Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Dynos and Driver Impressions - VT2-500 with Evolve and ESS Files

Dyno results tell part of the story, and so does the driving experience.
    This E46 M3 is my only car, the daily in sun, rain, and snow. Occasional HPDE, open lapping, and TT.
    Going to the dark side has been a temptation for several years, one to which I finally succumbed in March, 2012.
    The car has always been, and is more than ever now, a treat to drive. And, the old, dated E46 M3 still looks damn good.

I ran the ESS file from March, 2012 until August, 2012.
    That August, I bought a maf-less s/c tune from Evolve, and was just as impressed with the driveability as I was with their NA tune I loaded in May, 2011.
    (My Evolve NA review: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=366560)
    I ran the Evolve file from August, 2012 until early February, 2013.

In early February, 2013, I re-loaded the ESS file, ran it for a week (350 miles), and did a 3 run dyno set.
    With the car still strapped to the dyno, I then loaded the Evolve file I had used for a September and December, 2012 dyno session (I'll call this Evolve_1). Did another 3 run dyno set.
    Finally, I loaded the Evolve file got from Sal in mid-December; one that was identical to the September file, but with a slightly richer fuel map at WOT (Evolve_2). Did a final 3 run dyno set. This is the file I'm now running.

I did the dynos to have some comparison fun, and to confirm that AFRs are good.
    All are posted as SAE, Smoothing 4.
    All are on the same Dynojet machine, all performed by the same dyno operator, who knows what he is doing.
    All runs were in 4th gear.
    During all of the sessions, the engine oil temp gauge did not go past 210 degrees F, and the water temp gauge did not move past the middle buffer zone.

Note: The ESS and Evolve files were sent to me for a setup with Euro Headers and Euro section 1 with cats.

In December, 2012, I switched to Supersprint V1 stepped headers, and the related SS section 1 with HJS cats.
    Using the Evolve_1 file I had from September, 2012, the dyno showed a 25 rwhp SAE increase, with the identical file!
    This was an increase I could also feel in the driver's seat.
    On the whole, I think the dyno differences between the ESS and Evolve files are not huge.
    (The most significant dyno difference was between the Euro and SS headers/section 1 setups. Much more VE with the stepped/hjs combo).

The most significant difference to me is how it feels to drive with the two different files.
    The driving experience means as much to me as any dyno power result. Maybe even more.
    I'm sensitive to everything from start up to shut down. Idle to throttle tip-in to throttle release, and everything in between.
    Partial load throttle modulation, which is where the majority of driving time is spent, especially on street.

I was very impressed with the driveability of the NA Evolve tune, and I'm just as impressed with Sal's FI calibration.
    Every aspect of the engine performance is smooth and strong; feels superb. Sal knows how to make an S54 engine happy. From my forum readings, he also knows how to make S62 and S65 engines happy.
    'Happy' is a highly technical term. I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night . . . . . . . .

Is the ESS file good? Yes, of course it is. Is the Evolve file better? I certainly think so.
    Even where dyno graphs are close, how the power is delivered and felt by the driver is different.
    With several thousand miles on both files, I've had no CEL messages related to either file.

The ESS folks tell me that Sal's tunes are dangerous for the engine. So far, I've seen no specific or anecdotal evidence to support this claim.
    I've read of many happy Evolve customers, folks with NA and FI setups. I've read of many happy ESS customers.
    I also see reports from happy customers of Active Autowerke, Dinan, Epic, Frank Jones, Nick Glantzis, and I'm sure I'm missing somebody, so I apologize for that.

My point is that there are a number of tuning options these days, NA and FI. I'm glad I was able to exercise one of those options.
    I'm glad that the S54 community has all of these options for hardware and software for NA and FI setups.

2006 BMW M3 Coupe - 94,000 miles, of which the last 13,000 have been with an FI setup.
    5,500 ft MSL - the mile high city.
    Ambient air temps about 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Fuel 91 AKI - a.k.a. 91 US piss, with 10% Ethanol - the highly coveted winter blend. in Denver.
    ESS VT2-500 hardware, but with the Vortech 3.125" s/c pulley. Need this to get 7 p.s.i. at altitude.
    Supersprint V1 stepped headers and related SS section 1 with HJS cats.
    Supersprint resonated x-pipe, Supersprint Street muffler.
    3.91 M-Variable Diff, Bimmerworld CR radiator, AA sport fan clutch.

Pics at the dyno shop. Before starting the session, the operator moved and secured the cord you see hanging across the front of the car.
    Also, a brief video of the engine bay during one of the pulls.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Evolve_2 and ESS: closest to the average for the dyno set for each file.
    The Evolve_2 file is what I'm continuing to run.
    Some more power on the dyno and smoother power delivery through all phases of operation.
    Also, feels like more push through the mid-RPM range.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Additional dyno pics from the session.

ESS file, all 3 runs.

Click here to enlarge

Evolve_1 file, all 3 runs.

Click here to enlarge

Evolve_2 file, all 3 runs.

Click here to enlarge

ESS highest compared to Evolve lowest.

Click here to enlarge

Evolve highest compared to ESS lowest.

Click here to enlarge

Evolve highest compared to ESS highest.

Click here to enlarge

Evolve lowest compared to ESS lowest.

Click here to enlarge

Evolve_1 file in December, 2012 comparing:
    Euro headers/Euro catted section 1, and stock 3.62 diff ratio
    to
    Supersprint V1 stepped headers and SS section 1 with HJS cats, and 3.91 diff ratio
    Same dyno as all of the other runs, same operator, same gear (4th), same fuel, same tires, etc.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like the evolve tunings get some extra power output by leaning up the mixture in the high revs.
    But I don't know if that's a good thing. The evolve 1 file has the highest output and creates a leaner mixture as the revs are rising. Not the best choice for the lifespan of your valves (especially as a daily driver). The ESS file has a nice rich mixture all the way to the revlimiter with virtually the same output as de evolve2 file, so maybe the ess file will give your motor a better lifespan.
    How power delivery feels is off course also dependend on the throttle response and how it's programmed, so there's a lot of room for personal taste.

I wonder how the mafless tunes hold up with different temperatures etc (especially the afr)
    E85 Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Custom Brembo BBK front/rear | Schrick cams | Schmiedmann headers/cats | Powerflex/strongflex/PSB PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The AFR is still very rich and that's not the only aspect changed.

We run less ignition timing targets and this brings down the EGT's. It is EGT's that burn out valves.

Stock Euro E46 M3's run between 13.5-14.0 AFR. No sign of burnt valves and this is considered to be extremely lean to most people. The EGT's however are nice and low as the ignition advance never really passes 18-20 degrees.

It is all about EGT's and how safe the engine is. Not solely the air fuel ratio.

What you also have to appreciate is the AFR will actually richer nearer the cyl heads and this really puts it in the very rich area. Running too rich is also not at all great for your engine!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thank you for sharing @normcaldwell and @evolve.

Can't wait to drive your car Norm once you get the snow tires off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by normcaldwell Click here to enlarge
    Using the Evolve_1 file I had from September, 2012, the dyno showed a 25 rwhp SAE increase, with the identical file!
    Quite impressive.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by normcaldwell Click here to enlarge
    Evolve_2 and ESS: closest to the average for the dyno set for each file.
    The Evolve_2 file is what I'm continuing to run.
    Some more power on the dyno and smoother power delivery through all phases of operation.
    Also, feels like more push through the mid-RPM range.
    Very nice overlay, thank you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GuidoK Click here to enlarge
    Looks like the evolve tunings get some extra power output by leaning up the mixture in the high revs.
    Not every motor is created equally, so not every motor's "ideal" AFR is a perfect 12.0.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ess runs a maf on their supercharger kits? I didn't know this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    Think he's referring to the Evolve MAF-less retune on the ESS supercharger kit
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    No MAF on the ESS kits.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Yep.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry I misread the post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not every motor is created equally, so not every motor's "ideal" AFR is a perfect 12.0.
    I know, but as there's no logged info in this thread on the egt etc (the input that evolve gives us), or the timing for that matter, so we cannot conclude anything from that. Also egt is a bit difficult to monitor properly. If you vary afr and timing, you vary the the point, intensity and duration of the combustion/reaction (combustion takes place in one form or another all the way to the cat's), which can result in different temperatures in different places of the exhaust. Ideally you should put a thermocouple inside the cilinderhead exhaust port, but I doubt they (can) do that, so in that case it puts the importance of that data in some perspective. Some people even monitor egt after the header (near the first labmda etc).

All we can see is that both the ESS file and the evolve 2 file give about the same output in both power and torque. There are -from the given logged input- only 2 conclusions from those 2 files: 1. the ESS afr is much lower, 2, the ESS afr is more constant. The evolve afr output varies with lowest between 5 and 6,5k revs and then rises. Why is that? (the wobble in the graph is also seen in the ess file but less dominant).
    Last edited by GuidoK; 02-20-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    E85 Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Custom Brembo BBK front/rear | Schrick cams | Schmiedmann headers/cats | Powerflex/strongflex/PSB PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GuidoK Click here to enlarge
    The evolve afr output varies with lowest between 5 and 6,5k revs and then rises. Why is that? (the wobble in the graph is also seen in the ess file but less dominant).
    Because EGT and cylinder pressure are not static and change at various RPM points...