Close

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    The limit here is fueling, not dynamic compression.
    Completely agree, fueling needs a solution before we look into dropping compression.

Either way, m/s5x needed a LC head gasket to go over 18psi safely. No one really knows how much boost the n54 will take from a set of stage 3's before it pops.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

9 out of 9 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Tony.

Thanks for the kind words. It’s a tough audience out there sometimes so your words are appreciated. Glad to see your almost there.

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CannonFodder Click here to enlarge
    Completely agree, fueling needs a solution before we look into dropping compression.

Either way, m/s5x needed a LC head gasket to go over 18psi safely. No one really knows how much boost the n54 will take from a set of stage 3's before it pops.
    My point is, if we want to build a motor that makes upwards of 800 HP and we do, the engine needs to be addressed. You can argue that it doesn't all day, that's your choice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    My point is, if we want to build a motor that makes upwards of 800 HP and we do, the engine needs to be addressed. You can argue that it doesn't all day, that's your choice.
    Agreed, but first I think we need to be able to flow enough fuel for 800hp without a dozen meth nozzles Click here to enlarge I was reading about the long rod motors in the EVO world the other day; how cool would it be to get something similar on the N54 as a built block? I dunno if there's enough interest in this platform to get us that far though :/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I was reading about the long rod motors in the EVO world the other day; how cool would it be to get something similar on the N54 as a built block?
    Links?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

http://m.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=609788

not sure it applies to an n54. This took experimentation in the Evo world. N54s cost a whole lot more money. Not sure you'll find anyone willing to try this out. The first pistons for the first LR setup were custom to fit on the longer rods. It all paid off in the end but that doesn't mean it applies to all platforms. There has been no evidence of side loading on this motor
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    http://m.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=609788

not sure it applies to an n54. This took experimentation in the Evo world. N54s cost a whole lot more money. Not sure you'll find anyone willing to try this out. The first pistons for the first LR setup were custom to fit on the longer rods. It all paid off in the end but that doesn't mean it applies to all platforms. There has been no evidence of side loading on this motor
    Well it wasn't just for the side-loading was it? It also increased the rod/stroke ratio and decreased the maximum rod angle vs the centerline; all of which increase durability for higher rpm operation. It'd be cool to do dzenno-style headwork, appropriate cams (none exist that I know of), and then have the short-block made to keep up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

It'd be cool to do dzenno-style headwork, appropriate cams (none exist that I know of), and then have the short-block made to keep up.
    Cams are so way away in the future for N54. The HPF/Turbo E46 M3s might be getting cams soon, only after ~7 years of the HPF kits R&D on the S54 and every other internal being upgraded. You can get custom heads from VAC or done by any reputable motor shop, and the same goes with ordering forged pistons (with any different compression ratio) and forged rods. IF you really wanna be that aggressive, I'm sure you could find someone trustworthy/skilled enough to sleeve the block and really push the limits.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Cams are so way away in the future for N54. The HPF/Turbo E46 M3s might be getting cams soon, only after ~7 years of the HPF kits R&D on the S54 and every other internal being upgraded. You can get custom heads from VAC or done by any reputable motor shop, and the same goes with ordering forged pistons (with any different compression ratio) and forged rods. IF you really wanna be that aggressive, I'm sure you could find someone trustworthy/skilled enough to sleeve the block and really push the limits.
    Agreed. Cams are about as far in the future as sleeved blocks and long-rod motors Click here to enlarge The stock E46 M3 cams run a much more aggressive lobe/duration/lift than the N54 I'm pretty sure; though it will be a while before we see them (if ever), but the N54 stands to gain from them 'sooner' than the S54 did in its lifecycle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

but the N54 stands to gain from them 'sooner' than the S54 did in its lifecycle.
    It helps that the N54 came turbo'd from the factory, and the S54 had to undergo a lot of R&D just to forced induction

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CannonFodder Click here to enlarge
    Explain please. I saw the thread about the head-work, but what else has he done to lower the compression?

I was surprised when I got into the n54 scene that no one has come up with a lower compression head gasket/APR headstud combination. It works very well with the m5x/s5x platform. And considering the internals are already forged, going this route seems logical for higher boost.
    are there no n54 headstuds OTS>?

What would you gain from dropping the compression? The limit here is fueling, not dynamic compression. And the static compression isn't THAT high, it's just 10.2:1. Most PI turbo cars I see generally run 9:1 or 9.5:1.
    morre timing can be run. more boost too... all on lower octane.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

you've always been able to get cams for the S54 though. there's quite few options.. or you could just order anything from schrick?

and you don't need to sleeve the N54 block, it comes with cast iron cylinder liners already

personally, regardless of anything else, i'm going ported heads with new valves and lowered comp pistons with forged rods.. because i can, i guess lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    you've always been able to get cams for the S54 though. there's quite few options.. or you could just order anything from schrick?
    But those are N/A cams (just like on the S65), they're not F/I cams

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    personally, regardless of anything else, i'm going ported heads with new valves and lowered comp pistons with forged rods.. because i can, i guess lol
    And why not, modding beyond the norm is 1/2 the fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Sometimes I just feel like getting a newer white manual e46 m3 and turbo-ing that fuker.

Seems like an easier road to go down. lol

sorry back on topic.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

But those are N/A cams (just like on the S65), they're not F/I cams

And why not, modding beyond the norm is 1/2 the fun.
    and the only thing you want to cut for FI (mostly) would be any overlap isn't it?

haha yeah, well, the rods too because i don't want to be the person who finds out when stock ones snap (just in case), and pistons to make tuning silly easy Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

STG3+lower compression forged rods/pistons+VAC heads= helluva streetsweeper on pumpgas
    do that and deal with fuel system later. Thanks to shiv, we dont know for sure where fuel runs out and meth is NEEDED. but lets say we can support 575 rwhp with no meth. if you do the above, you can have that on tap all the time, and raise the power when fuel options become more readily available

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    Sometimes I just feel like getting a newer white manual e46 m3 and turbo-ing that fuker.

Seems like an easier road to go down. lol

sorry back on topic.
    In 10 years, people who are trying to tune the next gen M3/M4 will be saying the same things about the N54. It's just the cyclical pattern of dated platforms having more R&D (exposing more of their potential) than the newer stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

only difference is that the new m3 will share quite a few parts because of the fact that its FI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

@VargasTurboTech

Give us a mini stage 3 tuning update Click here to enlarge

Pweese, even if its just a "nothing new has happened"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bx tt3 Click here to enlarge
    only difference is that the new m3 will share quite a few parts because of the fact that its FI
    Chances are the only thing it'll share is the fact that it's twin turbo'd & a straight six. Other than that, it's more than likely the new M3/M4 will be a hybrid of the N55 (VANOS with Valvetronic, etc) and S63 Tu (air/water intercooled). AND like everything BMW, the DME is going to be a bigger headache then it's predecessors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    @VargasTurboTech

Give us a mini stage 3 tuning update Click here to enlarge

Pweese, even if its just a "nothing new has happened"
    Me and Dzenno are on our 10th revision of the 91 map, were going really slow and just feeling in out. Honestly I have been super busy and we could have been way further along if not for that. One night we had dedicated to tuning, 3rd pull serpentine belt started coming apart, ending that night. This weekend I am in LA for my birthday so no tuning, we will jump back on it Sunday when I get back. But honestly things already look promising.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Me and Dzenno are on our 10th revision of the 91 map, were going really slow and just feeling in out. Honestly I have been super busy and we could have been way further along if not for that. One night we had dedicated to tuning, 3rd pull serpentine belt started coming apart, ending that night. This weekend I am in LA for my birthday so no tuning, we will jump back on it Sunday when I get back. But honestly things already look promising.
    Great news to hear that you guys are deep into the tuning (10 revisions) and would be further along without the headaches. Happy Birthday also

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

^Awesome news, if there are any HUGE problems tuning wise i would expect them to surface sooner rather than later.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    ^Awesome news, if there are any HUGE problems tuning wise i would expect them to surface sooner rather than later.
    Tuning hasn't really shown any problems at all. D is amazed at how well it takes any tuning without issue. There has been minor mechanical problems, such as the belt, bad relay, etc that have caused more delays then tuning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

... There has been minor mechanical problems, such as the belt, bad relay, etc that have caused more delays then tuning.
    Same $#@! happens to some of us (me too).
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast