Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    @steve,

Invest in a tranny cooler... will increase the lifetime of the box by keeping the oils within acceptable temps.
    I have measured that the RB's already push the temps up quite a bit in the AT. ST will do even better on that. You will burn you clutches eventuelly but managing the temps will absolutly extend your AT lifetime and costs.

Great numbers!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cupertinosteve Click here to enlarge
    @themyst - Hmmm ... interesting. I don't know if there are limits in the 1/8 mile numbers like there is in the 1/4 mile. I still have a lingering fear that i'll break something at the launch and i'm not really interested in buying a set of DSS half-shafts or a transmission if something lets loose. Click here to enlarge

@E90SoFlo - Yes you can ... but you need to launch the car properly to get a good time. The launch is where you will break something ... and I don't believe there is such a thing as a "rolling 1/4 mile". Click here to enlarge
    Strongly disagree you'd break a halfshaft on a 6AT, considering you make less torque down low than say a set of RB'S. your powerband is much higher up than anyone running a twin setup

Tranny is another story, but pay to play! Plus used trannys aren't that expensive. Probably similar to a clutch job based on 6at tranny prices used.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pretty amicable post. Surprised!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Getting used parts for a good price is not the problem. But my shop can't program the TCU. And dealers won't put in used parts...

But with a bit of luck forum member @DavidV can help me out Click here to enlarge I just NEED this on the racetrack.
    I guess I was assuming you'd do the tcu yourself but that makes sense. This is why I was wondering what the interest was for cobb or someone to offer a programmer for tcu. The more we talk about such thing hopefully the more likely it is the right people will notice and take up the cause to offer such a product. Flashing bootlegged, unsupported software on a $50k car is what it sounds like to me. I'd pay to have am easy/sure thing, but that's just me.

Good luck to you on getting the upgrade done!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @RTA - I think i'll do that ... any tranny cooler that you can recommend?

@themyst - Yeah, i find it weird ... for $1000 here's a new clutch or here's a whole automatic transmission. Click here to enlarge Regarding the launch shock of a 6AT, it is probably less than a 6MT, but it still a lot ... last time i checked, i was able to brake boost somewhere between 10-12 PSI before my front wheels started to slip. That is still a lot of power to let loose all of a sudden. Having seen other cars break half-shafts with less power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Pretty amicable post. Surprised!
    I'm not surprised ... I find that most people are pretty amiable. I haven't attacked anyone and no has attacked me. Click here to enlarge

I think most of us like tweaking stuff and going fast ... agreed?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I'm not surprised ... I find that most people are pretty amiable. I haven't attacked anyone and no has attacked me. Click here to enlarge

I think most of us like tweaking stuff and going fast ... agreed?
    The forum just likes to see data. Nothing's been hidden here, just a guy running a train with data to back it up.

Keep the kids safe Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @RTA - I think i'll do that ... any tranny cooler that you can recommend?

@themyst - Yeah, i find it weird ... for $1000 here's a new clutch or here's a whole automatic transmission. Click here to enlarge Regarding the launch shock of a 6AT, it is probably less than a 6MT, but it still a lot ... last time i checked, i was able to brake boost somewhere between 10-12 PSI before my front wheels started to slip. That is still a lot of power to let loose all of a sudden. Having seen other cars break half-shafts with less power.
    Hp doesnt break transmissions torque does. Click here to enlarge stock turbo cars can hit high 400s and I haven't seen one 6at snap a halfshaft yet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trufus Click here to enlarge
    The forum just likes to see data. Nothing's been hidden here, just a guy running a train with data to back it up.

Keep the kids safe Click here to enlarge
    Cant argue a car doing 6s in the 60-130 with data to back it up. Thats some serious power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hi Y'all,

I apologize ... i'm not on this site more often, but I was told to take a look and try to answer some of the questions.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

I'll try to answer the questions in chronological order:

amclint - I wouldn't necessarily say it helped that much. I'm only one data point and I don't have a baseline 60-130 run with just the 6AT flash as the only change. I would say the 6AT flash is much more pleasurable during day-to-day driving. It's shift "eagerness" and settings are more inline with my style of driving.

bigdnno98 - I think we all know who to thank for the 6AT reflash ... cn555ic and wedge1967. I do not want to take anything away from these guys. Their work has benefited all 6AT owners independent of modifications or "camp".

dzenno - the portion that vishnu was working on was not related to the 6AT reflash. It had more to do with tweaking a few things in the various settings for my car. I was not as fast with feedback and testing, so it dragged out for a lot longer (mainly due to my work schedule).

q4p - I only have 1 shift, so the help would be limited. Also the reflash didn't change the shift point when you run it up top. It still shifts at 6800. I would give some credit to the 6AT reflash, but the majority of the credit goes to modifications and tuning that is inline with it. It would be interesting to see if the numbers change much for those who can test pre-flash 60-130 runs and the immediately flash and then repeat the 60-130 runs. That would be the best/most_accurate way to see the contribution of the 6AT reflash, otherwise it'll just be a guessing game. From your other question - it is definitely repeatable. I have a bunch of runs that were less than .3 seconds of each other ... the thing to remember is traction plays a huge role in the numbers. If you can get consistent traction, you'll have consistent 60-130s. If you hit a bump in the road at different speeds or angles, it can induce a little wheelspin and that will screw with your acceleration/end_times.

oddjob2021 - i believe you are correct.

turkeybaster115 - Yes, I can shift 4-5. I did a bunch of runs last night and didn't have an issue. I was able to induce a 4-5 shift burp this morning, but it may have been traction induced - meaning i lost traction and the wheel spun and then that wheelspin blocked me from getting into 5th. There appears to be a bunch of "intelligence" in our TCU which can work against us at times. Regarding your question on using Drag Radials - it has to do with the ability to keep traction, without it, you cannot get decent times. I'm sure others who've tested 60-130 as FBO or upgraded turbos can attest - traction is a problem for most/all of us. A little wheelspin and that run is done.

terry - thanks! much appreciated thumbs up. You should definitely re-test your car. You probably have data prior to the 6AT reflash, it would be good to see what the reflash alone can help with. See ya at Shift-S3ctor!

cn555ic - i didn't have to heat up my drag radials. The occasional wheelspin in 3rd gear did that for me. Click here to enlarge

I know folks will most likely ask me about 1/4 mile times. I'll be honest, I'm a little afraid I'll break something. The 60-130 runs while hard in some areas, it is not as "shock-inducing" as a launch. I don't have upgraded halfshafts or driveshafts ... I don't feel like spending money on them.

I'm not interested in putting a cage in my car either - and if you're at the track and you only get one run before being kicked off. Its too hard to do it in one shot. Unless there is a private track event, i think i'll need some time to dial in things (tire pressures and such).

Thanks for reading my super long response ... see a few of y'all at Shift-S3ctor.

Take care and be safe! Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for clearing stuff up shiv!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    I guess I was assuming you'd do the tcu yourself but that makes sense. This is why I was wondering what the interest was for cobb or someone to offer a programmer for tcu. The more we talk about such thing hopefully the more likely it is the right people will notice and take up the cause to offer such a product. Flashing bootlegged, unsupported software on a $50k car is what it sounds like to me. I'd pay to have am easy/sure thing, but that's just me. Good luck to you on getting the upgrade done!
    This will get you loads of hate, and negative rep points. Trust me, I know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@Turkeybaster115 -- Just to clarify ... i'm not Shiv. I'm not sure what you mean by this, so i'll assume nothing and that it was just a mistake.

@trufus - agreed! I think outside of the tuners, there is not a large percentage of the forum population doing much testing on their own. It seems to be the same handful of people trying to figure things out.

@themyst - thanks! I'll press my luck after I see if Uncle Sam is generous or not this year.
    Last edited by cupertinosteve; 03-08-2013 at 01:43 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @themyst - thanks! I'll press my luck after I see if Uncle Sam is generous or not this year.
    Hah...I wouldn't hold your brief on that for next few years.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Hah...I wouldn't hold your brief on that for next few years.
    Uncle Sam definitely isnt nice to my paychecks this year, thats for damn sure

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    If uncle sam was my uncle I'd file charges of theft and disown him.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Congrats! And good luck keeping your tranny alive Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm glad shiv finally came out of hiding when someone else fixed his 6AT issues. Great runs Steve!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    unfortunately there is more info coming out of the woodwork... yes the car is fast but it still has caveats all around... it turns out this was running 102 race gas w 100% meth, on mt tires and a missing passenger seat... jeez, can we just see a pump 93 w meth run w everything in the car on normal tires... i thought this was a true DD shiv? remember I didnt say that, u did. I am not hating at all because the times are fast but lets be realistic about this.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    unfortunately there is more info coming out of the woodwork... yes the car is fast but it still has caveats all around... it turns out this was running 102 race gas w 100% meth, on mt tires and a missing passenger seat... jeez, can we just see a pump 93 w meth run w everything in the car on normal tires... i thought this was a true DD shiv? remember I didnt say that, u did. I am not hating at all because the times are fast but lets be realistic about this.
    Who cares? Do you srlsly think ANY car in the top 60-30 or 1/4mile rankings is still stock weight or runs on stock tires or pump fuel? It's about braking records, not winning a beauty contest.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Who cares? Do you srlsly think ANY car in the top 60-30 or 1/4mile rankings is still stock weight or runs on stock tires or pump fuel? It's about braking records, not winning a beauty contest.
    you're absolutely right... most people dd the way this car is setup... for a race setup its great but no one and i mean no one will be driving their car this way... its the same problem w shivs car, it was setup as an all out car as well... like i said great times but as always w caveats... i am staying out, that was the last comment
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

2 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    My take exactly. Did you hear he also modified his intake, replaced his exhaust and, gasp, changed his turbos to set this record too!? The horror!

It's a modified car - who cares what he did to get the record, it's damn impressive. Sometimes I feel like people can't see the forest for the trees. The N54 platform is advancing - this is a *good* thing. Let's stop the bashing just for once and get excited about the progress that is being made whether it's by Shiv, Tony, Rob, Terry, who cares?

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    you're absolutely right... most people dd the way this car is setup... for a race setup its great but no one and i mean no one will be driving their car this way... its the same problem w shivs car, it was setup as an all out car as well... like i said great times but as always w caveats... i am staying out, that was the last comment
    In the end, it just depends what you want.

At some point, you inevitably hit a wall in stock form. Be it at the drag strip or the race track. If you ever get to a road course, you'll notice that barely any car there will be stock. Be it weight reduction, BBK, tires, cooling, rollcages, suspension etc...

No offense, but I doubt anyone expects these absolute records are set with a stock car.

From the factory, the 335i is a fat wiggly pig. Put it on a diet, work out the muscles, stretch the legs and you're in for a joyride! Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just to be on the up and up ... I'm a daily driver without the passenger seat for the past 4 months. It's not going back in ... to handy for the kids to get in and out of. My other car is a minivan, that thing is for our family trip (when I add the infant and the wife).

I was going for the record in the 60-130, so I'm going to stack as much as I can in my favor. I did not have a lightweight battery, lighter trunk or hood or replaced the drivers seat - though I may in the future (i've almost hit people in the crosswalk on three occasions due to the rear view mirror being nearly at nose level).

I'll keep slugging out at the 60-130 ... being faster than everyone is the goal, albeit and expensive goal. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just to be on the up and up ... I'm a daily driver without the passenger seat for the past 4 months. It's not going back in ... to handy for the kids to get in and out of.
    +1.

I've had the 135 pass seat out a long time. I drop off my 6 year old curbside and it was a headache to get out of the car and let him out. Now I can unbuckle him and open the passenger door easily from my drivers seat. You can code off the seat removal lights in dash. A local sharp coder added the alpina race seat option or something similar for it and it made the seat delete much more palatable to me.

For 60-130 I think a 21# braile battery is a good idea. I put one in awhile ago and its been fine. Previously I had the mini-cooper battery which has double the amp hours and only weighs 35#, so consider that as well. Keep in mind though for drag racing with your power levels, weight off the back just makes traction problems that much worse. I personally have not gotten on board with the trunk and hood stuff. Not sure the weight savings are worth the money involved. The race seat is a cool idea if you are in to road racing but I find them a bit hard to get in and out of. So I'll be staying with the factory comfortable non-sport seat I have now. Click here to enlarge

Anyway I came in at ~3250# at the scales sans driver. A 335 with a bit more aggressive weight reduction (but also factory battery and body parts) came in at ~3300#. So a more aggressive weight reduction might get you down to ~3200#.

PS. I thought you took yours to the strip once? Or was that skinrock?
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 03-08-2013 at 12:51 PM.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    +1.

I've had the 135 pass seat out a long time. I drop off my 6 year old curbside and it was a headache to get out of the car and let him out. Now I can unbuckle him and open the passenger door easily from my drivers seat. You can code off the seat removal lights in dash. A local sharp coder added the alpina race seat option or something similar for it and it made the seat delete much more palatable to me.

For 60-130 I think a 21# braile battery is a good idea. I put one in awhile ago and its been fine. Previously I had the mini-cooper battery which has double the amp hours and only weighs 35#, so consider that as well. Keep in mind though for drag racing with your power levels, weight off the back just makes traction problems that much worse. I personally have not gotten on board with the trunk and hood stuff. Not sure the weight savings are worth the money involved. The race seat is a cool idea if you are in to road racing but I find them a bit hard to get in and out of. So I'll be staying with the factory comfortable non-sport seat I have now. Click here to enlarge

Anyway I came in at ~3250# at the scales sans driver. A 335 with a bit more aggressive weight reduction (but also factory battery and body parts) came in at ~3300#. So a more aggressive weight reduction might get you down to ~3200#.

PS. I thought you took yours to the strip once? Or was that skinrock?
    Yeah, I could have sworn he went several months back and ran 11.5 or somewhere around that but didnt post the actual slip. Either way Steve your car is fast! Thanks for coming over and posting your 60-130.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast