Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Clutch Job.....Pilot Bearing Got Stuck on Transmission shaft !

This was one of those things that happens during a project that eats up time.

I read that the pilot bearing typically sticks on the flywheel retainer but in my case it was stuck in the tranny input shaft. Not sure if this is common, but may explain why it took a little bit of prying to separate the bell-housing from the engine.

Anyways, we tried an extraction tool and a few other tricks, but we ended up welding a hammer puller on the inside of the gutted pilot bearing and that did the trick.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

At least you finally got it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

That's the centering sleeve. It always is stuck in the tranny output shaft, and is a PITA to remove (I normally just leave it in). I removed it using a a hooked tool.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...87&hg=11&fg=20
    700 and change

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes, fighting with that is very common

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok guys I know this is an old thread but damn am I pissed off right now. My friend and I cannot get this thing out for $#@!. Welding is the only thing we haven't tried so this maybe next. Thanks for the idea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vbp6us Click here to enlarge
    Ok guys I know this is an old thread but damn am I pissed off right now. My friend and I cannot get this thing out for $#@!. Welding is the only thing we haven't tried so this maybe next. Thanks for the idea.
    Is there a reason it can't be left in?
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Its been said many times before, Never ever change the bearing unless you absolutely need to. You can cause problems internal to the tranny beating it out of the input shaft. Best practice is to clean it, inspect, and re-grease it as necessary. I know this doesn't help you at the moment but hopefully it helps others in the future.
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Have a single turbo and/or tired of burning up O2 sensors? Ask me about the new ADV retro kits!

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    Mods: VM 6466 top mount, VRSF IC, twin disk, and lots more!
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vbp6us Click here to enlarge
    Should have done some reading first. After my run in with that bearing I started posting in nearly every clutch thread telling everyone to leave the bearing alone and not to replace it unless it is causing issues. Most seem to have heeded my advice, but it seems those that primarily live on e90post are doomed to repeat the past. I suggest you spend more time over here in the future. Your sanity and car will thank you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I was discussing this with someone the other day, and to me it didn't seem apparent that you really needed to change it unless it was clearly damaged/scored. It's stuck to the hardened steel shaft, and in the case of the person I was talking to, they just cut it off using a grinder, which failed to marr the shaft underneath, luckily for them. I wouldn't recommend that. Lol.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

im doing my clutch in 2 weeks and bought the pilot bearing, maybe i'll just skip it. car only has 75k miles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by foe516 Click here to enlarge
    im doing my clutch in 2 weeks and bought the pilot bearing, maybe i'll just skip it. car only has 75k miles.
    Skip it for sure. Don't waste the energy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    Is there a reason it can't be left in?
    If you have the right hydraulic BMW tool, changing it out is not that bad. If you're like me (and most people) who don't have the tool, it can suck. Let me put it this way, I called the local BMW/Mini dealership and they said they don't even replace that part when they're doing a clutch job.

Try the small grease gun method first and if you have no luck with it, skip it. Don't smash it with a chisel though.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 3000gt MR Click here to enlarge
    Its been said many times before, Never ever change the bearing unless you absolutely need to. You can cause problems internal to the tranny beating it out of the input shaft. Best practice is to clean it, inspect, and re-grease it as necessary. I know this doesn't help you at the moment but hopefully it helps others in the future.
    I wish I started a thread here and I wish you screamed in my face not to touch it.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    Should have done some reading first. After my run in with that bearing I started posting in nearly every clutch thread telling everyone to leave the bearing alone and not to replace it unless it is causing issues. Most seem to have heeded my advice, but it seems those that primarily live on e90post are doomed to repeat the past. I suggest you spend more time over here in the future. Your sanity and car will thank you.
    I really regret not researching it enough. Please, keep telling people not to change it. I know I would have appreciated it.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kommodore Click here to enlarge
    I was discussing this with someone the other day, and to me it didn't seem apparent that you really needed to change it unless it was clearly damaged/scored. It's stuck to the hardened steel shaft, and in the case of the person I was talking to, they just cut it off using a grinder, which failed to marr the shaft underneath, luckily for them. I wouldn't recommend that. Lol.
    How did they get a grinder to fit in that small diameter? I thought about it for a second but decided against that method or using heat.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by foe516 Click here to enlarge
    Try the small grease gun method first and if you have no luck with it, skip it.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    Skip it for sure. Don't waste the energy.
    I think this is sound advice after quickly trying the grease gun method. It should only take a few minutes to find out whether it works or not. The gun with grease is $10 at Harbor Freight. But yeah in general, skip it.

Good news guys. My friend got it out while I was at work. He used a drill to make the hole bigger and then stuck a screw in there to pull it out. Not the best way but I wasn't there to suggest the grease gun method. Welding on second thought might be too hot for a tranny. It could damage seals and what not so I'm glad we didn't go that route.