Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Um, how did they not race a homologated car when they followed the rules for homologation to the letter? What are you talking about?

The Z4 GTE on the other has no road going variant.
    Let's try it like this. In 2001 did BMW race a M3 GTR? In 2001, did BMW have a M3 GTR road car? In 2002 did BMW have a M3 GTR road car? In 2002 did BMW race?
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    Let's try it like this. In 2001 did BMW race a M3 GTR? In 2001, did BMW have a M3 GTR road car? In 2002 did BMW have a M3 GTR road car? In 2002 did BMW race?
    Um you can't try it like that because the 2002 rules did not apply to 2001. So BMW raced the 2001 season while developing the M3 GTR road car and MET the homologation rules for the 2011 season so I have no idea how you are saying they did not race a homologated car when clearly they did.

For 2002 the rules changed and BMW decided it wasn't worth the cost and said cya.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Um you can't try it like that because the 2002 rules did not apply to 2001. So BMW raced the 2001 season while developing the M3 GTR road car and MET the homologation rules for the 2011 season so I have no idea how you are saying they did not race a homologated car when clearly they did.

For 2002 the rules changed and BMW decided it wasn't worth the cost and said cya.
    I see. They found a loophole.

I can see how BMW will get by this one. An exerpt from the 2013 ALMS Rule book. It's going to be the same situation in 2013. They will begin to develop a Z4M, finish the season, Win, scrap the program.

The eligibility and homologation of any new car or any evolution of a car can be done only with the agreement of the Endurance Committee.

The Manufacturer must be able to sell within a reasonable time, and subject to firm orders, at least 5 cars every year.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see. They found a loophole.
    Yes a homologation loophole the rules committee put in place so BMW was just following the rules and they did homologate the car as I stated.

I can see how BMW will get by this one. An exerpt from the 2013 ALMS Rule book.
    It seems they just got an exception because they aren't selling anything remotely resembling the race car and that is pretty lame.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes a homologation loophole the rules committee put in place so BMW was just following the rules and they did homologate the car as I stated.

It seems they just got an exception because they aren't selling anything remotely resembling the race car and that is pretty lame.
    Which is weird. I found something interesting and it seems like another loop hole for BMW. Let me find that rule book again.

A regular production implies a permanent implementation of the means required to produce a minimum of 1 car per week for the "Big Manufacturers" and one car per month to the "Small Manufacturers". If the production is not respected, the ACO will suspend the homologation of the car the year after. The suspension of the homologation will cease once the production delay has been made up. It will be permitted to compete with the car as soon as a minimum of 100 road cars for the "Big Manufacturers" and 25 road cars for the "Small Manufacturers" will be produced.
    Last edited by Steve B. CBR; 03-12-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ya BMW most definitely got an exemption.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The M1 failed because it was a rushed product. Lamborghini was supposed to be codeveloping the planned supercar. When that fell through BMW rushed the car to M so they can begin to develop the M1. Ask any real M enthusiast what the M1 is/was. Not to mention by the time they got the production version in, the racing version had to be changed constantly for racing and was never a good enough competitor.
    I am fully aware that the M1 was nearly a "failed" collaboration & when the project had been cancelled, BMW sent people to actually steal the blueprints (which we're in Lamborghini's possession). But it was the 1st car to officially receive an M badge, making it the official starting point an absolute success in establishing the M Division as a significant division within BMW. And the fact that you've now citied Chris Harris (who's awful) and Car & Driver (which just like any car enthusiasts magazine, is paid to publish specific biased reviews) further diminishes your credibility.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    I am fully aware that the M1 was nearly a "failed" collaboration & when the project had been cancelled, BMW sent people to actually steal the blueprints (which we're in Lamborghini's possession). But it was the 1st car to officially receive an M badge, making it the official starting point an absolute success in establishing the M Division as a significant division within BMW. And the fact that you've now citied Chris Harris (who's awful) and Car & Driver (which just like any car enthusiasts magazine, is paid to publish specific biased reviews) further diminishes your credibility.
    Once again. My books are not online so it's the next best thing. In Car and Driver's defense, their information is accurate regarding the M1's history regardless of how terrible their reviews are. The car was a rushed product. BMW could have allotted more time to perfect that car. Albeit, the M88 platform was a great starting point. They could have achieved more power from the road car, slightly better chassis, fine tune the small intricate details, and release it a few years sooner or a few years later, and the M1 would have been perfected. Bad timing because they rushed it out the door.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Albeit, the M88 platform was a great starting point. They could have achieved more power from the road car, slightly better chassis, fine tune the small intricate details, and release it a few years sooner or a few years later, and the M1 would have been perfected. Bad timing because they rushed it out the door.
    I don't think this is fair as they wanted to race it and it is a limited production model anyway.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234