Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

DEFIV Rear Differential Brace REVIEW

Intro
    I contacted Rick @ Defiv many weeks ago regarding the rear diff brace he made for the e92 M3 after reading the review posted and watching the wheel hop video. Even though I don't launch my car a whole lot, I was very intrigued by the review mentioning how it took care of a great deal of the DCT sloppiness. I knew this product would be even more so beneficial with the upgraded AA Gen 2 Stage 3 kit I was putting on. Rick was awesome to deal with and gave answered any questions I had very promptly with great detail. He had everything built in less time than originally estimated and was extremely patient and understanding with my schedule being moved around a bunch.

Install
    I dropped the car off on a Tuesday night at Rick's garage in PA. Talked to him for quite a bit and he is VERY knowledgeable with all types of high HP cars. He is very passionate about what he does and quite the enthusiast. I also asked Rick to let me know how he felt overall about the car as I always like getting opinions from people who know what to look for. Rick was more than accommodating to this and any other requests I had. Rick started texting me the next day with updates and pictures throughout the install. Again, awesome service! I picked up the car on Thursday night as promised. The car was freshly hand washed using quality products and my tire pressure was properly adjusted. I didn't ask for either but do I have to mention again how good the service was?Click here to enlarge

Impressions
    When I picked up the car I had Rick take me for a spin to see his opinions on everything. Even from a passenger's point of view, the rear of the car felt very solid (like a brace was put on...hmm...). Had some fun with the DSC off and no wheel hop where the car would usually be all over the place! NICE!I have driven the car for about 10 days now and will try to summarize my impressions. The rear of the car used to feel like it would bounce around a bit and now it feels totally planted. This has given me a big increase in confidence while driving. As mentioned above, you literally feel like a brace is holding the rear tightly.A HUGE added bonus to this is that the DCT transmission is running flawlessly now! I have driven many e92 M3s, owned NA & FI ones and all of the DCTs had some hiccups - from a bit of lag when downshifting every now and then to just some other odd behaviors. I have tried to get my car to repeat the small hiccups I used to experience and haven't been able to. I have probably put a good 500+ miles on the car since pickup and WOW. The car just feels so much stronger!

Conclusion
    In my opinion, this is the best ~$1k I've spent on the car, period. This is MUST HAVE for any M3 especially you DCT guys! I cannot speak for you 6speed guys but even if there is no added benefit to the transmission, it is still a big improvement on the car. Especially without having to spend thousands. I know it always helps to be able to test out a product before buying so if anyone is seriously interested they are more than welcome to go for a spin in my car.

Rick, you have done an excellent job with this product and your service. A+.
    Click here to enlarge
    ​2014 F10 M5 Competition Alpine White / Sakhir Orange
    Undercover Custom Downpipes & Connector. BMS Stage 1. IND Cosmetics. OEM CF Perf Spoiler.

E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Thanks Nik, it was my pleasure. Certainly on of the cleanest/tightest s/c //M's to come through here. Great car, and it was nice to see the advantages on a low mileage car that had fully "intact" diff bushings on it. They're usually decimated by the time I see themClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Thanks Rick!

I posted this review on M3P as well. Bit of a tough crowd over there Click here to enlarge
    Undercover Custom Downpipes & Connector. BMS Stage 1. IND Cosmetics. OEM CF Perf Spoiler.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Just a bunch of ESS people $#@!ting in the thread.... Can't talk down on something you've never experienced
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yeah man terrible. I'm sure once a couple of their own get this on it'll be a different story.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NikB316 Click here to enlarge
    Yeah man terrible. I'm sure once a couple of their own get this on it'll be a different story.
    exactly

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

You would recommend this kit even for a fbo NA m3? Dct of course...
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    You would recommend this kit even for a fbo NA m3? Dct of course...
    yes. you didnt get a chance to feel the sloppyness on mine, because i have this kit. even in stock form, the dct had sloppyness to it, EVERY E92 ive driven, all of them had it. Any moron with an E92 DCT that says they dont see room for improvement, is just that, a moron, or babies their car and never sees past 7k rpm. Some more than others, yes, but always present. I perused the comments over there, and its evident politics are at play once again. I cant see how childish these people are to argue over it. I mean, I have a different kit than Nik, and I suppose another customer review is still "biased"

I would say for you, test drive a stock dct and shift it manually as you did mine, you will feel the difference.
    Also, ill be N/A in a few days and will be able to comment on it again.

@rick@defiv keep doing what your doing, the results will speak for themselves. @nik, I can see you can maintain your compsure better than I could when faced with ignorance. If I had the time i would show you just how 2-faced the comments over there are, but its really not worth the effort.
    In the end, the information is out there, those owners who actually have a car and drive it, will see that they now hae an option, those that say they dont need it wont buy it and continue to drive will a lesser feel of the car than they could have

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ya it was a bit of a bash on the little guyClick here to enlarge plus i had to kinda spell it out to them that m3's get wheel hop. kit looks promising good luck with it
    Thanks Rick!

I posted this review on M3P as well. Bit of a tough crowd over there Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

LM,
    It was hard to maintain my composure honestly. I found myself writing posts and deleting them after reading them again. I didn't want people to have any type of negativity associated with the product itself granted it is the first posting about it there. Some of the people are just so $#@!ing stupid man. So damn ignorant. They think they know EXACTLY what a product can and cannot do that they have ZERO experience with! "This cannot fix your DCT at all...it's in your head" I would love to see one of them drive my car and honestly tell me its a placebo effect. I am nodding my head thinking of how they are shooting themselves in the foot by not giving the chance to an amazing product. It's okay - I guess it will be reserved for a select few until they finally open their damn eyes. Try to do something nice for the community by bringing a product to light that really has no negative attributes...not the response I was expecting to get. I have heard the negative stuff about the crap over there but this was my first time experiencing it first hand. Then to go and bash on small "unknown" companies. This isn't some random piece of metal sold online by a rouge site. I guess I'm just rambling now but just trying to vent without doing so over there! Also pretty damn funny that bimmerboost is a censored word. I was like WTF did I type?

Maybe those saying they have zero wheel hop don't know what it is? I was very surprised by the one guy who had a mid 10 second 1/4 mile time posting that he has NEVER experienced wheel hop in 200+ runs on a 600whp M3. I don't even think that is possible but correct me if I am wrong. I vaguely remembering some of them mentioning techniques for the strip without launching or going hard from the start to avoid traction issues and such. Perhaps they are just so used to working around wheel hop? I have never been to a strip but am looking forward to going this year. With this brace and new kit I think I can do some damage. Maybe one of you experienced guys (you, Rick, Akash) could show me some pointers and do a run as well so we can see how it performs with an experienced driver.

VCM,
    Nice post on there - very informative and well stated. Thanks - as you can see I am very much enjoying the kit. Not sure if you've ordered one but hope you have! How's that AA Level 3 kit going? I just posted some DynoJet graphs in the other thread by Andrew. 580+ SAE, 600STD & Uncorrected Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    yes. you didnt get a chance to feel the sloppyness on mine, because i have this kit. even in stock form, the dct had sloppyness to it, EVERY E92 ive driven, all of them had it. Any moron with an E92 DCT that says they dont see room for improvement, is just that, a moron, or babies their car and never sees past 7k rpm. Some more than others, yes, but always present. I perused the comments over there, and its evident politics are at play once again. I cant see how childish these people are to argue over it. I mean, I have a different kit than Nik, and I suppose another customer review is still "biased"

I would say for you, test drive a stock dct and shift it manually as you did mine, you will feel the difference.
    Also, ill be N/A in a few days and will be able to comment on it again.

@rick@defiv keep doing what your doing, the results will speak for themselves. @nik, I can see you can maintain your compsure better than I could when faced with ignorance. If I had the time i would show you just how 2-faced the comments over there are, but its really not worth the effort.
    In the end, the information is out there, those owners who actually have a car and drive it, will see that they now hae an option, those that say they dont need it wont buy it and continue to drive will a lesser feel of the car than they could have

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ya we have the gen 2 level 3 sitting at the are shop waiting for us to clear out the dead ducks we have in right now like a e46 m3 with a blown diff, 1973 320i just back from full strip and paint, gallardo needing a new oil pump and all the rest of are day to day stuff. but sooon we will get that monster on the killer bee and see if we can improve on are 490whp on dyno dynamics with gen 1 Click here to enlarge

LM,
    VCM,
    Nice post on there - very informative and well stated. Thanks - as you can see I am very much enjoying the kit. Not sure if you've ordered one but hope you have! How's that AA Level 3 kit going? I just posted some DynoJet graphs in the other thread by Andrew. 580+ SAE, 600STD & Uncorrected Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I can't wait man. That car sounds like it has some scary ass genetics! Would love to see it on a Dynojet as it would probably be the highest of its kind! Is it the HKS8550 or 8555 blower? I'm assuming 8555 but if its the 8550 even a bigger Wow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

gt8550 hehe ya it has some good genetics zak and karl made us a sweet little tune. The closest dyno jet is a 2hr ferry and a 2hr drive away got to love island life might do it just to show certain fan boys active knows their $#@!. we've talked with karl and the dyno we ran on seem to read the same as their in house one so we plan to rent the dyno dynamics for the day and do some different climate testing/tweaking. this all takes time so no clue when this will all go down.

I can't wait man. That car sounds like it has some scary ass genetics! Would love to see it on a Dynojet as it would probably be the highest of its kind! Is it the HKS8550 or 8555 blower? I'm assuming 8555 but if its the 8550 even a bigger Wow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Jesus! 8550! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Rick laying down the truth over there Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

I was very surprised by the one guy who had a mid 10 second 1/4 mile time posting that he has NEVER experienced wheel hop in 200+ runs on a 600whp M3. I don't even think that is possible but correct me if I am wrong. I vaguely remembering some of them mentioning techniques for the strip
    you mean like this Click here to enlarge :

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 1SICKM Click here to enlarge
    MDM is not the best method for the track. It still applies brakes when your tires slip resulting in power loss. For the best results....EDC soft and DSC off. Best times are obtained using DR's, heat them properly in the water box and use launch control at 5500. Using LC with street tires is a waste of time and adds to more transmission stress since you will get a burnout and tire hop.
    http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

LMAO! Time for a call out Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

LMAO! Time for a call out Click here to enlarge
    Hes actually a good guy, but may have been confused as what this is for, and that its a real issue and a real fix is here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yeah I think I put it politely...honestly more interested in his actual findings like if the DR helped significantly with wheel hop. He does have the fastest 1/4 time so I have respect!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    LM, you crack me up...that's hilariousClick here to enlarge. I'm not overly concerned about those who are skeptical, there's enough going on locally to support the product with testimonials, autocouture is getting a couple to try out, a couple Ti ones are going together this weekend for others. I dumped a pile of irrefutable and overly descriptive deep tech on them, that seemed to quiet the chatter. I put a little "I'm not selling you one until I feel like it" elitist spin on it as the cherry on topClick here to enlarge I'll let the product speak for itself, i'm least concerned about the final genesis of this part, it's even surpassed my own expectations.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rick@defiv Click here to enlarge
    LM, you crack me up...
    you know what they say.. No better friend, no worse enemy..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Intro
    I contacted Rick @ Defiv many weeks ago regarding the rear diff brace he made for the e92 M3 after reading the review posted and watching the wheel hop video. Even though I don't launch my car a whole lot, I was very intrigued by the review mentioning how it took care of a great deal of the DCT sloppiness. I knew this product would be even more so beneficial with the upgraded AA Gen 2 Stage 3 kit I was putting on. Rick was awesome to deal with and gave answered any questions I had very promptly with great detail. He had everything built in less time than originally estimated and was extremely patient and understanding with my schedule being moved around a bunch.

Install
    I dropped the car off on a Tuesday night at Rick's garage in PA. Talked to him for quite a bit and he is VERY knowledgeable with all types of high HP cars. He is very passionate about what he does and quite the enthusiast. I also asked Rick to let me know how he felt overall about the car as I always like getting opinions from people who know what to look for. Rick was more than accommodating to this and any other requests I had. Rick started texting me the next day with updates and pictures throughout the install. Again, awesome service! I picked up the car on Thursday night as promised. The car was freshly hand washed using quality products and my tire pressure was properly adjusted. I didn't ask for either but do I have to mention again how good the service was?Click here to enlarge

Impressions
    When I picked up the car I had Rick take me for a spin to see his opinions on everything. Even from a passenger's point of view, the rear of the car felt very solid (like a brace was put on...hmm...). Had some fun with the DSC off and no wheel hop where the car would usually be all over the place! NICE!I have driven the car for about 10 days now and will try to summarize my impressions. The rear of the car used to feel like it would bounce around a bit and now it feels totally planted. This has given me a big increase in confidence while driving. As mentioned above, you literally feel like a brace is holding the rear tightly.A HUGE added bonus to this is that the DCT transmission is running flawlessly now! I have driven many e92 M3s, owned NA & FI ones and all of the DCTs had some hiccups - from a bit of lag when downshifting every now and then to just some other odd behaviors. I have tried to get my car to repeat the small hiccups I used to experience and haven't been able to. I have probably put a good 500+ miles on the car since pickup and WOW. The car just feels so much stronger!

Conclusion
    In my opinion, this is the best ~$1k I've spent on the car, period. This is MUST HAVE for any M3 especially you DCT guys! I cannot speak for you 6speed guys but even if there is no added benefit to the transmission, it is still a big improvement on the car. Especially without having to spend thousands. I know it always helps to be able to test out a product before buying so if anyone is seriously interested they are more than welcome to go for a spin in my car.

Rick, you have done an excellent job with this product and your service. A+.
    Click here to enlarge
    Nothing but awesome reviews for this...

GREAT REVIEW! Very convincing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I posted this review on M3P as well.
    This was your main mistake...