Close

Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    It's a lot more responsive to throttle input, if you're giving less than 50%, it def looks to get up in the gears while you're under 3k RPMs. If you're hammering the gas in regular drive, it'll hold gears accordingly. BUT if you're hammering it, DS or Manual Mode is def going to be better
    Correct if in D mode if your cruising like grandma it will get up in gears rather quickly, but if your driving pretty aggressive it will hold gear drop longer and shifts later..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    I wonder if anyone has tried reflashing the pre 03/07 to discover that it definitely won't work. If it hasn't been attempted, I would try it; but I don't want to brick my car.
    Winkfp if you try to flash a car that is not hardware compatible, it will error out and not allow you to even proceed to the actual programming part...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stangorang Click here to enlarge
    Noticed this as well on the freeway drive to work. In D mode the transmission is shifting at very low RPM. It does not seem problematic but it certainly works its way up through the gears faster.
    Correct, in D it keeps rpms very low. I'm probably just not used to it.
    -'09 135i MT - Custom 6466 ST - 680whp Click here to enlarge
    -'08 135i AT - 6466 ST - dead
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    Winkfp if you try to flash a car that is not hardware compatible, it will error out and not allow you to even proceed to the actual programming part...
    Gotcha. So somone would actually have to modify the coding. I hope someone with access to a newer TCU tries to do a swap to see if that works. It would suck to have to change out the entire trans...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Gotcha. So somone would actually have to modify the coding. I hope someone with access to a newer TCU tries to do a swap to see if that works. It would suck to have to change out the entire trans...
    I am assuming WinKFP reads UIF (user info field) the old assembly line ZUSB number to distinguish what transmission model is in the car and with this assembly line data know for instance X or y variable is not allowed and rejects it and errors out
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    actually you can force it. @franzzz did it and got lots of malfunction lights and the trans did not want to get in gear.
    You can than just reflash and all is good.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

It looks like the TCU is actually located INSIDE of the trans with the mechantronic assembly. Info on page 6 here:

http://www.europeantransmissions.com...W/6HP19bmw.pdf

That's weird. What a harsh environment to put a control module...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Isn't the N55 DME built into the engine? These aren't ideal locations, but I'm sure BMW has their reasons (like making aftermarket tuning unnecessarily difficult)
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So anyone in Atlanta area done this flash? I'd be interested. Found out my car is a 05/07 production... So should be good to go!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

I know it's still early, but has anyone with the Alpina TCM flash using the COBB tune switched maps to make sure the TCM software doesn't get affected???

I don't see why there should be any complications because the DME engine parameters are completely independent from the TCM settings, so as long as you're using a map without any transmission adjustments it shuld be fine.

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

I dont see why it would effect anything..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

It looks like the TCU is actually located INSIDE of the trans with the mechantronic assembly. Info on page 6 here:

You should put that in the 6HP21 sticky. That last page is a gold mine and shows for certain that the paddle shifters connect to the JBE, which routes the signals to the EGS via the PT-CAN bus. It also shows the switches for gear+ and gear- on the shifter itself also route through the JBE. Great find.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    You should put that in the 6HP21 sticky. That last page is a gold mine and shows for certain that the paddle shifters connect to the JBE, which routes the signals to the EGS via the PT-CAN bus. It also shows the switches for gear+ and gear- on the shifter itself also route through the JBE. Great find.
    Done

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    I went off, when he posted this crap:
    "I would think entirely different. A tuned car which increases HP and torque would inherently do more damage as the TCU is not calibrated for those power levels. The Alpina TCU mapping of the software does."

Kindda thumbing his nose at those of us who can't get the wonder flash. I've just been pointing out the inaccuracies of this statement. Just like his statement in my thread that the low temp thermostat I found, wasn't a low temp thermostat, but a malfunctioning termostat. In over a year, I'd think I'll know if my engine thermostat had "failed open". Click here to enlarge

Just be patient and don't worry about this stuff. If you have the $$ upgrade your trans to level 10, and get stronger metal components. Don't rely on software to fix inherently subpar hardware.

I've talked to cobb. They have TCU flashes for the GTR's DCT. They'll look into this, and if there is anything substancial, they've promised to provide flashes, matted to their maps.

That's good news and we appreciate your efforts in getting something for the people using COBB. But not everyone can afford to go level 10. This is a really big step for those who can't and yes we are taking advantage of the system, but most people can't afford to go to a dealership to have this done also. Chances are a dealer would look at you and ask what you were talking about anyway. So don't let your emotions get the best of you as we are all in this together regardless of what tune or mods you are running.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black335iTT Click here to enlarge
    So anyone in Atlanta area done this flash? I'd be interested. Found out my car is a 05/07 production... So should be good to go!
    I bet you could contact nivedh on e90 not sure if he is here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

I think the TCU is what is different on those transmissions. ZF specifically lists different Mechatronics part number on it's application lists. The range for the first is 02/06-03/07 and the range for the second is 01/07 to 08/07. Unfortunately, the document contains no indication of when it was last revised.

I would like to try retrofiring my transmission from 10/06 with a post 03/07 mechatronics and see what happens.
    You have to keep in mind that the pre 03/07 trans was a 6hp19 first generation. The 03/07 was a 6hp19/TU. Essentially a 6HP21 second generation. So I highly doubt you would be able to just change out the MCM/TCU, but that is just my assumption. Until someone actually does, who knows. You can buy a second gen 6HP19/TU for as little as $850 car-part.com and have it shipped. You would be much better off just swapping the entire trans. I think someone has already done that, but you would have to search as I don't know the details.

Also, DO NOT try to force the update on a pre-03/07 with GKE215. The processor in the 1st gen trans is not the same as the 2nd gen and it will not work. All the 6HP19 gen 1's are GKE211. If anyone has a pre-03/07, you have the option of flashing at your own risk.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jzeee037 Click here to enlarge
    Yeah im excited.When will your car be ready? Also was curious did you ever get any info on cobb upgraded software? May be mistaken but i thought you were looking into it last year? Still need to find time and get with Rob Irish on this as im going to be using cobb and G5 iso for now and upgraded turbos should be coming sometime soon from vargas.It definately shifts better now and hopefully i can post some videos soon. Waiting on internet at my new house to be installed.It sucks using your phone to respond
    i have been using PTF services for tuning. I helped Rob fixing the torque issues on the AT tranny early last year but that on the max boost levels and not the race code i have been testing with PTF. going with lots of load before was shutting down the tranny completely. Hopefully with this flash its going to be much easier to tune.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I can confirm this is the case..... it has been noted in the past... It's not completly clear what the reason is behind this design.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    I know it's still early, but has anyone with the Alpina TCM flash using the COBB tune switched maps to make sure the TCM software doesn't get affected???

I don't see why there should be any complications because the DME engine parameters are completely independent from the TCM settings, so as long as you're using a map without any transmission adjustments it shuld be fine.
    Thanks for volunteering Click here to enlarge ... I'm going to Helix dyno day on saturday so might wana find out before lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    i have been using PTF services for tuning. I helped Rob fixing the torque issues on the AT tranny early last year but that on the max boost levels and not the race code i have been testing with PTF. going with lots of load before was shutting down the tranny completely. Hopefully with this flash its going to be much easier to tune.
    Got it . Hopefully this works well. Everything seems very positive so far so hopefully it works well in combo with trans. build. These guys have done all the work to get us a upgraded program so it would be crazy not to try it out.Thanks to everyone involved in getting this working.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wedge1967 Click here to enlarge
    You have to keep in mind that the pre 03/07 trans was a 6hp19 first generation. The 03/07 was a 6hp19/TU. Essentially a 6HP21 second generation. So I highly doubt you would be able to just change out the MCM/TCU, but that is just my assumption. Until someone actually does, who knows. You can buy a second gen 6HP19/TU for as little as $850 car-part.com and have it shipped. You would be much better off just swapping the entire trans. I think someone has already done that, but you would have to search as I don't know the details.

Also, DO NOT try to force the update on a pre-03/07 with GKE215. The processor in the 1st gen trans is not the same as the 2nd gen and it will not work. All the 6HP19 gen 1's are GKE211. If anyone has a pre-03/07, you have the option of flashing at your own risk.
    That is 100% false. My 10/06 build date has a 6HP21. I have verified this myself by looking at the label.

The 02/06 to 03/07 range is still a 6HP21, just a different mechatronic. Look at the application list in the reference documents sticky. That document is from ZF. It's BMW who seems to have inaccurate documentation, which isn't unheard of for a large company. As long as the parts number are right, the descriptions only matter somewhat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

That is 100% false. My 10/06 build date has a 6HP21. I have verified this myself by looking at the label.

The 02/06 to 03/07 range is still a 6HP21, just a different mechatronic. Look at the application list in the reference documents sticky. That document is from ZF. It's BMW who seems to have inaccurate documentation, which isn't unheard of for a large company. As long as the parts number are right, the descriptions only matter somewhat.
    As I said it was my assumption, but thanks for pointing that out and hopefully with that said, it would be an easy swap for someone then to upgrade the newer MCM version rather than swapping the trans. That you can DIY on a set of jack stands. I agree, BMW has a funny way of screwing things up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

6 out of 6 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm one of the E90post guys who's joined up for this - I just wanted to say thanks. Wonder if I'm the first in the UK to try out your method? I'm delighted to say it works beautifully - the Alpina mapping really seems to suit remapped cars, keeping the revs down in D for fuel economy but shifting very fast in DS for performance Click here to enlarge Thanks again!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by X-ception Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for volunteering Click here to enlarge ... I'm going to Helix dyno day on saturday so might wana find out before lol.
    Haha THAT'S why I asked...... I just wanted to make sure for when you have to flash (map switching, dealer service, etc)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Gaining forum membership by promoting piracy. How you are.
    I didn't realize I was hosting any pirated software?

I think what you meant to say was gaining membership by allowing members to discuss how to improve their cars for their own personal enjoyment as if they should not have the right to modify their BMW's. What you should be criticizing is the software BMW used with the car in the first place and how BMW has done nothing to help owners of modified cars who wish to enjoy their vehicles which is what this is all about. It should be embarrassing that it takes Alpina to fix BMW deficiencies and that owners have to go as far as they do to rectify issues that should not be issues in the first place.

I could continue attempting to explain this to you but I'll just stick my red thumb up your butt instead.

Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast