Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Aquamist HFS-4, DCI and PTF tune

My car before the install was 100% stock with a Cobb PTF 94 octane tune. I'm still under extended warranty so this setup was perfect and made good power. It's crazy how just changing the software can wake this car up. However, like so many of you already know, it's never enough and I wanted more.

I didn't want to install catless downpipes or an aftermarket intercooler because of possible hassle from the dealer, I figure they will see removing of emissions equipment worse than some funny lines going into the charge pipe Click here to enlarge

I ordered the following:
    - Aquamist HFS-4
    - Howerton Engineering 2.2 gal. tank enclosure
    - (2) Aquamist adapters for silicone/rubber hose
    - HP Autowerks silicone meth elbow
    - BMS DCI

Dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks is local to me and was nice enough to tackle the lengthy install. I wanted the install to be clean and DZ kept me updated throughout the day. I dropped the car off early Saturday morning and came by early evening to see it finished. We hit the road for some tuning afterwards. It was a long day and I appreciate the work he did, it turned out great.

I haven't had a chance to dyno it yet since I'm on snow tires but plan to see what it puts down once the summers are on. I can say that the meth + DCI has smoothed out the power band and now it pulls well past 5,000 rpm whereas before it felt like it was falling flat on it's face, it also sounds alot better with the added timingClick here to enlarge

I've had the setup running for just over a month now and wanted to wait before doing a review. No regrets, the install is clean and runs flawlessly. The failsafe is cool and turning the gauge off acts like a quick valet mode. I also ordered some black wire cover to put over the meth lines in the engine bay to make it look cleaner.

Disregard the grim in the pictures, we Canadians are subjected to alot of $#@! on our roads.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

I plan to install some M3 rear suspension bits next, aftermarket clutch then DP/intercooler and retune.
    FBO / HFS-4 / Cobb PTF tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice clean setup, running meth in the winter like a true canuck Click here to enlarge
    I like the placement of everything, especially the gauge Click here to enlarge
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks clean man, nicely done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Lesson learned: quick connects suck and will never be used again Click here to enlarge appreciate the review..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Lesson learned: quick connects suck and will never be used again Click here to enlarge appreciate the review..
    Which quick connects do you mean? Do you wire directly into the cpu? I've got an HFS-4 thats just been sitting dying to be installed lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They don't come with the kit..just something i tried using to save time tapping wires but ended up wasting at least 3 hours because of them in the end troubleshooting Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    Nice clean setup, running meth in the winter like a true canuck Click here to enlarge
    I like the placement of everything, especially the gauge Click here to enlarge
    I think its difficult to follow the flow closely from down there. I would prefer hijacking the speedo when needed. Even cleaner "install" Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    They don't come with the kit..just something i tried using to save time tapping wires but ended up wasting at least 3 hours because of them in the end troubleshooting Click here to enlarge
    I only used these (LINK) to tap, and tie wires together, best ever, pricey, but well worth it.
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Lesson learned: quick connects suck and will never be used again.
    Yes they do. They shouldn't be allowed to be sold.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Totally agree, they suck....I will have nothing but stainless steel and 4-AN. I battled with a coolmist system for 2 weeks with air, leaks ect...damn thing kept leaking like crazy and screwed up my Dyno. I pulled up to a dumpster....took out the pump and the rest wint in the dumpster. I was furious lol!!
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Yes they do. They shouldn't be allowed to be sold.
    agreed! Accident waiting to happen!
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Love that tank!!! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have the same setup (HSF4 with the Howerton Engineering 2.2 gal. tank enclosure) and Love it..!!

I was getting tired of 5 gal containers of meth so I picked up a 55gal drum of pure methanol..
    $45 for 5gal container or $190 for $55gal drum.. You do the mathClick here to enlarge
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ that's sweet. I want a 55 gallon drum but I live in a condo and don't want it next to my BBQ on the balcony lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by redlineryder Click here to enlarge
    ^ that's sweet. I want a 55 gallon drum but I live in a condo and don't want it next to my BBQ on the balcony lol
    Click here to enlarge
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How did you set up the failsafe? Does it automatically switch to valet mode if there is a problem, or do you have to manually turn off the gauge?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by skim7x Click here to enlarge
    How did you set up the failsafe? Does it automatically switch to valet mode if there is a problem, or do you have to manually turn off the gauge?
    The failsafe works in both those situations, DZ can provide more insight on the settings.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I cannot speak for DZ or Redlineryder, but my HSF-4 is set-up so that when the failsafe triggers, its opens the wastegates and i lose all boost. If i turn the gauge off, it disables meth injection completely, but doest interfere with the wastegates.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I cannot speak for DZ or Redlineryder, but my HSF-4 is set-up so that when the failsafe triggers, its opens the wastegates and i lose all boost. If i turn the gauge off, it disables meth injection completely, but doest interfere with the wastegates.
    This is my understanding as well, however the same applies when I turn off the gauge. If the gauge is off and you go WOT what happens? I don't produce any boost

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    Totally agree, they suck....I will have nothing but stainless steel and 4-AN. I battled with a coolmist system for 2 weeks with air, leaks ect...damn thing kept leaking like crazy and screwed up my Dyno. I pulled up to a dumpster....took out the pump and the rest wint in the dumpster. I was furious lol!!
    It was actually these "wire" quick connects (not tubing) that allow you to tap a wire without splicing or cutting. Initially used 4 of them and all 4 I had to pull out as they weren't providing a solid connection and kept disconnecting.

Aquamist kit uses compression fittings everywhere 100% leak proof unlike the typical DevilsOwn or Coolingmist fittings. I had those push-lock type Coolingmist fittings and they leaked everywhere and always made me worry about leaks and I always had to deal with ANNOYING priming and repriming. I'll never run them again. Not surprised at all you threw the kit in the trash as I felt the same running the cmgs kit more than once. It wasn't just the fittings leaking, the flow sensor would work on and off, fittings at the solenoid would leak no matter how perfectly flat you cut the tubing. There was just no way to fix it and I had it on my car for 2 years before giving up on it and pulling the trigger on the HFS-4. I initially ran it with the washer fluid tank setup with which I also had issues only to switch it out again for a trunk mounted baffled tank setup with the pump and tank in a single enclosure and having the pump nicely gravity fed with the shortest line possible between the tank and the pump. Never a single issue again after.

HFS-4 will ground the signal line going to the wastegate solenoids which effectively opens wastegates and dumps any boost when there's a flow condition present (e.g. low tank level, flow below minimum, flow above maximum).

In terms of the gauge you have two modes of operation:

1) Default is you turn the gauge off and the failsafe activates. This grounds the wg solenoid signal and keeps the wastegates open causing your car to drive around in sort of valet mode (i.e. no boost possible). Hit the button on the meth gauge and the system becomes active and allows boost to happen IF meth flows as it should. If it doesn't it triggers the failsafe again.

2) The other mode is if you turn the gauge off it lets you still run the tune without triggering the failsafe with the gauge off. It basically serves the purpose of just turning the meth injection off if you don't need it without impacting tune operation. Obviously, this is not recommended on cars whose tuning is dependent on meth/water injection for octane or fuel as it'd start to knock. However, if you're using methanol/water injection on a car to just control IATs, small nozzle, and don't depend on it as much as we typically do for fueling/octane then this is a nice feature to have access to.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    This would be option 2 above.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Correct, i went with Option #2. I wanted the ability to turn off meth injection for situations when i wanted to run a non meth map. Also wanted the ability to just flash to a non meth map if im running low on meth and dont have any readily available.

I ran out of meth once and driving the car without boost for a day REALLY sucked.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have it set up for ultimo fuel saver mode when you turn the gauge off, wastegates open.

No turbo's + stage 0 = gas for days

Great for highways, i get 29+mpg