Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Question On Dyno - Which wire for RPM pickup? - N54 E85 results

I'm on the dyno now but we can't find an rpm pickup wire. Are the coil wires the ones on the passenger side front? I didn't bring my tools, so I can't take off the valve cover to verify.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Cover has to come off.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

yeah just remove the plastic top cover (not valve cover) and clip the pick-up on one of the coil wires.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing.

Thanks
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Numbers?
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

434whp/455wtq on a Dynojet.

Setup - DCI, 3" DPs, FMIC, procede, procede flash, e65, 17-18psi peak.

I dialed-back the timing as it sometimes does strange things (misfire) when you lug it at low rpms like on a dyno that isn't seen on the street.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge

I dialed-back the timing as it sometimes does strange things (misfire) when you lug it at low rpms like on a dyno that isn't seen on the street.
    SMFW time?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Torque seems low. but good hp numbers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are you missing a nut (and maybe a stud) on the passenger strut mount?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pretty sure that is the alignment pin. Nice numbers!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Nice numbers need the graph.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nice numbers ghost! i really wish e85 was readily available here
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Perfect numbers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Id ask for a stock tune baseline but you don't have that luxury. Peak numbers look good

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Exclamation

Actually I do have a baseline to e50 comparison on a Mustang dyno:
    • First pic shows same mods, stock LPFP on e50 vs 93 (380whp/470wtq vs ~330/390)
    • Second shows my old e92 same mods on meth vs my current e92 on e50, no meth
    • Last chart is my dyno today on a dynojet (435/455 was the best but the graph messed up on that run.

Also, I'm on stock catback with secondary cats. The tq is nice and super flat now. I've moved it from 430 to 47x just by raising boost/timing at peak tq, but I didn't touch it today, as that is just for glory runs (I never race at that rpm and I prefer a more conservative tune at peak tq).

At 17-18 psi, and low 12:1 AFR (I'll post logs tonight), this is not a max power run, but a quick dyno on my daily setup. I run 100% e85 daily, but put e65 for the dyno to ensure I had enough fuel when I lugged it down low on the dyno.

Props to Terry for all the help with the LPFP DIY (plus DPs, DCI), and Shiv for a great tune and 24/7 tuning advice.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks good. E85 mix + factory catback FTW. Jon runs that in our E92 and loves it.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here is the log from one of the runs today (redline from above Dynojet). 18psi peak, ignition timing goes from 10 deg to 15 deg at the top end.

Fuel trims were in the low negative numbers, but I changed OL fueling to 90% to bump them up.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Looks good. E85 mix + factory catback FTW. Jon runs that in our E92 and loves it.
    Yeah, it keeps the sound nice but not raspy. I wonder how much power is to be gained from going catless. Ever dyno this?
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here is the log from one of the runs today (redline from above Dynojet). 18psi peak, ignition timing goes from 10 deg to 15 deg at the top end.

Fuel trims were in the low negative numbers, but I changed OL fueling to 90% to bump them up.

Yeah, it keeps the sound nice but not raspy. I wonder how much power is to be gained from going catless. Ever dyno this?
    Yes, removing the midcats is worth around 5-8rw in the 450rw range. Not really worth it unless you are in to drag racing, etc, and need every last HP. On our 135i I actually run the factory single 2.75" catback (but with no cats) just to keep the car super quiet. Opening it up has previously been worth around 10rw but to me it's worth making a bit less HP to keep it more of a sleeper. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

And while I was there, my buddy dyno'd his H/C Z06. We plotted them against each other and they didn't even touch! +130whp +60wtq - 400lbs!

Time for a turbo upgrade I think!
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And while I was there, my buddy dyno'd his H/C Z06. We plotted them against each other and they didn't even touch! +130whp +60wtq - 400lbs!
    Beast of a Z06 but with a more aggressive cam could get him touching 600 whp NA especially with solid headwork and tuning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Beast of a Z06 but with a more aggressive cam could get him touching 600 whp NA especially with solid headwork and tuning.
    Yeah, his head work was really just to fix the stock time bomb in the valve train. CR was almost stock (slight mill).
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Yes, removing the midcats is worth around 5-8rw in the 450rw range. Not really worth it unless you are in to drag racing, etc, and need every last HP. On our 135i I actually run the factory single 2.75" catback (but with no cats) just to keep the car super quiet. Opening it up has previously been worth around 10rw but to me it's worth making a bit less HP to keep it more of a sleeper. Click here to enlarge
    Agreed. You gained 10whp from gutting your rear cats?

I guess I could find a donor e92 stock catback if this is true to try it out.
    Change is constant