Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,956
    Rep Points
    2,642.8
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Need some insight on smoking issue

    My car has been being a little freaky lately.

    Here is some history... Slowly my car first startingsmoking, didnít notice a diff between decel and accel but it gradually wentfrom a little smoke to way way too much to be comfortable driving... At the point where I first changed the PCV idloose a qt every 400 miles!

    Thought it was my turbos but eventually realized it was moreon Deceleration than Acceleration. Iremembered I had a pcv from my 135 and I swapped it. Right away smoke was gone and stayed gone for400 miles than slowly came back and than back to the point where it was crazyagain.

    Attempt 2, I put in RB PCV... again right away smoke gone, Iam happy as can be. I think the old pcvwas just going bad and im good... now this time it took 3 weeks and 1000+ milesbut now the car is again smoking... and gradually getting worse and worse... ondecel and acel but way more on Decel... When I say smoking I mean when I look in rear view at night it itsCLEARY evident I am spewing oil out my car accompanied with a nasty smell...

    My buddy as BMW is being less and less cool about helping meout so this one is on me... I amassuming the next step is change valve cover? But I am not sure that will fix anything but at 40k it really may not bea bad idea anyway... Plugs look finewhen I check them, car still runs strong as sh;t , I donít really think thiscan be my turbos because it 100% gets better at the initial switch of myPCV....

    I also changed the check valve next to the PCV to a new onethe first time I swapped the PCV...

    What can be causing my PCV to go bad so quickly? Today I am going to pull the rb valve and tryto inspect and clean it... and see if it gets better...

    BMW friend (good friend) seems to have NO idea what this is, lol.... Any insight would beappreciated. Thanks
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The world...
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Points
    1,202.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Reputation: Yes | No
    smoking aside because my car smokes as well as you speak and I've had all of those items replaced... your not still losing that much oil, are you?
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

    N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    2,081
    Rep Points
    2,121.7
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I also have had white smoke coming from the engine bay a few times, but Im 99.99% sure I have a leaking valve cover that when it drips the oil burns off causing white smoke.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,956
    Rep Points
    2,642.8
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27



    Reputation: Yes | No
    smoke is out my tailpipe... its oil getting into combustion chamber but dont know how/why....

    I am loing oil quickly still yes... as the smoking becomes more and more absurd the consumption raises at an alarming rate... cars stay back 300 feet at times when its bad...

    its not usual, but the kicker is it GOES AWAY right after PCV swap than gradually comes back... ill take video to show how severe it is soon.

    Turbos boost fine, dont rattle , or make any noise.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The world...
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Points
    1,202.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    smoke is out my tailpipe... its oil getting into combustion chamber but dont know how/why....

    I am loing oil quickly still yes... as the smoking becomes more and more absurd the consumption raises at an alarming rate... cars stay back 300 feet at times when its bad...

    its not usual, but the kicker is it GOES AWAY right after PCV swap than gradually comes back... ill take video to show how severe it is soon.

    Turbos boost fine, dont rattle , or make any noise.
    compression, leak down testing done? the symptoms you describe are very N54ish... I don't know what it is with these cars...
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

    N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,956
    Rep Points
    2,642.8
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27



    Reputation: Yes | No
    at its worst I lost almost a qt in under 200 miles!!!! now I am burning about 1/2 qt every 400 miles lmao... my passenger floor has 4 qts on it...

    Ill do a compression test but Im 99.9% certain its something to do with pcv system, but what? And is there anything in valve cover that would cause this?

    my 90k n54 135 that i beat the ever living piss out of was perfect across 1-6 compression and leak down... i highly doubt its the engine but I know this situation calls for it... Sat is supposed to be 50+ here in NY so I am dedicating Saturday to resolve this...

    Thinking of just doing the valve cover, and ill do a compression test... dont really want to do a leak down just yet as I really have NO time...

    Also, i must say the smoking is NOT minor... its absurd... clealy covers 100-200 ft of road with blue smoke that stinks on any decel from 4k down after 60%+ throttle... its quite comical... My buddy who is a foreman at bmw says hes never seen it, lol.. told me to go stock and bring it in, but I still think theyll say , too much boost caused this, here is your car back LOL... so thats out of the equation until I do everything in my power to resolve it.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    If youre losing that much oil check for physical leaks. Gotta get it on a lift.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,956
    Rep Points
    2,642.8
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27



    Reputation: Yes | No
    no physical leaks, its pretty obvious where its going.. ill take a video of my blue smoker
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,956
    Rep Points
    2,642.8
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27



    Reputation: Yes | No
    also note.... at times it wont smoke AT ALL

    if anyone is in Suffolk area and thinks they can give a hand ill glady drive out to you, pay you for your time, for an opinion/insight/help...

    I can turn a wrench and have a brain but dont have an extensive mechanical backround ... so any help is appreciated.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    663
    Rep Points
    1,728.9
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Reputation: Yes | No
    When I had a turbo seal go, it was initially intermittant. The consumption wasn't significant though -just a little oil burned makes quite a lot of smoke. It also doesn't explain why your issue went away when you replaced the pcv valve unless that was just a coincidence (doubtful).

    Have you recently changed plugs, and if so, what did they look like?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,956
    Rep Points
    2,642.8
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Pulled all the plugs when I did the RB PCV two weeks beforeI went on honeymoon and they all look completely fine...

    This is a fn head scratcher but typical for my kind ofluck... The smoking around def correlates with PCV changing but eventually goesback to the insane OC and smoking more than any diesel truck in NY...

    Iíll try to video before and after pulling the PCV afterwork today... and im pretty sure it will stop smoking.. and thereís no way Ihad two pcvs go bad in a week...

    These problems are worse than big ones sometimes. I think Iídrather drop 2500 on a blown tranny than deal with a 5 month headache..


    Iím testing turbos for vargas so this needs to get doneasap... after cover swap, compression test, leak down if ness, I will go stockand have BMW take a look but in the last few months I really burnt my bridge there lately after a BS experience with them "fixing" my meth pump and secretly noting my cars notes of modifications behind my back that luckily SA removed but I said a few things they didnt like to the tech who cried like a baby about mods.. So I really dont wan to bring it there.


    Also, they are swearing up and down injectors need to allcome out to do valve cover... it boggles my mind how much they DONT know. Itwould be nice to pressurize the crankcase and check for leaks though and theyhave a great machine for that. I mayjust pay them to do that test , but Iím sure they will annihilate my $#@!for that one.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The world...
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Points
    1,202.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Reputation: Yes | No
    hmmm...let me know what you find out... I have no physical leaks whatsoever but can definitely smell oil burning and am consuming oil like crazy. Typical issues have all been looked at...
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

    N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    Pulled all the plugs when I did the RB PCV two weeks beforeI went on honeymoon and they all look completely fine...

    This is a fn head scratcher but typical for my kind ofluck... The smoking around def correlates with PCV changing but eventually goesback to the insane OC and smoking more than any diesel truck in NY...

    Iíll try to video before and after pulling the PCV afterwork today... and im pretty sure it will stop smoking.. and thereís no way Ihad two pcvs go bad in a week...

    These problems are worse than big ones sometimes. I think Iídrather drop 2500 on a blown tranny than deal with a 5 month headache..


    Iím testing turbos for vargas so this needs to get doneasap... after cover swap, compression test, leak down if ness, I will go stockand have BMW take a look but in the last few months I really burnt my bridge there lately after a BS experience with them "fixing" my meth pump and secretly noting my cars notes of modifications behind my back that luckily SA removed but I said a few things they didnt like to the tech who cried like a baby about mods.. So I really dont wan to bring it there.


    Also, they are swearing up and down injectors need to allcome out to do valve cover... it boggles my mind how much they DONT know. Itwould be nice to pressurize the crankcase and check for leaks though and theyhave a great machine for that. I mayjust pay them to do that test , but Iím sure they will annihilate my $#@!for that one.
    Do you get burnt oil smell in your cabin from the vents with the windows closed? Especially decelerating. Trying to see if you had my issue before I fixed it

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,676
    Rep Points
    3,291.4
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Easy:

    1) Pull your dps, see if the turbine housings are dry and that there's no in/out play on the wheels/shafts. A tiny bit of side to side with the car off (no oil pressure) is ok. In/out really shouldn't have play at all. If dry and no play go to step 2, otherwise its your turbos (i bet on turbos)
    2) Compression test, see if all cylinders read close, if they do go to step 3
    3) If one cylinder is considerably lower than others you've got an issue, if not then step 4
    4) Leakdown test, let's you figure out if its maybe an exhaust or intake valve or ring land...if this is ok too, step 5
    5) You're into guess work and it might be your PCV/valve cover's built in oil separator. If you're lucky changing your valve cover may fix it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The world...
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Points
    1,202.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Do you get burnt oil smell in your cabin from the vents with the windows closed? Especially decelerating. Trying to see if you had my issue before I fixed it
    yes... and at stoplights but i am also burning oil...
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

    N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The world...
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Points
    1,202.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Easy:

    1) Pull your dps, see if the turbine housings are dry and that there's no in/out play on the wheels/shafts. A tiny bit of side to side with the car off (no oil pressure) is ok. In/out really shouldn't have play at all. If dry and no play go to step 2, otherwise its your turbos (i bet on turbos)
    2) Compression test, see if all cylinders read close, if they do go to step 3
    3) If one cylinder is considerably lower than others you've got an issue, if not then step 4
    4) Leakdown test, let's you figure out if its maybe an exhaust or intake valve or ring land...if this is ok too, step 5
    5) You're into guess work and it might be your PCV/valve cover's built in oil separator. If you're lucky changing your valve cover may fix it.
    thanks for that...

    I've done;

    1
    5

    No internal test have been done...
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

    N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Easy:

    1) Pull your dps, see if the turbine housings are dry and that there's no in/out play on the wheels/shafts. A tiny bit of side to side with the car off (no oil pressure) is ok. In/out really shouldn't have play at all. If dry and no play go to step 2, otherwise its your turbos (i bet on turbos)
    2) Compression test, see if all cylinders read close, if they do go to step 3
    3) If one cylinder is considerably lower than others you've got an issue, if not then step 4
    4) Leakdown test, let's you figure out if its maybe an exhaust or intake valve or ring land...if this is ok too, step 5
    5) You're into guess work and it might be your PCV/valve cover's built in oil
    separator. If you're lucky changing your valve cover may fix it.
    Agreed, probably turbos, maybe oil filter housing/valve cover gasket, etc.

    Or his seals went south (like mine) and started leaking at the union. Something like that you may not catch on a quick glance-over on the lift.

    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,956
    Rep Points
    2,642.8
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27



    Reputation: Yes | No
    dzenno your plan was exactly what i have planned for saturday.. I got my buddy donny to commit to helping me and we now have access to a lift so doing all those things are feasable in a days time (10-4ish)

    why my situation is so unique is the new PCV litterally eliminated ALL OIL LOSS AND SMOKE AND SMELL I even posted about it being fixed, than gradually came back... took 3x longer to come back with rb PCV than my old used 135i pcv before i went to rb one....

    there is no physical oil leak causing this problem though, if theres one there its just an addition... the amount of smoke coming out of my tailpipes at times is NOT your usual puff or even hurting DSM esk smoking.. its A LOT. than swap new pcv GONE... than slowly comes back.... so odd...

    but I think the appropriate path is to do valve cover last because others are free and just your time doing things that are good to know regardless of the situation.

    My car stinks when it smokes in and out but not a persistant smell like oil burning on hot pipes...

    this is oil in combustion or from turbo to exhaust...
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    1,103
    Rep Points
    2,345.8
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    24


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'd highly consider doing at least the valve cover gasket and maybe even the valve cover regardless of turbine visual oil inspection (barring them having excess shaft play). PCV systems can cause lots of whacky problems for people and alot of N54s do have that problem and ultimately the turbo is effected by the cause. It could be the turbos as well, but considering the gaskets on these things turn to plastic and leak over time I certainly would not rule out very common issues as probable factors. Good luck.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    53
    Rep Points
    107.9
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    10-4 lol the meter will be running......

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,956
    Rep Points
    2,642.8
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27



    Reputation: Yes | No
    ffffuuuuuuu the 900 for intercooler should have me a few hours in the green. LOL jk

    Im not gonna do the valve cover until after saturday when we inspect turbos, and do leak down test... pending lovely weather stopping this from happening..'

    Rob, thanks for your insight, im not really sure what role the valve cover plays in the pcv system, and my buddy from BMW says its because you run too much boost causing blow by, meanwhile PCVs are working when in vacuum. I dont know what more annoying, the problem or trying to discuss it with bmw techs and just see how one minded they are.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,956
    Rep Points
    2,642.8
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27



    Reputation: Yes | No
    @themyst - donny is blu24 and the guy who wants the cobb.. if anyone knows ben R. whos selling his cobb either PM me or blu24....
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Points
    1,522.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Reputation: Yes | No
    The valve cover contains all of the PCV system components. Check out the NG6 Tech Manuals sticky here:

    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...007-Manuals%29

    The "Engine Mechanical" document has the info on the PCV system.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    376
    Rep Points
    707.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    ffffuuuuuuu the 900 for intercooler should have me a few hours in the green. LOL jk

    Im not gonna do the valve cover until after saturday when we inspect turbos, and do leak down test... pending lovely weather stopping this from happening..'

    Rob, thanks for your insight, im not really sure what role the valve cover plays in the pcv system, and my buddy from BMW says its because you run too much boost causing blow by, meanwhile PCVs are working when in vacuum. I dont know what more annoying, the problem or trying to discuss it with bmw techs and just see how one minded they are.
    Rob is the man when it comes to PCV and I don't really understand it perfectly myself but have you considered just venting to atmosphere the PCV port that normally gets pulled into the rear turbo inlet?

    e.g. If you're smoking, just get a longer hose off the PCV, push into an open bottle (to catch oil / moisture so it doesn't get everywhere) and let it vent to engine bay, this should immediately stop the smoking if it's purely PCV related. It's just to prove the root cause, not a fix.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    881
    Rep Points
    1,435.0
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Agreed, probably turbos, maybe oil filter housing/valve cover gasket, etc.

    Or his seals went south (like mine) and started leaking at the union. Something like that you may not catch on a quick glance-over on the lift.

    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    So the seals on your RB's went out? How many miles were on them?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •