if you look for advice on say datalogs after the fact. Many will also look at you strange if you mention logs to them and tell you not to worry Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 04-12-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Just my 2
    Its not flawed or impossible to master. Its just easier on a piggyback.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    Just got my car back. Just to recap: new vanos solenoids, RB upgraded PCV valve, and a new low pressure fuel sensor. The car has never felt better. idle is buttery smooth and boost response feels even better. after all this work + turbos + etc etc etc.... my car basically feels brand new. time to really make some power!

First off, aside from a lack of solid fueling with upgraded turbos - I have had ZERO problems in almost 95,000 hard driven miles - all with a procede. Fueling is now fixed with my Cobb flash. That's why I got it, and it's working beautifully for that.

Cobb does not do everything the procede does. For one it can't control meth. I would not trust anything else as a meth controller on my car. The failsafe it provides is second to none. Yes you can run an hsf-4 with their failsafe but I personally much prefer the 2-map-transition-based approach. If for some reason I run out of meth and forget or there is a meth system issue (of which i haven't had one), i don't have to worry about then babying the car or pulling over to switch maps. It just works, and it works well.

On the fly map switching is also fantastic as others have said. I also very much enjoy command center to reset specific adaptions etc.

Secondly I love the procede's boost control. It's clear that with many hours of ATR tuning you can get boost control down for your car with Cobb, but it doesn't matter to me because the procede has been perfect all these years in that sense. I have no reason to ditch that kind of control.

Like chuck said, i also very much like gauge hijacking. I don't use it all the time, but it definitely comes in handy.

Cobb is great - obviously since I now run it. But to each their own. In my case I will not be ditching the boost control + meth control that the procede gives me (along with all the other benefits). My car has never felt better, i have NO reason to run only a Cobb tune
    Piggyback boost is much easier to work with but it doesn't take hours to dial in boost. Anyone with knowledge on how it works can get it dialed in 5 runs max depending on how much of a $#@! whore your wastegates are.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

I have nothing bad to say about Cobb. But for me, my boost control has been great with the procede. On top of that I have the map switching abilities that I much prefer over having to reflash every time. For ME this setup is perfect.

I'm not going to go down the rabbit hole arguing about the piggyback thing here though. you like what you like. In my case the car runs incredibly well and i've never had any boost control issues.
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Piggybacks have made targeting boost really simple for end users to set and forget. Gauges are nice too. The key piggyback issues really have to do with simply the inability to do fuel appropriately and directly controlling timing. Piggyback inability to log timing across all 6 cylinders is also a major sore. Stacking would be and is the way to go for many that wish to constantly tinker with boost curves "quickly" but for majority of people out there (outside our waters here on this mostly tech forum) this brings very little value and they just want a fast car, maybe 2 maps to switch..one daily driver and another more all out race map for the track..they want to just drive and forget about the fact the car has a tune, boost profile that tapers, fuel maps and what someone is saying about something on a forum Click here to enlarge most aren't like us on this forum
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

I will say I do love my new found solid-as-$#@! AFR and zeroed out trims
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    @Autobahn335i , we've done 3 map revisions (after the starter map) on your car so far. You don't have the Alpina TCU flash yet as your car is an older build where it is not supported so we went with a different approach to tuning, a lot more custom, than we typically do with RB cars. Weather has also played into it and as you know your pump octane was less than 98 RON quality so tuning for power on that level of octane even with RBs is a feat on its own. We typically do about 5-7 map revisions on average before we finalize our tuning these days. For fully custom setups where users pick apart on things or get very custom calibrations it can take longer depending on what it is they're requesting.

Time wise we can finish a complete tune in about 2.5-3 hours if a customer is willing to arrange a tuning session with us. They'd take a laptop with them in the car, tether on the internet and provide us with logs where we provide maps back to them. Its worked out well for many but there are also cases where people prefer doing their tuning on a dyno and for those local to us we can do that as well. For those remote to us there are plenty other custom N54 tuners out there that'll certainly cost significantly more than us (in Europe I think its around a 1000 euros or something obnoxious like that) but should be able to do a decent job tuning as well. Problem is once you're done with a session with them most will just tell you to pay more or politely ask you to leave if you look for advice on say datalogs after the fact. Many will also look at you strange if you mention logs to them and tell you not to worry Click here to enlarge
    A 2008 transmission is sitting in my garage as of this morning Click here to enlarge

I don't want to sound impatient, and it's clear that being overseas slows down the process. Not blaming you for that! However I also wasn't aware that some fuels in fact weren't the claimed octane! Click here to enlarge

Cheers,

Christian

Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast