Close

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Stage 2 betas are starting to ship tomorrow. Stage 3 tuning continues this weekend. Have a Dyno trip scheduled on Tuesday to get the 91 numbers.
    Please, please tell us you have a baseline!!!
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Few pictures of the housings before final assembly, Waste gate bore need to be opened to fit bigger shaft flapper and arms welded and that's about it. Should be completed Monday morning. I could have rushed them out today but I never like to rush things. No goood will come of it. Shipping today compared to Monday just means one day delivery difference. Looking forward to getting these out to you guys. You can see we not only had the housings machined to accept the bigger wheel, we also had the waste gate port enlarged quite a bit to aid in top end flow, we had our flapper made oversize to take advantage of these bigger waste gate ports. You can see the difference next to the stock sized flapper. All these small things will hopefully help improve exhaust flow even if its slightly as these things need all the help they can get.
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 03-08-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome work Tony!!
    E92 FBO Cobb stage 2+

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Legit.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tony, good choice removing the dividing wall. It blocks a significant part of the turbine if material is not removed with an upgraded chra. Boring out the wastegate port is cool too, first time I've heard/seen it done on our platform Click here to enlarge Makes sense anyway.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    Tony, good choice removing the dividing wall. It blocks a significant part of the turbine if material is not removed with an upgraded chra. Boring out the wastegate port is cool too, first time I've heard/seen it done on our platform Click here to enlarge Makes sense anyway.
    Really, RBs are not like this? Cool!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    porting the wastegates is common on 4G63 platforms...used to do it all the time..dont know why it never struck me as to question why we cant do it on here lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks very promising!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    Just curious if there was a baseline dyno at the same place?
    bump
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    porting the wastegates is common on 4G63 platforms...used to do it all the time..dont know why it never struck me as to question why we cant do it on here lol
    Typically it's done for more boost control. In the 4G63 world, boost creep is common as the exhaust pressures cannot be bled fast enough from the 6cm2 and 7cm2 housings used from the factory (when large HP increases were made). The N54 hasn't had that issue yet. Boring a wastegete / increasing wastegate size doesn't increase HP, though. I wish it did, because then we could all run tiny A/R's for quick spool, and a huge wastegate for top end exhaust flow.

EDIT: Since these turbo housings are totally maxed out on flow, I am curious to see if additional exhaust can be bled off without lowering max boost. I think the nozzle area needs to be opened up to increase flow while keeping turbo RPM's up, though.
    Last edited by Eleventeen; 03-09-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So any updates on numbers from tuning at all? My wastegates are about shot, I need new snails soon. I am trying to hold off on RB's for either your stage 2 or stage 3 set up. But don't know how long I can Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Typically it's done for more boost control. In the 4G63 world, boost creep is common as the exhaust pressures cannot be bled fast enough from the 6cm2 and 7cm2 housings used from the factory (when large HP increases were made). The N54 hasn't had that issue yet. Boring a wastegete / increasing wastegate size doesn't increase HP, though. I wish it did, because then we could all run tiny A/R's for quick spool, and a huge wastegate for top end exhaust flow.

EDIT: Since these turbo housings are totally maxed out on flow, I am curious to see if additional exhaust can be bled off without lowering max boost. I think the nozzle area needs to be opened up to increase flow while keeping turbo RPM's up, though.
    The reason we ported the wastgate opening has absolutely nothing to do with boost creep. We did it because in the high RPM, high back pressure scenario the DME is going to be cycling the gates but they will open quite a bit to control the boost at such high exhaust velocity. Our hope is by opening the port, we can evacuate more exhaust gases and help lessen the back pressure these things are plagued with. As I said earlier, on these little guys every little bit helps. We were not happy to just leave well enough alone and do the minimum to get them out the door. All these little extra things are what lead up the delays but hopefully in the end it will be worth it. We shall see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Anxiously waiting!Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe a silly question, but how much does it cost to swap old turbo for your stage 2 / 3?

Any estimates from any of you guys from Toronto are greatly appreciated Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Harvey_Spector Click here to enlarge
    Maybe a silly question, but how much does it cost to swap old turbo for your stage 2 / 3?

Any estimates from any of you guys from Toronto are greatly appreciated Click here to enlarge
    Stage 2 is like stock so 10-16 hrs of shop time depending on the shop.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Local shop charges $800 for stock frame turbos (stage 1 & 2).
    FBO / HFS-4 / Cobb PTF tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Give Ivo a call on Monday,@ (416) 882-1439 he works on Dzenno and my BMW, but I can't tell you what he charges because he will be installing all of my mods all at the same time. He will tell you cost and what is needed to do it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    The reason we ported the wastgate opening has absolutely nothing to do with boost creep. We did it because in the high RPM, high back pressure scenario the DME is going to be cycling the gates but they will open quite a bit to control the boost at such high exhaust velocity. Our hope is by opening the port, we can evacuate more exhaust gases and help lessen the back pressure these things are plagued with. As I said earlier, on these little guys every little bit helps. We were not happy to just leave well enough alone and do the minimum to get them out the door. All these little extra things are what lead up the delays but hopefully in the end it will be worth it. We shall see.
    This may allow us to not taper so much on the top end as well, no?
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by redlineryder Click here to enlarge
    Local shop charges $800 for stock frame turbos (stage 1 & 2).
    $#@! that's a good deal
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    10-16 hrs of shop time depending on the shop.
    Despite what BMW's log book tells them to charge, it does not take anywhere close to 16 hours to swap stage 1/2 turbo's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So any actual relevant updates here on stage 3 tuning?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 Click here to enlarge
    Despite what BMW's log book tells them to charge, it does not take anywhere close to 16 hours to swap stage 1/2 turbo's.
    Most likely why he said 10-16. We charge a flat rate of $1500 for install. That is 12 hours of shop time for us. But we take our time and always drop the sub frame make sure everything is done right. Trying to rush through these and leave the sub frame in a recipe for poor install IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idriveslo Click here to enlarge
    So any actual relevant updates here on stage 3 tuning?
    You're in the wrong thread for Stage 3 tuning updates: http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...on-intrusively!
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    You're in the wrong thread for Stage 3 tuning updates: http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...on-intrusively!
    That seems like a pretty generic thread for everyone tuning non stock turbos... Not reading 94 pages of $#@! to get one post update from vargas.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast