Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Engine overheated! water pump failed...

My car started to rattle, the radiator fan went on high, and my car overheated. I pulled the codes and it came up as
    2e81
    2e82
    Pretty sure its the water pump. Weird thing is that my odometer read 66666!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yeah water pump for sure! Number of the beast, and the some!!
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

WowClick here to enlarge

I'm still on the original (87,000km) and time is ticking.. I plan on driving 20 hours over a weekend in April and worried about getting stranded in the middle of nowhere. I'm on CPO otherwise I would have replaced it by now
    FBO / HFS-4 / Cobb PTF tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Garbage! It just happened to my friends 335i vert. At 49k miles. it happened to me too on my E90 when I had it. About 50k miles. What a piece of $#@! unit. This car has so many $#@! items, that just seem to break all the time.
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    Garbage! It just happened to my friends 335i vert. At 49k miles. it happened to me too on my E90 when I had it. About 50k miles. What a piece of $#@! unit. This car has so many $#@! items, that just seem to break all the time.
    Totally agree! There have been so many revisions on some parts, makes you think time ran out on R&D...
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

The HPFP, Injectors, WG Rattle & Water Pump = Short list of common N54 "flaws"
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

So where do you guys get your water pumps from? Do you replace the thermostat at the same time? I have just almost 70k miles and need to get this taken care of this spring.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    So where do you guys get your water pumps from? Do you replace the thermostat at the same time? I have just almost 70k miles and need to get this taken care of this spring.
    For sure replace thermostat too, job goes pretty quick just make sure you have the hoses on real good before tightening the clamps. Plastic POS parts...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Replace both & any other associated parts. You'll prob get your best pricing off RealOEM.com or GetBMWParts.com (Tischer BMW)

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

ECS has the thermostat and VDO branded water pump for about 500. That includes the three aluminum bolts. I'm pretty sure VDO is the OEM for the factory water pump. Can anyone confirm this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Cross reference the part numbers against the Real OEM diagram: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...54&hg=11&fg=35

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Totally agree! There have been so many revisions on some parts, makes you think time ran out on R&D...
    It's more that the cost of replacing the parts under warranty didn't outweigh what they were making or that they expected they would last just long enough for the warranty period. BMW DOES NOT CARE.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's more that the cost of replacing the parts under warranty didn't outweigh what they were making or that they expected they would last just long enough for the warranty period. BMW DOES NOT CARE.
    Sad but true.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

93,000 miles on the original water pump for me. I'm having it replaced anyways when the car goes in for the turbos just to be safe. mine has got to be a ticking time bomb
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

I have seen multiple accounts of people ordering the OEM pump from the dealer and getting a pump with "Continental" molded into it. Turner also lists a BMW N54/N55 water pump that clearly has "Continental" on the side. Continental bought VDO in 2007. ECS even has marketing literature that states VDO and OEM BMW pumps are the same.

I think the important thing is the pump is the latest part number, 11517632426.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My new updated water pump is Contential. These pumps last just about as long as the previous mechanical pumps did. BMW has improved the water pump reliability but still 50-80KI miles before failure is not the best of German engineering.

Also realoem.com posts prices that are at many times totally unrealistic.
    I agree with getbmwpart.com and or ESC. Also tstat housing and water pump at the same time is a good idea. I have a new pump and bolts in my trunk awaiting that faithful day. I need to pick up the tstat housing as well.
    For the record my 335 vert has been bulletproof from day one and is a 3/2007 manufacture date.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

So I ordered the VDO pump, thermostat and bolts from ECS and put it in yesterday. First I would like to note the old pump said "VDO Siemens" on it, and the new pump said "Continental" on it. Continental bought VDO from Siemens in 08/2007. The date of manufacture of the old pump was 2006 sometime, and the new pump was manufactured in 2012. The car's build date is 10/06.

I noticed the old pump had three vibration damping rubber mounts that were about 12-15 mm tall. The new pump did not have these rubber mounts, and the mounting ears were probably only 8mm thick. When I went to put the top bolt in, it bottomed out in the hole.

ECS included BMW P/N 11510392553 which is the set of three Al bolts that need to be replaced. Real OEM lists this as the appropriate part for my build date.

The solution was easy. The bolts have 3-4 mm at the tip that is untreaded, probably meant to make the bolt easier to start in the hole. I cut off the tip of the top bolt and used a belt sander to smooth it down, being careful not to damage the threads. The bolt went in no problem after that (besides the cramped location).

Oddly, for my build date, RealOEM lists the bolts individually as M8x26 (P/N 11517602123), and the set of bolts are M8x32 (P/N 11510392553). There is no part number for a set of the M8x26 bolts.

So this is an FYI, the bolts BMW lists are too long for the top location on some cars, and will need to be circumcised.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

So this is an FYI, the bolts BMW lists are too long for the top location on some cars, and will need to be circumcised.
    Isn't this really weird??