Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

How many people here are reliably running upgraded twins and meth with an automatic transmission?

Simply because curiousity killed the cat; who here has rb's, asr's or whatever with an auto tranny? What power are you making with meth? Is the tranny holding together when touching ~500 whp? Any other issues to be aware of??
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

We've tuned maybe 30-40 RB cars running factory automatics. I've heard of a few going out. The alpina flash coupled with flash changes we've made may improve the longevity.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

No proof that the alpina flash will improve longevity but my 6AT is still alive and working perfectly with about 11k miles on RBs. Been FBO meth otherwise

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    No proof that the alpina flash will improve longevity but my 6AT is still alive and working perfectly with about 11k miles on RBs. Been FBO meth otherwise
    faster shifts(up to a point) usually mean less wear no? did on my last auto tranny...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

This is Rb's without Meth I am guessing? How bad is the flatline without the flash?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I've been a single turbo+meth with about 13K+ miles on it with a stock transmission. No real issues with the 6AT. There were some issues at 4-5 pre-6AT flash, it seems like that its mostly resolved. Most of my encounters with 4-5 are a non-issue.

I'm sure an upgraded pump or torque converter could help - but there is no data I'm aware of that proves its.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cupertinosteve Click here to enlarge
    I've been a single turbo+meth with about 13K+ miles on it with a stock transmission. No real issues with the 6AT. There were some issues at 4-5 pre-6AT flash, it seems like that its mostly resolved. Most of my encounters with 4-5 are a non-issue.

I'm sure an upgraded pump or torque converter could help - but there is no data I'm aware of that proves its.
    Welcome to Bimmerboost, you got slips from the drag strip on that ST that you have had for 13k miles? Or you let off in 4th like everyone else does. Click here to enlarge
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    This is Rb's without Meth I am guessing? How bad is the flatline without the flash?
    RB's were on E85 +meth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

RB's were on E85 +meth.
    Right... how did everything run before the flash?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Sheep Click here to enlarge
    Welcome to Bimmerboost, you got slips from the drag strip on that ST that you have had for 13k miles? Or you let off in 4th like everyone else does. Click here to enlarge
    I read his post as saying he has 13k+ miles on the tranny total.

In another post he says he doesn't want to break half/drive shafts.

I think he needs to talk to @rick@defiv and pick up a differential lockdown kit and let that sum$#@! rip.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@black_sheep - Thanks for the welcome! I do not have slips of my 1/4 mile with my single turbo, because I haven't taken this car there. Click here to enlarge

I do have a stack of slips (hundreds) of my other 335i FBO+meth, but that car is long gone and not super interesting any more. I can post if you like, but there should be one on dragtimes already.

I am hesitant to run the 1/4 mile because I think i'll break something (i'm not the luckiest kind of guy out there). The 1/4 mile launches are pretty hard on the car and i have stock half-shafts and stock driveshafts. Also having no cage will get me kicked off the track at anything in the really low 11s. So everything would have to be perfect for me to get a great run, which is really hard to do unless I have enough data to dial things in on one shot. I'm hoping for a private drag event in CA. If there is one, i'll try to make that.

@nafoo - My single turbo 335 has a total of 38K-39K miles on it. My other FBO+meth stock turbo 335i had just under 60K miles on it ... it also had no issues with its transmission (and it had over a hundred 1/4 mile runs on it).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

What flash? Cobb?

Alpina software wasn't available when I ran RB's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

What flash? Cobb?

Alpina software wasn't available when I ran RB's.
    why ru back on stockers?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

@black_sheep - Thanks for the welcome! I do not have slips of my 1/4 mile with my single turbo, because I haven't taken this car there. Click here to enlarge

I do have a stack of slips (hundreds) of my other 335i FBO+meth, but that car is long gone and not super interesting any more. I can post if you like, but there should be one on dragtimes already.

I am hesitant to run the 1/4 mile because I think i'll break something (i'm not the luckiest kind of guy out there). The 1/4 mile launches are pretty hard on the car and i have stock half-shafts and stock driveshafts. Also having no cage will get me kicked off the track at anything in the really low 11s. So everything would have to be perfect for me to get a great run, which is really hard to do unless I have enough data to dial things in on one shot. I'm hoping for a private drag event in CA. If there is one, i'll try to make that.

@nafoo - My single turbo 335 has a total of 38K-39K miles on it. My other FBO+meth stock turbo 335i had just under 60K miles on it ... it also had no issues with its transmission (and it had over a hundred 1/4 mile runs on it).
    sign up for shift s3ctor, would love to see some vids of your car against the competition, still slots available for sunday

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stock turbos, full bolt on with meth that dyno'd at 417rwhp. No problems thus far. Hasn't been horribly long though . . . maybe 6 months.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

why ru back on stockers?
    He posted a picture of his turbo seals leaking in ChuckD05's Need some insight on smoking thread. So one can assume thats why, but it would be nice to get the details from themyst.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

@litz4244, IIRC he has an E90 6AT PROcede, Meth & RBs (last I checked he was parting it out)
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    why ru back on stockers?
    Quite simply I don't have the time to be ripping turbos out of my car every time they go bad. I built my stock turbos for 200 bucks with near new center sections and never looked back. While Rb's were extremely fun and it was a blast running with F10s and E63 biturbos out in Mexico, I cant keep dropping 250 on parts and a day doing turbos every time they go out. I feel sorry for anyone who has to pay for all this work. Rob Beck is a class act though and supported me until the end. If my stockers take a $#@!, im gonna get a ctsv and whipple that biatch Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quite simply I don't have the time to be ripping turbos out of my car every time they go bad. I built my stock turbos for 200 bucks with near new center sections and never looked back. While Rb's were extremely fun and it was a blast running with F10s and E63 biturbos out in Mexico, I cant keep dropping 250 on parts and a day doing turbos every time they go out. I feel sorry for anyone who has to pay for all this work. Rob Beck is a class act though and supported me until the end. If my stockers take a $#@!, im gonna get a ctsv and whipple that biatch Click here to enlarge
    That's what sways me away from these hybrids, they're meant for aggressive tuning yet have reliability issues. And running them conservatively defeats the whole purpose of getting them in the first place.
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Click here to enlarge
    sign up for shift s3ctor, would love to see some vids of your car against the competition, still slots available for sunday
    I saw his name on the list along with sikh. Shiv are you coming this year also? Can't wait to see you and Drew battle it out for the king of the E90s.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

LOL the only thing that never broke down in my car are the TD stage 2 turbos .
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

If my stockers take a $#@!, im gonna get a ctsv and whipple that biatch Click here to enlarge
    Another N54 -> LSA convert..... IT is really hard to ignore the LSA performance though, especially for how much less it costs to mod heavily (also helps the LS motors are nearly bulletproof)
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Another N54 -> LSA convert..... IT is really hard to ignore the LSA performance though, especially for how much less it costs to mod heavily (also helps the LS motors are nearly bulletproof)
    add me for the c6 Z06 lineup if this thing goes...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I haven't had any problems. But I don't really drive the car that much except at the track. I am guessing the more u drive the car hard the more likely the trans will fail. I always fiigured it was just a matter of time until it failed.
    07 e92 335i 6spd FBO for now

03 z06. 402 with a YSI. 910whp 756wtq at 15psi 93 and meth. Current

2007 e90 335 6at Rb turbos, Fbo, meth 11.7 at 124mph 17psi 93 and meth. Sold

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by litz4244 Click here to enlarge
    I haven't had any problems. But I don't really drive the car that much except at the track. I am guessing the more u drive the car hard the more likely the trans will fail. I always fiigured it was just a matter of time until it failed.
    That goes for any car. The harder you drive it, the more often you'll be fixing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast