Close

Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's probably the best idea, I just got a dedicated notebook for the car and installed NCSExper, INPA and WinKFP, now I need to do some reading on what each program actually does.

On a sidenote, I know you're not doing this for money but you should setup a paypal account and the people you help, let them contribute to your fund. Whether it's $5 or $25, you've been deeply involved and I'm sure people wouldn't mind showing their appreciation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    "Inherently subpar"? You have to be kidding, people are kicking out twice the torque and you expect a stock tranny to handle it. This isn't an american muscle car where they overbuild the drivetrain, the ZF tranny is holding up pretty good with the extra power all the modded cars are hitting.

And you sound like a kid thinking someone is thumbing their nose at you because he was pointing out the obvious. Its like as a kid if your friend gets a remote control car and shows you, it makes you mad because you don't have your own instead of just being happy for him.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    I went off, when he posted this crap:
    "I would think entirely different. A tuned car which increases HP and torque would inherently do more damage as the TCU is not calibrated for those power levels. The Alpina TCU mapping of the software does."

Kindda thumbing his nose at those of us who can't get the wonder flash. I've just been pointing out the inaccuracies of this statement. Just like his statement in my thread that the low temp thermostat I found, wasn't a low temp thermostat, but a malfunctioning termostat. In over a year, I'd think I'll know if my engine thermostat had "failed open". Click here to enlarge

Just be patient and don't worry about this stuff. If you have the $$ upgrade your trans to level 10, and get stronger metal components. Don't rely on software to fix inherently subpar hardware.

I've talked to cobb. They have TCU flashes for the GTR's DCT. They'll look into this, and if there is anything substancial, they've promised to provide flashes, matted to their maps.
    So after all that, you finally admit you're upset because you can't get the flash?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Wow. This is a nice find! Unfortunately, I won't have my e93 for much longer Click here to enlarge
    Too bad, I just returned Euro E93 LCI tails that would have looked lovely on your car Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Offers different displays, fixes some timing drop issues at shift, and has a different shift feel. Nothing major.
    Well considering I've always had timing drops when going into 4th, I'd say the upgrade would be well worth it for me if I can find somebody to do it in S. Florida.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    I agree. Sticky would you mind taking out deleting all the useless post from this thread.. Thanks a bunch

For those looking to do this flash. You should really clean out all the useless crap on the computer. While flashing if you have any type of interuptions whether you computer freezes you will be in big trouble. I only code or flash with a laptop thats dedicated only for this. I know many will try to flash themselves so be careful..
    We don't delete posts here.

Everyone just has to neg rep them until they aren't visible to people under 1000 rep points.... Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Turkeybaster -- This thread was setup to exclusively focus on the Alpina B3 TCM Flash. If you have nothing technical to contribute (like an OEM paddle or pre-03/07 solution), then don't post in here & derail the thread. If you wanna $#@! & moan, go into the 6AT Trans Upgrade thread (http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...pgrade-options) and throw some ideas around.

The bottom line is that there is no evidence that the Level10 or 517 trans upgrades will be any of sort of an upgrade and not just an OEM replacement/rebuild. I have all the confidence in the world in COBB, that's why I exclusively use their tune, and even I called them about the flat line fix months ago and unfortunately they still haven't developed a solution. If you want to keep waiting and hoping for a fix from COBB for both the flat line problem & the rough shifts, you do that. In the meantime, lots of people will turn the Alpina flash which has shown itself to be a realistic, currently available solution.

PS --
    Your claim about stronger components & not to rely on the software. In case you haven't noticed, upgrading the physical components is always the easier part, it's the software programming that makes everything difficult. Otherwise the DCTs would've had a viable upgrade by now with the SSP clutch packs.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ideal setup would be upgraded components from Level10 and then this TCU flash to smooth out shifts. Smoother shifts = happier transmission.

Hopefully COBB can decrypt the code for you pre 03/2007 cars. But there's no reason to hate on the lucky few who fall within the TCU flash-ability group.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I found some info about differences of MY paddle shifters: I am not great at wiring as computers! lol Maybe you guys can make some sense to this...

For pre-LCI paddles (applies to both SSG and DCT), obviously the paddles just short their 2 wires (or 2 pairs with common center in case of SSG). But when these 'shorts' are sent through the MF button circuits, they come out as 1k for upshifts and 0.33k for downshifts at the steering column (resistance between the 2 wires; maybe I should have measured true resistance of each...)

These 2 wires (terminals 2 and 4 on the clock spring connector) are then sent to terminals 35 and 52 in the junction box. This is where it gets interesting--junction box has different circuitry based on production date, changing at 03/07 and then again at 09/07. 03/07 production just about corresponds to the proven production cutoff for D-shifting ability.

I bought an 05/08 prod. junction box for cheap to see if it could finally work but have yet to code it, car seems to work with it installed however. I think that maybe with the proper VO option $2XA added to the newer-production junction box it could work...

I did see VO option on the 2009 that I coded for $2XA
    I am going to check my VO on my car when I get home from work to see if I have the $2TB on my car or the same $2XA

But this is still not proven if 2009 and up paddle shifter dont work...We need more people trying this to have conclusive data it indeed does not work...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I went off, when he posted this crap:
    "I would think entirely different. A tuned car which increases HP and torque would inherently do more damage as the TCU is not calibrated for those power levels. The Alpina TCU mapping of the software does."

Kindda thumbing his nose at those of us who can't get the wonder flash. I've just been pointing out the inaccuracies of this statement. Just like his statement in my thread that the low temp thermostat I found, wasn't a low temp thermostat, but a malfunctioning termostat. In over a year, I'd think I'll know if my engine thermostat had "failed open". Click here to enlarge

Just be patient and don't worry about this stuff. If you have the $$ upgrade your trans to level 10, and get stronger metal components. Don't rely on software to fix inherently subpar hardware.

I've talked to cobb. They have TCU flashes for the GTR's DCT. They'll look into this, and if there is anything substancial, they've promised to provide flashes, matted to their maps.
    Well at this point we don't know if the flash helps the tranny to endure better what we're throwing at it. A mechanical upgrade will most likely still be needed for the high hp guys. But it definitely improves on one inherent flaw of the stock 6AT, namely the rather slow shift speed. And that's all in the software. BMW just chose a more comfort setup while Alpina optimises stuff for sports driving.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I will be trying this over the weekend and have a built level 10 trans. so we will see how it goes. As ive stated before though level 10 says this hardware will break down eventually if no software upgrade is done. Also as stated in another thread level 10 feels like if your trans. is healthy the only upgrades really needed are software,torque converter and valve body.Just what was stated to me by Pat@Level 10. The rest of the parts are a upgrade over stock but not needed unless damage was already done to existing parts. By the way with no upgraded software my trans. is shifted very nicely now with no noticeable slippage or issues right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I found some info about differences of MY paddle shifters: I am not great at wiring as computers! lol Maybe you guys can make some sense to this...

For pre-LCI paddles (applies to both SSG and DCT), obviously the paddles just short their 2 wires (or 2 pairs with common center in case of SSG). But when these 'shorts' are sent through the MF button circuits, they come out as 1k for upshifts and 0.33k for downshifts at the steering column (resistance between the 2 wires; maybe I should have measured true resistance of each...)

These 2 wires (terminals 2 and 4 on the clock spring connector) are then sent to terminals 35 and 52 in the junction box. This is where it gets interesting--junction box has different circuitry based on production date, changing at 03/07 and then again at 09/07. 03/07 production just about corresponds to the proven production cutoff for D-shifting ability.

I bought an 05/08 prod. junction box for cheap to see if it could finally work but have yet to code it, car seems to work with it installed however. I think that maybe with the proper VO option $2XA added to the newer-production junction box it could work...

I am going to check my VO on my car when I get home from work to see if I have the $2TB on my car or the same $2XA

But this is still not proven if 2009 and up paddle shifter dont work...We need more people trying this to have conclusive data it indeed does not work...
    This would mean you are leaning towards it being coding related like I was thinking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jzeee037 Click here to enlarge
    I will be trying this over the weekend and have a built level 10 trans. so we will see how it goes. As ive stated before though level 10 says this hardware will break down eventually if no software upgrade is done. Also as stated in another thread level 10 feels like if your trans. is healthy the only upgrades really needed are software,torque converter and valve body.Just what was stated to me by Pat@Level 10. The rest of the parts are a upgrade over stock but not needed unless damage was already done to existing parts. By the way with no upgraded software my trans. is shifted very nicely now with no noticeable slippage or issues right now.
    we are 2 than going to do this upgrade. Intersting to see how the trans react with the new flash.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you already compare the coding before and after? On working and non working (pedals) cars?
    I assume the Alpina flash resets the config back to default.. might give glitches in certain siuations.. as stated before have had inter component issues before after updating.. recoding fixed in many cases...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    we are 2 than going to do this upgrade. Intersting to see how the trans react with the new flash.
    I'll help my buddy flash his 2010 535xi fully built Level 10 tranny with RB turbos, fbo, race gas. Looking to see what happens at higher than stock MAF/Load values once this is on his car. Currently with the OEM software it runs into torque limits and pulls timing. Hopefully it goes away after the flash. No paddles on this car.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Xearom3 Click here to enlarge
    Just drove to work this morning with the new flash. WOW. Overall feel of the trans has improved substantially. In manual mode, downshifts are crisp and much smoother and upshifts seem to be quicker and smoother as well. Overall a very good mod!

I still have limited seat time with the new flash but twice this morning, while in drive, the 3rd-4th shift happened almost immediately after the 2nd-3rd shift which put RPM's almost at idle (~1100rpm). Is there some sort of adaptation period? Will test more and try to log this afternoon. Will update with what I find.
    Noticed this as well on the freeway drive to work. In D mode the transmission is shifting at very low RPM. It does not seem problematic but it certainly works its way up through the gears faster.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    Yeah im excited.When will your car be ready? Also was curious did you ever get any info on cobb upgraded software? May be mistaken but i thought you were looking into it last year? Still need to find time and get with Rob Irish on this as im going to be using cobb and G5 iso for now and upgraded turbos should be coming sometime soon from vargas.It definately shifts better now and hopefully i can post some videos soon. Waiting on internet at my new house to be installed.It sucks using your phone to respond

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So it seems like the pre 03/07 transmissions are a bit different. Any possibility the TCU itself is different on thoese trannies, too? Would upgrading to a newer TCU with the pre 03/07 trans make the flash viable?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

That's fascinating that BMW didn't simply wire the paddle shifters to the transmission.

In the paddle shifter retrofit, the wires from the paddle shifter connect to a harness near the shifter in the center console. I kind of assumed that these wires ran directly to the mechatronics because the meachatronics has two inputs for up and down shifter. Here is that thread for reference.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361439

What you seem to be saying is the paddle shifters conenct to the junction box which interprets them and sends the appropriate CAN message over the PT-CAN bus.

If we could get some schematics for these cars, it would make things much more simple.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stangorang Click here to enlarge
    Noticed this as well on the freeway drive to work. In D mode the transmission is shifting at very low RPM. It does not seem problematic but it certainly works its way up through the gears faster.
    It's a lot more responsive to throttle input, if you're giving less than 50%, it def looks to get up in the gears while you're under 3k RPMs. If you're hammering the gas in regular drive, it'll hold gears accordingly. BUT if you're hammering it, DS or Manual Mode is def going to be better
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    So it seems like the pre 03/07 transmissions are a bit different. Any possibility the TCU itself is different on thoese trannies, too? Would upgrading to a newer TCU with the pre 03/07 trans make the flash viable?
    I think the TCU is what is different on those transmissions. ZF specifically lists different Mechatronics part number on it's application lists. The range for the first is 02/06-03/07 and the range for the second is 01/07 to 08/07. Unfortunately, the document contains no indication of when it was last revised.

I would like to try retrofiring my transmission from 10/06 with a post 03/07 mechatronics and see what happens.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RTA Click here to enlarge
    Did you already compare the coding before and after? On working and non working (pedals) cars?
    I assume the Alpina flash resets the config back to default.. might give glitches in certain siuations.. as stated before have had inter component issues before after updating.. recoding fixed in many cases...
    No i didnt...But like I said I have to look into it...Again need more people and feedback of newer models.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stangorang Click here to enlarge

Yes that what I experience but I will credit that to why the tranny feels so buttery smooth...I love it
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    That's fascinating that BMW didn't simply wire the paddle shifters to the transmission.

In the paddle shifter retrofit, the wires from the paddle shifter connect to a harness near the shifter in the center console. I kind of assumed that these wires ran directly to the mechatronics because the meachatronics has two inputs for up and down shifter. Here is that thread for reference.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361439

What you seem to be saying is the paddle shifters conenct to the junction box which interprets them and sends the appropriate CAN message over the PT-CAN bus.

If we could get some schematics for these cars, it would make things much more simple.
    If its wiring, this is where you will help with this...I hate wiring..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I think the TCU is what is different on those transmissions. ZF specifically lists different Mechatronics part number on it's application lists. The range for the first is 02/06-03/07 and the range for the second is 01/07 to 08/07. Unfortunately, the document contains no indication of when it was last revised.

I would like to try retrofiring my transmission from 10/06 with a post 03/07 mechatronics and see what happens.
    I wonder if anyone has tried reflashing the pre 03/07 to discover that it definitely won't work. If it hasn't been attempted, I would try it; but I don't want to brick my car.

Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast