Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

I have no clue what to do...All Inputs welcomed.

Well right now I am in Afghanistan, finishing up a 6 month deployment. Im a reservist so I will go home after this and start my life again if you will. I just need some help. Before I left I had completed some college and I will be going back to my state college, to get my AA then move on from there. Im only 30 credits shy, of it and 15 of those are electives. So getting my AA shouldnt be so hard if I set a goal and stick to it (my biggest issue).

When I came on deployment I had a few goals. I have paid off my truck, paid my folks back the inital bit to help me get the truck, and save some money. Well I have a set number to keep in bank and the plan is for that to grow. Yes Im still trying to build a nice turbo car but I realize that will take time and that is one thing I am patient about. I do not have any debt, besides my Amex which has a low limit, so paying it off month to month is no big deal.

My biggest issue, is I have no CLUE what I want to do with my life. I really want to make something out of myself and be successful. I would like to maybe have a house by 25. I do have a civilian job @ Costco, its a great company, but they just wont give me hours. Im still part time and my schedule is random and well I hate that part of it. I want to make money, and live life.

Im an Autocad drafter in the Navy Reserve, its simple drawings like B-Huts and what not so there is details but no a whole lot. Is a job like this a good open job in the civilian world? Or should I be leaning on the IT side of the house.

My biggest fear is that I will fall in a down whirl spiral and just not end up well if I dont get a plan together right now. I am only 21 though, I have my whole life ahead of me. I just want to make sure Im making the right choices.

-Moose

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You're 21, don't stress. I don't know who has their life figured out at 21.

It will just come naturally, relax.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Like Sticky said, don't worry too much. Sounds like you have a solid financial plan, this is very important. Live within your means.

I know there's drafting jobs in the aerospace and defense industry if that's something that interests you, and a lot of the companies like to hire vets.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by All Motor Click here to enlarge
    Well right now I am in Afghanistan, finishing up a 6 month deployment. Im a reservist so I will go home after this and start my life again if you will. I just need some help. Before I left I had completed some college and I will be going back to my state college, to get my AA then move on from there. Im only 30 credits shy, of it and 15 of those are electives. So getting my AA shouldnt be so hard if I set a goal and stick to it (my biggest issue).

When I came on deployment I had a few goals. I have paid off my truck, paid my folks back the inital bit to help me get the truck, and save some money. Well I have a set number to keep in bank and the plan is for that to grow. Yes Im still trying to build a nice turbo car but I realize that will take time and that is one thing I am patient about. I do not have any debt, besides my Amex which has a low limit, so paying it off month to month is no big deal.

My biggest issue, is I have no CLUE what I want to do with my life. I really want to make something out of myself and be successful. I would like to maybe have a house by 25. I do have a civilian job @ Costco, its a great company, but they just wont give me hours. Im still part time and my schedule is random and well I hate that part of it. I want to make money, and live life.

Im an Autocad drafter in the Navy Reserve, its simple drawings like B-Huts and what not so there is details but no a whole lot. Is a job like this a good open job in the civilian world? Or should I be leaning on the IT side of the house.

My biggest fear is that I will fall in a down whirl spiral and just not end up well if I dont get a plan together right now. I am only 21 though, I have my whole life ahead of me. I just want to make sure Im making the right choices.

-Moose
    get whatever courses you can through the navy, take all the distance learning you can. Hell, hop over to FEMA's Independent study program and knock out an assload of those courses, they are 1 SH for schools that take them (mine does). finish your degree, finish your degree, FINISH YOUR DEGREE. nothing you do in the military will put you above college graduates in this world, times have changed. having military experience USED to be above a degree as you had time and experience in actually doing the job. This is not the case any more. Having both sets you above the rest.
    as far as what job to do... thats on you man. do you like what you do? if so, get accredited. if not change that as well. do you like what you do and good at it? become an officer. i believe the enlisted-officer switch needs 60 credits to start and finish your bach's in like 4 years. you will make more $ up front, and on the back end and it would encompass all the other things for civilian career as well..

some say dont stress over, i agree, but i would say do something NOW, since im regretting not getting my degree 8 years ago.. id have a UGR lambo by now if i did..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, I look at it like this. Your concerns are all valid, and you should be stressing about it to some degree. I think you sound concerned in your post about your future which is a very good thing. Most 21 year olds kinda dont give a $#@! about their future because 'its long time away lulz', so you are a step ahead because you are thinking ahead. Get a degree, anything except liberal arts. Get a hard sciences or engineering degree, if you arent into the whole full time student thing, just learn a trade and get good at it then open up shop. Start a business, what do you enjoy in life? Sell what you enjoy (besides sex) and you can make money and feel good too.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge