Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Benefits of n55 engine over n54

I am sharing what I found to be the benefits of the n55 engine over the n54. The main difference is valvetronic and twin-scroll turbo (single turbo) in the n55. And a twin turbo in the n54.

n55
    slightly better fuel economy. (I would say 1-2% but technically there is upto 5% due to twinscroll turbo)
    slightly better efficiency (5-7% according to the modified.com article)
    Combination of direct injection, turbo and valvetronic (actual benefit i am unsure. However this is the first time these have been used together so I am assuming there is some sort of synergistic affect)
    Peak torque comes on 200rpm earlier at 1200.
    Engine is 9pounds lighter.
    This all leads to an increased 6hp stock.

Benefits of twin scroll turbo:
    http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-09...ign/index.html

Overview of n55 engine:
    http://www.mwerks.com/artman2/publis...Cylinder.shtml

I was debating whether or not the n55 was going to be good as the n54 has so much on offer in terms of mods. However I think with this being the standard and much more research and development to come in terms of tunes etc. I think the n55 has alot of potential.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hi,

The majority of people/tuners/owners of N55 motors have pretty much agreed that the N55 won't have the same power potential as the N54.

True it has valvetronic, which is a nice technology to have; but that really is only useful for economy
    (by minimizing pumping losses through the throttle blade), not a huge concern when tuning for power when you are WOT anyway. Adjusting your valve lift is a moot point when you need maximum lift anyway to make maximum power, valvetronic really shines in fuel economy which is something I and a lot of people who buy the 135 dont care much about.

Peak torque doesnt really come on early as claimed, there are dynos to prove this. I dont know why BMW does this, but they are completely bullshitting us when they say the N54 makes maximum torque at 1500, more like 2200 and the N55 is about the same.

There isnt much difference stock for stock powerwise between the two engines. After tuning though, it 'seems' as though the N54 will just be the better platform. Dont forget that valvetronic is yet another variable thrown in the equation for tuners to try and play with. And believe me, they will probably leave it locked out for simplicity and for maximum power if all else.

Twin scrolls are nice, but id rather have the 9 lbs heavier engine with the extra turbo.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't have either so I am not bias I am just researching. From what I have read they haven't pretty much agreed that the n55 won't have the same power potential as the N54. What is being said is they don't know and its yet to be seen if the n55 does have the potential. The slight difference is one view rules out the n55 where as the other says we are unsure for now.

Can you provide links? So I can put it into a table and we can judge based on that rather than post vs post. Similar to this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374508

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dh58 Click here to enlarge
    I am sharing what I found to be the benefits of the n55 engine over the n54. The main difference is valvetronic and twin-scroll turbo (single turbo) in the n55. And a twin turbo in the n54.

n55
    slightly better fuel economy. (I would say 1-2% but technically there is upto 5% due to twinscroll turbo)
    Combination of direct injection, turbo and valvetronic (actual benefit i am unsure. However this is the first time these have been used together so I am assuming there is some sort of synergistic affect)

Overview of n55 engine:

I was debating whether or not the n55 was going to be good as the n54 has so much on offer in terms of mods. However I think with this being the standard and much more research and development to come in terms of tunes etc. I think the n55 has alot of potential.
    Great post, very nice work!
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    The majority of people/tuners/owners of N55 motors have pretty much agreed that the N55 won't have the same power potential as the N54.
    The majority of people who are saying the N55 won't have the same potential are N54 owners.

It is absolutely comical to me that when the N55 hasn't even had much development they are already coming to conclusions on the potential. Has anyone established what the N55 turbo can flow for the N54 stock twins? Has anyone seen how difficult a turbo upgrade on the N55 will be? We are at the beginning of N55 development and anyone saying the N55 won't have the same potential is coming to a premature conclusion.

How good did the N54 look in early development vs. now? It is a night and day difference. I believe the N55 will be reaching big power levels much faster than the N54 did. A single turbo setup is simply the way to go on an I6 if you are modding for power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thank you Sticky!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The majority of people who are saying the N55 won't have the same potential are N54 owners.
    That is what I thought at first, then I re-read DBFIU's post before I commented and he says that its n55 owners too lol. I don't agree but he does say that.

That said you can't make a conclusion on something until you test it right? Has the n55 gone through many tests yet? I don't think so and that is why people are coming to conclusions early.

Anyway this post wasn't meant to be about is the n54 the superior engine or the n55. Its ONLY about what benefits the n55 brings over the n54. Thats all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyway this post wasn't meant to be about is the n54 the superior engine or the n55. Its ONLY about what benefits the n55 brings over the n54. Thats all.
    That wasn't your intention but you know how things go Click here to enlarge Your post was great.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i have to agree with DBFIU. BMW put the 'old' n54 in the 'is' model and now the 1M coupe. what does that tell you? rumor also has it the new m3 will be a straight 6 with twin turbos, possibly an n54 modified by the factory...

true, i agree we have yet to see the n55's potential, once some limitations in tuning are broken. but did you guys know the n55 has a throttle blade? in addition to its valvetronic? its supposed to be a throttle-less intake system, but it does have a backup throttle blade before the intake runners. i hope the n55 can one day race neck and neck with an n54, or even better beat one, but i'd say we have a good year or two before n54 owners need be worried.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    i have to agree with DBFIU. BMW put the 'old' n54 in the 'is' model and now the 1M coupe. what does that tell you
    Tells me it was cheaper. What does them developing the N55 tell you?

The rumor is the M3 will get an N55 variant, not N54.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No i dont own an N55. So i dont have real world experience with it. I am going by what some tuners have mentioned, the engine will be less potent. I never assumed anything, so dont quote me on that, and no need to get your panties all tangled. I am just relaying to you what the general mood is around here; and I've been around for a while.

It could very well be that the N55 could be a show stopper, but with all the BMW security lock-outs and integrated OEM hardware it will only be more of a headache to tune and make power. For example, integrated diverter valve in the compressor housing, they moved the ECU around (sneaky bastards), I believe there is also an algorithm controlled DCT function that only allows a certain number of launches, or something along those lines.
    Valvetronic. Yes it's awesome technology; infinitely variable valve lift is a feat I agree. But who cares when you need maximum lift for power? Valvetronic is just going to be another obstacle for tuners. Click here to enlarge

I do not have data on the flow characteristics of the single twin scroll turbo, but if you look at the dyno graph; it spits out almost identical numbers as a stock N54 with about 0.5-1 psi more boost which hints at a less potent turbocharger. This is all verifyable data that was proven on a dyno back to back and overlayed. The link is somewhere on n54tech.

And don't believe half of the $#@! BMW tells you; those are the marketing majors hard at work, they need to sell so they will put out there anything they can for anybody to gawk at. Just because BMW claims it comes with 6 hp extra stock doesnt mean it actually does.

Oh and the majority of people who say the N55 will have more potential are N55 owners, it goes both ways. Data never lies though. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by DBFIU; 08-07-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: for the lolz

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am going by what some tuners have mentioned, the engine will be less potent.
    I think Terry is the only one to have said that and I believe it was to cater to the N54 crowd. There was no real basis for it.

I don't own either Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I really like that everyone is bringing new information to this thread but where is your source?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I really like that everyone is bringing new information to this thread but where is your source?
    n54tech.com as I have mentioned. Terry is one of the few who has experience tuning the N55 and he can chime in if he wants to. I don't need to argue in circles or be his ambASSador.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    n54tech.com as I have mentioned. Terry is one of the few who has experience tuning the N55 and he can chime in if he wants to. I don't need to argue in circles or be his ambASSador.
    lol I wish I could reference so easily and so broadly. The site is for n54? Seems there is motivation to be bias?

*Note: I am being entirely transparent with my posts. I don't care which is better because I will make my decision to buy based on it. I just want the best facts possible and thats why I am pushing for sources rather than passed on opinions.*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The website is called n54tech.com because n55tech.com has been taken. If you bother to even do some research you'll quickly find that n54tech.com doesn't cater to just the N54.

The majority of people on that forum including myself, own 2 or 3 different cars of different makes. We really don't care if it's an N54, S65, mustang GT, Corvette, or $#@!ing hovercraft; that place is usually up to date on the latest developments of both the N54 and N55. I know the name of the site sounds bias, but it's just a name.

The owner of the N54tech.com is also the first successful tuner of the N55 engine. He was also the one to verify most of my statements using dyno comparisons and tuning experience.
    Last edited by DBFIU; 08-08-2010 at 06:47 AM.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

n55

Overview of n55 engine:

The enhanced fuel economy is not that much because of the twin scroll, but mostly because of the valvetronic.
    The fuel economy is far better than a few percentages, it is way > 10% better with N55.
    By efficiency, modified.com refers to fuel economy, but their figures are wrong.
    The peak torque at 1200 rpm is BS.
    There is no difference in the official power figures in between N54 and N55. Both engines are rated at 300hp (SAE, i.e. 306hp DIN).
    The twin scroll technology avoids pulses interfering. Twin turbos do the same thing. Your article compares twin scroll technology to the old single turbo technology. Turbo upgrades on my cars have been been twin scrolls for ages already.... great tech.
    N55 potential is not yet well documented. Tuned N55 do not seem to shine currently. It's turbo might flow less than the twins of N54. No N55 tuning so far would imply it to have better potential than N54. However, chances are that for the serious tuners a turbo upgrade might be feasible and involve swapping only one turbo instead of 2. A lot depends on the space limitations.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The website is called n54tech.com because n55tech.com has been taken. If you bother to even do some research you'll quickly find that n54tech.com doesn't cater to just the N54.

The majority of people on that forum including myself, own 2 or 3 different cars of different makes. We really don't care if it's an N54, S65, mustang GT, Corvette, or $#@!ing hovercraft; that place is usually up to date on the latest developments of both the N54 and N55. I know the name of the site sounds bias, but it's just a name.

The owner of the N54tech.com is also the first successful tuner of the N55 engine. He was also the one to verify most of my statements using dyno comparisons and tuning experience.
    Ok this is good info thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok this is good info thanks.
    No problem, and welcome aboard! Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

This is somewhat true, but come on now, there is a strong N54 bias there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This is somewhat true, but come on now, there is a strong N54 bias there.
    Lies... All lies.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i dont see how its bias as its also discussing the ongoing tuning of the n55. Its not as though they are discussing it as if the options were from a competitiors tune. Same company. But, as usual some people under-promise and over-deliver

IMO, i would think it would be easier to tune and have more potential, once things really get moving on it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Ok guys you must know how much I love facts and sources and I have 2 coming up.

If we compare jb1 (n54) when it came out and the performance gains it gave with the jb1 (n55) that is going to come out with the performance gains it is going to give.

n54 JB1
    Source: http://www.burgertuning.com/jb2.html
    Benefit: Upto +40HP
    Click here to enlarge

n55 JB1
    Source: http://www.burgertuning.com/N55_Jb_B...nce_Tuner.html
    Benefit: Upto +50HP
    Click here to enlarge

Notes:
    We can't say that the extra 10hp is from the n55 engine alone because burgertuning will have learnt a few things and been smarter going into development for the jb1. However that being said, at the end of the day if we are able to do more with the engine from what we have learnt from the n54, then the n55 is looking to be a good platform!

My own message:
    I wish we could tell if the n55 had an increase in boost psi.
    Last edited by dh58; 08-09-2010 at 05:16 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    dh58,
    What you call as JB1 for N55 actually corresponds to JB3 in both its functionality and hardware.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    dh58,
    What you call as JB1 for N55 actually corresponds to JB3 in both its functionality and hardware.
    How can you tell? Was it from the picture? (I tried googling before I posted so am very interested)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    dh58,
    How is it similar in functionality exactly?

It is similar in being the initial offering. Obviously the hardware BMS sources has evolved but that does not change development time on the platform.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast