Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    No worries. Glad people found those manuals helpful.

I haven't noticed any unfavorable exhaust noise with my catalyst free downpipes, but of course its completely subjective. I have the stock E90 exhaust.
    I have BMW PE. Stock exhaust you should be fine.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It was cold this morning; I had frost on my windshield. I also noticed no smoking at all, and my oil temp was about 215 įF after my 40 minutes mixed highway and city drive to work. Ambient temp was approximately 38 įF upon arrival. This is with no engine cover.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you just pull off the engine cover or did you remove the cowl or rubber seal at the back of the cowl? I recall someone saying they did that and dropped underhood temps quite a bit (but then got a bit more heat into the cabin via vents IIRC).

Is your theory that whatever cyclonic separator magic is happening, it works better when the valvecover is cooler?

What about the oil quality? Oil's vaporization temp supposedly drops dramatically after only maybe 1k mi according to some reports on bobistheoilguy.com. Have you thought about testing after an oil change?

Just some thoughts. Keep up the good work!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Did you just pull off the engine cover or did you remove the cowl or rubber seal at the back of the cowl? I recall someone saying they did that and dropped underhood temps quite a bit (but then got a bit more heat into the cabin via vents IIRC).
    Engine cover is removed, cowl is in place.

Is your theory that whatever cyclonic separator magic is happening, it works better when the valvecover is cooler?
    Yes. The separators work best with the oil condenses out from the gasses. High temperatures can prohibit this because the difference in density from the oil and the gases is not as great, especially if the oil is still in vapor form. It's not magic, its science (centrifugal force).

What about the oil quality? Oil's vaporization temp supposedly drops dramatically after only maybe 1k mi according to some reports on bobistheoilguy.com. Have you thought about testing after an oil change?
    I'm using Rotella T6. Supposed to be pretty good with high temperature/high shear environments like turbo engines. Yes I know it is not LL-01. I've used BMW High Performance and Mobil 1 Euro and have had analysis done on both. I have yet to do an analysis on the Rotella because I haven't changed the oil yet with it in there. I have not noticed significant fuel dilution or shear with other oils and my driving style.

Regardless of the oil I or others use, the take away here is that it smokes more when it is hot, and removing the engine cover seems to help. It would be useful information if others with smoking problems can list the oil they were using at the time, and if switching brands had any effect on the smoking problem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123