Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

ATCO Raceway is officially Open/ Question about LWFW RPM loss

I went to ATCO last night and had a blast. I did a best run of 12.8 at 112.24 with a 2.009 60'. I know this time is not stellar but I'm getting used to the Stage 2+ and LWFW.

My full mods are JB4 G5, DCI, DPS, Meth (100% Denatured), Magnaflow Exhaust and E50. I feel I should be running closer to 118 traps instead of my best which was 114.56 MPH. During my drive home it finally dawned on me that the LWFW is losing RPM's during the 2-3 and 3-4 shift causing me to bog and timing dropping to 5 degrees and climbing from there. I confirmed this when viewing the logs later in the night.

The Stage 2+ clutch grabs so close to the top of the pedal and my instant reaction it to push all the way to the floor. I'm thinking of adding the NLS relay and trying to adjust my method of clutch depression.

Does this sound like a plausible theory or am I missing something? I will post logs later once I return home.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Flat foot & faster shifts.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Agreed! Getting ready to order the NLS relay from Terry. Do you think I'm losing all the MPH because of this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Put a stop block under the clutch pedal.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Could you hold boost wih the stock clutch? Concentrate on throttle instead of clutch for a bit. Likely you are lifting throttle too early so try the other extreme to get the feeling. Maybe try keeping the throttle pressed 10-20% during the shift... likely you will lift completely but may delay slightly improving the timing. If you rev up a little no worries. You'll know when you hit a good shift which can actually happen fairly slowly around 0.5sec from lift back to 100%.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

NLS was my favorite mod on the 335i. It was amazing!
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Just ordered my NLS module. @bigdnno98 do you have any logs of you using the NLS? I'm still concerned something is not running properly, since I think I should be trapping closer to 118mph.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Pretty sure I have some somewhere. I was running a WOTBOX not the BMS NLS though.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I was FBO + meth and was trapping 113-114 on stock turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Could you hold boost wih the stock clutch? Concentrate on throttle instead of clutch for a bit. Likely you are lifting throttle too early so try the other extreme to get the feeling. Maybe try keeping the throttle pressed 10-20% during the shift... likely you will lift completely but may delay slightly improving the timing. If you rev up a little no worries. You'll know when you hit a good shift which can actually happen fairly slowly around 0.5sec from lift back to 100%.
    The shifts definitely don't feel smooth in transition. I just feel as though when It falls on it's face from the 3-4 shift I gotta be losing some MPH on the top end. I'll have the NLS module this week and maybe back to the track next weekend.

I know I'm not the most graceful Drag racer since I always feel like a kid in a candy shop and go all out. Need to be more disciplined and execute during the runs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Not sure how to help you with your question but happy to hear ATCO is open and people are running again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Here you go. I was getting some flatline post shift so I was testing a theory that spraying meth through the shift was causing the flatline. I was unable to finish testing before I sold the car but I'd bet money that was contributing to it.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Thanks @bigdnno98 Seems like our logs are very similar. It's really tough to say around here since most people have automatics and when they shift the post shift RPM is closer to 5200-5400 RPM. On our MT's we see closer to 4800-5100 RPMs and I think we are just under the power band there.

Once I get my NLS module I'll do my best to perform some testing at different shift points and log analysis. It kinda irk's me that a JB4, DCI automatic was running 112MPH and I was struggling for 114MPH with more upgrades.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I know exactly what you mean. That ultimately led to me trading my 335i. I had 440HP/480TQ and had trouble getting into the 11s. Actually, I never ran an 11. I got frustrated and sold the car. At the end of the day, a 6MT 335i is not easy to drag race. Kind of have to accept that to enjoy the car. Go out and have fun making some runs, look good doing it, then drive it home and park it in the garage. It's a beautiful german sports/luxury car that goes fast. It's not made to drag race and if you get upset you're not running low 11.s because of all the money you put into it, you'll probably get rid of it and regret it like me.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NJrep335i Click here to enlarge
    Thanks @bigdnno98 Seems like our logs are very similar. It's really tough to say around here since most people have automatics and when they shift the post shift RPM is closer to 5200-5400 RPM. On our MT's we see closer to 4800-5100 RPMs and I think we are just under the power band there.

Once I get my NLS module I'll do my best to perform some testing at different shift points and log analysis. It kinda irk's me that a JB4, DCI automatic was running 112MPH and I was struggling for 114MPH with more upgrades.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I know exactly what you mean. That ultimately led to me trading my 335i. I had 440HP/480TQ and had trouble getting into the 11s. Actually, I never ran an 11. I got frustrated and sold the car. At the end of the day, a 6MT 335i is not easy to drag race. Kind of have to accept that to enjoy the car. Go out and have fun making some runs, look good doing it, then drive it home and park it in the garage. It's a beautiful german sports/luxury car that goes fast. It's not made to drag race and if you get upset you're not running low 11.s because of all the money you put into it, you'll probably get rid of it and regret it like me.
    Yeah there are much better cars for the strip if you just want to go fast in a straight line...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I'm not complaining about my 335i. I'm just trying to figure out how to run the traps for my mods. Is my car working properly? Do I need more driver mod? I enjoy my car daily and that's why I have 106,XXX miles on her with no major issue's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I was just saying don't get frustrated. Like I said I was trapping 113-114 FBO + meth on stock turbos. That was before e85 and the BMS flash. My car was a lot faster and more consistent after e85 and the flash. I didn't make it to the track like that though. I'd guess it would have trapped 118 FBO + meth w/e50 and BMS flash. Full weight and street tires of course.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

What additive are you ruining? On pump + FBO + meth I could only run a 40 add. With the flash and e50 I was running a 70 add, hitting 19.5 psi and holding 14psi to redline. Car was a lot faster than on pump and 40 add.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Thanks bigdnno98 Seems like our logs are very similar. It's really tough to say around here since most people have automatics and when they shift the post shift RPM is closer to 5200-5400 RPM. On our MT's we see closer to 4800-5100 RPMs and I think we are just under the power band there.

How are you getting off the line?? I'm not so much concerned with your 60' time, but more if the car is bogging down, so you lose some ground recovering the car before you can just row through the gears? Anything between 3.5k-5.5k is the heart of the power band (highest safe boost on the stock turbos), so you're def not leaving the powerband everytime you shift.

Like bigdnno said, you might want to try the BMS/COBB flash with just the E85 mix and see if you can recover a couple MPHs. The 6AT final drive is def more favorable for the quarter mile though (even besides the fact that getting off the line is both easier & faster).
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I was just saying don't get frustrated. Like I said I was trapping 113-114 FBO + meth on stock turbos. That was before e85 and the BMS flash. My car was a lot faster and more consistent after e85 and the flash. I didn't make it to the track like that though. I'd guess it would have trapped 118 FBO + meth w/e50 and BMS flash. Full weight and street tires of course.
    I stopped running meth for awhile since I had a WW kit and didn't wanna see a Flash of Light under my hood! Once I moved my meth to the trunk I figured it was go time again and in order to help my Fuel Trims drop down from the E85 use. When I was on only E85 i had flat 10 degrees timing, once meth was flowing I dropped down to 5 post shift and hit 10 on top.

Now maybe the algorithm may have change but I remember maxing my timing out with meth to 15 degrees.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    How are you getting off the line?? I'm not so much concerned with your 60' time, but more if the car is bogging down, so you lose some ground recovering the car before you can just row through the gears? Anything between 3.5k-5.5k is the heart of the power band (highest safe boost on the stock turbos), so you're def not leaving the powerband everytime you shift.

Like bigdnno said, you might want to try the BMS/COBB flash with just the E85 mix and see if you can recover a couple MPHs. The 6AT final drive is def more favorable for the quarter mile though (even besides the fact that getting off the line is both easier & faster).
    I average a 2.1 to 2.2 60' and my 2-3 shift doesn't feel bad at all. The 3-4 shift normally falls on it's face and then picks up like a beast. I'm sure most of this has to do with driver error but I'd like to see more MT logs on the post shift (hard to come by).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I know its totally off topic but, how is atco now that the infamous wall isn't there anymore?
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

I average a 2.1 to 2.2 60' and my 2-3 shift doesn't feel bad at all. The 3-4 shift normally falls on it's face and then picks up like a beast. I'm sure most of this has to do with driver error but I'd like to see more MT logs on the post shift (hard to come by).
    Does the 3-4 shift/flatline problem occur when doing highway pulls?? You should try testing with and without meth to see if that's in fact the issue.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    I know its totally off topic but, how is atco now that the infamous wall isn't there anymore?
    Honestly it was my fist time back there in 15 years and I had a blast. It's my understanding that the place was now under new management due to a lawsuit from a crash in 2011, I think. It's still way more laid back then Englishtown and I probably got 12 runs in 2 hours before calling it quits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast