Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

A year or two ago Brentuning had a flash that had lower boost and made great power. I don't know the specifics any more. I ran the tune before I knew anything about tuning BMW's, based on my positive experience with him tuning my subaru's.

Anyway, I recall him stating that on his non-turbo melting map he didn't get the torque down low that cobb/etc are known for. Why is this relevant? Just another example of a different tuning strategy, and it seems to be similar to what Dzenno was stating.

IIRC the car made 370ish whp @ sea level on 93 octane.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why can't any of you guys live near me? I'd let you run on my dynojet for free until the cows came home just to see what all we can get out of these cars.

-Jeff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 Click here to enlarge
    Why can't any of you guys live near me. I'd let you run on my dynojet for free until the cows came home just to see what all we can get out of these cars.

-Jeff
    You have a dynojet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep. 224XLC (LC = Load Cell)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 Click here to enlarge
    Why can't any of you guys live near me? I'd let you run on my dynojet for free until the cows came home just to see what all we can get out of these cars.

-Jeff
    Speaking of this I have a good buddy of mine who I am trading turbo work for Dyno time. If anyone interested in a Bay Area Dyno day lets put it together. Maybe try to get Terry or Jake out here for it and make it a full Day / BBQ / Bench Racing session.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I datalogged a road course map for DZ when we were tuning my meth map. The road course map made the car feel lighter on it's feet, snappier and eager to get moving. At the onset of full boost the car feels linear and doesn't have that feeling of torque hitting hard, it just pulls eagerly in a linear fashion and seems less prone to traction issues. I prefer the hit of torque on the street so I run that, but I can definetly see some people liking this road course map on the street.
    FBO / HFS-4 / Cobb PTF tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't get to use it very often for myself...kind of a plumber don't fix his own $#@!ter..mentality. But it is just sitting. We have people ask to use it all of the time, but it is mostly people with a POS that is more likely to break on the dyno than make 50hp (That's what you get in WV). So my younger brother and I just dig it out from time to time and tinker. I really need to start studying how to tune these cars, but I think my brain filled up completely when I was learning to tune LSX and mustang engines. I just don't feel like learning something again. Maybe one day. For now I am just letting others do the grunt work for me.

A vid of my first runs with the 135i. This was about 2 years ago, and I may have been on it one more time since then.

Last edited by JHOOPS2; 02-22-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    How much cam timing can you control with cobb or on the engine in general? Advance the intake and exhaust cams some, advancing the intake a little bit more for a little more overlap. That should move the VE curve of the engine down nicely at the expense of what's left of the N54's top end and make 12psi worth of torque stronger down low. It'll hurt spool some and waste fuel, not that it matters with those tiny things on 12psi anyway.

Or it'll make the car fall on its face and explode into expensive german bits. Either way bring a camera and a beer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Maybe just maybe Dzenno and Jake run a business tuning cars for a fee. They figure something out and you expect them to just post the exact details up so people do not need them to tune? Hmmmmmm, makes a bit more sense now doesn't it.
    Maybe just maybe they should keep it under wraps until they actually have something to talk about. Might help keep everyone from calling them out and them getting all testy. Hmmmm, but that would make too much sense now wouldn't it? Click here to enlarge

Seriously though, I couldn't care less about the actual specifics of how they did it, but why tease something that nobody has ever done (supposedly), and then have no proof? At least with the good teasers there are videos or logs or something. Seems like the more vague the claim, the more back and forth bs it generates, ie "forum drama".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by amclint Click here to enlarge
    Maybe just maybe they should keep it under wraps until they actually have something to talk about. Might help keep everyone from calling them out and them getting all testy. Hmmmm, but that would make too much sense now wouldn't it? Click here to enlarge

Seriously though, I couldn't care less about the actual specifics of how they did it, but why tease something that nobody has ever done (supposedly), and then have no proof? At least with the good teasers there are videos or logs or something. Seems like the more vague the claim, the more back and forth bs it generates, ie "forum drama".
    Well said.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I don't race my car on a road course so I'm not really interested in seeing dyno graphs of this new map. What I'd love to see is a dyno of these super top secret Vargas turbos dzenno is testing Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    I don't race my car on a road course so I'm not really interested in seeing dyno graphs of this new map. What I'd love to see is a dyno of these super top secret Vargas turbos dzenno is testing Click here to enlarge
    +infinity

Even if it's full of problems and only puts down 350wheel I want this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    +infinity

Even if it's full of problems and only puts down 350wheel I want this.
    Seriously. Dzenno never even updated us when he put a new drive shaft in his car! Give us some info!
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

@amclint , @themyst : If I can suggest going back to post #13 and looking at how this whole so called teaser started. I was merely responding with our recent findings to someone asking about a road course tune. All of a sudden others jump in and we got our drama

You guys are right though. I did mention numbers in there. I shouldn't have said anything and should've just probably pm-ed with @neilvosko on it as I didn't have forum required dynos for this. In all honesty I think it was just my excitement about these findings that got me to post it there without thinking some ppl would immediately jump on me to show proof or call me a liar even. I've been with this platform for a very long time now always showing full disclosure. I decided against that when certain others started to just throw claims out without hard data to back their claims or full disclosure.

Going forward I'll make sure to have my forum requirements straight for anything I state down the road performance wise but do realize I wasn't calling for forum drama or anything. It was merely an honest response at that moment.

@nafoo , in terms of the driveshaft, here's my UPS tracking number of my broken OEM driveshaft going down to DSS for them to look at and try to make a carbon fiber version of it:

http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/p...85V89546930285

I've done my best to try and get this going with DSS and make a new option that might be worth running on this platform for performance but also safety reasons. I said I'd ship it out the weekend after my last post (which was last weekend) and that's what was done. They're in the process of moving too end of this month beginning of next month and Frank@DSS said he'd have something ready in a couple of weeks.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Everyone holds the tuners to a higher standard of evidence. Dust it off man, you're fine. Everyone gets a little excited sometimes, what makes the tuners present on this board better than that other one is that you guys do usually back things up, and when you can't you don't try to blame others, life moves on and cars go faster. Nobody's calling you a liar, just questioning results. Don't take it as anything else, I'm in science and get it daily from peer reviewers, it's what they do. The college undergrads don't get called out because they aren't on that level, so be proud man, you're respected.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

1 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    @amclint , @themyst : If I can suggest going back to post #13 and looking at how this whole so called teaser started. I was merely responding with our recent findings to someone asking about a road course tune. All of a sudden others jump in and we got our drama

You guys are right though. I did mention numbers in there. I shouldn't have said anything and should've just probably pm-ed with @neilvosko on it as I didn't have forum required dynos for this. In all honesty I think it was just my excitement about these findings that got me to post it there without thinking some ppl would immediately jump on me to show proof or call me a liar even. I've been with this platform for a very long time now always showing full disclosure. I decided against that when certain others started to just throw claims out without hard data to back their claims or full disclosure.

Going forward I'll make sure to have my forum requirements straight for anything I state down the road performance wise but do realize I wasn't calling for forum drama or anything. It was merely an honest response at that moment.

@nafoo , in terms of the driveshaft, here's my UPS tracking number of my broken OEM driveshaft going down to DSS for them to look at and try to make a carbon fiber version of it:

I've done my best to try and get this going with DSS and make a new option that might be worth running on this platform for performance but also safety reasons. I said I'd ship it out the weekend after my last post (which was last weekend) and that's what was done. They're in the process of moving too end of this month beginning of next month and Frank@DSS said he'd have something ready in a couple of weeks.

Fwiw never called you a liar. I said back up your claims with more than virtual dyno numbers. And like you said, you've been around long enough to know better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge

I was joking :p

I like everyone else just want info on the secret Vargas turbos you're running :p
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yep Yandy turned me on to you about the road map flash, lower boost and lots of timing. He is using e85, I may roll on pump gas. It's. pita to constantly fill at two gas stations

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm using G5 ISO with DCI/ secondary kitty less on my 09 XI. I used Cobb with ATR on my Subaru's. both r great, Cobb to me has more to offer with ATR but I have to say, bang for buck, JB4 delivers. I am going to stack them shortly and I guess that will be sweet! The difference simply is Cobb let's u tune, the JB4 does not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123