Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Any experience with Okada Plasma Direct ignition coils ?

Hi,

RB 6MT FBO here.

I am looking to change the coil packs on my car. I don't have any problem with mine (aside from a rumble in the exhaust - or diff Click here to enlarge - at lower RPMs which a tuner said it could be coils - however no misfire is detected and the car runs perfectly) but they have 50k miles and I am looking to increase the power and torque on pump gas only (at this stage). I am curious if the timing can indeed be increased 1-2 degrees over stock coils when using these coils like they advertise ? Anyone has experience with these coils ?

Thanks !

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think Dzenno or Enrita had these coils on their cars. As far as the rumble is concerned, me and a few other believe that it is caused by the DMF. What flywheel and clutch setup do you have?
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dzenno:
    I've got the Okada ignition coils delivered today. I thought I would never order these coils as I always felt, and still think, they are retarded expensive for what they claim to offer. However, since installing RB turbos I've had consistent issues with misfires related to bank2 and when codes are scanned sometimes its just cylinder 5, other times its 5 and 4 or 6 or all three, but cylinder 5 seems to be predominantly there. I tried the easy stuff, replaced all spark plugs twice in 20,000km, played around with swapping OEM coils from one cylinder to the next and misfire didn't move banks/cylinders. I also removed the procede and ran the JB4 just a few days ago, no difference. I even got a misfire once on the Cobb tune.

About the ANNOYING misfire. It 'ONLY' happens at 6400-6500rpm at WOT. The car runs like an absolute beast on any boost level up until it hits 6400-6500rpm at boost 16psi and above. In colder weather up here in Canada I could even reproduce it at 14psi at times..now that its warmed up boost can be a bit higher but there seems to be a threshold and it seems not really boost related but "torque" related. The reason I say that is I can pull off no misfire with 15.5psi and 100% ignition correction on the procede which is about 2 degrees ignition retard at 6500rpm. If I reduce that ignition correction to 0, meaning NO ignition retard and stock timing curve, this will misfire. I could do the same thing the other way around and raise boost to say 16-16.5psi and leave ignition correction at 2 deg at 6500rpm and it will misfire. So what happens when you up boost but leave timing the same: you increase torque..what happens when you leave boost the same but increase timing, you raise torque...basically what happens is you're playing at much higher than stock cylinder pressures and higher cylinder pressures, high boost will create more resistance across which the spark has to make it across...on top of that couple the high RPMs which reduce the coil dwell time (i.e. time for the coil to charge up again before firing again the next time) you're starting to depend on secondary spark quite a bit which Okada claims have tested and is very weak and increased many times with their embedded coil amplifier. From the looks of it and you can see this from the pics the coils themselves are Bosch made with an amplifier where they have their logo on the top portion of the coil.

I purchased my set from Phil@VividRacing (http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/o...i-p-64505.html). He's a great guy and was really helpful in working through with my order. VividRacing is one of a very few vendors that are authorized distributors of Okada products in North America (think there's maybe one other one).

Here's a an excerpt from Okada Projects on the description of these coils:

==============================

**Plasma Direct is chosen by Japanese customers as No.1 Ignition part,most effective,most desired part.**

A revolution in ignition technology!! The Plasma Direct is the ignition coil with a high power amplifier built in to it. The Plasma Directs produce 4 times more spark energy than stock coils and also generate an ultra fast multi spark discharge of 10 sparks up to highest RPM. The spark amperage is increased 100%, allowing the spark to reach many more molecules and therefore accelerate the ignition and combustion process. This is extremely important in forced induction applications but also improves the performance of normally aspirated engines.

The Plasma Direct will increase horsepower and torque throughout the entire rpm range. This upgrade will also reduce fuel consumption. Even the engines with a legendary smoothness will be further refined with the Plasma Direct upgrade. Our Plasma Directs are OBD II compliant and C.A.R.B. approved.

Installation is easy. Direct bolt-in to the engine, no splicing or cutting into stock wiring, simply replace the stock coils with our Plasma Direct Coils and ready to go!

Highlights:
    -100% secondary current (Spark Amperage) increase
    -4 Times Spark Energy Increase for the initial spark discharge
    -Easy installation. Only replace stock coils to Plasma Direct.
    -Compatible with all OEM components
    -Compatible with OBD-II (On-Board-Diagnostics)

============================================

Enrita and one other member on this board are the only ones running Okada coils on this board. I wish they provided reviews before but at the same time they've put enough milage on their cars, Enrita with upgraded turbos, without any issues. Okada docs do indicate that the car may require ignition timing tuning to take 100% advantage of their coils. I'll try to see how CPS offsetting on the procede works out with them. I have tons of logs with the stock coils and RB turbos and will compare data with these coils. I'm really hoping they will solve the misfire issue. If not I'll replace the cylinder 5 injector which looks to be the only other meaningful cause.

Here's some pics, Former_Boosted_IS style lol:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    As far as the rumble is concerned, me and a few other believe that it is caused by the DMF. What flywheel and clutch setup do you have?
    I have OEM flywheel and Sachs Performance 4-puck clutch. No, the "rumble" is felt in the rear, in the exhaust OR in the diff. Could be the diff in conjunction with the M3 subframe bushings. But the rumble is sometimes also accompanied by subtle jerkiness (only sometimes) which leads me to believe the coil packs theory. This only happens when I accelerate at like 2000RPM, until 2500 or so (I read that the combustion is difficult at these RPMs). Also, it is less and less pronounced with more and more refined ATR tuning (read: timing pull at lower RPMs in order to combat timing corrections in those areas - but this also lowers the torque so it could still be the diff) to the point I can almost no longer feel it these days...who knows.

Thanks for the dzenno review, I read it but his car's engine was not in a good condition when he tried them. He also ran a piggyback back then and I don't think full advantage of the upgraded coils can be obtained without access to the timing tables.
    Last edited by cstavaru; 03-12-2013 at 07:13 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A lot of S54 guys have tried these. Apparently, there are better ways to spend your money.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    A lot of S54 guys have tried these. Apparently, there are better ways to spend your money.
    This is clearly true for naturally aspirated engines. But on turbo engines most of what I read points toward some increase in power (modest but can be more with a retune), consistency and smoothness.
    Last edited by cstavaru; 03-12-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    unfortunatey i had a crappy engine for 2 years so cannot really say if they did some good or not. i have had them on for 40K km and non issues so far. Are you already using the NGK plugs? Maybe both together is a great combo.
    For pump gas only maybe the okada are a waste of money. I am going to run 100% E85 from now on.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    unfortunatey i had a crappy engine for 2 years so cannot really say if they did some good or not. i have had them on for 40K km and non issues so far. Are you already using the NGK plugs? Maybe both together is a great combo.
    For pump gas only maybe the okada are a waste of money. I am going to run 100% E85 from now on.
    Nice to know that they are at least reliable.

My theory is that pump gas could better benefit of better burn/combustion.

If I get a good price from the couple of sellers I contacted I think I will try a set, to see what is all about.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you should get some plugs with 4 electrodes to go with them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    This is clearly true for naturally aspirated engines. But on turbo engines most of what I read points toward some increase in power (modest but can be more with a retune), consistency and smoothness.
    Guys with HPF kits on the S54 too...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Better off getting NGK's/quality plugs that are 1-step colder. Running Ignition Coils that (for a pack of 6) cost over $1k is a waste of money until you install them on something like the Single Turbo or Vargas Stage 3s.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I believe Dzenno's misfiring issues were due to incorrectly coded injector. This was BEFORE I released my DIY injector coding and which he later on used to recode his injectors and subsequently fix the misfires.

I could be wrong on this, so until we hear from @dzenno no himself, take this with a grain of salt.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They're expensive that's for sure. Power wise you won't make more power with them than stock coils. They promise to deliver better spark so in cases where spark is an issue they may help but hard to say.

All in all my "theory" is that with gapped NGK5992 plugs you're reducing demand on the ignition system as it has less work to do to bridge the gap at high combustion chamber pressures. Less load on the ignition system the longer the coils should last. Put the Okada coils on and they might last a very long time and make burned up coils a lot less frequent. At the same time a new coil here and there is about $80 i think, not sure...maybe just a fresh set of OEM coils and gapped NGK 5992s is all that might be needed to have decent longevity out of the ignition system...

In terms of misfires the car was still plagued after installing them. Oddly enough the car didn't misfire when i turned misfire detection back on with the vargas prototypes on the car and higher than 15psi and more power than where the car used to misfire before. Very odd issue regardless. I just had a spec single mass flywheel fitted to the car with the 3+ clutch so we'll see how that goes once broken in.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    They're expensive that's for sure. Power wise you won't make more power with them than stock coils. They promise to deliver better spark so in cases where spark is an issue they may help but hard to say.

All in all my "theory" is that with gapped NGK5992 plugs you're reducing demand on the ignition system as it has less work to do to bridge the gap at high combustion chamber pressures. Less load on the ignition system the longer the coils should last. Put the Okada coils on and they might last a very long time and make burned up coils a lot less frequent. At the same time a new coil here and there is about $80 i think, not sure...maybe just a fresh set of OEM coils and gapped NGK 5992s is all that might be needed to have decent longevity out of the ignition system...

In terms of misfires the car was still plagued after installing them. Oddly enough the car didn't misfire when i turned misfire detection back on with the vargas prototypes on the car and higher than 15psi and more power than where the car used to misfire before. Very odd issue regardless. I just had a spec single mass flywheel fitted to the car with the 3+ clutch so we'll see how that goes once broken in.
    what happened with hpf clutch ? last I heard no problems with it . curious cause im highly considering one. understand you are now selling spec and are probably running it yourself so you can give real world reviews ect ...on them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hi,

RB 6MT FBO here.

I am looking to change the coil packs on my car. I don't have any problem with mine (aside from a rumble in the exhaust - or diff Click here to enlarge - at lower RPMs which a tuner said it could be coils - however no misfire is detected and the car runs perfectly) but they have 50k miles and I am looking to increase the power and torque on pump gas only (at this stage). I am curious if the timing can indeed be increased 1-2 degrees over stock coils when using these coils like they advertise ? Anyone has experience with these coils ?

Thanks !
    Hey Bro....I have a FBO 535i and ever since having the Quaife HLSD installed, I have had this problem myself. Bizarre indeed but it's always followed by a code. Either Boost Leak or Cylinder Misfire on my Cobb Access Port.

I have my tech researching but if you have any other information you could provide, I'd love to know. I just had a Cobb Pro Tune done last week and my car was running like a monster up until I had this "rumble in the exhaust" today while driving on the freeway. Checking codes it was Cylinder Misfire in both Cylinder 3 and 4. We are going to look to the coil packs first. I had NGK's installed about 3 weeks ago but didn't replace the Bosch Coils at the same time. They are only 25k miles. But maybe the Cobb Tune plays havoc on them?

I will let you know what we find out when checking everything out tomorrow.

Jay C

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang Click here to enlarge
    We are going to look to the coil packs first. I had NGK's installed about 3 weeks ago but didn't replace the Bosch Coils at the same time. They are only 25k miles. But maybe the Cobb Tune plays havoc on them?
    Running any high power tune, especially at FBO levels and higher, the Spark Plugs usually die out around 25k and the Ignition Coils ~40k. Just nature of the beast since you're placing a significantly higher demand on the various parts (vs. the OEM tune settings).
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am looking to change the coil packs on my car. I don't have any problem with mine (aside from a rumble in the exhaust - or diff - at lower RPMs which a tuner said it could be coils - however no misfire is detected and the car runs perfectly) but they have 50k miles and I am looking to increase the power and torque on pump gas only (at this stage). I am curious if the timing can indeed be increased 1-2 degrees over stock coils when using these coils like they advertise ? Anyone has experience with these coils ?
    I am also using Okada coils on my e92 335i as well as on my F10 M5. I have great experiences them. If you left money and would like to tune your engine up to the sky, than maybe you should try Okada Plasma Ground as well (i have this as well).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by csl335i Click here to enlarge
    I am also using Okada coils on my e92 335i as well as on my F10 M5. I have great experiences them. If you left money and would like to tune your engine up to the sky, than maybe you should try Okada Plasma Ground as well (i have this as well).
    Thanks for this information. There really isn't enough empirical evidence to prove whether the OKADA components do anything above and beyond NKG Sparks and New Bosch Coils.

Does anyone know if the Okada Plasma Ground can be sourced for a e60 535i? Looking at their site and some other distributors, it only says for 335i for N54. Strange to be sure.

Jay C

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Does anyone know if the Okada Plasma Ground can be sourced for a e60 535i? Looking at their site and some other distributors, it only says for 335i for N54. Strange to be sure.
    That is strange you would think they would have them for the N55. Why do you want them anyway though?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    DO NOT USE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Click here to enlarge
    I probably run as much boost as you do fuel pressure

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No longevity with them at all whatsoever!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for this information. There really isn't enough empirical evidence to prove whether the OKADA components do anything above and beyond NKG Sparks and New Bosch Coils.

Jay C
    They will fit your e60 535. Coils are specific to the engine, not the chassis.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

I felt I was too vague in my response and I apologize.

On numerous occasions we have tried coils other than factory. What we feel is the truth, and this is not scientific. Just seems to be correct.

The Aftermarket coils appear to have better spark energy. BUT..... When used in a application that actually requires better than stock coils, i.e. 700+whp they fail quickly, unlike the stock coils. This happened to us numerous times with turbo E46 M3's. Not just one set and one car. Multiple. We also have seen premature spark break up on less powerful cars such as VW's and Audi's which Okada supports.

We began using LS coils and Aftermarket HO LS coils about a year ago and haven't looked back. When seeing AFR's go a full point leaner(indicating more fuel being burned) and a large increase in HP it was a no brainer.

Bottom line is we will always use factory coils all the way up until we can't anymore. The quality control of a factory part is unmatched. This even goes for a coil in a BMW package vs a Bosch package. Are they the same coil? Yes! Is there a better chance of having a failed coil or premature failure out of a bosch box vs a bmw box? Yes!! But Why you ask? The mandated quality control of BMW is no longer there with a Bosch box. There no contract to loose for Bosch if their part fails out of the box like there is when you purchase a OEM BMW part.

We've had similar experiences with crank and cam sensors as well. But oddly enough not O2 sensors.

As I said before, none of my statements are scientific. They are just real world experiences coming from someone whos been doing this for 15 years and worked in a lot of varying environments.

So, at the end. Take what I say for what its worth.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have been using my Okada coils in my e92 335i N54 since the last 45k km without any problem. I am changing my spark plugs in every 20k km. I have been using my Okada coils in my F10 M5 since the last 15k km without any problem. For instance, Okada does not provide coils for f10 m5/S63TU, but provide coils for S63 engines. Guess what, the S63 and S63TU engine uses the same Bosch coils, so i have ordered the Okada coils for S63 = S63TU.

Okada plasma ground is another story, which is related to n54 engine. If e60 535i has the same engine, than it fits.

Okada coils for BMWs are actually modified Bosch/factory coils and are very reliable for me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by csl335i Click here to enlarge
    I have been using my Okada coils in my e92 335i N54 since the last 45k km without any problem. I am changing my spark plugs in every 20k km. I have been using my Okada coils in my F10 M5 since the last 15k km without any problem. For instance, Okada does not provide coils for f10 m5/S63TU, but provide coils for S63 engines. Guess what, the S63 and S63TU engine uses the same Bosch coils, so i have ordered the Okada coils for S63 = S63TU.

Okada plasma ground is another story, which is related to n54 engine. If e60 535i has the same engine, than it fits.

Okada coils for BMWs are actually modified Bosch/factory coils and are very reliable for me.
    Why did you even switch to the Okada coils?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast