Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 72

Thread: Upgraded turbo N54 335i with BMS JB4 tune takes on a 458 Italia from a roll twice and goes door to door with it

              
   
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,051
    Rep Points
    971.6
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ya I'd like to imagine the feeling of going home in the 458 and putting my feet up at my equally impressive pad. It's like a Veyron losing a race to some blown big block that runs 8's. Who cares?
    I know exactly where you are coming from don't get me wrong. But it has to hurt a little for your 1/4 million Ferrari to lose to an entry level 40k luxury sedan. If you lose to a civic with a roll cage that is all gutted and super loud I am sure he doesn't care, it is a purpose built drag car just like the big block V8 example you used. But losing to a 'stock' looking entry level BMW has to string some. I guarantee next time he runs into a 3 series on the highway he will think again about trying to impress the girl in the seat next to him by racing it (just as an example).

    If I paid that money I would be pissed losing to a 3 series with stock frame turbos.

    Kind of like this but instead of a bright orange riced out supra a stockish looking 3 series:


    edit: To go on, if he lost to an M3, Porsche, or a other factory built car that was designed to go 'fast' he probably wouldn't care as the car was created to do exactly that go fast. But a 3 series? It was made as an entry level car for young urban professionals and soccer moms who don't want an SUV or Van IMO. It was never designed or in the wildest dreams of the designers of the 3 series to beat a Ferrari 458.
    Last edited by Torgus; 03-04-2013 at 05:27 PM.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,912
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know exactly where you are coming from don't get me wrong. But it has to hurt a little for your 1/4 million Ferrari to lose to an entry level 40k luxury sedan. If you lose to a civic with a roll cage that is all gutted and super loud no he doesn't care because it is a purpose built drag car just like the big block V8 example you used. But losing to a 'stock' looking entry level BMW has to string some. I guarantee next time he runs into a 3 series on the highway he will think again about trying to impress the girl in the seat next to him by racing it(just as an exaple).

    If I paid that money I would be pissed losing to a 3 series with stock frame turbos.
    +1
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  3. #28
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,711
    Rep Points
    23,081.3
    Mentioned
    1422 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    231


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well thats obvious, but its also obvious he didn't enjoy seeing the tail lights of that 335i from the first race either. It is what it is, can't wait to see more videos.
    Nobody likes losing. He has $ to do something about it if it matters. If my Italia lost to a Camaro I really wouldn't care.

  4. #29
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,711
    Rep Points
    23,081.3
    Mentioned
    1422 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    231


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But it has to hurt a little for your 1/4 million Ferrari to lose to an entry level 40k luxury sedan.
    In a straight line? When completely stock? With performance that can be achieved on pump gas?

    Your Fast and the furious video is very appropriate. I'd rather be the guy saying more than you can afford pal.

    And anyway, let's be serious:



    Game over.

  5. #30
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,711
    Rep Points
    23,081.3
    Mentioned
    1422 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    231


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was never designed or in the wildest dreams of the designers of the 3 series to beat a Ferrari 458.
    It doesn't and it can't in anything other than going straight and even then only with a bone stock Italia once again. It's a whole different level with much more capability.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,051
    Rep Points
    971.6
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It doesn't and it can't in anything other than going straight and even then only with a bone stock Italia once again. It's a whole different level with much more capability.
    It better for $190k more...

    fwiw my car goes straight over 99% of the time.

  7. #32
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,711
    Rep Points
    23,081.3
    Mentioned
    1422 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    231


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It better for $190k more...
    It's worth that money. The 335 owners NEED to reference it to put themselves in context as if running door to door with a 458 makes a 335 equal to one.

    There are better straightline cars than either, so what's your point?

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,051
    Rep Points
    971.6
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's worth that money. The 335 owners NEED to reference it to put themselves in context as if running door to door with a 458 makes a 335 equal to one.

    There are better straightline cars than either, so what's your point?
    No one is dumb enough to say it makes you equal to a 458, least not on here that is e90 post $#@!.

    Running door to door or even beating a 458 makes for an impressive for a bang for your buck comparison. If I owned the 458 I would be pissed losing to a stockish entry level bmw that wasn't designed to go fast in a straight line. That is my opinion and I will stick to it. If you wouldn't be bothered that is fine, I think most owners would. If I drop a 1/4 million I better be blowing the $#@!ing doors off 3 series left and right.

    For any argument I can say generally that there are better cars than what a specific thread is about. This thread isn't about other cars it is about a 458 losing to a 3 series with stock frame turbos. What is the point of bringing up other cars?

    Go find your average 458 owner and tell them you sub 20k 2007 3 series is faster in a straight line with stock turbos and no other power adder. I think many would take you up on the wager. I could say the same for most M3 owners...

    I don't think anyone here thinks the 3 series is comparable to the Ferrari in anything but a straight line which is what this thread is about. If this thread was about a track day then ok lets talk about turning, breaking, which car laps faster, and goes through the chicane faster.
    Last edited by Torgus; 03-04-2013 at 05:57 PM.

  9. #34
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,711
    Rep Points
    23,081.3
    Mentioned
    1422 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    231


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Running door to door or even beating a 458 makes for an impressive for a bang for your buck comparison. If I owned the 458 I would be pissed losing to a stockish entry level bmw
    The first part of your statement makes sense, it's the second part that is stupid. If you owned a 458 Italia and were so super concerned with straightline racing, you can build it to crap on any 335 in existence with just a stock internal low boost turbo kit. So there's nothing to be upset about. I'd be more angry about not being able to afford a 458 Italia.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,436
    Rep Points
    674.8
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The 458 doesn't really dyno all that much. It's fast, a high 120's trap car stock. But an RB turbo upgrade on race gas is in this same range.

    The 458 owner just needs headers and a tune to wave goodbye...
    what sorta numbers do hey put down? surely the losses can't be THAT high?

    true, but what.. $8k in mods there?

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    wow 2 car win not bad for a car you can buy for sub 20k with upgraded stock turbos. I can only imagine the feeling the Ferrari owner had.
    yeah, can't be happy driving home in that thing, tough life hey Click here to enlarge

    would still expect the 458 to take the 335 in a corner?

  11. #36
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,711
    Rep Points
    23,081.3
    Mentioned
    1422 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    231


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what sorta numbers do hey put down? surely the losses can't be THAT high?
    In the 450's. I just think the crank rating is too high.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    true, but what.. $8k in mods there?
    Headers:

    Click here to enlarge

    Add in a an affordable tune, Eurocharged let's say, and you're golden. Oh and I'd get race headers not ones with integrated cats. Regardless, it's like $6k total if done right.

  12. #37
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,711
    Rep Points
    23,081.3
    Mentioned
    1422 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    231


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    would still expect the 458 to take the 335 in a corner?
    We seriously even need to ask this?

  13. #38
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,711
    Rep Points
    23,081.3
    Mentioned
    1422 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    231


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what sorta numbers do hey put down? surely the losses can't be THAT high?
    That pesky second set of cats. With a tune 500 whp NA? Seems possible. So minor bolt on's and the game changes. Ferrari owner just needs some education, that's all.

    Click here to enlarge

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,051
    Rep Points
    971.6
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    After spending 1/4 mill I would be angry that I have to spend more to beat a simple 3 series, that is my main point sticky. You are welcome to disagree man. Either way it's impressive for the 3 series.

    Out of curiosity how much does cattless headers, intake, tune, and exhaust cost on a Ferarri?
    like 15k installed?

  15. #40
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,711
    Rep Points
    23,081.3
    Mentioned
    1422 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    231


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After spending 1/4 mill I would be angry that I have to spend more to beat a simple 3 series, that is my main point sticky.
    My main point is the Ferrari isn't built for straightline racing and offers things no amount of mods to a 3 series can change, that is my main point.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Out of curiosity how much does cattless headers, intake, tune, and exhaust cost on a Ferarri?
    like 15k installed?
    Uh, no. I already mentioned what one could do this for, not really all that different from German cars. The bolt on's are cheaper than RB's plus tune and labor. Simple cat bypass pipes for example.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    103
    Rep Points
    174.0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If I were the 458 owner and I got beat by a 335 I'd ask the guy what kind of mods he had, congratulate him, and drive home in my $#@!ing Ferrari.

  17. #42
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,711
    Rep Points
    23,081.3
    Mentioned
    1422 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    231


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trufus Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I were the 458 owner and I got beat by a 335 I'd ask the guy what kind of mods he had, congratulate him, and drive home in my $#@!ing Ferrari.
    There we go.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,436
    Rep Points
    674.8
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We seriously even need to ask this?
    shouldn't have had the question mark.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,436
    Rep Points
    674.8
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the 450's. I just think the crank rating is too high.



    Headers:

    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...3/dyno73-1.jpg

    Add in a an affordable tune, Eurocharged let's say, and you're golden. Oh and I'd get race headers not ones with integrated cats. Regardless, it's like $6k total if done right.
    and if you can afford a 250k car, 6k in mods should be pocket change

    can't believe they have 2 sets of cats though, they're already ridiculously loud (the ones i've heard at least)

  20. #45
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,711
    Rep Points
    23,081.3
    Mentioned
    1422 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    231


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    can't believe they have 2 sets of cats though, they're already ridiculously loud (the ones i've heard at least)
    Well part of the Ferrari experience is the sound. The stock cats off the OEM manifold are 700 cpi from what I understand.

  21. #46
    Q4P's Avatar
    Q4P is offline Member
    Status: N54... the DI almost German
    2JZ
     
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The world...
    Posts
    1,329
    Rep Points
    1,202.0
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My main point is the Ferrari isn't built for straightline racing and offers things no amount of mods to a 3 series can change, that is my main point.
    Thats what I thought too... until a guy I knew purchased a red F430 a long time ago and I was less than impressed... I even drove it and minus the sound; the car did nothing for me. As far as the 458 is concerned; it's an unbearably expensive car and like 100% of expensive cars; once you get past a certain $$$ point, the improvements are truly minorly incremental.

    Now a TT 458 is probably much different yet again... but for the price; it's crack.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

    N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    136
    Rep Points
    355.0
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I knew this would turn into a pissing contest with the 458 video like it has everywhere else. Lol everyone saying the ferrari owner must have been mad, or upset, or anything other than bat$#@! happy he is driving a 458 was probably born an invalid. The two cars are not even not in the same class, they reside on different planets. And for everyone saying he paid $xxx to be beaten by a car that cost $xxx you are even more retarded. Speed in a straight line has always, and always will be dirt cheap in comparison to speed in turns. just stop, stop the madness.

  23. #48
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,711
    Rep Points
    23,081.3
    Mentioned
    1422 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    231


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I even drove it and minus the sound; the car did nothing for me.
    Did you just back it in and out of his driveway?

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As far as the 458 is concerned; it's an unbearably expensive car
    Not really, expense is relative. It's a bargain compared to the LF-A isn't it?

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    00% of expensive cars; once you get past a certain $$$ point, the improvements are truly minorly incremental.
    No, not really. It's exclusivity, design, and just the way the car makes you feel can't be replicated by say, oh, a 335. Part of its appeal is its expense and design and not just the performance.

    A Shelby GT500 offers more power for far less money than the new 911 GT3. It's the way the GT3 goes about delivering its power and its engineering (as well as name) that is worth the money making it a far more desireable car.

    The 458 isn't just a 3-Series with some boost. It's a 9000 rpm direct injected mid engine V8 with a lightweight body. It's special.

  24. #49
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,711
    Rep Points
    23,081.3
    Mentioned
    1422 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    231


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idriveslo Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol everyone saying the ferrari owner must have been mad, or upset, or anything other than bat$#@! happy he is driving a 458 was probably born an invalid. The two cars are not even not in the same class, they reside on different planets.
    Exactly.

    But it's this same mentality that 335 owners use all the time.

    I own a 458 Italia, what do I care if some 335 wins a straightline race? It's as if the 335 is justifying its existence in the context of keeping up with a stock Ferrari.

    Is it impressive to run with a car as great as an Italia? Of course, but anyone thinking straightline speed is the main factor is deluding themselves.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    357
    Rep Points
    388.2
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I believe FabSpeed made something like 506whp with Headers and no cats + re-tune. The base car did something like 460whp.

    That's a huge gain considering the cost of the parts and tuning. Enough to walk this 335 hard.

    No comment on the I beat you nutswinging this and that cheap car. No 458 owner is going to re-considering anything getting beat by bigger turbo, nitrous, cage I don't care what Civic, 335, Suzuki Samuri. At the end of the day, he's in a 458 and the other person isn't.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •