Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Turbo 400 tranny swap

Tell me why i cant get a built turbo 400 tranny and have it modified to go into my ST E90 and have it work with standalone DME management such as ProEFI maybe in the not too distant future.

Or can I
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    LOL sub'd
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Enough money, you can do anything Click here to enlarge

EDIT: Enough money + a great shop willing to work on custom long running projects and then you can do anything hehe
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Like everything, it comes down to dollar & cents. If you can budget the trans, modified install, ProEFI tuning & labor, then all you need to do is find a shop that is capable of doing the install, physical parts and cut a check.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok I have some shops in mind, should have the money. We will see what this stock tranny can or cant handle once we get this beast running on higher boost in the next couple of months.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

I'm 99.9% sure you, you cant get a Turbo 400 to fit into anything but you would be much better off with a 4L80E, this is the tranny I got for my LS TT build it I got a stage 5 FLT for like 2 grand off a forum. That tranny can hold around 1200 HP if I remember correctly. Why you are better off with that tranny is because it is the new GM stuff and is computer controlled, any good standalone fully controls the TCU and maximizes shift points, etc. Its also an OD lock up meaning you can cruise on the freeway nicely. This is all old hat to the GM guys, if you are serious about this start surfing some GM forums and read up. LS1tech.com is by far the best. Here is a link to the stage 5 tranny I had. http://www.finishlinetrans.com/trans...meDuty4L80.htm

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I'm 99.9% sure you, you cant get a Turbo 400 to fit into anything but you would be much better off with a 4L80E, this is the tranny I got for my LS TT build it I got a stage 5 FLT for like 2 grand off a forum. That tranny can hold around 1200 HP if I remember correctly. Why you are better off with that tranny is because it is the new GM stuff and is computer controlled, any good standalone fully controls the TCU and maximizes shift points, etc. Its also an OD lock up meaning you can cruise on the freeway nicely. This is all old hat to the GM guys, if you are serious about this start surfing some GM forums and read up. LS1tech.com is by far the best. Here is a link to the stage 5 tranny I had. http://www.finishlinetrans.com/trans...meDuty4L80.htm

Thx! will look into it for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    This looks like a safer bet. I was just thinking that some GM tranny would work better if there was a way to merry the N54 to it...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Custom adapter plate .... Easy. I would deff do a manual TH400 ... With trans brake.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trbolexis Click here to enlarge
    Custom adapter plate .... Easy. I would deff do a manual TH400 ... With trans brake.
    I disagree, you can get a 4L to hold just as much power, still use a transbrake and have a nice computer controlled tranny to go with a 21st century car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

$#@! it, stick a Lenco in it and call it a day Click here to enlarge

Seriously though, a 4L80E is one hell of a trans with just a good set of clutches and beefed up input shaft.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    Tell me why i cant get a built turbo 400 tranny and have it modified to go into my ST E90 and have it work with standalone DME management such as ProEFI maybe in the not too distant future.

Or can I
    Because this is real life and not a video game.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You'd need an adapter, custom parts between the two, a stand alone trans controller, custom trans mounts, modified drive shaft, and some coding (ok probably a lot) and you'd still probably have some check lights on. Hardest part imo would be the parts between the engine and trans, followed by the coding to keep the dme happy. Mounts, driveshafts and adapters shouldn't be too hard to make or have made for a popular gm trans.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Thats my thoughts, thx for the support!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I disagree, you can get a 4L to hold just as much power, still use a transbrake and have a nice computer controlled tranny to go with a 21st century car.

definately looking into both options moving ahead thx again!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Because this is real life and not a video game.

Well lets see whos "video game" car comes out on top, mine or yours Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As with everything else on these cars the software is going to be the big issue. I don't know how much interaction there is between the DME and TCM but I'm assuming it's A LOT. You're probably better off starting with a DME for a car with a manual trans. I've never had to look into swapping TCMs(I'm 6MT) or DMEs so I don't know what all would be involved in making that happen but if it's possible that's how I would do it.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is a guy around who converted his 535 from step to 6mt, just a lot of coding and parts. Not sure how the tcm monitors things on the transmission side, but some of those outputs such as speed would have to be adapted for the dme and tcm. Should be possible, I know it is for other bmw's and I doubt our sensors are much different.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Vehicle speed is measured by the ABS system at the wheels.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The TH400 is a 3-speed. I would advise either a 4L60 or 4L80, which are both 4-speeds. That extra gear will make a huge difference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I guess it depends on the type of racing; however, if your going with the TH4, likely you are doing drag --- Hence the MANUAL TH400, Quickshifter, and Transbrake.

Keep it simple ... why invest into a ProEFI TCU, or other computer for a 4L80? The manual th4 is alot of fun.

The extra gear is only OverDrive. Good for highway cruising, and hyper-miling.. Not needed for race application.

You wont touch 4th in the 1320....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I guess it depends on the type of racing; however, if your going with the TH4, likely you are doing drag --- Hence the MANUAL TH400, Quickshifter, and Transbrake.

Keep it simple ... why invest into a ProEFI TCU, or other computer for a 4L80? The manual th4 is alot of fun.

The extra gear is only OverDrive. Good for highway cruising, and hyper-miling.. Not needed for race application.

You wont touch 4th in the 1320....

the th400 is appealing to me yup 1/4 mile is the purpose.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    Well lets see whos "video game" car comes out on top, mine or yours Click here to enlarge
    Go for it man, let's see it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Vehicle speed is measured by the ABS system at the wheels.
    Well that's convenient. I learn something new every day about this car I swear.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

wow, good idea, good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast