Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Cool MC321's Z3M Coupe Resto Project

@MC321 is an old friend of mine and we have always spoken about me having a look at his Z3M Coupe. I absolutely love the car so wanted to give it a once going over as its 15 years old and some things might need attention. I was absolutely thrilled when I got a call from him saying that he was going to be bringing his gorgeous Z3M Coupe over for me to have a look at and install the Vibra Technics Mounts. Turns out a lot of service items needed attention and replacement.

I'll let the picture descriptions do the talking and @MC321 will chime in later with more comments on his RESTO Project......

Here she is coming in and straight on to the lift.....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Starting The Inspection with Gerald....
    Click here to enlarge

Engine Bay Shot....
    Click here to enlarge

GRUPPE M Intake...
    Click here to enlarge

SEXY ///M Power Valve cover....
    Click here to enlarge

Wheels all nice and clean....
    Click here to enlarge

Leaky Bilstein Front Shocks....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Time for an Oil Change with some Fresh TWS....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Pics showing removal process of OEM Engine Mounts. They'll be replaced with Vibra technics Street Mounts....

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

OEM Engine Mounts Vs VTs Street Mounts.....
    Click here to enlarge

VT Mounts Installed........Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.... Well not really, a lot of parts had to be removed in order to access the OEM mounts and replace them with the VT mounts.....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Random pics showing the re-installation of all the parts after the VT mounts install....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Diff/Final Drive Oil Change.....
    Click here to enlarge

Old Diff/Final Drive Oil Was very black....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Fresh Diff/Final Drive Oil Going in. Man this diff was hungry, Took almost 3 complete bottles.....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

All Done And Cleaned Up.....
    Click here to enlarge

Damaged Rear OEM Brake Hoses which have degraded over the years. They will be replaced with Stainless Braided Brake Hoses all around for long life and excellent pedal feel.....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Under Carriage Covers All Cleaned Up.....
    Click here to enlarge

Discovered a Sneaky Leak While I was under the car..... It is coming from the back of the Valve Cover and also a little leak from the pressure valve on the side of the block. New Valve Cover Gasket and Pressure Relief Valve have been ordered....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Clutch Line is old and starting to Leak. This will also be replaced by Stainless Braided Clutch Line including CPV Delete.
    Click here to enlarge

When I was moving the car around inside the garage I could smell fuel in the cabin. Turns out Fuel Pumps leaking. We ordered a new OEM Fuel Pump assembly etc. Also, we will be waiting on @MC321 to tell me if he wants KW V3s or new Bilstein Shocks. Just waiting on all the parts to arrive now and once they do I'll be updating the thread.......

Thanks for Looking Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Amazing work as always @0-60Motorsports

I love the attention to the detail. This may be a restoration project, but that Z3M is CLEAN!

I can't wait to see further updates Click here to enlarge
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Amazing work as always @0-60Motorsports

I love the attention to the detail. This may be a restoration project, but that Z3M is CLEAN!

I can't wait to see further updates Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Alex, Once we receive all the parts we'll have the car back in to continue the work Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Hi all.. don't think I've posted here before so this is as good a time as any!

First a short intro of the project car. It's a 1999 BMW Z3 M Coupe with a Euro S50 engine making 321hp. 2,178 cars were manufactured between 1998 and 2000. Manufacture date is March 1998, which means it turns 15 years this month. I've had it for 13 of those 15 years and have taken care of it to the best of my ability, but with advanced age more and more problems surface. The point of this thread is to identify the issues at hand and document how I'm dealing with them.

My last DIY project involving replacing the rubber bushings in the seats with plastic bushing to stop the common problem of chair rocking is documented on another forum.

I did some work on the car at the dealer a couple of years ago which involved re-upholstering the roof lining, changing the door handles, engine mounts, replacing many of the engine hoses, retouching the wheels, etc. so the car is in pretty good shape. During a recent service appointment, certain things were brought to my attention by 0-60 Motorsports so we decided to start a thread to document the project.

Will post a proper update and intro once I get enough rep to post pictures Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Alex, Once we receive all the parts we'll have the car back in to continue the work Click here to enlarge
    Looking forward to it!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MC321 Click here to enlarge

First a short intro of the project car. It's a 1999 BMW Z3 M Coupe with a Euro S50 engine making 321hp. 2,178 cars were manufactured between 1998 and 2000. Manufacture date is March 1998, which means it turns 15 years this month. I've had it for 13 of those 15 years and have taken care of it to the best of my ability, but with advanced age more and more problems surface. The point of this thread is to identify the issues at hand and document how I'm dealing with them.

My last DIY project involving replacing the rubber bushings in the seats with plastic bushing to stop the common problem of chair rocking is documented on another forum.

I did some work on the car at the dealer a couple of years ago which involved re-upholstering the roof lining, changing the door handles, engine mounts, replacing many of the engine hoses, retouching the wheels, etc. so the car is in pretty good shape. During a recent service appointment, certain things were brought to my attention by 0-60 Motorsports so we decided to start a thread to document the project.

Will post a proper update and intro once I get enough rep to post pictures Click here to enlarge
    Welcome to Bimmerboost! You have one amazing Z3M! I love how the priority of this project is rebuilding your little pocket rocket!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Welcome Click here to enlarge

You have enough rep now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Thanks @Sticky
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Received my fuel pump today (which is made in the USA for some reason). Just waiting on the head gasket and it'll go into the shop.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Received my fuel pump today (which is made in the USA for some reason). Just waiting on the head gasket and it'll go into the shop.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps727020fa.jpg
    Excellent. Valve cover gasket (not head gasket) remaining. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Very interesting read. Z3M is still one of my favorite BMWs of all time!!
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Decided to do a small DIY replacement today. I received my new throttle cable a few days ago and I decided to install it myself. Read through some threads and I knew it would be straight forward so I decided to go for it. You will need good lighting and the right tools since its a very tight area.

The cable
    Click here to enlarge

How everything looked before I started.
    Click here to enlarge

Once I got the plastic pieces removed
    Click here to enlarge

The main issue with this exercise is releasing the cable from the bulkhead. Once its off, the rest is easy. This is the hard piece to release
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I adjusted the new cable to the same tension as the previous one and passed it through. Thats it! I put everything back and wiped everything clean.
    Click here to enlarge

The rubber bushing which fits into the accelerator was completely melted so I'll need to replace it, otherwise everything is smooth as silk. My 5 year old depressed the accelerator fully so I could make sure the cable was adjusted correctly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Haha, that's awesome you have a little helper Click here to enlarge

Those pedals look great too!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Decided to do a small DIY replacement today. I received my new throttle cable a few days ago and I decided to install it myself. Read through some threads and I knew it would be straight forward so I decided to go for it. You will need good lighting and the right tools since its a very tight area.

The cable
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...38190000-1.jpg

The main issue with this exercise is releasing the cable from the bulkhead. Once its off, the rest is easy. This is the hard piece to release

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im..._zps24d8-1.jpg

I adjusted the new cable to the same tension as the previous one and passed it through. Thats it! I put everything back and wiped everything clean.

The rubber bushing which fits into the accelerator was completely melted so I'll need to replace it, otherwise everything is smooth as silk. My 5 year old depressed the accelerator fully so I could make sure the cable was adjusted correctly.
    Excellent post and good work brother. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

The cable

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im..._zps24d8-1.jpg

Good job! Repped.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Small update - received my custom boot struts today.. they look good.. will probably do a DIY install this week.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

they look good.. will probably do a DIY install this week.
    Looking forward to seeing it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Small update - received my custom boot struts today.. they look good.. will probably do a DIY install this week.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...20810000-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...20810000-1.jpg
    Come on bro time for you to bring it in again Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Come on bro time for you to bring it in again Click here to enlarge
    Waiting on you to give me the green light on the parts that your guys ordered Click here to enlarge I received everything already

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Waiting on you to give me the green light on the parts that your guys ordered Click here to enlarge I received everything already
    In that case I shall call you tomorrow bro Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Managed to install the struts in 5 minutes.. easy job..

This is the old strut.. first step is to use a flathead screwdriver to remove the metals clips seen here:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

The new struts have a different metal clip design
    Click here to enlarge

I removed one strut and replaced it with a new one, then did the other one. One of the new struts is strong enough to hold the trunk open.
    Click here to enlarge

Repeat the same procedure on the other side and you're done.
    Click here to enlarge

You need a little more umph to close the trunk now, and it opens smoothly, but I feel like the new struts are longer than the old ones so they put some upward pressure on the trunk hinges. Hopefully this will be sorted once they are broken-in.

Also bought the rubber piece which holds the accelerator pedal side of the a accelerator cable. The old one was completely worn out.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Looks great bro.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Looks great bro.
    Thanks.. did your guys get the parts? The stuff I ordered arrived in just over a week.. if they didn't order then I'll go get the parts so we can start the work

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Thanks.. did your guys get the parts? The stuff I ordered arrived in just over a week.. if they didn't order then I'll go get the parts so we can start the work
    Yes Parts all here Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Managed to install the struts in 5 minutes.. easy job..

This is the old strut.. first step is to use a flathead screwdriver to remove the metals clips seen here:
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...28320000-1.jpg

The new struts have a different metal clip design

I removed one strut and replaced it with a new one, then did the other one. One of the new struts is strong enough to hold the trunk open.

Repeat the same procedure on the other side and you're done.

You need a little more umph to close the trunk now, and it opens smoothly, but I feel like the new struts are longer than the old ones so they put some upward pressure on the trunk hinges. Hopefully this will be sorted once they are broken-in.

Also bought the rubber piece which holds the accelerator pedal side of the a accelerator cable. The old one was completely worn out.
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...28080000-1.jpg
    Doesn't look that bad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Doesn't look that bad.
    Too easy..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast