Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 82
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    The biggest problem with automatics is that on normal 25.5" tires the car shifts from 4->5 @ 128-129mph. Which basically craps your 60-130 time. So the tires are probably in part for gearing. I've been considering throwing on my slightly taller hoosier tires to see if that lets it get up to 130mph before the shift. But have been too busy / lazy to do so... Click here to enlarge

    net/net it's a details game. A single turbo geared to do 130-131mph at the top of 4th is well positioned to dominate 60-130 times as they only need one shift and spend the entire time in their otherwise narrow power band. With say RBs you either need 2 shifts (which costs a few ths) or taller tires to ride out 4th, but in doing so are outside your power band.
    Been saying this for a while now, the fastest 60-130 on 25.03 diameter rears is to short shift the 4-5. Can cost you upwards of 0.5 seconds if you let the trans shift at redline.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    886
    Rep Points
    1,445.5
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    The biggest problem with automatics is that on normal 25.5" tires the car shifts from 4->5 @ 128-129mph. Which basically craps your 60-130 time. So the tires are probably in part for gearing. I've been considering throwing on my slightly taller hoosier tires to see if that lets it get up to 130mph before the shift. But have been too busy / lazy to do so... Click here to enlarge

    net/net it's a details game. A single turbo geared to do 130-131mph at the top of 4th is well positioned to dominate 60-130 times as they only need o ne shift and spend the entire time in their otherwise narrow power band. With say RBs you either need 2 shifts (which costs a few ths) or taller tires to ride out 4th, but in doing so are outside your power band.
    I wonder if the alpina flash shifting at 6800 rpm will be worth an extra mph or two in fourth vs. Stock tcu flash?

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    I wonder if the alpina flash shifting at 6800 rpm will be worth an extra mph or two in fourth vs. Stock tcu flash?
    The stock TCU software upshifts at 6800 by itself. The alpina software is no different

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    6500ft ASL
    Posts
    1,117
    Rep Points
    2,239.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Good numbers. "Quietly" working on the 6AT ST LOL Alpina TCU Flash ftmfw! Click here to enlarge
    Dzenno - do you ever see Cobb rolling in the TCU update (not Alpina's code, but coding that gives similar results)?

    -Rich

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    886
    Rep Points
    1,445.5
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    The stock TCU software upshifts at 6800 by itself. The alpina software is no different
    I wasn't sure what the stock tcu shifted at, but know I've read people mentioning the alpina flash shifting at 6800. Oh well...

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,267
    Rep Points
    32,709.2
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    That sure is fast... respect.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,962
    Rep Points
    2,657.4
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    good stuff. It only makes sense that it went that fast....


    @dzenno
    what is going on with your car? You get the driveshaft yet? Why not test your car with the higher power? Are you doing some "on the low" testing? I really wanted to see how she diid the the super tune
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

  8. #33
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    860
    Rep Points
    1,537.7
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Cast spell:

    *trannyswapforthealpinatcuflashFTMFW*

    Goddamnit lol. This is killing me! Pre-03/07 FML.
    I hear ya. We should form the Trannies Anonymous club for all of the pre-03/07 guys.

    Oh, wait...

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,213
    Rep Points
    9,337.8
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    94


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    I wonder if the alpina flash shifting at 6800 rpm will be worth an extra mph or two in fourth vs. Stock tcu flash?
    The shift point is the same AFAIK but can't hurt to try it. I have a tank full of 91 octane so I'll have to burn some of that off before testing the car.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    www.bootmod3.com
    Posts
    6,693
    Rep Points
    3,352.2
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    Dzenno - do you ever see Cobb rolling in the TCU update (not Alpina's code, but coding that gives similar results)?

    -Rich
    I don't know of any current work being done on the TCU.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    good stuff. It only makes sense that it went that fast....

    @dzen no
    what is going on with your car? You get the driveshaft yet? Why not test your car with the higher power? Are you doing some "on the low" testing? I really wanted to see how she diid the the super tune
    I had a stock driveshaft put on my car and back to a 3.08 after my original setup got damaged. Not sure what you mean "test with the higher power". I'm in Canada and tracks are closed. I was testing some prototype turbos for Vargas after and they're back with him for some new tweaks. Had I not broken my driveshaft back then you would've seen results outside the dynos already posted. I also had a 2.56 rear end which hurts acceleration compared to my previous 3.08 so 60-130s would've been skewed. Part of the reason why 3.46 gearing helps when it comes to purely acceleration type results compared to other taller gear setups. At this time though I'm still sticking with a 3.08. Don't think I've ever held back on updates and I'll definitely share as soon as there's something worth sharing though trust me Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    389
    Rep Points
    2.0
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    3 out of 6 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The title of Shivs flameboy thread on E90 should read: Here are some new ST 6AT 60-130 times, with Mickey Thompsons. Click here to enlarge

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    6500ft ASL
    Posts
    1,117
    Rep Points
    2,239.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    I don't know of any current work being done on the TCU.
    Thanks for the reply.

    -Rich

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Points
    74.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    10 out of 10 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hi Y'all,

    I apologize ... i'm not on this site more often, but I was told to take a look and try to answer some of the questions.

    Thanks for all the well wishes!

    I'll try to answer the questions in chronological order:

    amclint - I wouldn't necessarily say it helped that much. I'm only one data point and I don't have a baseline 60-130 run with just the 6AT flash as the only change. I would say the 6AT flash is much more pleasurable during day-to-day driving. It's shift "eagerness" and settings are more inline with my style of driving.

    bigdnno98 - I think we all know who to thank for the 6AT reflash ... cn555ic and wedge1967. I do not want to take anything away from these guys. Their work has benefited all 6AT owners independent of modifications or "camp".

    dzenno - the portion that vishnu was working on was not related to the 6AT reflash. It had more to do with tweaking a few things in the various settings for my car. I was not as fast with feedback and testing, so it dragged out for a lot longer (mainly due to my work schedule).

    q4p - I only have 1 shift, so the help would be limited. Also the reflash didn't change the shift point when you run it up top. It still shifts at 6800. I would give some credit to the 6AT reflash, but the majority of the credit goes to modifications and tuning that is inline with it. It would be interesting to see if the numbers change much for those who can test pre-flash 60-130 runs and the immediately flash and then repeat the 60-130 runs. That would be the best/most_accurate way to see the contribution of the 6AT reflash, otherwise it'll just be a guessing game. From your other question - it is definitely repeatable. I have a bunch of runs that were less than .3 seconds of each other ... the thing to remember is traction plays a huge role in the numbers. If you can get consistent traction, you'll have consistent 60-130s. If you hit a bump in the road at different speeds or angles, it can induce a little wheelspin and that will screw with your acceleration/end_times.

    oddjob2021 - i believe you are correct.

    turkeybaster115 - Yes, I can shift 4-5. I did a bunch of runs last night and didn't have an issue. I was able to induce a 4-5 shift burp this morning, but it may have been traction induced - meaning i lost traction and the wheel spun and then that wheelspin blocked me from getting into 5th. There appears to be a bunch of "intelligence" in our TCU which can work against us at times. Regarding your question on using Drag Radials - it has to do with the ability to keep traction, without it, you cannot get decent times. I'm sure others who've tested 60-130 as FBO or upgraded turbos can attest - traction is a problem for most/all of us. A little wheelspin and that run is done.

    terry - thanks! much appreciated thumbs up. You should definitely re-test your car. You probably have data prior to the 6AT reflash, it would be good to see what the reflash alone can help with. See ya at Shift-S3ctor!

    cn555ic - i didn't have to heat up my drag radials. The occasional wheelspin in 3rd gear did that for me. Click here to enlarge

    I know folks will most likely ask me about 1/4 mile times. I'll be honest, I'm a little afraid I'll break something. The 60-130 runs while hard in some areas, it is not as "shock-inducing" as a launch. I don't have upgraded halfshafts or driveshafts ... I don't feel like spending money on them.

    I'm not interested in putting a cage in my car either - and if you're at the track and you only get one run before being kicked off. Its too hard to do it in one shot. Unless there is a private track event, i think i'll need some time to dial in things (tire pressures and such).

    Thanks for reading my super long response ... see a few of y'all at Shift-S3ctor.

    Take care and be safe! Click here to enlarge

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,942
    Rep Points
    2,537.3
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    26


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Really great numbers OP. I'm sure you're estatic that it's finally running well after all that money spent. Enjoy! can't wait to see some 1/4mi times. I'd love to see another 10sec slip other than Shiv's.
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cupertinosteve Click here to enlarge
    Hi Y'all,

    I apologize ... i'm not on this site more often, but I was told to take a look and try to answer some of the questions.

    Thanks for all the well wishes!

    I'll try to answer the questions in chronological order:

    amclint - I wouldn't necessarily say it helped that much. I'm only one data point and I don't have a baseline 60-130 run with just the 6AT flash as the only change. I would say the 6AT flash is much more pleasurable during day-to-day driving. It's shift "eagerness" and settings are more inline with my style of driving.

    bigdnno98 - I think we all know who to thank for the 6AT reflash ... cn555ic and wedge1967. I do not want to take anything away from these guys. Their work has benefited all 6AT owners independent of modifications or "camp".

    dzenno - the portion that vishnu was working on was not related to the 6AT reflash. It had more to do with tweaking a few things in the various settings for my car. I was not as fast with feedback and testing, so it dragged out for a lot longer (mainly due to my work schedule).

    q4p - I only have 1 shift, so the help would be limited. Also the reflash didn't change the shift point when you run it up top. It still shifts at 6800. I would give some credit to the 6AT reflash, but the majority of the credit goes to modifications and tuning that is inline with it. It would be interesting to see if the numbers change much for those who can test pre-flash 60-130 runs and the immediately flash and then repeat the 60-130 runs. That would be the best/most_accurate way to see the contribution of the 6AT reflash, otherwise it'll just be a guessing game. From your other question - it is definitely repeatable. I have a bunch of runs that were less than .3 seconds of each other ... the thing to remember is traction plays a huge role in the numbers. If you can get consistent traction, you'll have consistent 60-130s. If you hit a bump in the road at different speeds or angles, it can induce a little wheelspin and that will screw with your acceleration/end_times.

    oddjob2021 - i believe you are correct.

    turkeybaster115 - Yes, I can shift 4-5. I did a bunch of runs last night and didn't have an issue. I was able to induce a 4-5 shift burp this morning, but it may have been traction induced - meaning i lost traction and the wheel spun and then that wheelspin blocked me from getting into 5th. There appears to be a bunch of "intelligence" in our TCU which can work against us at times. Regarding your question on using Drag Radials - it has to do with the ability to keep traction, without it, you cannot get decent times. I'm sure others who've tested 60-130 as FBO or upgraded turbos can attest - traction is a problem for most/all of us. A little wheelspin and that run is done.

    terry - thanks! much appreciated thumbs up. You should definitely re-test your car. You probably have data prior to the 6AT reflash, it would be good to see what the reflash alone can help with. See ya at Shift-S3ctor!

    cn555ic - i didn't have to heat up my drag radials. The occasional wheelspin in 3rd gear did that for me. Click here to enlarge

    I know folks will most likely ask me about 1/4 mile times. I'll be honest, I'm a little afraid I'll break something. The 60-130 runs while hard in some areas, it is not as "shock-inducing" as a launch. I don't have upgraded halfshafts or driveshafts ... I don't feel like spending money on them.

    I'm not interested in putting a cage in my car either - and if you're at the track and you only get one run before being kicked off. Its too hard to do it in one shot. Unless there is a private track event, i think i'll need some time to dial in things (tire pressures and such).

    Thanks for reading my super long response ... see a few of y'all at Shift-S3ctor.

    Take care and be safe! Click here to enlarge
    We can deduce the power you're making in the 1/8 mile take it to the strip and let er rip!

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    2,086
    Rep Points
    2,209.2
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    Yes Reputation No
    You can do 1/4 mile times on your Vbox cant you?




  17. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Points
    74.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    @themyst - Hmmm ... interesting. I don't know if there are limits in the 1/8 mile numbers like there is in the 1/4 mile. I still have a lingering fear that i'll break something at the launch and i'm not really interested in buying a set of DSS half-shafts or a transmission if something lets loose. Click here to enlarge

    @E90SoFlo - Yes you can ... but you need to launch the car properly to get a good time. The launch is where you will break something ... and I don't believe there is such a thing as a "rolling 1/4 mile". Click here to enlarge

  18. #43
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,640
    Rep Points
    2,195.0
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cupertinosteve Click here to enlarge
    @themyst - Hmmm ... interesting. I don't know if there are limits in the 1/8 mile numbers like there is in the 1/4 mile. I still have a lingering fear that i'll break something at the launch and i'm not really interested in buying a set of DSS half-shafts or a transmission if something lets loose. Click here to enlarge

    @E90SoFlo - Yes you can ... but you need to launch the car properly to get a good time. The launch is where you will break something ... and I don't believe there is such a thing as a "rolling 1/4 mile". Click here to enlarge


    http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...highlight=lock

    http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...highlight=lock
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

    2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The world...
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Points
    1,202.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    hmmm. that looks good but the video appears to have a car with an LSD installed? Is that mandatory or just better?
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

    N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

  20. #45
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,640
    Rep Points
    2,195.0
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    hmmm. that looks good but the video appears to have a car with an LSD installed? Is that mandatory or just better?
    It's better to have a LSD for traction concerns, but I'm pretty sure this kit will stop wheel hop even if you're on your stock differential. Correct me if I'm wrong, @rick@defiv @dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks (Poor @dzen, keeps getting wrongfully mentioned)
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

    2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The world...
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Points
    1,202.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    alright dude, I am not trying to hate... but why is the dash still a christmas tree?
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

    N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    642
    Rep Points
    97.0
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    alright dude, I am not trying to hate... but why is the dash still a christmas tree?
    Passenger seat out so airbag light on
    Race wheels/tires in the back so tire pressure light on
    Turn signals come on when meth flow reaches meth flow target
    Traction control disabled so DTC off light on.

    Pretty standard for most any race prepped 335i.

    Steve's car is quick. Catching up quickly to the our single turbo 6MT customer cars. But without ever needing to take both hands off the steering wheel. Just put the foot down and let the trans do the rest. Don't even use the paddles since there is no need to short shift.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The world...
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Points
    1,202.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    Passenger seat out so airbag light on
    Race wheels/tires in the back so tire pressure light on
    Turn signals come on when meth flow reaches meth flow target
    Traction control disabled so DTC off light on.

    Pretty standard for most any race prepped 335i.

    Steve's car is quick. Catching up quickly to the our single turbo 6MT customer cars. But without ever needing to take both hands off the steering wheel. Just put the foot down and let the trans do the rest. Kinda funny.
    Well I am at least glad to see that things are finally moving in the right direction...


    still a few odd minor caveats in there like MT tires and seat out but either way... the car is fast very fast...
    Last edited by Q4P; 03-07-2013 at 08:23 PM.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

    N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Points
    74.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    shiv beat me to the reply.

    oddly enough, i like it when all the lights are on ... make me feel like i'm doing something ... instead of blindly mashing the gas pedal. Click here to enlarge

    I left the passenger seat out since the last Shift-S3ctor ... i found it easier to get the kids in during the rainy season. I don't have to stand out there as long as they tried to figure out who gets to sit behind dad.

    Regarding the MT ET tires ... occasionally they are my street tires. Click here to enlarge

    Most of time i've been on PSS but they are 255x45x18s ... traction isn't great, but lots of fun on the onramps.
    Last edited by cupertinosteve; 03-07-2013 at 08:27 PM.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,426
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    thats good numbers. glad something is finally coming around. do we have the graphs yet and have they been 3rd party verified?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •