Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

N54 blown turbo *pics inside*

So here's what caused the "no boost" situation on my car a couple months ago. After some unfructuous troubleshooting (suspected a wastegate operating problem) the car would start to smoke blueish out of the exhaust. By then I figured it was a perfect time to put in RB Turbos Click here to enlargeSo when the shop pulled the stockers, here's what they found:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Seems as if it ingested something that damaged the blades of the turbo...good choice to switch to RBs!

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like FOD to me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yep, that's the problem alright.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry to hear about the problem but thank you for the great pics.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Something definitely went through that blender!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

0 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You'll need a trans upgrade for RBs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ouch. Sorry to see. Congrats on the RBs!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    You'll need a trans upgrade for RBs
    Dosent that depend on how much boost you run..

Go back to E90post you fit in better their.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like the fans bit off more than they could chew. Nice pics op, enjoy the new turbos!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge

Let's see if he can go 3 for 3 with thread bans
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rear turbo, very common. Your intake tube came off and it sucked something in. We are shipping a bracket to positively hold the tube on with all our hybrids.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes definitely looks like it chewed something up. Hard to imagine though how that could have happened. When chasing the supposed boost leak the circuit looked closed.

Thankfully the car is running great right now and I already had gotten the RBs in the past summer. Perfect occasion to put them in. And without meth the tranny should hold up,although I'll have to get a newer tranny (Car is pre-03/07) to fully unlock the potential.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Rear turbo, very common. Your intake tube came off and it sucked something in. We are shipping a bracket to positively hold the tube on with all our hybrids.
    Tony can you send me one? Pm me with a price..please Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge

Does it? Click here to enlarge RB's spool so much faster than OEM, no matter how much boost you run. Look how fast the vehicle builds boost, and how fast it revs. You expect an auto to handle this?:

Nice troll bait post, masked as a question.
    Last edited by Turkeybaster115; 03-02-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Thankfully the car is running great right now and I already had gotten the RBs in the past summer. Perfect occasion to put them in. And without meth the tranny should hold up,although I'll have to get a newer tranny (Car is pre-03/07) to fully unlock the potential.
    If you're referring to that flash, I don't think there is any concrete evidence that it will do anything to preserve the trans when, the manufacturers input torque is exceeded by that much. Heck, it hasn't solved the 4th to 5th gear shift issues with the singles to my knowledge so far, nor provided faster acceleration times. Just changes shift feel, and gauge displays.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Let's see if he can go 3 for 3 with thread bans
    Lets see if I'll ever respond to you're troll baits again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Does it? Click here to enlarge RB's spool so much faster than OEM, no matter how much boost you run. Look how fast the vehicle builds boost, and how fast it revs. You expect an auto to handle this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yot0fypvUQo

Nice troll bait post, masked as a question.
    You obviously have never owned RB's. They're actually a hair laggier than stock turbos. And as long as you're not brake boost launching the $#@! out of the car over and over, the transmission can hold up for quite a long time. Plus, they're cheap now. I think everyone here understands the phrase "pay to play".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lets see if I'll ever respond to you're troll baits again.
    please never respond again

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    You obviously have never owned RB's. They're actually a hair laggier than stock turbos. And as long as you're not brake boost launching the $#@! out of the car over and over, the transmission can hold up for quite a long time. Plus, they're cheap now. I think everyone here understands the phrase "pay to play".
    Thank you for actual information.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Oh, I also want this bracket. It always bothers me that the rear turbo intake tube is so loose. Easy DIY on the lift since that is easily accessible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you're referring to that flash, I don't think there is any concrete evidence that it will do anything to preserve the trans when, the manufacturers input torque is exceeded by that much. Heck, it hasn't solved the 4th to 5th gear shift issues with the singles to my knowledge so far, nor provided faster acceleration times. Just changes shift feel, and gauge displays.
    Again, you have obviously never driven a 6AT with the Alpina flash so you are making baseless comments with no merit.

I also have not driven a 6AT with the flash, but I'm not the one making comments on something that I've ever experienced

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Again, you have obviously never driven a 6AT with the Alpina flash so you are making baseless comments with no merit.

I also have not driven a 6AT with the flash, but I'm not the one making comments on something that I've ever experienced
    Comments are based on Zero 6AT singles signing up for shift sector, and zero posts from the guy who promised to give us acceleration before and after data from the flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

The single turbos aren't the only N54's with 6ATs --- So the facts still remain, the Alpina flash offers a significant upgrade over the OEM Trans Software. Faster, smoother shifts, that give advance timing in EVERY gear. In addition, the 6ATs on Single Turbos have it easier than the 6ATs on RB Turbo/Vargas Stage 2-3s. Why? Because ST's create significantly less low end TQ (which as a protective measure, the trans software was forcing a flat lining of the timing to protect itself) than Twin Turbos.

Wrong -- RBs have OEM like spool characteristics until ~4k RPMs where they get a power surge & you can really enjoy the raised boost.

And at least my "troll bait" positively contributes to the community, you're just the annoying guy who thinks he knows everything but continues to spread misleading information that you're pulling out of your ass.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    And at least my "troll bait" positively contributes to the community, you're just the annoying guy who thinks he knows everything but continues to spread misleading information that you're pulling out of your ass.
    I agree. @Turkeybaster115, what's your real problem? I've seen you post informative posts before and then go on a triad of full retard.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rear turbo, very common.
    Getting back to topic here, and to respond, Tony, I do not think this was the rear turbo in the OP's case. The way I figure is.. iirc, the actuator sits inside (toward engine block) on the front turbo while the rear has the actuator on the other side of the housing, toward the fender. I remember that the case because on stock turbos, we would get 'rattle'. To fix it (in my and some other's case) you just tighten up the rear actuator rod (front was too hard to access because it's tucked in) and the noise went away. Had to fab a custom tool for the job tho, lol. But maybe the picture is so close I am mistaken as to which side is the engine block.
    Last edited by oddjob2021; 03-02-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast