Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Best cost affective way to check and adjust AFR's

Got a beater automatic 01 Corolla I slapped some exhaust and an intake on and it got slower after the mods. Checked the plugs after a good flogging and it looks like it's running lean. Any good cost affective ways to tell, I looked at an innovate handheld a few years ago but kinda pricey for something you wouldn't use much nowdays.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Get a dyno and take a look at the air/fuel?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    dyno

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dyno -- It'll be ~$100 for some pulls. Otherwise you're looking at an AFR gauge (unnecessary) or a MoTeC AFR Meter for ~$900
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ended up trying an Innovate LC-1 that I picked up for $135. Seemed to work out pretty nice have an analog output that I could send the the factory ECU while datalogging. Found that it was running lean at basically anything in open loop mode of a richest of 13.7:1. Ended up being the MAF sensor now runs in the 12.5:1 range like it should. So if anybody is working on a cheap project and needs a quick and easy way I'd definitely recommend it, it's made to hard wire which I ended up doing for now but if I wasn't taking over the factory O2 spot I would have skipped the analog output to the ECU and just wired it up to a cigarette lighter adapter and had a cheap tool for the toolbox.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics