Close

View Poll Results: Your preferred Methanol Injection Kit

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • CoolingMist

    3 5.00%
  • Aquamist

    31 51.67%
  • BMS Kit(s)

    22 36.67%
  • Other (Please mention which one)

    4 6.67%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 101 to 119 of 119
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,130
    Rep Points
    9,143.4
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    92


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Car has nothing near stock run flats on it. I honestly hate these forums sometimes, people just assume and assume and assume assume. Also comparing these things to running RB's on 91 is like comparing apples to oranges. RB's are limited in HP no matter what fuel, timing, boost you throw at them. These are not. I am really starting to rethink my strategy for anything else we build. Just build it, don't say anything and post numbers. All this nitpicking, really don't care for it.

    Signing out of this convo, I got too much other stuff to do. D feel free to post for me. You might have more time on your hands then I do.
    Get some 555Rs. They are good safe tires for tuning higher power levels. I would not waste my time on street tires.

    On the forums, you need public exposure to sell, but with it you also need to accept the commentary and questions from an odd mix of enthusiasts, trolls, and competitors. It's the nature of the beast. Don't let it bother you. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 03-11-2013 at 04:19 PM.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Octane also has nothing to do with power levels either, airflow has to do with power potential sorry if that was confusing... octane only deals with heat management on a fundamental level. themyst you're letting me down from your usual self Click here to enlarge
    Octane has nothing to do with power output? So then we are all wasting our time running E85 or methanol?

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    We give you very little? We don't have to give you anything. I am posting progress because people are curious, that's the only reason. You guys going bdck and forth does nothing to move things forward.The progress posted now will be numbers. You guys can hem and haw to your hearts content in the mean time. Cheers
    Breaking tires loose in 3rd is giving us little, hence how this 2 page discussion started. All I did was make a statement that breaking traction can be done on stock turbos and dzenno took offense to it apparently, when it was lighthearted in tone and not directed at anyone in particular

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,684
    Rep Points
    3,343.8
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    You ran a FFTEC single turbo?

    Anyway, look back to how this $#@!fest started. You made cute little blanket statements about breaking loose in 3rd gear with nothing else to back it up, similar to how Shiv teases developments. You seriously expected less of a reaction?

    I think I speak for all when we say give us hard data and results, and no one can dispute. Not statements about breaking traction.
    LOL Why? You ready to sign a cheque? Or are you just cranky again?
    Click here to enlarge

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    LOL Why? You ready to sign a cheque? Or are you just cranky again?
    My next move is into a CTS-V, but I give kudos where due. Even to vishnu customers that run 60-130s with indisputable data.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston under a book
    Posts
    1,404
    Rep Points
    2,677.5
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Octane has nothing to do with power output? So then we are all wasting our time running E85 or methanol?
    Octane in itself has nothing to do with power. It is a number to signify how much heat it can take before combusting. As air/fuel is compressed, it gets hot. The hotter it gets, the closer to that event you get. Higher octane pushes that ceiling higher.

    If you'd read my post up there, it may help you visualize it. The point of the forums is to share information and learn more, and you are on the cusp of it (I know, I read your posts a lot).

    Our engines have lots of backpressure, either from the exhaust ports on the head (unknown how much), the factory turbos/manifold, factory exhaust, etc. They all contribute to lowering the VE of the engine. If you cannot get rid of the heat out of the combustion chamber, it will heat up incoming air. This means that you are artificially lowering the thermal ceiling for any gas you run. It's not dependent on the power the car is making, if that makes sense? Higher octane gasoline can deal with the heat better before detonation.

    E85 has much more latent heat, and much more octane. Both things counteract the leftover heat in the combustion chamber.

    Methanol has even more latent heat than E85, and even more octane. It also counteracts the effects of heat in the combustion chamber, be it from backpressure, engine compression, IAT, etc.

    Whether you take heat out by letting it flow more freely through the exhaust, remove heat with an intercooler, or remove heat chemically with methanol/E85, water, whatever... it doesn't matter. The energy is conserved, you just have to deal with it. Higher octane deals with it better than lower, so thus you usually make better power on high octane. But, you can also deal with heat in other ways... increasing the VE of the engine, adding an intercooler, spraying water (even without meth), lowering compression, all just ways to decrease heat.

    I hope that helps.
    Last edited by V8Bait; 03-11-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spelling

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,921
    Rep Points
    3,973.5
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Get some 555Rs. They are good safe tires for tuning higher power levels. I would not waste my time on street tires.

    On the forums, you need public exposure to sell, but with it you also need to accept the commentary and questions from an odd mix of enthusiasts, trolls, and competitors. It's the nature of the beast. Don't let it bother you. Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Terry I appreciate that. Sometimes I just get frustrated with people who are not as knowledgeable as you. We will be simply posting numbers from now on as we progress. These small updates really do nothing but bring out the trolls.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston under a book
    Posts
    1,404
    Rep Points
    2,677.5
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Terry I appreciate that. Sometimes I just get frustrated with people who are not as knowledgeable as you. We will be simply posting numbers from now on as we progress. These small updates really do nothing but bring out the trolls.
    Make whatever updates you want. I have just been trying to respond to the comments that are slightly misguided in physics and engineering, something like "the tires spin in third" I have no idea how anybody has an opinion about. Terry's forum is better about drama but I guess I'm stuck creeping here until these are released.

    I can spin my tires in 6th. That happens when there is snow on the ground. Do I need drag radials too? Yeesh guys calm down about it! Let them tune and have their fun. This isn't politics, they don't have an engineer or a political correspondent drafting and editing all of their posts. Just people here.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston under a book
    Posts
    1,404
    Rep Points
    2,677.5
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    This thread is so far off-topic it's silly.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,921
    Rep Points
    3,973.5
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Make whatever updates you want. I have just been trying to respond to the comments that are slightly misguided in physics and engineering, something like "the tires spin in third" I have no idea how anybody has an opinion about. Terry's forum is better about drama but I guess I'm stuck creeping here until these are released.

    I can spin my tires in 6th. That happens when there is snow on the ground. Do I need drag radials too? Yeesh guys calm down about it! Let them tune and have their fun. This isn't politics, they don't have an engineer or a political correspondent drafting and editing all of their posts. Just people here.
    Have zero issues with your comments. They are always informative and usually spot on. Its some of the others that are more frustrating

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Octane in itself has nothing to do with power. It is a number to signify how much heat it can take before combusting. As air/fuel is compressed, it gets hot. The hotter it gets, the closer to that event you get. Higher octane pushes that ceiling higher.

    If you'd read my post up there, it may help you visualize it. The point of the forums is to share information and learn more, and you are on the cusp of it (I know, I read your posts a lot).

    Our engines have lots of backpressure, either from the exhaust ports on the head (unknown how much), the factory turbos/manifold, factory exhaust, etc. They all contribute to lowering the VE of the engine. If you cannot get rid of the heat out of the combustion chamber, it will heat up incoming air. This means that you are artificially lowering the thermal ceiling for any gas you run. It's not dependent on the power the car is making, if that makes sense? Higher octane gasoline can deal with the heat better before detonation. I do wonder if there would be any benefit to injecting E85 through a water kit as opposed to methanol (pump life not withstanding)

    E85 has much more latent heat, and much more octane. Both things counteract the leftover heat in the combustion chamber.

    Methanol has even more latent heat than E85, and even more octane. It also counteracts the effects of heat in the combustion chamber, be it from backpressure, engine compression, IAT, etc.

    Whether you take heat out by letting it flow more freely through the exhaust, remove heat with an intercooler, or remove heat chemically with methanol/E85, water, whatever... it doesn't matter. The energy is conserved, you just have to deal with it. Higher octane deals with it better than lower, so thus you usually make better power on high octane. But, you can also deal with heat in other ways... increasing the VE of the engine, adding an intercooler, spraying water (even without meth), lowering compression, all just ways to decrease heat.

    I hope that helps.
    I fully read this post and like I said, octane is the limiting factor. Since 91 octane simply cannot provide the same knock suppression as say E85 or race gas, it is the limiting factor in power output. Since the latter by what you are stating, generates less heat than 91 octane, it will allow for more ignition advance, also more boost, thus more power. Heck from a tuning standpoint in the case of E85, you can run the car leaner than you would on gasoline for added benefit due to the cooling nature of ethanol, which is magnified tenfold with DI.

    Still not understanding why you feel that comment is misguided.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston under a book
    Posts
    1,404
    Rep Points
    2,677.5
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    I fully read this post and like I said, octane is the limiting factor. Since 91 octane simply cannot provide the same knock suppression as say E85 or race gas, it is the limiting factor in power output. Since the latter by what you are stating, generates less heat than 91 octane, it will allow for more ignition advance, also more boost, thus more power. Heck from a tuning standpoint in the case of E85, you can run the car leaner than you would on gasoline for added benefit due to the cooling nature of ethanol, which is magnified tenfold with DI.

    Still not understanding why you feel that comment is misguided.
    I don't feel it's misguided at all, the direction is right and analysis of the situation is right for a stock car, the car is octane limited in stock form. I said the comment was fundamentally flawed, I don't intend that as an insult so don't read it as such. Cars are octane limited due to many factors, the exhaust flow being one reason. A kit like this stands to change the VE curve of the engine more drastically than dual cone intakes and downpipes, add to that turbos that will generate much less heat for the intercooler to deal with at high flow situations, and add to that a reduction in needed octane as rpm increases assuming adequate flow, and you simply cannot compare it to a stock car anymore. I'm not saying it's not octane limited, I'm simply trying to point out there are other pieces that add up to that limit, and many of those pieces have changed. If the head is restrictive, it may react similar to stock. But if not, the engine may be less octane limited than you think... 400+ wheel on 91 isn't that hard to get, whether it will take heads and cams to get there, or lower cr, who knows, but maybe just the manifold was the biggest restriction. My point was there's more to octane limited than airflow.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    15
    Rep Points
    11.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Breaking tires loose in 3rd is giving us little, hence how this 2 page discussion started. All I did was make a statement that breaking traction can be done on stock turbos and dzenno took offense to it apparently, when it was lighthearted in tone and not directed at anyone in particular
    No offence , if it was lighthearted in tone and not directed to anyone in particular, no one in particular would have taken offence. Just seems logical.

    Now... BACK ON TOPIC!!!! Click here to enlarge

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston under a book
    Posts
    1,404
    Rep Points
    2,677.5
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Harvey_Spector Click here to enlarge
    Now... BACK ON TOPIC!!!! Click here to enlarge
    I think the topic has been beaten to a bloody pulp, sent to the hospital where family members gathered and blamed each other for the accident, beat each other into a bloody mess, so now everyone is in hospital beds and the doctors are making money for the corporations.

    Those same parent corporations that convinced you meth was good.

    Global warming thanks to aquamist.

    I have nothing good to contribute today other than a righteous bump to a dead horse.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    523
    Rep Points
    582.2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Any of you guys used Devilsown Meth kits?
    Looking at one of there kits for my car.
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sparky68 Click here to enlarge
    Any of you guys used Devilsown Meth kits?
    Looking at one of there kits for my car.
    Guys here have used them I believe.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,907
    Rep Points
    2,484.0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25


    Yes Reputation No
    Devils own has cheap plastic fittings. I've had them leak after 1 month. Stick to snow, cooling mist or aquamist
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  18. #118
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,684
    Rep Points
    3,343.8
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Don't settle for any kit that doesn't have a turbine based flow sensor, failsafe, or uses push lock fittings
    Click here to enlarge

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    523
    Rep Points
    582.2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Cheers guys will scrub them off the list then.
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •